Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• nigelnigel Posts: 267
    Neil was awesome last night in London. A fantastic solo start to the gig built to a full on, warm electric "wall of sound". Promise of the Real were amazing too - they really seem to be bringing the best out in Neil. Highlights - Love to Burn and Revolution Blues. Laura Marling was fab in support too. HIGHLY recommended!
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    He's on the WTF podcast Monday. Should be great.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Neil played Like An Inca on Wednesday in Lyon. It was a major bustout as he had last played it in 1982.

http://sugarmtn.org/show.php?show=201606150
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Yefa said:

Neil played Like An Inca on Wednesday in Lyon. It was a major bustout as he had last played it in 1982.

How cool so see Neil is playing some of those older/lesser known great songs like "Western Hero", "Winter Long", and "Revolution Blues" (damn straight on that Neil!). Fantastic!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    brianlux said:

Yefa said:

How cool so see Neil is playing some of those older/lesser known great songs like "Western Hero", "Winter Long", and "Revolution Blues" (damn straight on that Neil!). Fantastic!
    Damn it,
    i am really regretting not traveling for this tour. but he was playing the same time as PJ this year.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Great show last night in Barcelona. Ended with Cortez the Killer.
    He played in Poble Espanol which was an amazing setting for a show.
    edited June 2016
    Like An Inca from Paris on 6/23/16
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc9JLCsgxWMimage
    - Al Swearengen

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Is there even one weak album from his self titles debut (my personal favorite) and up to Comes a Time?

American Stars and Bars feels a bit lika a B-side collection... but it's still really solid.

Best decade of any artist ever?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Really loving 'Earth' right now!
    ComeToTX said:

He's on the WTF podcast Monday. Should be great.

7 oy ot 10 in greatness.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I'm really enjoying the new 'Earth' album, it's an interesting idea to theme a live record and incorporate animal and nature sounds.

I also picked up the BluRay release of the 'Rust Never Sleeps' concert film, now that is great example of a perfect live release. I can't believe it's almost 40 years old!
    Watching it got me thinking, I posted this on page 7 of this thread in October 2012 - I guess it's another in the long line of lost Neil albums...
    goldrush said:

Taken from Neil's site:

A RUST TRILOGY

"The third episode of A Rust Trilogy, which began with Rust Never Sleeps in 1978, and continued with Weld in 1990, now concludes with Alchemy in 2012. Things have changed, yet they stay the same. Alchemy, like Rust and Weld, finds the boys at another stage of life's journey. Time has taken its toll, yet the spirit seems unstoppable."

alchemynychliveposter.jpg

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

I'm really enjoying the new 'Earth' album, it's an interesting idea to theme a live record and incorporate animal and nature sounds.

I also picked up the BluRay release of the 'Rust Never Sleeps' concert film, now that is great example of a perfect live release. I can't believe it's almost 40 years old!
    Watching it got me thinking, I posted this on page 7 of this thread in October 2012 - I guess it's another in the long line of lost Neil albums...

goldrush said:

Taken from Neil's site:

A RUST TRILOGY

"The third episode of A Rust Trilogy, which began with Rust Never Sleeps in 1978, and continued with Weld in 1990, now concludes with Alchemy in 2012. Things have changed, yet they stay the same. Alchemy, like Rust and Weld, finds the boys at another stage of life's journey. Time has taken its toll, yet the spirit seems unstoppable."

alchemynychliveposter.jpg

I would love to see an Alchemy release.
    I attended a show on that tour and it was beyond amazing. and sadly it might be the last time we see the Horse live.

I just think with Pegi being in so much of the footage it might be a strange thing to edit right now.
    I hope it eventually comes out.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Maybe it will come out in Archives volume 5 or something! Although, this image is also on Neil's website...

(Tim Rogers)
    Interesting article in RS recently that says "After he wraps his current tour in October, Young will continue work on Archives II, the follow-up to 2009's Archives, which collected unreleased material up to 1972. Young says the project will include Dume, an album of songs from the Zuma era, and Hitchhiker, an acoustic LP from the mid-Seventies."

rollingstone.com/music/features/inside-neil-youngs-nature-themed-opus-20160705

He's already said in the past that the Archives II series will include Time Fades Away II, as well as Chrome Dreams, Homegrown, Oceanside-Countryside and Odeon-Budokan, and I would love it if the original acetate version of Tonight's The Night or the acoustic version Comes a Time came out sometime too

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

Interesting article in RS recently that says "After he wraps his current tour in October, Young will continue work on Archives II, the follow-up to 2009's Archives, which collected unreleased material up to 1972. Young says the project will include Dume, an album of songs from the Zuma era, and Hitchhiker, an acoustic LP from the mid-Seventies."

rollingstone.com/music/features/inside-neil-youngs-nature-themed-opus-20160705

He's already said in the past that the Archives II series will include Time Fades Away II, as well as Chrome Dreams, Homegrown, Oceanside-Countryside and Odeon-Budokan, and I would love it if the original acetate version of Tonight's The Night or the acoustic version Comes a Time came out sometime too

Volume II will be where a lot of the lost gems are.... Homegrown. original Tonight Tonight. Time Fades Away II holy shit!!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Yeah it's definitely my favourite Neil era, like Spiritual_Chaos said it could be one of the best decades for any artist. There's an insane amount of unreleased stuff that could form part of Volume II.

Volume III, on the other hand, could be completely nuts! The 80s were all over the place so who knows what's in store for us there!

(Tim Rogers)
    Neil and POTR will play shows in Telluride on September 30 and October 1.

http://www.neilyoungtelluride.com
    - Al Swearengen

edited July 2016
    Is anyone else going to Farm Aid in Bristow, VA on September 17? This will be my 8th Farm Aid. My first Farm Aid was at the same venue in 1999.
    - Al Swearengen

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Anyone know where I can just listen to Earth for free? Not on Spotify obviously, and not on YouTube. I've heard weird stuff about it, so I don't want to pay for it until I can give it a listen. Thx!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    neil's(with promise of the real) playing telluride for 2 nights. that would be incredible++
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    PJ_Soul said:

Anyone know where I can just listen to Earth for free? Not on Spotify obviously, and not on YouTube. I've heard weird stuff about it, so I don't want to pay for it until I can give it a listen. Thx!

Would like to hear some of it first myself. I'm a lo-o-o-o-ng time Neil fan but in recent decades I tend to proceed with a bit of caution (life on a budget).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Neil puts out fantastic quality sounding records but damn are they expensive.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    edited July 2016
    It is the 15 years anniversary of seeing Neil for the first time (2001) with my two brothers, so we went from Sweden together to Berlin to see him. It was amazing. Saw Bruce two days later here in Sweden, and it just can't compare.

I've seen Neil in 2001, 2003 (Greendale tour), 2008 and now in 2016 and he's still incredble.

one of the best concerts I've seen. Love and only love into RITFW was better than any PJ-RITFW I've heard.

After the Gold Rush
    Heart of Gold
    The Needle and the Damage Done
    Mother Earth (Natural Anthem)
    Out on the Weekend
    Unknown Legend
    Peace of Mind
    Human Highway
    Are You Ready for the Country?
    Someday
    Winterlong
    Bad Fog of Loneliness
    Alabama
    Words (Between the Lines of Age)
    Powderfinger
    Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    Down by the River
    Western Hero
    People Want to Hear About Love
    Seed Justice
    Monsanto Years
    Wolf Moon
    Love and Only Love
    Rockin' in the Free World
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    edited July 2016
    thank you, sir.
    I am jealous of all you Europeans. seeing some awesome shows.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687

neil's(with promise of the real) playing telluride for 2 nights. that would be incredible++

i am freaking doing this. Hoping others on here are going too.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    So. In the subway they are advertising Neil youngs new album Earth being streamed on Tidal.

What the hell happened to PONO?!?

So. In the subway they are advertising Neil youngs new album Earth being streamed on Tidal.

What the hell happened to PONO?!?

Pono doesn't have streaming?

That album sucks though. Such a weird mixing (not counting the animal sunds).

I rather put on a bootleg from this European tour.

And if he wanted animal sounds and such, he could have used it during the concerts inbetween songs and stuff. Overdubbing cows and gees... it's just bad.

And I found the mixing and sound of it to be pretty bad (some cool songs on it though).
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    To those interested. Reissues of On the Beach, Time Fades, Zuma and Tonights the Night on the way
    http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/neil-youngs-on-the-beach-is-finally-reissued-on-standalone-vinyl/#more-125209
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981

To those interested. Reissues of On the Beach, Time Fades, Zuma and Tonights the Night on the way
    http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/neil-youngs-on-the-beach-is-finally-reissued-on-standalone-vinyl/#more-125209

Saw these at my local yesterday, very nice reissues. I have them all except Time Fades Away, so will probably get that one next...

A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.