*** Ride Festival Fanviews Here 7/9/16 ***

Comments

• happenstance33happenstance33 Colorado Posts: 8
    I shoulda hooked up with some you fellow Ten Clubbers there... I don't get to go to a lot of shows or be that close. I was busy with my kiddos though. :)
    Edved007 said:

I really have never been inspired by a place before like Telluride. From the drive in on Friday afternoon to the drive out on Sunday morning it was just special. I have never been to such a relaxed chill place with the most down to earth, kind, and genuine people. I was there solo but never felt alone. Everyone was just so genuine it truly restored a bit of faith in humanity for me. It sounds strange, but the favorite picture I took all weekend was of the phone charging station in the campground. I bet there was 20-30 phones plugged in and the owners were nowhere to be found, everyone just trusted everyone to be good human beings (well that and the sign telling you what to do if a black bear attacks, haha)

The show was obviously special as well and you can tell Ed an the boys put A LOT of thought into the layout of the show. The quiet start was so fitting for the venue, and Low Light while the sun was setting into the Mountains was just surreal. Angel didn't sound the best, but who really cares? They did something SO special for the Faithful that found a way to get there. Society (I love this song) played with the whole band is something I've hoped I'd get to see for a long time as well. Santa Cruz with all the lyric changes for Telluride was another just great moment. I usually can take or leave Crazy Mary, and maybe it's partially because I haven't seen it live in awhile but it was insane. Mike and Boom like battling it out is something I really hope comes through on the boot.

YES!!!....the charging station was the best. You may have seen my lone BlackBerry there. I taught my kids all about the social contract of camping this weekend. We all just respect each others stuff and everyone is happy.
  • This show deserves more attention. 3 days later and I'm still in awe of what I experienced Saturday. Amazing.

This show deserves more attention. 3 days later and I'm still in awe of what I experienced Saturday. Amazing.

Agreed...I think it's just now sinking in how special it was. I can't wait for the bootleg.
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,610
    I think this was one of the best organized festivals I've ever been to. There was a separate area for kids to be engaged in arts &crafts with a rock climbing wall, bungee trampoline and bouncy house. The lines for everything weren't very long...except the merch tent on Sat.,which stretched from the stage to the back of the venue practically all day. (Lol! )And the port a Johns remained clean, with adequate toilet paper until the end of the whole gig...hand washing stations too! Its the little things like that, coupled with the great music, landscape and people that make this event one to cherish and hopefully, some day, repeat.
  • CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    What an experience this show was! It was # 60 for me, and like others have said, the venue alone made it a special evening. Telluride does restore your faith in Mankind and takes you back to simpler times where people are friendly and everyone takes care of each other. We dd see a poor deer that took a wrong turn and ended up inside the festival gate. Poor thing tried to hope a fence and broke an antler. Something you don't see everyday. The set list was perfect for the venue, and having seen both nights at Red Rocks, as well as the Gorge in WA, neither compares to the beauty of the Ride Festival. Worth every penny!!!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Colorado Posts: 1,375
    URthekey said:

I think this was one of the best organized festivals I've ever been to. There was a separate area for kids to be engaged in arts &crafts with a rock climbing wall, bungee trampoline and bouncy house. The lines for everything weren't very long...except the merch tent on Sat.,which stretched from the stage to the back of the venue practically all day. (Lol! )And the port a Johns remained clean, with adequate toilet paper until the end of the whole gig...hand washing stations too! Its the little things like that, coupled with the great music, landscape and people that make this event one to cherish and hopefully, some day, repeat.

LOL...I didn't have to use a port-o-potty the whole time I was there! The bathroom/showers were just steps away from our camp spot and they were cleaned frequently. That definitely added to the whole camping experience! :blush:
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Did this show sell out?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    mcgruff10 said:

Did this show sell out?

When we were p/u our wristbands at the gate, they were telling people that they were no longer selling tix for Saturday. Sunday was about 1/2 the amount of people, if even that.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
    mcgruff10 said:

Did this show sell out?

There were GA weekend wristbands and Town Park camping passes still available a week before the show, I know those sold out by the weekend. I still feel like the grounds could have held more people on Sat night, so I was wondering if it was completely sold out too.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

This show deserves more attention. 3 days later and I'm still in awe of what I experienced Saturday. Amazing.

I'm sure the show does deserve more attention, but maybe the reason why it's not, is because not too many 10C members could make the show?

I wonder how the non die-hard liked the show?(considering the unique beginning of the show).
    edited July 2016
    cutz said:

I'm sure the show does deserve more attention, but maybe the reason why it's not, is because not too many 10C members could make the show?

I wonder how the non die-hard liked the show?(considering the unique beginning of the show).
    There were lots of people I talked to who had always wanted to see PJ, but never had and were very excited to see them for the first time. Those I talked to on Sunday who were not die hard/10C members absolutely loved it and knew they had been given a once in a lifetime unique show. There really were a lot of kids and families there, so the slow opening was just right.

Post edited by happenstance33 on
  • PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Colorado Posts: 1,375
    There were two young guys (maybe in their late teens or early twenties) right next to us that said it was the best show they had ever seen. They were so stoked when they got to shake Eddie's hand during Alive. The looks on their faces were priceless. After we talked with them, I said "welcome to the club." :giggle:
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.
  • UmphreysJam34UmphreysJam34 Posts: 771
    edited July 2016

Not sure if it sold out or not. But I do know telluride puts a strong cap on capacity for each show there. This ensures everyone has enough room and it's not a packed in mess.
    edited July 2016
    PorchGirlCO.....awesome. I love it. :)

Here's nice recap of the show and great set of pics. It says Eddie and Mike both requested oxygen backstage. It also sounds like the show was indeed sold out, they just had a strict cutoff.

http://pancakesandwhiskey.com/2016/07/14/pearl-jam-ride-festival/

....also just wanted to add, I so loved Eddie's story about the KOTO-FM sticker. I've seen that sticker around, it's like a mainstay. And I had just bought a kick ass KOTO shirt at the merch tent, but only on the condition that it benefited the radio station.
    Post edited by happenstance33 on
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,294
    Saturdays attendance was 8,700. Sundays was 8,200 according to the festival organizer.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    "...it doesnt get better than this, and this is one of those times"

Been watching The Shift by Dr. Wayne Dyer and he mentions a study detailing that later in life
    Men's #1 goal is, spirituality. Check.

A very tiny part of Telluride's beauty is the struggle it takes to get there. It's a serious hilly curvy drive from Denver and your rental car might even drop it's transmission on the I70, just west of Denver...you know those mountains, if you have driven that way. That massive canyon just east of Grand Junction is definitely one of the en-route rewards, especially at dusk. Driving into Telluride you see the massive snow capped mountains and then you start to believe this is the Destination Event that was hoped for.

The weather was amazing all weekend and free music Friday was the perfect start. The Sheepdogs brought it. Mountain Village done right.

Loved Band Of Heathens and their version of Brown Eyed Women was top shelf. The Dirty Knobs started off a bit rough on the first song but by the end of their show we were won over.
    Later that night The Temperance Movement heated up the Sheridan Opera House, a 100+ year old wood venue. Their lead singer, Phil, is cool to watch him groove out.

Telluride opening was Pendulumorphosis which was a first in 5 shows for 2016 for me. As soon as Nothingman hit as the opener I knew all bets were off. Into The Wild so obvious now, it didn't even register before the show started. Thin Air, of course. Angel and Society.

Lately been super hooked on Willie's & Lukas's official video of Just Breathe, especially the
    part after Lukas's guitar solo. To get that song played in paradise meant everything. TYPJ

Bridal Falls, happy people everywhere, a relaxed atmosphere. the gondola, the aspen trees
    the box canyon, the perfect weather, the green hash. It was all love, nature, God&Music.

The view from 2/3 ways back from the stage had incredible sound. Exactly like Ed implied, the night time star count is big in this town. But there's also that crescent moon, just above the stage to the right, with the 2 planets, and that sunset. WOW

Unthought Known during that golden sunset, with that moon, is something I will never forget.

See the path cut by the moon
    For you to walk on
    See the waves on distant shores
    Awaiting your arrival

Jennifer/us got Comfortably Numb, which the band is nailing on this tour. Of course Sirens, Smile, and Alive. Seriously, who could complain? New fans made, no question about it.

Gotta thank KC ! for pulling this together, as Ed said. Kudos to him for seeing the vision and helping build the dreams where the magic can happen. Also a great funny birthday story, Ed.

Loved how EV personalized the show(made it to the mountains had a smoke in a tree), KOTO sticker etc. He was super grateful, feeling blessed & thankful, humbled, and talkative, all in one.

All in all it was exactly what was needed. Thanks PJ for doing it right again.
    It was such a great RIDE.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Great review. I can't wait for the opportunity to see Red Rocks and the Gorge but right now I gotta believe that Telluride's town park would be the best location of the three based on being in the middle of the town too as well.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    BS44325 said:

NWOntario said:

Definitely a unique setlist on paper. But the songs fit the atmosphere and the environment perfectly. Plus you have to remember they were at 9000 feet, it would've been tough for them to come out blazing.

Was there a stated reason for the slow start? Like a rough crowd? Or did it just happen?

That's a wild start to a show. My goodness.

No reason needed to be stated and no "rough crowd" at all. Telluride is so chill that a "slow start" is completely natural. It's hard to describe but you can't find a more relaxed place on earth. The band starting out on stools for about 6-7 songs was so appropriate and the crowd loved it. I was about 20 rows back in the middle and it was just grooving. I swear we were having a dance party during Off He Goes. Just a beautiful set in a beautiful setting. I hate to say it but this is one where you just "had to be there" to understand. The mountains wrote the setlist.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxnxH-7Xk7U
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    BS44325 said:

The mountains wrote the setlist.

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    Any word on when this bootleg will be out?
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    I think I saw somewhere that it was August 14th.
    The Rob: Ride will play on Ten Club Radio on August 12th and be available for purchase that day as well.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    Show just started on Sirius
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• RS151862 said:

Show just started on Sirius

Telluride?
  • Interesting fact- I rode the gondola with the Finance Director of the city of Telluride during the bluegrass festival, which is there biggest festival permit-wise at 11,500. She said they upped the permit size for The Ride festival this year from 9,500 to 11,500 due to... you guessed it, The Faithfull who come to see Pearl Jam. Nicely done. We are a force to be reckoned with.
    SO wish I could have been there.
    Crossing fingers for Red Rocks!
    Lollapalooza @ Great Woods 8-8-92~~CU Field House 11-26-93~~Red Rocks 6-20-95~~Randall's Island 9-28-96~~Randall's Island 9-29-96~~Columbia, Maryland 9-24-96~~EV solo Hartford, CT 6-18-11~~EV solo Albuquerque, NM 11-6-12~~ Denver 10-22-2014~~Fenway II 8-7-2016
    Caught the first airing of this show on a road trip with my dog in UP Michigan....it just doesn't get any better than that. :-)
    Today is the day! :smiley:
  • The most beautiful concert experience, just listened to the boot and it took us back just liked we hoped it would. Lets hear it for Mikey, SMILE ☺
    ^ :clap: