*** Wrigley 2 Chicago, IL Fanviews Here 8/22/16 ***

Comments

• amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766

A historic show with amazing camaraderie!

Only 12 people in the stadium knew who originally performed Time Has Come and half of them were in the band (Only half kidding) but I'd bet many die hard PJ fans didn't recognize the Chambers Brothers song. I had to look it up, but my traveling companion was able to share some backstory of the band on the trip home.

I recognized it in a broad sense definitely recognized the intro, didn't know who did it original, I would guessed blackfoot, like a remake in the 70's or early 80's, recognized the tune from like the beginning or in a soundtrack of so many movies. I would love to know the back story of how that got in there. So privileged to hear a cover for the first time ever, I love their choices seems like they like to play tribute and also to challenge themselves.

Since its fan views, the weather was perfect, the show was phenomenal, other incidences that occurred are inconsequental.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • A historic show with amazing camaraderie!

Only 12 people in the stadium knew who originally performed Time Has Come and half of them were in the band (Only half kidding) but I'd bet many die hard PJ fans didn't recognize the Chambers Brothers song. I had to look it up, but my traveling companion was able to share some backstory of the band on the trip home.

I recognized the song from Remember the Titans :blush: . Didn't know who sang it though.
    I'm through with screaming
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    amethgr8 said:

I recognized it in a broad sense definitely recognized the intro, didn't know who did it original, I would guessed blackfoot, like a remake in the 70's or early 80's, recognized the tune from like the beginning or in a soundtrack of so many movies. I would love to know the back story of how that got in there. So privileged to hear a cover for the first time ever, I love their choices seems like they like to play tribute and also to challenge themselves.

Since its fan views, the weather was perfect, the show was phenomenal, other incidences that occurred are inconsequental.
    I recognized the song but had no idea it was the Chambers Brothers. I told my wife it was probably the Zombies or someone like that. I'm usually not easily stumped on classic rock, but that was a pretty deep one.
  • odiedragonodiedragon Arena, WI Posts: 206
    mrussel1 said:

Since the video of Eddie stopping Lukin has gone somewhat mainstream....many people who weren't at the show are saying that the whole incident looks "staged" and "fake"? I was down in the GA, it looked pretty darn real to me.

Staged? Who the hell is saying that??
    I wasn't right where it happened, but I was on rail Mike's side. Seemed real to me. Dude looked like he was trying to hard for punk cred, but other than that....
    "So now, I drink wine." - Milwaukee, WI 10/20/14
    "How fortunate were we that we were born in Chicago..." - Rosemont, IL 5/14/15
    "The irony is that maybe someday they'll find exactly that... maybe that's a good thing." - Rosemont, IL 5/15/15
    "[Unthought Known] wasn't the *worst* thing I'd ever done..." Central Park, NYC 9/26/15
    "Cómo se dice 'really high'?" - Mexico City, DF 11/28/15
  • curlycurly Posts: 703
    sorry posting so late.... what it took to make it to both shows and now back to work/grind...but worth every minute...
    also on that note...so many times I've been to a city where they play 2 shows and I normally can only make one... and have always regretted it...not any more... crazy to go through all that just to only attend one?... so this was my 3rd time hitting both shows and will most def always hit em' both from here on out...
    as for this 2nd show... simply amazing... Gems for me even though its an oldie... still was truly hoping to hear it... Footsteps... along with Throw Arms around me... off he goes, black red yellow and lets not forget Immortality... damn i'm so glad I got that one again... so fn' cool they plugged that one in...
    Also,.. many times I like the encore's better than the first set... not the case here...
    1st set was by far my favorite in awhile... enjoyed the encores... just really dug the song selection for the 1st set...
    peace, Curly...

• iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    Fantastic show, great energy, amazing setlist. THANK YOU Pearl Jam for playing Oceans and Footsteps...pretty sure Oceans has never been played in Chicago - I got two White Whale songs in one night! Had a blast.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Dude, my wife and I came all the way from Bahrain for this show - only the 2nd night - and I think my exact words the morning after were "God damn holy motherfuckin shitballs of fire that was awesome"!

Have calmed down a little since then but still get shivers when I think about it. 3 hours of heaven.

On top of the highlight-packed set list and incredible playing of all of the band, the atmosphere and hospitality in Chicago was fantastic, my personal level of drunkenness for the show was pitcher perfect and to top everything off, we got to catch up with a buddy we met at the Santiago show for the pre-game.

AND in a true moment of pure "once in a lifetime meant to be-ness" that I have come to associate with this band, thanks to a kind soul that we bumped into in the hotel lobby that had to give up her tickets for an unknown reason who asked that we take them and simply "find some worthy people to give them to and ensure that they pay it forward" ... well, after asking around with no luck, we asked if our sister and brother in law in London Ontario could possibly make it down and sure enough, babysitter found, work booked off, 6 hour drive later on the morning of the show they were there and we got to enjoy the show with them too.

Unforgettable occasion, thank you PJ my one and only, thank you 10 Club for the tickets... Thank you fellow fans that share this love.

Now, is that boot ready yet?!
  • bmaguirebmaguire Detroit Posts: 119
    What a SHOW night II set list was awesome GOOD seeing you BUCK
    2018 Chicago, IL
    2018 Seattle, WA
    2016 Fort Lauderdale, FL
    2016 Miami, FL
    2016 Tampa, FL
    2016 Toronto, Canada II
    2016 Chicago, IL I
    2016 Chicago, IL II
    2014 Detroit, MI
    2006 Cleveland, OH
    2004 Toldeo, OH
    2003 Auburn Hills, MI
    1998 Lansing, MI
    1998 Auburn Hills, MI
    1992 Clarkston, MI
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    edited August 2016
    mrussel1 said:

nycrats said:

Sea said:

04. Better Man
    (Ed sings the words, “Summer whoa oh oh, Summertime oh”)

I think he was singing "Summertime Rolls"... the Jane's Addiction song.

thanks for posting. i didnt go but was going to ask if this is what it was when i read the review.
    mrussel1 said:

Since the video of Eddie stopping Lukin has gone somewhat mainstream....many people who weren't at the show are saying that the whole incident looks "staged" and "fake"? I was down in the GA, it looked pretty darn real to me.

Staged? Who the hell is saying that??
    One of my friends who was seeing PJ for the first time this past weekend actually asked me the same question. I looked at her like "Why would someone "stage" something like that?"
    I've seen it happen several times, most recently in Hampton. It also happened in LA and Charlottesville in 2013. Those incidents were right in front of me. No staging.

I was in the pit again on Monday for this one but too far away to see the incident. Not for a second did I question its validity.
    he stopped the show in New Orleans 95... picked up on 2nd chorus of Tremor Christ perfectly. these guys have been doing this for a looooong time.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• CameronsStixCameronsStix Des Moines Posts: 4
    amethgr8 said:

I would love to know the back story of how that got in there.

Google Ramones The Time Has Come and enjoy! Good Music, also supported by an influential band. I'm guessing that's the connection.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    I just want to thank fellow 10c member rpech'e for hooking me up with reserved tickets. Made the whole trip possible from NY for my wife and I. Awesome night!!!
    what an amazing 2 nights, shows and setlists... and i haven't read all the reviews just yet but i'm clearing noting it now!!!! Pearl jam madness is back and it's just like the mid 90's all over again... or should we simply call it "round 2".. you got all these high school and 20 somethings just discovering pearl jam,.. you got your 40's and 50's crowd finally giving up on VanHalen and such...Seriously,.. you have no idea how many times I heard or people I met from 18-55 years old whom just discovered pj in the last few years...PS.. get to the shows while you can fellas as i'm serious,.. its 1995 all over again and you can tell the band is as excited as ever!!!
  • driowadriowa Wisconsin Posts: 115

Ha! I knew it right away (my parents raised me right!)

I freaked out...made a special night that much more special!
  • animusanimus Twin Cities area Posts: 530
    After seeing the band at MSG in the spring I thought it might be an easy going show both nights but they brought it. Can't ask for much more
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    stickman7 said:

Dude, my wife and I came all the way from Bahrain for this show - only the 2nd night - and I think my exact words the morning after were "God damn holy motherfuckin shitballs of fire that was awesome"!

Have calmed down a little since then but still get shivers when I think about it. 3 hours of heaven.

On top of the highlight-packed set list and incredible playing of all of the band, the atmosphere and hospitality in Chicago was fantastic, my personal level of drunkenness for the show was pitcher perfect and to top everything off, we got to catch up with a buddy we met at the Santiago show for the pre-game.

AND in a true moment of pure "once in a lifetime meant to be-ness" that I have come to associate with this band, thanks to a kind soul that we bumped into in the hotel lobby that had to give up her tickets for an unknown reason who asked that we take them and simply "find some worthy people to give them to and ensure that they pay it forward" ... well, after asking around with no luck, we asked if our sister and brother in law in London Ontario could possibly make it down and sure enough, babysitter found, work booked off, 6 hour drive later on the morning of the show they were there and we got to enjoy the show with them too.

Unforgettable occasion, thank you PJ my one and only, thank you 10 Club for the tickets... Thank you fellow fans that share this love.

Now, is that boot ready yet?!

:lol: Awesome that you had such a great time!
  • robertstackarmyrobertstackarmy So. WI Posts: 681
    Show was great, however, I do wish they would play more (see: any) binaural tracks, they have kinda ignored that along with Riot Act as the years have gone on.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600

Show was great, however, I do wish they would play more (see: any) binaural tracks, they have kinda ignored that along with Riot Act as the years have gone on.

Yield and No Code got little love over the weekend either. Not that it was zero, just wished for some more.

Sonic Reducer was a big surprise. That was totally not on my radar and it was AWESOME.
  • iamrockmusiciamrockmusic Orlando, FL Posts: 443
    My favorite show I've been to. The main set was absolutely unfuckwithable.
    Mesa 11/7/93 - Charlotte 10/4/96 - DC 6/14/98 - Raleigh 8/31/98 - Knoxville 9/6/98 - Columbia MD 9/18/98 - DC 9/19/98 - Columbia MD 9/4/00 - Phoenix 10/21/00 - Raleigh 4/15/03 - Phoenix 6/7/03 - Philadelphia 5/27&28/06 - DC 5/30/06 - Las Vegas 7/6/06 - San Diego 7/7/06 - LA 7/9&10/06 - Gorge 7/22&23/06 - Chicago 8/5/07 - PJ20 9/3&4/11 - Jacksonville 11/24/12 (EV) - Orlando 11/27/12 (EV) - Brooklyn 10/18&19/13 - Charlotte 10/30/13 - Memphis 10/14/14 - Ft Lauderdale 4/8/16 - Miami 4/9/16 - Jacksonville 4/13/16 - Hampton 4/18/16 - Chicago 8/20&22/16
  • SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    did anyone else think immortality was amazing?
    SJD3232 said:

SJD.... I did note it in one of my earlier posts.... as I realize this one gets played less and less these days... it was awe!!

• My favorite show I've been to. The main set was absolutely unfuckwithable.

YES!! So well said. It just doesn't get Eddie Vedder than that first set. Incredible opening with the first 3 songs all being new for me. Both the lady friend and I were misty during Off He Goes, as it's become a tribute to a dearly departed friend of mine. Immediately lifted by that run of Better Man all the way through Given to Fly, which was just incredible. Animal in particular. Section 124, 1st base side, rows 10-12 felt like the pit during that stretch. Enjoyed meeting and hand-slapping the other 10clubbers nearby.
    SJD3232 said:

A true bucketlister for me. So thankful to finally get this song. And what a performance!

I've heard some people comment that the encore sets lost steam. Really didn't see that from where we were. Quite a few people in our section and those nearby made their way down to the empty "obstructed view" seats right behind home plate, but they were getting after it. I could see where the casual fan wouldn't appreciate the Throw Your Arms and Man of the Hour start, but we were floored! Even the quieter fans in our immediate area were loud during Last Kiss, which was never one I needed to hear live, but really enjoyed the sing-along. And everybody went nuts for Comatose, Sonic Reducer, and especially Blood. Second and third encores felt like real bonuses. Made for a fitting close to an incredible weekend.

Thank you, PJ! So thankful to have been a part of this weekend. This band has never been better, and are so generous with their effort to make every performance a special one. Also, I'm batting 1.000 at Wrigley so far... so thank you very much, 10C!
  • AN46622AN46622 Posts: 14
    iamica said:

Fantastic show, great energy, amazing setlist. THANK YOU Pearl Jam for playing Oceans and Footsteps...pretty sure Oceans has never been played in Chicago - I got two White Whale songs in one night! Had a blast.

Apparently Oceans was played in Chicago at the New Regal Theater in 1994, but that's it before now. This was probably a white whale for many people in the Chicago area.

Really fantastic show from start to finish. Right up there near the top of my list out of 28 shows overall.
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Fantastic show. BRY, Of the Earth, I've got a feeling... the whole show was amazing. Thanks to rustneversleeps and mottos for the great seat. Great few days in Chicago!
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • bmaguirebmaguire Detroit Posts: 119
    IMMORTALITY HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY FAVORITE
    2018 Chicago, IL
    2018 Seattle, WA
    2016 Fort Lauderdale, FL
    2016 Miami, FL
    2016 Tampa, FL
    2016 Toronto, Canada II
    2016 Chicago, IL I
    2016 Chicago, IL II
    2014 Detroit, MI
    2006 Cleveland, OH
    2004 Toldeo, OH
    2003 Auburn Hills, MI
    1998 Lansing, MI
    1998 Auburn Hills, MI
    1992 Clarkston, MI
  • That first set was like Thor's balls with metal sharp spikes!
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740

That first set was like Thor's balls with metal sharp spikes!

It was something fucking else.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    bmaguire said:

What a SHOW night II set list was awesome GOOD seeing you BUCK

@bmaguire good to see you as well - keep on rocking!!!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    unfuckwithable
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Dobber1Dobber1 Wisconsin, USA Posts: 11
    reliving it all over again right now......will get me through until the official release
    Milwaukee 7-9-1995 East Troy 6-27-98 East Troy 10-8-2000 East Troy 9-4-2011 Milwaukee 10-20-2014 Chicago 8-20-16 Chicago 8-22-16
  • 25 years of unconditionately love! After 20 years of shows in Europe, there was my first two shows in US and...no words in particularly for night 2 that was incredible, amazing. The atmosphere in GA was great and relaxed, wrigley is a temple, one of the best main set ever seen. Then the first encore...and the song that me and my wife was waiting for a long time: man of the hour, our 'wedding song' (that I sang for my wife during our wedding party). I will never forget the eyes and the surprise face of my wife on the first notes..thank you guys for this gift and for all the emotions you gave me in 25 years. Your music is my energy of life.