*** Bonnaroo Fanviews Here 6/11/16 ***

2»

Comments

• Hey the set list is wrong on the website... it's Go into Save You, then later Why Go into Porch. They've got them switched around. Please fix 'cause my OCD can't handle it...

Also, could someone please post Save You to Youtube 'cause I really love it and there's never any live videos of it....thx
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    AndySlash said:

30th pearl jam show, 10th bonnaroo (since 2004).

welp, this was the type of set i expected in 2008. i didn't think it'd happen this time around. alas. while i'd have been pretty disappointed if i went to roo just for this set, still had a blast in this particular setting. ed flubbed lyrics all over the place, especially at the beginning, but the band was pretty much high energy throughout the night. there were some points where it seemed ed wasn't getting the crowd response he wanted/anticipated, but from every on-site and online opinion i've seen and heard, a lot of people were really happy with the show and had high praise for it. they probably made some new fans this weekend.

the main highlight for me was 'comfortably numb'. my favorite song of all time, played by one of my favorite bands, at my favorite place on this earth. it really was all i was hoping for, and it was a joyful experience.

https://youtu.be/QBDqtfyssBI
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    Interesting that Pilate was crossed off. Considering the hit laden set we got, that would've been a real left field inclusion and possible crowd killer!
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • sgtppr67sgtppr67 Posts: 241
    AndySlash said:

30th pearl jam show, 10th bonnaroo (since 2004).

the main highlight for me was 'comfortably numb'. my favorite song of all time, played by one of my favorite bands, at my favorite place on this earth. it really was all i was hoping for, and it was a joyful experience.

It was my 9th Bonnaroo in a row and my PJ20. I'm felt the same way, that song was like a Rock and Roll Reese's cup....you got your Floyd in my Pj... No man you got you PJ in my Floyd!! A highlight to a great fucking weekend
  • FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    I saw Peal Jam at Bonnaroo! :smiley:

When PJ played Bonnaroo in 2008, I resolved myself to the fact that I would definitely be there the next time they played, no matter what. I'm so happy I was able to pull this off and have as great of a time as I did.

Bonnaroo is a special music festival. It's not like Lollapalooza or SXSW or Coachella. Bonnaroo requires you to deal with the hot tennessee weather, makes you camp on a farm in the middl eof nowhere. It makes you drive several hours and hundreds of miles as a pilgramage or rite of passage. The festival has a core group of fans that go every year and have grown the culture into a 'Radiate positivity', 'respect the farm', and 'stay true to Roo' mentality. You don't find this kind of atmosphere at other festivals, Bonnaroo is a life altering experience for this very reason.

I saw the lightning moving in during Macklemore's set. I'm not an idiot, I knew what that meant, and I started praying to the Bonnaroo gods that the set wouldn't be cancelled. The evacuation was orderly and painless. I'm so glad that so many people were able to seek safety and then make it back in time to still enjoy the full set.

I met so many people in the pit line that this was their first Pearl Jam show. There was 1 guy that was seeing his 10th show. I mentioned that this was my 28th show, and the excitement in their eyes when they started asking me about the chances of songs being played and guest appearances, and what guitars McCready uses on certain songs was awesome. I was the resident Pearl Jam expert for that short bonding moment. (I did feel bad that I informed one guy that there was no chance Chris Cornell would come out... But I did mention the singer of Band of Horses sang Hunger Strike with PJ at MSG in 2010, so that was certainly a chance.) Unfortunately, some people snuck in line, and then there were tons of VIPs that got in and the group around me were left to find a spot behind the 2nd ring of barriers.

I went back to my group, a little back on McCready's side and was actually happy I didn't make it into the pit. I realized it was more important I see the set with them than it was for me to get close.
    As the night moved on, I was dead sure they would open with Lightning Bolt because of the weather delay. Go is also a favorite so I didn't mind.

Save You's lyrics was the most cringworthy thing I have ever heard at a PJ show. I felt so bad for Eddie. He was trying so hard to remember the words. I wanted to mouth them to him, but I was way far back. They must have played an extra verse or 2 trying to get it right, but finally the song ended.

This started the section of songs that I didn't really enjoy. It really felt like Ed was rushing through the set extremely fast. He kept messing up lyrics, and I knew that he was kicking himself.

Once Even Flow started, Ed was able to take a break during the solo. McCready melted so many new faces. Looking around in the crowd, there were many more people dancing at this point than at the beginning. Ed then goes into a 2nd political rant of the night. I fully expected this, but it did take away a little from the show. Make your point in 3 sentences and then move on.

I wish they did a tag on Daughter. This is really where the 'jam' shows through. Finishing the set with songs off Ten was great. It was like I was back in Philly singing along to the record, except I was in the best field in the middle of nowhere in Tennessee.

Fuckin' Oceans. They played oceans in the middle of Tennessee! 3rd time I got it this tour, and it was better than the rest!

The lighter/cell phone/candle thing was cool. I actually brought a lighter because I knew we were going to do something like that atleast once during the set.

The highlight of the show was definitely Comfortably Numb. Mike absolutely killed the solo. I danced more than I ever have during a solo because I knew I was in the most non-judging music venue on earth. It was absolutely glorious. The dancing continued into the first song I ever loved, DTE.

The what stage field is a special kind of venue. The stage is now permanent. The food vendors, barriers, speaker stacks, etc are all optimally placed. It can hold 90,000 people, but only about 55,000 were there, so there was plenty of room to spread out. They lit up the crowd during Alive, as per usual, but this was not a normal crowd. There wasn't fist-pumping en-mass like an arena show. This was a crowded field of first time Pearl Jammers, and let me tell you, they were jamming. I have never seen so many air guitar solos at one time in my life. This is what made the show special. Knowing that so many people had their faces melted by McCready in that field, it was all worth it.

I'm so glad they didn't play any rarities. We came expecting a festival set, and a festival set is what they delivered. Thank you Pearl Jam for making the 14 hour drive each way worth it. Thanks for making the 95+ degree heat during the day worth it. Thanks for being the reason that I decided to make it back to Bonnaroo this year.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • MonkeyDan72MonkeyDan72 Posts: 676
    edited June 2016
    Post edited by MonkeyDan72 on
  • FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    My Bonnaroo 2016 video!

https://www.facebook.com/fgkemper/posts/10209644688824722?notif_t=like&notif_id=1466174031384154

Should be set to "public". I've watched this thing so many times and I love it haha
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    FrankieG said:

I saw Peal Jam at Bonnaroo! :smiley:

When PJ played Bonnaroo in 2008, I resolved myself to the fact that I would definitely be there the next time they played, no matter what. I'm so happy I was able to pull this off and have as great of a time as I did.

Bonnaroo is a special music festival. It's not like Lollapalooza or SXSW or Coachella. Bonnaroo requires you to deal with the hot tennessee weather, makes you camp on a farm in the middl eof nowhere. It makes you drive several hours and hundreds of miles as a pilgramage or rite of passage. The festival has a core group of fans that go every year and have grown the culture into a 'Radiate positivity', 'respect the farm', and 'stay true to Roo' mentality. You don't find this kind of atmosphere at other festivals, Bonnaroo is a life altering experience for this very reason.

I saw the lightning moving in during Macklemore's set. I'm not an idiot, I knew what that meant, and I started praying to the Bonnaroo gods that the set wouldn't be cancelled. The evacuation was orderly and painless. I'm so glad that so many people were able to seek safety and then make it back in time to still enjoy the full set.

I met so many people in the pit line that this was their first Pearl Jam show. There was 1 guy that was seeing his 10th show. I mentioned that this was my 28th show, and the excitement in their eyes when they started asking me about the chances of songs being played and guest appearances, and what guitars McCready uses on certain songs was awesome. I was the resident Pearl Jam expert for that short bonding moment. (I did feel bad that I informed one guy that there was no chance Chris Cornell would come out... But I did mention the singer of Band of Horses sang Hunger Strike with PJ at MSG in 2010, so that was certainly a chance.) Unfortunately, some people snuck in line, and then there were tons of VIPs that got in and the group around me were left to find a spot behind the 2nd ring of barriers.

I went back to my group, a little back on McCready's side and was actually happy I didn't make it into the pit. I realized it was more important I see the set with them than it was for me to get close.
    As the night moved on, I was dead sure they would open with Lightning Bolt because of the weather delay. Go is also a favorite so I didn't mind.

Save You's lyrics was the most cringworthy thing I have ever heard at a PJ show. I felt so bad for Eddie. He was trying so hard to remember the words. I wanted to mouth them to him, but I was way far back. They must have played an extra verse or 2 trying to get it right, but finally the song ended.

This started the section of songs that I didn't really enjoy. It really felt like Ed was rushing through the set extremely fast. He kept messing up lyrics, and I knew that he was kicking himself.

Once Even Flow started, Ed was able to take a break during the solo. McCready melted so many new faces. Looking around in the crowd, there were many more people dancing at this point than at the beginning. Ed then goes into a 2nd political rant of the night. I fully expected this, but it did take away a little from the show. Make your point in 3 sentences and then move on.

I wish they did a tag on Daughter. This is really where the 'jam' shows through. Finishing the set with songs off Ten was great. It was like I was back in Philly singing along to the record, except I was in the best field in the middle of nowhere in Tennessee.

Fuckin' Oceans. They played oceans in the middle of Tennessee! 3rd time I got it this tour, and it was better than the rest!

The lighter/cell phone/candle thing was cool. I actually brought a lighter because I knew we were going to do something like that atleast once during the set.

The highlight of the show was definitely Comfortably Numb. Mike absolutely killed the solo. I danced more than I ever have during a solo because I knew I was in the most non-judging music venue on earth. It was absolutely glorious. The dancing continued into the first song I ever loved, DTE.

The what stage field is a special kind of venue. The stage is now permanent. The food vendors, barriers, speaker stacks, etc are all optimally placed. It can hold 90,000 people, but only about 55,000 were there, so there was plenty of room to spread out. They lit up the crowd during Alive, as per usual, but this was not a normal crowd. There wasn't fist-pumping en-mass like an arena show. This was a crowded field of first time Pearl Jammers, and let me tell you, they were jamming. I have never seen so many air guitar solos at one time in my life. This is what made the show special. Knowing that so many people had their faces melted by McCready in that field, it was all worth it.

I'm so glad they didn't play any rarities. We came expecting a festival set, and a festival set is what they delivered. Thank you Pearl Jam for making the 14 hour drive each way worth it. Thanks for making the 95+ degree heat during the day worth it. Thanks for being the reason that I decided to make it back to Bonnaroo this year.

but did you sample the 'shrooms, man?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• MS657977MS657977 Atlanta Posts: 10
    I went up just for Saturday - here is the article I wrote about the day if you care to read it:
    Bonnaroo Day 3
  • Hubmann2513Hubmann2513 Posts: 237
    MS657977 said:

I went up just for Saturday - here is the article I wrote about the day if you care to read it:
    Bonnaroo Day 3

I really enjoyed your write up! The whole day was quite good, and PJs set was amazing even if it had some mistakes/had a hit heavy set! Thanks for sharing and helping me relive my experience!
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,825
    MedozK said:

I was disappointed at first when I saw that they kept playing hits, but that turned to happiness when I saw the crowd (which was young -- I felt so old at bonnaroo in general at 31 - I was 23 during the 2008 show here) was eating it up, basically turning on a new generation to the band, so that was great to see. Unbelievably powerful versions of Jeremy and Comfortably Numb. As someone mentioned, the early lyric flubs were borderline disastrous, but they overall sounded so tight. Band and crowd in great spirits.

Had a great time. I actually had more fun seeing the young kids get into Alive, Jeremy and Even Flow then I would have hearing a rarity. It sometimes amazes me how someone in the early twenties or teens even know who PJ is.
    ^^This. The young crowd was super into it. Many on the Inforoo boards saying how they went in with no expectations, and came out fans.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II