Thank yous, the day after a LBC kinda day...

Comments

• stina1118stina1118 Illinois Posts: 147
    @Ray J. T. Thank you. That was beautiful. We can't wait to meet you!!!!
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,857
    See you guys in a week!
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    stina, not sure if it's just you or your path or both, but how you articulate this life, through your own eyes and those of your son...well, it makes me smile - and thankful for bearing witness to such beauty, on so many fronts.
  • IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    stina1118 said:

Last night, I spoke with the ticket donor. He truly is an amazing guy. Genuine, kind and a good personality. I hope to have a beer or two with him one day, I enjoyed chit chatting and learning more about him.

When he explained the story behind the donation, he wanted me to understand that the donation wasn’t out of sympathy or because of his condition… It was for Joshua and his passion for music.

This was actually one of the most touching things about this whole thing, those words.

When Joshua was young, I had to go through a process that many special needs parents go through. You have to grieve the loss of many things that you expect your child to experience.

Walking was one of them. He may do it one day and I believe in him. But, for a long time, I would obsess about it. Will he? Won’t he? Things like that.

Once I let go of the norm, I never saw the downside again. My son is beautiful and has an appreciation for life that most of us will never have. He doesn’t know fear, sadness (except when PJ ends). You know that “happy place” in your head. That’s where Joshua lives most of the time. In that sense, he’s luckier than all of us, especially in times like these.

When I posted last year about Joshua, I just wanted to know that we had support around us when we would take him to a show. We don’t exactly blend in and I was just hoping for a few smiling faces and maybe a couple high fives.

I wanted him. Us. To feel accepted. You guys surely accepted us and took it above and beyond. All of us here kind of suck at getting attention and it gets so (lovingly) overwhelming accepting gifts. It honestly pushes out of our comfort zone, which is a really good thing.

Enjoy your week everyone! Good luck getting anything done with PJ brain all week. :)

Hearts & thoughts,
    Christina

Christina, thank you.

Thank you for writing, thank you for being a mom, and Josh a dad, who've brought Joshua into this community. He is special, in the truest sense of the word and so many see this. He's your boy and sharing him with this community has brought so much joy to so many.

It was courageous to bring him here, to make yourselves so vulnerable as parents not knowing what would happen. What's happened is you've all brought so much love, real love to this forum.

And here we all know how much music means. To Joshie it's his everything, Pearl Jam is his everything in ways we'll never know. Philly gave him so much, so much people got in touch with GTL to make it happen again. He touched so many people, you and Josh did as well simply by being there with him, loving him.

And as Ray said, I also hope Mike spots him and gives him a high five. In fact I've a dream Mike just comes and plays to him for a bit. Well, you've got to dream big right?

Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    Bump to the top for Joshua xo
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Soon! :smile:
    ELITIST FUK
  • chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    Wow. Great thread. So happy for Josh. Let's get LBC on Monday!
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • stina1118stina1118 Illinois Posts: 147
    @hedonist Thank you. That really means a lot to me. It's something I don't talk about frequently. Honestly, I feel very comfortable talking about it here with you all. I feel "protected".

I've probably opened up to you all here more than we do to some of our family and friends. It's why this is just so amazing to us. We have "friends" for years that know less about our life with Joshua than you guys do.

Tom and I talk a lot and he knows a lot about what we go through. He's been a good friend to us and he knows how guarded we are and he understands why.

We don't have much family to count on and, we don't receive any assistance or respite for Joshua's care. So Josh (Dad) and I just don't know how to count on people. We have very few in our life.

I have several back/nerve issues that have compiled from the wear and tear of moving Joshua. In addition to Fibromyalgia and autoimmune conditions. I don't look sick or in pain, but I am everyday. Most people in our life don't understand how difficult it is for me to raise two children when some days I can barely walk up stairs.

We're all fighters and we struggle a lot in this house. Neither one of us likes to complain or talk about it, we feel weak or needy. We try to do whatever we can to make it through each day.

So when I say how much this means to us. I truly mean it. Almost every time I come here, I get watery eyes. Each and every one of you has impacted us and made us feel supported and loved. It's something that our family needed.

If I unloaded a little, that wasn't my intention. Haha Thanks for listening to my rant. Getting ready to move has been very frustrating and another reminder how much people can suck. Hahahaha

Oh... One more thing...

And not to exclude my little 4 year old Maddy, she even gets excited for her brother. Even at her age she gets it. However, she wants to go to a concert and see Fall Out Boy.

I told her no concerts until she is at least 8... That gives me 4 years to set her straight!!
  • maverickmaverick Posts: 1,181
    Excellent work Tom. I hope Joshua gets to meet the band in Chicago. That would so cool for him.
    stina1118 said:

@hedonist Thank you. That really means a lot to me. It's something I don't talk about frequently. Honestly, I feel very comfortable talking about it here with you all. I feel "protected".

I've probably opened up to you all here more than we do to some of our family and friends. It's why this is just so amazing to us. We have "friends" for years that know less about our life with Joshua than you guys do.

Tom and I talk a lot and he knows a lot about what we go through. He's been a good friend to us and he knows how guarded we are and he understands why.

We don't have much family to count on and, we don't receive any assistance or respite for Joshua's care. So Josh (Dad) and I just don't know how to count on people. We have very few in our life.

I have several back/nerve issues that have compiled from the wear and tear of moving Joshua. In addition to Fibromyalgia and autoimmune conditions. I don't look sick or in pain, but I am everyday. Most people in our life don't understand how difficult it is for me to raise two children when some days I can barely walk up stairs.

We're all fighters and we struggle a lot in this house. Neither one of us likes to complain or talk about it, we feel weak or needy. We try to do whatever we can to make it through each day.

So when I say how much this means to us. I truly mean it. Almost every time I come here, I get watery eyes. Each and every one of you has impacted us and made us feel supported and loved. It's something that our family needed.

If I unloaded a little, that wasn't my intention. Haha Thanks for listening to my rant. Getting ready to move has been very frustrating and another reminder how much people can suck. Hahahaha

Oh... One more thing...

And not to exclude my little 4 year old Maddy, she even gets excited for her brother. Even at her age she gets it. However, she wants to go to a concert and see Fall Out Boy.

I told her no concerts until she is at least 8... That gives me 4 years to set her straight!!

I am so pleased to see this post. I know how you don't want to bring attention to you so as not to take away from Joshua or to seem like your asking for attention. You're doing neither, you're speaking your truth which is you have tremendous physical issues of your own to contend with daily.

I come across so many parents of children with needs that GTL work with that need support but never speak up because their focus is on the child. And we live in a society which often doesn't acknowledge hidden/invisible illnesses. I use the term vulnerable and excluded because this way GTL can be very inclusive and help those with the hidden/invisible - depression, PTSD, chronic pain, mental health issues. If we look 'normal' society can sometimes be a lonely place. I've suffered and still get bouts of severe depression and I'm grateful to the people in my life I can talk about it with but it's not everyone.

So I'm very proud of your courage in speaking up for you, Christina.
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

edited August 2016
    maverick said:

Excellent work Tom. I hope Joshua gets to meet the band in Chicago. That would so cool for him.

Yes! That would be amazing!

If Corey Taylor from Slipknot said 'yes' to Given To Live and met with Declan... maybe PJ would do the same and meet with Joshua??? It can't hurt to ask...
    Post edited by moretonbayfig on
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    stina1118 said:

Oh... One more thing...

I hope to see you and your family at Wrigley. I and my friends would love to give Joshua a "high five".
    thanks for sharing and for bringing some positive vibes to the message boards!!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

maverick said:

If Corey Taylor from Slipknot said 'yes' to Given To Live and met with Declan... maybe PJ would do the same and meet with Joshua??? It can't hurt to ask...
    Actually Corey also took Declan out on stage with him ;)

We did ask for Philly but he got a shout out that he still raves about and on the big screen with Ed :)
    Given To Live -

edited August 2016
    IamTom said:

maverick said:

We did ask for Philly but he got a shout out that he still raves about and on the big screen with Ed :)
    Philly was awesome!

Bumping this post for Joshua and his family. May they have a wonderful hometown show at Wrigley 2 xoxoxoxo

If I'm not mistaken, Dave Grohl also did a meet and greet with Kayleigh for Given to Live did he not Tom? ;)

Post edited by moretonbayfig on

IamTom said:

maverick said:

Philly was awesome!

Bumping this post for Joshua and his family. May they have a wonderful hometown show at Wrigley 2 xoxoxoxo

If I'm not mistaken, Dave Grohl also did a meet and greet with Kayleigh for Given to Live did he not Tom? ;)

Semi mistaken, it was all the Foo Fighters :)
    Given To Live -

• -Buru--Buru- Santa Barbara, CA Posts: 1,292
    These are great news. I hope Love Boat Captain is played.
    I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
    If I knew where it was I would take you there.

• dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 776
    What an amazing family! I feel privileged that Joshie's story has been shared here. What awesome work Tom and friends do with Given to Live. Best wishes for a super show Monday that has both Love Boat Captain and Yellow Ledbetter (with Voodoo Chile and/or Star Spangled Banner close)...maybe not 13 hours of YLB
    dcp3y said:

What an amazing family! I feel privileged that Joshie's story has been shared here. What awesome work Tom and friends do with Given to Live. Best wishes for a super show Monday that has both Love Boat Captain and Yellow Ledbetter (with Voodoo Chile and/or Star Spangled Banner close)...maybe not 13 hours of YLB

Thank you :) We try and make a difference with music the catalyst.

Just 1 YL!
    Given To Live -

IamTom said:

dcp3y said:

Thank you :) We try and make a difference with music the catalyst.

Just 1 YL!
    With no LBC last there's a chance :)
    Given To Live -

Thank you to everyone who's helped make this happen, donated $, tix, merch, $ for merch. sent good wishes, commented here.

It all means so much to GTL and far, far more importantly to Joshua and Christina and Josh - so much in so many ways.

Here's hoping for LBC tonight!
    Given To Live -

• SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    Have a good show Joshua, Christina, Josh and Tom! :heart:
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    Have a great time tonight, everyone!
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040
    Enjoy this special moment...what an amazing story and journey we are all on with this "all encompassing trip"
    So forever grateful Josh, his family and Tom have crossed my path
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    MP59559 said:

Have a great time tonight, everyone!

www.cluthelee.com
  • dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 776
    I've Got A Feeling that tonight will be very special for one cool family. Enjoy the show Joshua, our lil' Love Boat Captain! Cheers to Josh, Christina, and Tom!!
    Here is to Joshua having the time of his life tonight. Hope to see him up on the big screen tonight getting a big high five from Mike! Enjoy the show guys.
    Ray J. T. said:

Here is to Joshua having the time of his life tonight. Hope to see him up on the big screen tonight getting a big high five from Mike! Enjoy the show guys.

You too, Ray :)
    Given To Live -

Given To Live -

Crazy weekend, unfortunately we didn't get to meet Joshua, as it was an extremely busy and extremely crowded weekend. I hope you guys had an amazing time and enjoyed the shows. (We most certainly did) although they didn't play LBC, we all hope that Joshua was having the time of his life. I was very glad to see that they did perform YLB which has been Joshua's favorite as of recent. I hope to see you guys at the next show, where we can hopefully get to see the Love Boat Captain set sail again. Hope everybody had an amazing time. Thank you Tom for everything you do, as I know you have made this families dreams a reality. Hope to see everybody sooner than later.