Options

Nintendo releases NES mini

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited July 2016
    I would consider it... but honestly, 30 games with no expansion possibility is pretty light.... Although if I knew they were going to come out with one or a few more 30 game units, I would probably buy/collect them all.

I am in the process of finishing my basement and my plan is to have a CPU with an emulator hooked up to the main TV with usb NES controllers (and also Sega) with every game playable. I still might go that route
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    MayDay10 said:

I would consider it... but honestly, 30 games with no expansion possibility is pretty light.... Although if I knew they were going to come out with one or a few more 30 game units, I would probably buy/collect them all.

I am in the process of finishing my basement and my plan is to have a CPU with an emulator hooked up to the main TV with usb NES controllers (and also Sega) with every game playable. I still might go that route

dude, nintendo included some of the biggest titles they ever released on the console on this thing. if you were to price out an NES console and all of the games included on ebay (huge market right now for NES games), this would easily be a $400-$500 package deal if you wanted to go that route.

$2 a game with this option, $10 for a second controller. this is a no brainer for anyone that is on the fence.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    nintendo is not going to be able to make enough of these. nice to see them finally wake up. they could have and should have done this a couple years ago.

SNES to follow. you can practically guarantee that.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    There is at least already a Nintendo console that takes old games from both the original NES and Super Nintendo. I had one (my ex took it), and it worked great. We bought all the old games at one of those gamer stores - $1 - $20 a game. none hard to find - and they all worked in the NES/SNES combo console. I'm sure you can still easily find one of those. There are actually a couple of different kinds. I'm not sure if Nintendo itself actually made one, or if other companies just did themselves. Just google Nintendo combo console and see what you can find. If you want more than 30 old games now, this is the way to go about it (though it will be more expensive, since you need to get the games individually).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited July 2016
    rival. said:

nintendo is not going to be able to make enough of these.

Agreed. Looks like I may be one of those "crazies" waiting in line early or hunting one down this year.
    SNES - I will buy that too. It's a sickness I know.

Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

There is at least already a Nintendo console that takes old games from both the original NES and Super Nintendo. I had one (my ex took it), and it worked great. We bought all the old games at one of those gamer stores - $1 - $20 a game. none hard to find - and they all worked in the NES/SNES combo console. I'm sure you can still easily find one of those. There are actually a couple of different kinds. I'm not sure if Nintendo itself actually made one, or if other companies just did themselves. Just google Nintendo combo console and see what you can find. If you want more than 30 old games now, this is the way to go about it (though it will be more expensive, since you need to get the games individually).

Yeah you can get one of those two in ones off Amazon. Definitely not licensed by Nintendo haha. It's a nice option I guess, I just like using the old consoles as is. The consoles are actually reasonably price on eBay. People make their money off the games and the prices just keep going up and up. A lot of collectors are hoping this release will pop the retro market's bubble, but I don't see that happening.

Almost 700 officially licensed games on the NES, and while these 30 are huge titles, they are common games that all collectors already have.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    rival. said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah you can get one of those two in ones off Amazon. Definitely not licensed by Nintendo haha. It's a nice option I guess, I just like using the old consoles as is. The consoles are actually reasonably price on eBay. People make their money off the games and the prices just keep going up and up. A lot of collectors are hoping this release will pop the retro market's bubble, but I don't see that happening.

Almost 700 officially licensed games on the NES, and while these 30 are huge titles, they are common games that all collectors already have.
    Yeah, the old consoles work too. Though I honestly didn't find that there was any difference between the them and the dual things. Exact same functionality, exact same controllers (I had the one that really looked like the original too). I'm pretty pissed that the ex made off with it, considering that I'm the one who bought it. :angry:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rival. said:

MayDay10 said:

dude, nintendo included some of the biggest titles they ever released on the console on this thing. if you were to price out an NES console and all of the games included on ebay (huge market right now for NES games), this would easily be a $400-$500 package deal if you wanted to go that route.

$2 a game with this option, $10 for a second controller. this is a no brainer for anyone that is on the fence.
    Because im a nerd, i have played most of these titles in recent years on emulators on smartphone and cpu. I still own multiple nes systems and most of these games, some in duplicate. Even then, im on the fence about this, but leaning no. The promise of more expandible titles or a "sequel" 60 dollar system with 30 more games and it would be a no brainer i think.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,844

rival. said:

nintendo is not going to be able to make enough of these.

Agreed. Looks like I may be one of those "crazies" waiting in line early or hunting one down this year.
    SNES - I will buy that too. It's a sickness I know.

That's why I've been looking for a pre-order
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

rival. said:

MayDay10 said:

Because im a nerd, i have played most of these titles in recent years on emulators on smartphone and cpu. I still own multiple nes systems and most of these games, some in duplicate. Even then, im on the fence about this, but leaning no. The promise of more expandible titles or a "sequel" 60 dollar system with 30 more games and it would be a no brainer i think.
    nah, i get it. i own most of these games as well on original console. the selling point for me is the HD compatibility. a lot of people are now mod'ing their old NES consoles for HD and i have seen video, side by side comparisons of non-HD and HD and it's amazing how great 8 bit games can look in HD :lol:

here is a video review of an NES that was modified for HD. pretty sweet... too bad the people making these are asking like $400 for them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztTHFT_Xk0o

• Options
    whoa. Awesome.

Very smart for NES to do this. I hope they have the ability to do more. I most likely will buy this thing, Im sure.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Can you pre-order this anywhere?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,844
    JK_Livin said:

I can't find any pre-orders. Searched for a bit this morning.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883

JK_Livin said:

I can't find any pre-orders. Searched for a bit this morning.
    Surprised it is not on Amazon yet. Bull Moose can preorder for instore pick up only so far.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    It looks like it is preorder in the UK only?
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    rival. said:

MayDay10 said:

rival. said:

MayDay10 said:

nah, i get it. i own most of these games as well on original console. the selling point for me is the HD compatibility. a lot of people are now mod'ing their old NES consoles for HD and i have seen video, side by side comparisons of non-HD and HD and it's amazing how great 8 bit games can look in HD :lol:

here is a video review of an NES that was modified for HD. pretty sweet... too bad the people making these are asking like $400 for them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztTHFT_Xk0o

That's really cool!
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Games that should have made the list:

Tecmo Super Bowl (licensing probably an issue)
    RBI Baseball (same thing)
    Contra
    RC Pro Am
    Baseball Stars
    Ice Hockey
    Blades of Steel
    Bionic Commando
    Metal Gear
    Pro Wrestling

Overall, it's a solid list of games

Double Dribble!

E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

While Blades was excellent, it always annoyed me that you couldnt elevate the puck.
    Nintendo Ice Hockey gets the nod over it, so much fun to play.

team fat guys!!!

• Options
    pjalive21 said:

While Blades was excellent, it always annoyed me that you couldnt elevate the puck.

team fat guys!!!

I always went with 1 skinny guy, 1 Medium guy and two Fat dudes to blast away from afar.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252

pjalive21 said:

team fat guys!!!

I always went with 1 skinny guy, 1 Medium guy and two Fat dudes to blast away from afar.
    I think I had the same lineup as well. Hahaha. I'd love to play that game right now! I was so good at that game back in the day. Pretty sure I'd be awful now.
  • Options

Jason P said:

Contra
    RC Pro Am
    Baseball Stars
    Ice Hockey
    Blades of Steel
    Bionic Commando
    Metal Gear
    Pro Wrestling

Double Dribble!

RC Pro Am! I forgot about that one.
    That was next to impossible.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,763

Jason P said:

Contra
    RC Pro Am
    Baseball Stars
    Ice Hockey
    Blades of Steel
    Bionic Commando
    Metal Gear
    Pro Wrestling

Double Dribble!

RC Pro Am! I forgot about that one.
    That was next to impossible.
    Jordan vs. Bird
    Excitebike...lol
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The only bad thing about Tecmo Bowl is no licensing from the NFL. Start doing your research on Ronnie Lott and L.T.'s number. I just hope that it's the version that had Eric Dickerson on the Colts instead of Albert Bently (a hell I was subjected to ... Yet I still owned all the fools)

Otherwise you are going to try to figure out who Eagle's QB # 12 is. (For the rookies)

Still a damn shame Ice Hockey didn't make it ...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Jack Trudeau
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    MayDay10 said:
    That's a bit misleading. They have had different ones out for years.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    They lost me at Phantasy Star 2 and 3 but NOT the original.
    And Bro Bible???
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited July 2016
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options

MayDay10 said:
    That's a bit misleading. They have had different ones out for years.
    yeah, apparently they have.... its not the highest of quality either from what I read