Options

TO ALL THE NITWITS THAT POSTED NEGATIVE REVIEWS ON SHOW #1 AT FENWAY PARK

I was horrified to read all the negative crap about Friday night's show at Fenway Park. Not sure why folks get caught up in all the bullshit. Who gives a rat's ass if the people in front of you sat through the show instead of jumping around like lunatics. Who cares if the people near you were drinking or smoking or going too crazy or not crazy enough. It seems to me that alot of Pearl Jam fans aren't fans at all; they seem to think that they know what's better for the band than the band does. Pearl Jam snobs...which is ridiculous. I'm almost 68 years old and this was just my 4th Pearl Jam concert. I saw them in Montreal, Worcester, Quebec City and Fenway Park. I also had the privilege of seeing Eddie's solo show in Providence, RI and in Phoenix, AZ. Some people didn't like it when they slowed it down, others didn't like all the covers, some complained about the sound. Didn't anybody notice that the band was thrilled to be playing at Fenway Park, that Eddie shared some fine memories of starting out in Boston, the beautiful, star-filled night or, the kinetic energy of the crowd? Screw the Pearl Jam purists. Somebody actually complained that he had tickets in A1 in the third row and that the people in front of him were too subdued and they should somehow factor energy level into the lottery process! WTF? I was happy to just be there and see the band. They never just call it in...they put on a show that one won't soon forget. It doesn't matter what the set list is or whether they stuck to curfew...just sit down and enjoy the show. They've got 25 years more experience than most of the folks doing the complaining so leave the showmanship to them and be happy they don't penalize you for being dicks.

Comments

• Options
    superj72superj72 Posts: 129
    I'll second that emotion. Except I will add that if you stopped loving the shows just for the shows themselves, you stopped being a fan a long time ago. You're a critic, with a pessimistic slant and your elusive "perfect" experience will always mean every show will be somehow lacking in your opinion.
    I've seen them about 40 times. Some shows are truly epic and the others are still amazing. Yes the crowds will always be different, but the band never mails it in and I love every single show for itself.
    This is the greatest live band ever. Sit back (or stand up) and just enjoy the experience for what it is. You might even enjoy it.

Now - BRING ON WRIGLEY!
  • Options
    Magoo2Magoo2 Posts: 94
    I was at night 1 and night 2. Both shows were excellent - totally different moods each night. I consider this a bonus! What other band can you go see and experience such different atmospheres all on the same tour. It's what makes Pearl Jam great! I stopped being bothered by people's unhealthy reviews and comparison's of shows. Those people are downers. I found reading such posts were really having a negative effect on my mood. I hope that one day the nitwits can appreciate what most of us do! How lucky we are to have such a great band to go see! Pearl Jam gives it their all for their fans! Why are some fans so hard on them. Give them a break and us a break!
    No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead...
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 492
    I actually enjoyed Fenway 1 much more than Fenway 2 for some reason. Fenway 2 was an epic show by all standards but I think I just liked the Fenway 1 set more and seemed like the band had more energy. Eddie running around with that backwards hat on felt like it was 1992. I actually really liked all the slow songs too because they sounded surprisingly great for a stadium and the band played them with precision.
  • Options
    kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 440
    It doesn't really affect my enjoyment of a show whether other people thought it was good or bad. I've seen 37 of them now after the two Fenways. They're all different memories for me, not necessarily because of setlists or "white whale" songs but because of experiences, friends, memories etc. for a variety of different reasons. I will always have this memory of watching RVM at State College in '03 and having this feeling of utter peacefulness. Whether anyone else thought it was a good or bad version of that song doesn't change that it was meaningful for me.

TL, DR: Who cares, if you had a good time that's all that matters.
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • Options
    hoshismamahoshismama Maine Posts: 7
    I'm glad other folks shared my sentiments.This band is one of a kind and it's your own experience and emotions that it invokes that matters. PJ could play a 6 hour show doing handstands and someone would complain
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,459
    Hoshismama, you hit the nail on the head in your first and last post. PJ could come to these peoples houses and play 6 hours in their living room and they would complain about PJ knocking over a lamp. Hahaha!

Now someone is going to post in response that it's every person's right to voice their opinion and that if we were all the same what kind of world would this be, blah blah blah! Well I say it's also our right to complain about their complaining! Hahaha!
  • Options
    hoshismamahoshismama Maine Posts: 7
    I LOVE you TJ. Maybe if we all get together and get them to play a private show at a place TBD (my house) we can show them what a real fan looks like! We could even do a show foe them
  • Options
    BantBant Millinowhere, ME Posts: 506
    People are complaining about Friday's show? Did I slip into an alternate reality or something? I was at both shows and I have no Idea how everyone thinks Sunday was better than Friday. Both nights were amazing, I just liked Friday's setlist more. Only complaint from me, is they didn't break curfew on Friday.
    9/13/1998 - 9/15/1998 - 8/29/2000 - 7/2/2003 - 7/3/2003 - 7/11/2003 - 9/28/2004 - 9/28/2005 - 5/13/2006 - 5/27/2006 - 6/1/2006 - 6/28/2008 - 6/30/2008 - 5/17/2010 - 10/25/2013
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285

I was horrified to read all the negative crap about Friday night's show at Fenway Park. Not sure why folks get caught up in all the bullshit. Who gives a rat's ass if the people in front of you sat through the show instead of jumping around like lunatics. Who cares if the people near you were drinking or smoking or going too crazy or not crazy enough. It seems to me that alot of Pearl Jam fans aren't fans at all; they seem to think that they know what's better for the band than the band does. Pearl Jam snobs...which is ridiculous. I'm almost 68 years old and this was just my 4th Pearl Jam concert. I saw them in Montreal, Worcester, Quebec City and Fenway Park. I also had the privilege of seeing Eddie's solo show in Providence, RI and in Phoenix, AZ. Some people didn't like it when they slowed it down, others didn't like all the covers, some complained about the sound. Didn't anybody notice that the band was thrilled to be playing at Fenway Park, that Eddie shared some fine memories of starting out in Boston, the beautiful, star-filled night or, the kinetic energy of the crowd? Screw the Pearl Jam purists. Somebody actually complained that he had tickets in A1 in the third row and that the people in front of him were too subdued and they should somehow factor energy level into the lottery process! WTF? I was happy to just be there and see the band. They never just call it in...they put on a show that one won't soon forget. It doesn't matter what the set list is or whether they stuck to curfew...just sit down and enjoy the show. They've got 25 years more experience than most of the folks doing the complaining so leave the showmanship to them and be happy they don't penalize you for being dicks.

I somewhat agree with most of your point. But let me tell you buddy, this ship has sailed and burned the dock down never to return again. This forum has turned more and more of a bitch fest over the years. Just the way it is
  • Options
    theebradnesstheebradness Quincy, IL originally from Weymouth, MA Posts: 278
    I have this exact same opinion my man! Grateful Dead fans can be the same way. It's really special that Pearl Jam varies their set, there are hardly any bands that do that. I saw them a couple years ago in STL and was bummed that they didn't play Black. But, I have a new love for the song Given to Fly.
    Lollapalooza 1992 Mansfield MA
    STL 2014
    Wrigley Aug 20th 2016
    St Louis 2022

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,493
    Some people will complain about anything.

If I had to nit-pick, I could but I feel like you have to go WAY out of your way to take something negative away from either of those Fenway Shows.

If you didn't enjoy the Fenway shows, you should stop going to Pearl Jam concerts.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007

Some people will complain about anything.

If I had to nit-pick, I could but I feel like you have to go WAY out of your way to take something negative away from either of those Fenway Shows.

If you didn't enjoy the Fenway shows, you should stop going to Pearl Jam concerts.

amen brother
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,829
    night 1 was amazing i agree.