*** Eddie Vedder Ohana Festival Fanviews Here 8/27/16 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited September 2016 in Given To Fly (live)
Eddie Vedder
Ohana Festival
Dana Point, CA
August 27, 2016
Show

Ed performs “New World” with X
Ed performs “Shine On You Crazy Diamond” with Jack Irons
Ed performs “(What’s So Funny About) Peace, Love and Understanding?” with Elvis Costello

Intro Music:Tuolumne
Ed Onstage:07:56
Ed Offstage:09:31

01. Can’t Keep
02. Sleeping By Myself
03. Without You
(praises Elvis Costello, suggests a certain presidential candidate needs a ukulele and enumerates the ways it would be beneficial.)
04. Soon Forget
05. Trouble-(Stevens)
06. Dead Man
07. Brain Damage-(Waters) (first verse only)
08. Sometimes
09. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away-(Lennon, McCartney)
(my first wave..)
10. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
11. No Ceiling
12. Far Behind
13. Guaranteed
14. Out Of Sand-(First live performance. Ed performed it at Jack White’s studio to a wax cylinder. It has been released as a bonus single with the live to acetate package)
15. Good Woman-(Marshall)
16. Better Man
17. Parting Ways
18. Unthought Known (acoustic guitar)
19. Indifference-with Kelly Slater
20. Porch
21. Hard Sun -(Peterson)
22. Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young) with Jack Irons, John Doe, Mark Arm, Steve Turner, Ben Bridwell and many others

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.
Thank you!

Thanks John for the set list & notes.
Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,839
    Looks like a great set! What a way to finish...Rockin' with Jack Irons.
    Wish Ed would release a boot. Thanks to all involved. Hope everyone enjoyed the show.
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Looks like a great set!! Man why can't they play parting ways full band?!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Porch was in there too.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Sea, Dimitris' list in the set list thread looks correct to me.

Excellent set list. Had a great time. I wish Parting Ways was played more, it's such a terrific song. Ed sounded great.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Missing Hard Sun and Porch after Indifference. Great set and he sounded excellent even on periscope!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    Would LOVE to hear Shine and What's so Funny.

Xmas singles??
  • jfconnorjrjfconnorjr Posts: 518
    It was wonderful!!! I have to say that I did noticed Ed was not drinking last night. He sounded good and pretty on top of his game. He did flub some but you could tell he was dialed in.
  • Just to fill in details on some of the talk:
    Ed thinks Trump should have a ukulele because it evens out your mood (hard to be mad when you have one), because it was introduced to us by immigrants, and because...it's helpful if you have small hands.

The first wave Ed ever surfed was at the break next to the venue. He was 11 years old surfing with his buddy and used a bungee cord for a leash, but this led to the board whipping back at him pretty violently.

Introduced Kelly Slater as having just come back from teahupoo and won a contest there. Kelly did a pretty great job on Indifference despite admitting that he was nervous. Played and sang.

There was more but in general Ed kept the talk to a minimum because of the strict curfew. No breaks or encores. Fantastic show with a beautiful set list. New song is gorgeous.

Band of Horses was great. Listen to them!
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007

It was wonderful!!! I have to say that I did noticed Ed was not drinking last night. He sounded good and pretty on top of his game. He did flub some but you could tell he was dialed in.

He toned it down for the 2 GA shows I was at this tour. I couldn't really see at Fenway.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Here's a photo I took. Turned out blurry at first, but found a way to make it look really cool! Great place to see a concert, just wish the lines had been shorter for food! That whole crowd was there for Eddie, and there had to be somewhere around 20,000 people there, give or take a few thousand. Very impressive turnout.

Full review: http://www.alternativenation.net/eddie-vedder-debuts-new-material-reunites-ex-pearl-jam-drummer/
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    This was one for the ages...
    Ed's voice was so strong & the sound was fantastic! The slowed down 'Betterman' was gorgeous...'Parting Ways' was so perfect. 'Out of Sand' really is a beautiful piece of song-writing, this will for sure be a favorite. A few fun hiccups on 'Hide Your Love Away', 'No Ceiling' & 'Far Behind', but Ed hilariously more than made up for them by telling funny stories about wishing he could blame the band as well as his testicles...LOL...'Brain Damage' into 'Sometimes' was so perfect. Was cool to get that on the 20th birthday of No Code; and likewise 'Porch' on #25 for Ten!
    'Rockin in the Free World' with everyone but Elvis Costello at the end was just sick. The affection Ed has for Jack Irons really showed, and was on display not only when he beamed on bringing him on for RITFW, but also early in the afternoon when they embraced after Jack's 1st set on the Tiki Stage. Jack's 2nd set w/ a collaboration w/ Ed for "Shine On You Crazy Diamond' truly was great. Jack's set were so goovy and interesting, the guy is so super creative, such a pleasure to enjoy his art!
    The whole day was fantastic and just might have been one of the greatest festival days I've ever spent...beach, brews, nice breeze, well organized, EVERY musical performance was.superb! Additional highlights of the day:
    Mudhoney completely rocked the crowd. They were sensational, as were Band of Horses...they performed a cover of Neil Young's 'Powderfinger' that was legendary. Truly special. Run (don't walk) if BOH is.coming to a stage anywhere near you...they were THAT great.
    The energy from White Reaper was fantastic and Ed was side stage rockin out to them (very cool to see).
    X delivered per usual, and Ed coming out during 'New World' gave the afternoon a tremendous jolt! Good stuff.
    Elvis Costello rearranged a lot of songs, truly solo and he sounded great. He and Eddie doing 'Peace Love &.Understanding' really was special.
    Mark Arm hung out in the crowd during Elvis' set...he shook my hand and took a picture with the 8 yr.old fan near me. Incredible moment.
    Dennis Rodman was walking around taking pictures with fans as well.
    So awesome to see the THOUSANDS of PJ/Ed tour shirts and 10Clubbers hanging out & being super friendly. Great peeps!
    The venue had an intimate vibe yet there had to be 20 thousand people.there. Super spot for live music!
    Overall a great day, one of the greatest days of music I've ever spent. Now if Pearl Jam would just get back to San Diego...lol...been too long my friends...

Can't wait for Temple in November (L.A.)!!!
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24
    Yes, the lines were long. I expected there would be more food available.
    We arrived near the end of Mudhoney's set (that shuttle bus took a while, lol). We enjoyed all the acts we heard -- great to hear X still kicking it!

We did not try to get close, and back by the bleachers I'd say half the crowd was into the music and the other half was busy talking, but Ed sounded great, we got to hear some songs we had been hoping to hear at Wrigley, it was a beautiful evening.
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited August 2016
    The Tiki Stage? I knew I shoulda gone to this show.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Did Jack Irons look as happy and healthy as he did in that promo pic for the festival? So great to see him just beaming in the pic! Did he mention if he has new music coming out soon? Live shows maybe?
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    looks like a special night.. would love to see some vids.. (wish ev would stop hogging all the cant keep openers for his solo, been dying to see pj do it! its turned into my white whale)

any surfers on here run into ed over the weekend on the waves? would love to hear some stories

'98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    mcgruff10 said:

my thought exactly......please play with full band parting ways

thanks Sea

ps..
    20.PORCH
    21.HARD SUN

those 2 played before rockin in the freee world
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Out of sand was great! Also his comments about the sun reminding him of Trump either because of the bright orange glow or because hes going down.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427

Out of sand was great! Also his comments about the sun reminding him of Trump either because of the bright orange glow or because hes going down.

Love that!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Looks like a great set, but I bet the location made it even better.

mcgruff10 said:

Parting Ways was one of the highlights of the Spectrum shows, for me -- that was a gorgeous performance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhQWf8H2jsE
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Would have been super cool to see.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201

Looks like a great set, but I bet the location made it even better.

Yeah this seems like such a cool experience. Hopefully he does it again in the future, I'd love to try and make the trip.
  • korn-1korn-1 Los Angeles, transplanted from Chicago Posts: 914
    edited August 2016
    Was truly a fantastic show! Setting was amazing with the beach behind, palm trees swaying in a wonderful breeze, and very laid back flow of the whole event. Got there about half an hour after doors opened and secured a spot on the rail, try that at a PJ show haha! Have pretty good vids of Elvis and Ed doing (whats so fun 'bout) Peace Love and Understanding and Out of Sand that i will share after work today if anyone is interested.
    Post edited by korn-1 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • rplattrplatt Posts: 2
    A day later, it's hard to grasp and relate what I saw last night. I've seen dozens of great shows over the years - Stones and Pink Floyd in their prime, Springsteen's Born To Run Tour and multiple shows since, PJ many times including four times on this tour starting in FL - but last night was the best concert/group of performers I have ever seen. Hide Your Love was my highlight. I never thought I would see John Lennon's equal but his name is Eddie. It was perfection.
  • socalstylesocalstyle Columbus, OH Posts: 40
    Being from San clemente, ca and living in Ohio I am bummed I missed a true "hometown" show. Glad I could be at Wrigley 2 but think this would have meant more. Surf vibe for sure and much love for SoCal getting this treat.
    03 - Irvine
    10 - Columbus
    13 - Pittsburgh
    16 - Lexington, Chicago 2
    18 - Seattle 2, Missoula, Boston 1
  • Does anyone have video of "Out of Sand"?
  • billstpetebillstpete St. Petersburg, FL Posts: 10
    So wished I booked thie flight here after Wrigley. What a great set list. Thanks to the Periscopers, I along with many got to live vicariously through you all. Till the next run... Thanks
  • Thanks korn1!
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

mcgruff10 said:

Parting Ways was one of the highlights of the Spectrum shows, for me -- that was a gorgeous performance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhQWf8H2jsE
    Perfect!
  • Who I AmWho I Am Posts: 644
    Dead Man - good morning
    Sometimes - good afternoon
    Parting Ways - good night
    Indifference - sweet dreams

Amazing setting, vibe, people....mahalo!

02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    30SEP2009 - Universal City, CA
    09OCT2009 - San Diego, CA
    06JUL2011 - Long Beach, CA (EV)