September 11th, 2001

Share stories, thoughts and respect here.

I'd like to take this opportunity, also, to share a story.
Last year I researched for hours and hours trying to find who this man was, why he was there, and what his last moments would have been like. This is what I was able to find.

He was a waiter for the Windows on the World restaurant on the 106th floor. I found this by matching this picture of the restaurant's staff in uniform (white tunic, black dress pants).
There was a conference taking up the 106th floor of the restaurant for Risk Waters Financial Technology Congress, and the rest of the restaurant was closed that day. What was open was a remote restaurant connected to Windows on the World called Wild Blue, which was only for building employees.
He was most likely assigned to serve there with a few others.

The first plane hit at 8:46 AM, crashing underneath them. Elevators would not work, and stairway doorknobs would be burning hot. There would be no light in the restaurant, but emergency light would be activated. Before long very dark smoke would start rising from elevator doors, stairway doors, and vents. Many calls were made from the restaurant, and all of which were responded to by telling them to remain calm, not to move, and that help was coming. No help was coming.
He took refuge in the North side of the 107th floor in the closed restaurant, as it was not blocked by the smoke. He was most likely looking down and watching people run from the towers. He would've been able to hear and feel the impact of the second plane hitting the South Tower. Windows were broken, and he would have been able to faintly hear sirens over the wind and screams. Sirens that could not help him.

Many people were crowded in that same room. Many people started jumping before he did.

He jumped to his death at 9:41 AM. It would have taken approximately 11.23 seconds to complete the fall.
Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Shhhh. Some people would rather fight with each other today, it seems.

Life goes on (la la, how the life goes on).

I mentioned elsewhere how today runs a gamut of different emotions for me...both somberness and celebration, and much in-between.

Must say the first photo up there threw me, as it's an image (one of too many, unfortunately) from that day; one I will never forget. A day I'll never forget.

To be faced with that decision to jump, my god. To actually decide to? My god again.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I'll also mourn the 1.5M Iraqis that died when they had nothing to do with it.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Days like this remind me to stay off social media.
  • unsung said:

No question the world changed for the worse that day. I don't have any hope or expectation it will get better.

I can't imagine having to make the decision to jump. It probably wasn't much of a decision based on their situation.
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    unsung said:

This is a thread about September 11th, not it's aftermath. The people being remembered today had nothing to do with the events described by you. Take the negativity elsewhere.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    ehbacon said:

Share stories, thoughts and respect here.

I'd like to take this opportunity, also, to share a story.
    Last year I researched for hours and hours trying to find who this man was, why he was there, and what his last moments would have been like. This is what I was able to find.

He was a waiter for the Windows on the World restaurant on the 106th floor. I found this by matching this picture of the restaurant's staff in uniform (white tunic, black dress pants).
    There was a conference taking up the 106th floor of the restaurant for Risk Waters Financial Technology Congress, and the rest of the restaurant was closed that day. What was open was a remote restaurant connected to Windows on the World called Wild Blue, which was only for building employees.
    He was most likely assigned to serve there with a few others.

The first plane hit at 8:46 AM, crashing underneath them. Elevators would not work, and stairway doorknobs would be burning hot. There would be no light in the restaurant, but emergency light would be activated. Before long very dark smoke would start rising from elevator doors, stairway doors, and vents. Many calls were made from the restaurant, and all of which were responded to by telling them to remain calm, not to move, and that help was coming. No help was coming.
    He took refuge in the North side of the 107th floor in the closed restaurant, as it was not blocked by the smoke. He was most likely looking down and watching people run from the towers. He would've been able to hear and feel the impact of the second plane hitting the South Tower. Windows were broken, and he would have been able to faintly hear sirens over the wind and screams. Sirens that could not help him.

Many people were crowded in that same room. Many people started jumping before he did.

He jumped to his death at 9:41 AM. It would have taken approximately 11.23 seconds to complete the fall.

Thanks for sharing and putting in the effort to find out who this poor fellow was, rest in peace to him and all those who perished that day.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    ehbacon said:

unsung said:

This is a thread about September 11th, not it's aftermath. The people being remembered today had nothing to do with the events described by you. Take the negativity elsewhere.
    Morning the loss of innocent life is not negativity buddy. It's all relevant.
    ehbacon said:

unsung said:

Can I post about the people that died prior to 9/11 that lead to 9/11 or are we only allowed to post about those that died on 9/11 alone?
    edited September 2016
    unsung said:

ehbacon said:

unsung said:

Can I post about the people that died prior to 9/11 that lead to 9/11 or are we only allowed to post about those that died on 9/11 alone?
    I think on 9/11 we should focus on the innocent people that parished on this day, if you want to bring up the vast injustices of the US government then do it in another thread.

I understand what you are trying to say, but at least to me it seems like you are trying to take the attention away from these people which i think is way out of line
    Post edited by ehbacon on
  • unsung said:

ehbacon said:

unsung said:

You are picking a fucking fight online with someone who just wants to remember the people that died on the 15th anniversary. Go talk to shrink or go for a walk because that is just stupid.
    I won't apologize that these people would still be alive if we didn't stick our noses in the middle east, but by all means don't let me ruin your day. Go fly your flags.
  • unsung said:

I won't apologize that these people would still be alive if we didn't stick our noses in the middle east, but by all means don't let me ruin your day. Go fly your flags.

You must be a miserable person to be around.
    unsung said:

Can you read? Where was this a nationalist thread? That's the opposite of what i wanted. But now you are trying to make it a nationalist thread, which is something you hate.

Please can we get back to the topic and stop with this bs?

Let us pay respect.
    ehbacon said:

unsung said:

Can you read? Where was this a nationalist thread? That's the opposite of what i wanted. But now you are trying to make it a nationalist thread, which is something you hate.

Please can we get back to the topic and stop with this bs?

Let us pay respect.
    Know that some are paying their respects, bacon.

I hope some also know that paying respects over this particular incident doesn't mean disrespect toward other horrors in this world.

I tend to think about the day(s) after, when people were actually decent toward and considerate of each other. Differences weren't seen, or if they were, thought of and treated as ultimately petty.
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    Go to this site and click on a name. The New York Times ran small bios of every victim they could find.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/us/sept-11-reckoning/portraits-of-grief.html?_r=0
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I appreciate the OP's efforts to remember those lost (whether NYC or elsewhere) on that terrible day.

I share unsung's feeling regarding, "Days like this remind me to stay off social media. "

I share Hedonist's and bootlegger10's feelings about how horrible it would be to have to decide to jump. I don't even like going up into high buildings let alone think about such a horrible fate.

As for arguing on a thread like this- no thanks. That just seems very out of place here.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited September 2016

unsung said:

You must be a miserable person to be around.
    Only to those that go rah-rah based on a date.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2016
    brianlux said:

I appreciate the OP's efforts to remember those lost (whether NYC or elsewhere) on that terrible day.

I share unsung's feeling regarding, "Days like this remind me to stay off social media. "

I share Hedonist's and bootlegger10's feelings about how horrible it would be to have to decide to jump. I don't even like going up into high buildings let alone think about such a horrible fate.

As for arguing on a thread like this- no thanks. That just seems very out of place here.

The jumpers always got to me the most, ever since I saw them falling on live TV that horrible morning when I woke up to the second plane hitting. To this day I tear up when I think about what those people must have been going through, and my empathy for them is actually almost too much to take sometimes. I can't stop myself from envisioning it, almost like a half-memory of my own. My thoughts will always be with all the victims and all those many people who lost someone they knew, but most of all my heart sticks on the jumpers. Those poor people waving from those windows in the futile hope that maybe someone would figure out a way to save them, and quickly realizing they had to save themselves from the smoke and flames by jumping to their deaths. It seems somehow heroic to me. And the people who knew their loved one was in there, and was maybe one of those people coming out the windows. :heartbreak::heartbreak:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    PJ_Soul said:

I never went to NYC until 5 years after 9/11, and I didn't know own what to expect from New Yorkers or New York. Of course their reputation was always that they were a fiery, unfriendly bunch,and the city had the reputation of being, among other things, dir

brianlux said:

The jumpers always got to me the most, ever since I saw them falling on live TV that horrible morning when I woke up to the second plane hitting. To this day I tear up when I think about what those people must have been going through, and my empathy for them is actually almost too much to take sometimes. I can't stop myself from envisioning it, almost like a half-memory of my own. My thoughts will always be with all the victims and all those many people who lost someone they knew, but most of all my heart sticks on the jumpers. Those poor people waving from those windows in the futile hope that maybe someone would figure out a way to save them, and quickly realizing they had to save themselves from the smoke and flames by jumping to their deaths. It seems somehow heroic to me. And the people who knew their loved one was in there, and was maybe one of those people coming out the windows. :heartbreak::heartbreak:
    Yes, the loss of life and how it happened was the most sad and tragic result of 9/11. Though not as important as the loss of life, the loss of the Helen Keller Library as well as 20 other libraries lost in the World Trade Center is also terribly sad.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I think -
    15 years in I finally understand why president bush attacked Afghanistan and Iraq. This country was attacked in a manor that we hadn't seen since world war 2. (Divine wind). Good on him trying to bring the war over there as opposed to here. Fuck radical Islam.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    unsung said:

The taliban and al qaeda attacked us. They deserved what they got. Fuck them.
    PJ_Soul said:

I never went to NYC until 5 years after 9/11, and I didn't know own what to expect from New Yorkers or New York. Of course their reputation was always that they were a fiery, unfriendly bunch,and the city had the reputation of being, among other things, dir

brianlux said:

I was watching a documentary earlier and full-on sobbed at some of the footage. Had to change the channel to Jeff Fucking Lewis (love him, but total opposite end of the spectrum vs where I was).

And unsung, rah-rah'ing? Based on A DATE? Pretty low blow. Please, do keep off this site if that's all you can contribute. I've held respect for you, but c'mon...plenty of other places to get in unwarranted digs.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    edited September 2016
    also good to remember our neighbor Canada stepping up to house the folks on all those diverted planes.

I wonder if the friendships born in those days endure.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

also good to remember our neighbor Canada stepping up to house the folks on all those diverted planes.

our neighbor to the north was also our ally during ww1 and ww2. canada stepped to the plate way before 2001.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

our neighbor to the north was also our ally during ww1 and ww2. canada stepped to the plate way before 2001.
    no you're right. it was meaningless they accepted strangers in their homes.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

no you're right. it was meaningless they accepted strangers in their homes.
    What? Are you trying to make a connection to what you saw in "lone survivor"?
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    mcgruff10 said:

I think -
    15 years in I finally understand why president bush attacked Afghanistan and Iraq. This country was attacked in a manor that we hadn't seen since world war 2. (Divine wind). Good on him trying to bring the war over there as opposed to here. Fuck radical Islam.

Please, please forgive me I don't mean to detract from the OP's wonderful effort in posting this thread on this day. However, regardless of how this country was attacked that terrible action gives this country the right to go out and attack Afghanistan and Iraq? IF so why not attack Saudi Arabia where most of those (terrorists) who attacked us were from.

ALL LIVES MATTER across the vast expanse of this wrorld....the 1.5 million plus that have been killed due those wars matter. Such a terrible day.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p said:

mcgruff10 said:

I think -

Please, please forgive me I don't mean to detract from the OP's wonderful effort in posting this thread on this day. However, regardless of how this country was attacked that terrible action gives this country the right to go out and attack Afghanistan and Iraq? IF so why not attack Saudi Arabia where most of those (terrorists) who attacked us were from.

ALL LIVES MATTER across the vast expanse of this wrorld....the 1.5 million plus that have been killed due those wars matter. Such a terrible day.

Peace

I don't know how you can defend not atracking Afghanistan and like I said it took me 15 years to understand why president bush attacked Iraq.
    So your complaint is we didn't arrack Saudi Arabia?? Well I agree with you. We should have.
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    mcgruff10 said:

g under p said:

mcgruff10 said:

I think -

Peace

I don't know how you can defend not atracking Afghanistan and like I said it took me 15 years to understand why president bush attacked Iraq.
    So your complaint is we didn't arrack Saudi Arabia?? Well I agree with you. We should have.
    Let's hear why it took 15 years to understand why Bush attacked Iraq.
    Because the United States was attacked in a way unforeseen since 1941. Your best intelligence pointed to Iraq.
    You could make the same argument against Germany during ww2.