*** Ride Festival Fanviews Here 7/9/16 ***

Comments

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    The town, venue, show were all money. Great people and great times. Comfortably Numb just slayed the crowd.
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    edited July 2016
    Looks like it was amazing

Wish i could have swung this trip

And respect to the classy call out to Dave A
    Post edited by Daron Oshay on
  • EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    Very cool set.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • halloweenhead95halloweenhead95 Croatia Posts: 240
    edited July 2016
    Very weird setlist... 9 slow songs in the beginning?
    The band were sitting 1/3 of the show :)
    Can't wait for the bootleg!
    Post edited by halloweenhead95 on
    2014: Trieste, Italy 06-22
    2018: Padova, Italy 06-24
    2022: Imola, Italy 06-25
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited July 2016
    Wasn't planning/expecting to be this close, but I will take it. Had a great time with some new friends and my better half. The whole experience was amazing.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

completely agree I took a look at this setlist and was like wow they went laid back on this one, but to be honest it will be a bootleg keeper for sure

• Definitely a unique setlist on paper. But the songs fit the atmosphere and the environment perfectly. Plus you have to remember they were at 9000 feet, it would've been tough for them to come out blazing.

Been to 33 shows and this is in the top 3. Incredible show and the most beautiful venue I've ever been to. Better than red rocks (haven't been to the Gorge yet). Still in an afterglow from this show.
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823

Definitely a unique setlist on paper. But the songs fit the atmosphere and the environment perfectly. Plus you have to remember they were at 9000 feet, it would've been tough for them to come out blazing.

Was there a stated reason for the slow start? Like a rough crowd? Or did it just happen?

That's a wild start to a show. My goodness.

Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    NWOntario said:

Definitely a unique setlist on paper. But the songs fit the atmosphere and the environment perfectly. Plus you have to remember they were at 9000 feet, it would've been tough for them to come out blazing.

Was there a stated reason for the slow start? Like a rough crowd? Or did it just happen?

Well, if there is one word I could describe the atmosphere in Telluride it would be "chill". You just look around at all the mountains and scenery and it just puts you in a relaxed state (I'm sure a lot got more than just a natural high). When the band came out at 7:15 or so it was still daylight for another hour or so I think it was just a perfect time to start off slow. Plus as someone mentioned above, you can tired quickly at that elevation.

I didn't hear any stories about a rough crowd. There may have been some drunks that got disorderly.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited July 2016
    NWOntario said:

Ed said they had all kinds of time so they were going to ease into it. He talked a good amount between a couple songs and it seemed they were really conscious of the altitude. It made for a really unique show. I couldn't really see the back, but the energy up front was amazing.
    NWOntario said:

No reason needed to be stated and no "rough crowd" at all. Telluride is so chill that a "slow start" is completely natural. It's hard to describe but you can't find a more relaxed place on earth. The band starting out on stools for about 6-7 songs was so appropriate and the crowd loved it. I was about 20 rows back in the middle and it was just grooving. I swear we were having a dance party during Off He Goes. Just a beautiful set in a beautiful setting. I hate to say it but this is one where you just "had to be there" to understand. The mountains wrote the setlist.
  • scornlanderscornlander Colorado Posts: 98
    BS44325 said:

Telluride is so chill that a "slow start" is completely natural. It's hard to describe but you can't find a more relaxed place on earth.

I agree. Coming out with guns blazing would have been inappropriate. A slow start is perfect for Telluride.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758

BS44325 said:

Telluride is so chill that a "slow start" is completely natural. It's hard to describe but you can't find a more relaxed place on earth.

I agree. Coming out with guns blazing would have been inappropriate. A slow start is perfect for Telluride.
    The crowd was already "blazing." I cracked up at all the smoke in the Periscope video. Not sure anyone could have moved any faster even if they wanted to.

BS44325 said:

The crowd was already "blazing." I cracked up at all the smoke in the Periscope video. Not sure anyone could have moved any faster even if they wanted to.
    Guilty as charged
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,610
    The sound was really good at this venue. I was imagining all the animals far up the hillsides grooving to PJ 's set as the bass echoed off the mountains. For most of the other bands I just sat on the blanket with my back to the stage gazing out at the landscape. The view was just incredible. Cage really brought it all home Sun night. They had the crowd rocking hard and were giving it their all. I had so much fun this weekend, met lots of great people, the food there was healthy and not too overpriced. I was smiling so much my cheeks were getting cramped. (Might have been due to all the 'girl scout cookies' and/ or the Deep Eddy vodka consumed.)
  • DB15740DB15740 Westfield MA Posts: 70
    Man, that's one hell of a set list!! Sprinkle some of that into Fenway 1 please...
    Springfield MA 4/6/94; Hartford CT 9/13/98; Saratoga Springs NY 8/27/00;
    Albany NY 4/29/03; Mansfield MA 7/2/03; Mansfield MA 7/11/03; Boston MA 9/28/04;
    Hartford CT 5/13/06; Hartford CT 6/27/08; Hartford CT 5/15/10; Worcester MA 10/16/13; Hartford CT 10/25/13;
    Fenway I 8/5/16; Fenway II 8/7/16; Fenway I  9/2/18; Fenway II  9/4/18
  • TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318
    Great reading, I love the setlist and the comments especially regarding the landscape and atmosphere. I can't wait to hear the bootleg.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    What else could the heart of a man desire?... :plus_one:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410
    I read the review and just shook my head thinking " man I really missed it." We head to Snowmass every summer and I was going to plan the trip around the Ride Festival then got to thinking about the kids and girlfriend and how they might not appreciate being drug around the state for a concert so I blew it off... NEVER AGAIN!!! Looks like a fabulous night! Pearl Jam and the Colorado Rocky Mountains .... how do you blow that off? ... See ya at Fenway ... smh :(
    Love is all you need.....
  • SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410
    pjalive21 said:

completely agree I took a look at this setlist and was like wow they went laid back on this one, but to be honest it will be a bootleg keeper for sure

</blockquote

perhaps a glimpse of things to come ... they do grow up and settle down :)
    As I age I kinda like the whole laid back vibe with semiacoustic elements ....
    Love is all you need.....
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    It should be the second instant classic bootleg! Keep up with the tradition guys. Remember? :wink:

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Man, I'm stoked that they finally played Angel, but that was pretty rough sounding. Looks like a sweet set all in all though.
  • PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Colorado Posts: 1,375
    Wow!!! Everything was unreal about this show. From the drive into town, to how camping in Town Park turned out to be the perfect scenario (I went solo and the neighbors on each side of me were so fun and chill, not to mention fanatics like me!) to the beautiful landscape and especially the show itself!! Everything worked out exactly how any perfect concert experience is supposed to work out. We were about 5 back from the rail and directly in front of Eddie. The band seemed to be so grateful and happy to be there. Did I mention ANGEL and SANTA CRUZ (Telluride)?? Great setlist too. Mike, of course, brought it...and BOOM!! The pairing of him and Mike during Crazy Mary was insane!!! And the story about the ridiculously potent weed was hysterical...I laughed my ass off. And last but not least, during ALIVE Eddie stood on the rail right in front of us!! This was definitely one for the books and truly EPIC!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.
  • PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Colorado Posts: 1,375

Wasn't planning/expecting to be this close, but I will take it. Had a great time with some new friends and my better half. The whole experience was amazing.

Love, love, love this picture!! Glad I could experience it with you guys!! :smile:

I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.

Love, love, love this picture!! Glad I could experience it with you guys!! :smile:

One of those hands has to be yours! It was such a pleasure to meet and hang with all of you. The experience is always enhanced when shared with others. I'm actually on a plane right now, but will work on sending all the pictures we have to you all when we get back.
  • Edved007Edved007 Milwaukee, WI Posts: 1,020
    I really have never been inspired by a place before like Telluride. From the drive in on Friday afternoon to the drive out on Sunday morning it was just special. I have never been to such a relaxed chill place with the most down to earth, kind, and genuine people. I was there solo but never felt alone. Everyone was just so genuine it truly restored a bit of faith in humanity for me. It sounds strange, but the favorite picture I took all weekend was of the phone charging station in the campground. I bet there was 20-30 phones plugged in and the owners were nowhere to be found, everyone just trusted everyone to be good human beings (well that and the sign telling you what to do if a black bear attacks, haha)

The show was obviously special as well and you can tell Ed an the boys put A LOT of thought into the layout of the show. The quiet start was so fitting for the venue, and Low Light while the sun was setting into the Mountains was just surreal. Angel didn't sound the best, but who really cares? They did something SO special for the Faithful that found a way to get there. Society (I love this song) played with the whole band is something I've hoped I'd get to see for a long time as well. Santa Cruz with all the lyric changes for Telluride was another just great moment. I usually can take or leave Crazy Mary, and maybe it's partially because I haven't seen it live in awhile but it was insane. Mike and Boom like battling it out is something I really hope comes through on the boot.
    95' - 7/9
    98' - 6/26, 6/27, 6/29, 8/26, 9/22
    03' - 4/25
    06' - 6/29, 6/30
    07' - 8/05
    09' - 8/23
    11' - 9/03, 9/04
    12' - 9/30
    13' - 7/16, 7/19, 10/21, 10/22, 11/15, 11/16, 12/06
    14' - 06/28, 06/29, 10/1, 10/03, 10/16, 10/17, 10/20, 10/22
    15' - 11/20, 11/22
    16' - 4/21, 4/26, 4/28, 4/29, 5/1, 5/2, 7/9, 8/5, 8/7, 8/20, 8/22
    17' - 4/7
    18' - 7/1, 7/3, 7/5, 8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20, 9/4
    21' - 10/1, 10/2
    22' - 7/12, 7/14, 9/6, 9/8
  • happenstance33happenstance33 Colorado Posts: 8
    edited July 2016
    I don't why dude keeps asking why they didn't come out rocking...because the occasion didn't call for it. That's not Telluride and if you'd ever been to Telluride, you would know that.

Not only that, there was a lot of families there too...lots of kids. This was not a rager kind of show. I had both my kids with me for their first show, camped out in Town Park next to the venue. There were tons of people with kids and families listening from their campsites. My 9 yo daughter and I were up close for the second half of the night...truly amazing experience for all of us.

I'm a Colorado native and this could not have been any more perfect. Telluride is one of the most amazing places on Earth and you can tell the band really got what that place like that is all about. Our little high altitude mountain towns are some of the best kept gems in the world and they bring you back in time...slow you down, disconnect from the madness. The people are some of the nicest, most down to Earth people you will ever meet. It's always good for the soul. They totally nailed the set. I was wondering how they would deal with the altitude...growing up here I know people need time to acclimate, especially coming from sea level.

It brought me such joy to know the band got to know the little slice of heaven that is Telluride and share that time with so many great people.
    Post edited by happenstance33 on
    Telluride was the show of the year so far. It may not have been the best setlist, but the venue puts this one over the top.
    edited July 2016

Telluride was the show of the year so far. It may not have been the best setlist, but the venue puts this one over the top.

Did you end up not cancelling? Good for you. A very memorable experience.

Did you end up not cancelling? Good for you. A very memorable experience.
    Yep, I rebooked some flights and got it all to work out!