Randalls Island, New York shows from 1996

2»

Comments

• I have a good boot from night II. 3 cds and at the end of disc 3 has eddie playing with the Doors at the Rock N Roll HOF.
    Why isnt there a boot from night I???
    Or is there??????

and if so, how do i get one?????????

I have it, and the quality is fine.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    I have it, and the quality is fine.

Any chance you can share it?
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • pink1969pink1969 Posts: 245
    Hey all, first time posting and new member to the pit. That was an awesome show. I was on vacation in Wildwood, NJ when I started calling frantically from the hotel phone trying to get tickets. I was lucky before getting tickets to the Paramount show in April of '94 and got lucky again this time. Got 4 tickets and took my husband (who is now my ex) and two of our friends. The parking lot was insane (especially trying to get out). The show opened up and once the mosh pit started, I got separated from everyone I was with. No prob. though cause I just went to the beer tent and got myself a couple beers (one for each hand) and found some new PJ fans to hang out with. They were so cool, they just took me in to there group like I was an old friend (thanks guys!). Goes to show you what kind of fans PJ has. The rain was coming down so hard, but no one even cared or complained. That show was rockin!!
    Shine on all you crazy diamonds!!!!
    Angel

Are we getting something out of this......all encompassing trip?

Paramount, NYC '94; Randall's Island, NYC '96; Brendan Byrne, NJ '98;
    EV solo, NYC 1 '08; EV solo, NJPAC '08; Philadelphia, PA 10/30/2009;
    Hartford, CT '10; Newark, NJ '10
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    night two was fucking nuts in the pit
    probably the best show Ive ever seen (250+)
  • jdelinjdelin Posts: 189
    Wow, I am so glad someone posted about this show. Like a lot of others who commented, the Randall's Island 9/29/96 show was my first PJ show (probably a first for a lot of people because of the Ticketmaster crap - it was so hard to see them before this). I remember getting lucky getting tickets - PJ used their own ticketing system where you had to call in, and I think I might have gotten some of the last tickets since I got through after redialing for a half hour. The tickets were awesome with a cool design on them (I still have my stub).

The show itself - out of the 12 shows I've seen, this is still the best one. I remember getting there early with my friends and trying to get as close to the stage as possible. Things were great when they opened with "Sometimes," but then when they went into "Go" I thought I was going to die getting trampled. I am not a big guy, and I had tons of sweaty, big guys all around crushing me. I started getting dizzy, trying to ask someone to pick me up so that I could crowd surf to the front and get out, but there was not even any room to have someone pick me up. My head went down, and I thought I was going to collapse right there and that would be it for me.

Then by some miracle, Eddie stops the show right in the middle of "Animal." I know I wasn't the only one getting trampled, and Ed noticed it and made his comments about it to the crowd. I finally managed to get someone to pick me up and I made my way to the front. When I finally gathered myself after landing in the space between the stage and the crowd, getting ready to walk around to the seats on the side, I looked up and Ed was right there looking down at me. I mouthed "thank you" and he took notice and nodded. That moment right there made me realize why I love PJ so much!

I did make it around to the seats, found some of my friends there, and watched the rest of the show there. And it was amazing. "Black" was so emotional. I remember leaving the show at the end speechless. I was a big PJ fan since 1992, and with this being my first show, it was more than I could have expected.

I was lucky enough to find the bootleg of this show a couple of years ago. The quality is alright, but does anyone have one with great sound quality?

Again, thanks for bringing this up - brings back amazing memories for me!

NY 9/29/96; NJ 9/8/98; NY 9/10/98; NY 8/24/00; Mansfield 7/2/03; Mansfield 7/11/03; Boston 9/28/04 (VFC); Post-Letterman, NY 5/4/06; Boston 5/24/06; Boston 5/25/06; Mansfield 6/28/08; Mansfield 6/30/08; Boston 5/17/10; Dublin 6/22/10; Alpine Valley 9/3/11; Alpine Valley 9/4/11; Worcester 10/15/13; Worcester 10/16/13; Brooklyn 10/18/13; Philadelphia 4/29/16; Boston 8/5/16; Boston 8/7/16, Seattle 8/8/18, Seattle 8/10/18, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18

Mike Watt featuring EV, NY 4/27/95; Three Fish w/JA, NY 7/11/96; Three Fish w/JA, NY 6/11/99; EV Solo, Boston 8/1/08, Tres Mts. w/JA & MM, Boston 3/27/11; EV Solo, Boston 6/16/11
  • milwmattmilwmatt Posts: 6
    My God I will never forget that weekend.

I had seen Pearl Jam MANY times and even met the guys once but it was my first trip out of state on my own (well with a friend). First time on a plane which was kinda sad. I was a sophomore in college and me and my friend Ken followed PJ around on the tour. We used our 10C tix for these two shows. My mom booked a hotel and transportation. We figured it would be a dump but it turned out to be real nice inside. We entered through a back way and went to the desk - "sorry we already gave your room away" was the first thing we heard. We were crapping our pants just as the desk guy said - we will put you in a suite instead. We get in our room and look out the window figuring it would be just any old street and it was times square!!! We were excited of course and walked around the whole area for hours. We left very early for the show. Took a bus to Central Park and then got on the subway right by the Apollo. Many cops at all of those sub stations just because of the concerts. They gave us advice and we were on our way. I was excited to see the place that Pele used to play and other major events took place. Obviously it doesnt exist anymore so that was cool. We made it to the stage early. I think I remember them handing out flowers at the gate?? The set was minimal was most of the shows were during that era. Just the chandelier with the spikes and no backdrop from the 95/96 era and the typical props like Jeff's lamp etc.

Anyhow we bought t-shirts and posters and went to the stage. It was our 3rd or 4th show of the tour (We traveled with our parents for the others). We were big fastbacks fans so we jammed out to them - they did a cover of behind blue eyes. Then Benb Harper who we had seen before but was an added treat. PJ came on - John Popper played an AWESOME harp solo during evenflow. Dennis Rodman and Mariah Carey were also supposedly there. I think I caught a glimpse of Rodman but am not 100%. I used to work in the Bucks locker room and had met him before and I was pretty sure it was him. VERY hot and steamy. We saw a girl pass out and never hit the ground because people were packed so tight close to the stage she had nowhere to fall. The rain came and was like a mist colling everyone off and it was beautiful - cooled us down but messed up my poster some. I got it laminated which did get the wrinkles out. Crowd surfed all the way from the back to the stage during "Leaving Here" and Ed winked at me as I was walking past. Great night. Second the complaints about leaving - it was VERY difficult. Mounted police pushing you with their horses. We also caught a bus to the Yankee Stadium subway station. Took pics in front of the sign.

The next night we were determined to be front row. We knew from past experience that the second night is always better setlist wise (at least if you like rarities) and they always pull out all the stops. The fastbacks recognized me and my friend singing to their songs and threw a pick to me. Seemed great. It was even warmer than the first night but no rain. I took some pics of ed and stone - might dig em out and scan them if interested. From the pics you can tell I was right there. The crowd control barriers were in the shape of a "t".

Stage
    ||
    ||
    ||
    ===================

The problem was that it was damn hot and WAY too many people were pushing their way to the stage and no one could get out - the only way was to crowd surf and get to the stage and walk out the side. I fully blame that setup for what was to happen to me. (Not PJ's fault - no way to predict the outcome). By the first few songs many people decided they couldn't handle it and panicked clawing over everyone up front. It was VERY hard work just standing there trying not to get kicked. At some point I was pulled down by someone trying to climb out over me and pulled to the ground. I kept my composure and reached up for help and no one helped. A chain reaction caused a pileup and I must have had people 3-5 high on top of me. I relaxed knowing that if I struggled I might make it worse. It felt like forever. Someone's shin was pressed on my neck and it started cutting off my air. I relaxed and accepted that I was probably going to die. Really. I thought about what my mother would think about reading about my death in a paper. I thought about the tramplings at the Who show way back when. I thought - if I am going out - what better place than seeing the band I loved that pulled me out of depression in my high school and freshman year of college. I was actually happy and calm went all over me. Then nothing. I saw fuzz that

I woke up on an ambulance with my shirt cut off of me kicking and flailing not knowing where the hell I was. My arm was numb. They told me where I was and that they had revived me and I was lucky to be alive. I had no idea how I would get home and how my friend would find me. It took a while. Soon after I arrived more and more pj fans were on beds in this large room by me. With each new fan I found more and more of the setlist out and was so angry that I was missing the greatest PJ show ever. Luckily I went to enough shows to see songs like Rats after that but at the time I was so disappointed. Eventually my friend found me after trying two other hospitals that the security staff said people were being sent to. He told me that the band had stopped playing and after they cleared all of the people he saw people in the crowd freaking out and pointing. Someone picked me up and passed my over the front barrier and he said I was completely limp and lifeless and was blue in the face. He thought I was a goner. I remember that one of the doctors wanted to do an anal test to check for internal bleeding and we had a big fight over that and luckily an x-ray was enough. The doctor gave us subway money to get to our hotel and catch our flight in the morning on a promise that I would see my doctor immediately because he felt bad that we might not get home and had no real way of taking care of ourselves not having arrangements to stay another night. I had a LOT of bruises form being trampled and some minor nerve damage in my arm but that is fine now.

I listened to the tape of the show once but it still freaks me out. I could hear the tension in Ed's voice at the point where I believe he saw me being carried out and haven't been able to listen to it again. I almost died at that show but it woke me up and made me appreciate life a hell of a lot more. Every September I celebrate the fact that I am still Alive and listen to Pearl Jam. Everytime I have seen PJ after is one more day that wasn't promised and I love it. I usually have to hold back a little tear for the first song. I will be at the Milwaukee EV show and can't wait. So for me, Randall's Island was a life changing experience in so many ways.
  • Not the best quality in the world, but it's something...

Randall's Island, NY - September 28th, 1996

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NCGSNYQQ

Enjoy!
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Rjonesrm20Rjonesrm20 Posts: 380
    milwmatt.....that is one helluva story man....glad you are here to see more PJ shows and live life!!!
    1998: Indy 2000: Indy, Cincy 2003: Lexington (m.e.o.), Cincy (cancelled),Indy 2004: Toledo 2005: Atlantic City 2 2006: Cleveland, Cincy 2008: Los Angeles1 (EV solo)-front row center!West Palm Beach-2nd row!, Tampa, Chicago 1&2-(EV solo) 2009: Nashville 1&2(EV solo) Memphis(EV solo) Chicago 1&2
  • milwmattmilwmatt Posts: 6
    Me too rjones. I was meant to be here. 4 year old daughter and 1 year old son and I am a teacher now. That whole event gave me direction. I also was able to meet my birth mother and do some amazing things so I am very thankful to the medical staff and to the band for realizing there was a problem.

It sure is a hell of a story - wouldn't want to live it again but I am glad I experienced it too. I checked my pockets on the subway to the hotel to get our stuff and catch our flight and the fastbacks pick was still there too!

I have seen about 30 PJ shows since 96 and have had the chance to also see Brad and Three Fish a few times too. Talked to Jeff about what happened after a Three Fish show and the problem that particular barrier caused. I still think those T type barriers should be gone or they should have a max number for people allowed into that area. It was the whole reason for the trampling because the people were packed so tightly the only way out was to crowdsurf.
  • sucks because i dont have specific memories of each show. my memory jumbles both together.
  • nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    Not the best quality in the world, but it's something...

Randall's Island, NY - September 28th, 1996

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NCGSNYQQ

Enjoy!

Thanks. It's not great, but it's better than what I had so it's a step in the right direction.

Given the rain and 1996 recording gear, I'm not sure there can be a great boot of that show. It'll just have to live on in my memory, which isn't such a bad thing.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • jdelinjdelin Posts: 189
    milwmatt wrote:
    Me too rjones. I was meant to be here. 4 year old daughter and 1 year old son and I am a teacher now. That whole event gave me direction. I also was able to meet my birth mother and do some amazing things so I am very thankful to the medical staff and to the band for realizing there was a problem.

It sure is a hell of a story - wouldn't want to live it again but I am glad I experienced it too. I checked my pockets on the subway to the hotel to get our stuff and catch our flight and the fastbacks pick was still there too!

I have seen about 30 PJ shows since 96 and have had the chance to also see Brad and Three Fish a few times too. Talked to Jeff about what happened after a Three Fish show and the problem that particular barrier caused. I still think those T type barriers should be gone or they should have a max number for people allowed into that area. It was the whole reason for the trampling because the people were packed so tightly the only way out was to crowdsurf.

Yeah that is some story. And being at that same show, I saw others also getting trampled, and I was lucky enough to not completely pass out before they did Animal. I was getting dizzy and I thought I was going to black out, but I hung in there. It really does make you appreciate life even more.

After that and after Roskilde, they seem to be more careful with that stuff. And I don't mind seeing them in a seated arena, where I can rock out standing in my own place. :)

NY 9/29/96; NJ 9/8/98; NY 9/10/98; NY 8/24/00; Mansfield 7/2/03; Mansfield 7/11/03; Boston 9/28/04 (VFC); Post-Letterman, NY 5/4/06; Boston 5/24/06; Boston 5/25/06; Mansfield 6/28/08; Mansfield 6/30/08; Boston 5/17/10; Dublin 6/22/10; Alpine Valley 9/3/11; Alpine Valley 9/4/11; Worcester 10/15/13; Worcester 10/16/13; Brooklyn 10/18/13; Philadelphia 4/29/16; Boston 8/5/16; Boston 8/7/16, Seattle 8/8/18, Seattle 8/10/18, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18

Mike Watt featuring EV, NY 4/27/95; Three Fish w/JA, NY 7/11/96; Three Fish w/JA, NY 6/11/99; EV Solo, Boston 8/1/08, Tres Mts. w/JA & MM, Boston 3/27/11; EV Solo, Boston 6/16/11
  • brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    Rjonesrm20 wrote:
    milwmatt.....that is one helluva story man

i second that. funny, moving, etc. I think I may have gotten goosebumps at one point. probably more to do with thinking of Pearl jam and the affect they have on us fans, but the fact that you almost died...
    helluva story.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    ok folks let's get one thing straight ,it rained the 1st night and ed being ed says "the pussys in tampa would of left 1/2 hr ago " as the rain just kept getting worse ,2nd night is when he actually made the whole field move back like 5steps to release some of the pressure up front ......the 1st night me and my brother in law got caught in a bunch of "push&shoves" thru out that evening .....and the 10c tickets have our names on them very cool ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Any photos of Ed in the duct tape?