Should the US institute a ban on assault weapons.

Comments

• DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Yes
    Can anyone explain to me why gun supporters feel like they must compare weed and vehicles to their guns?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2016
    other
    pjhawks said:

PJPOWER said:

pjhawks said:

there will never be a America without guns, the people will never allow it.

Godfather.

this is the narrative of the gun supporters i don't understand. no sane person has ever advocated getting rid of all guns or overturning the 2nd amendment. unfortunately the NRA and other gun groups have convinced many of the gun owners (and some people here) that even one regulation will eventually lead to a full on ban of all guns. it's just non sense rhetoric and some people eat it up. it's sad really considering there is no product in modern times we have done that to. i mean fuck we still let people buy cigarettes in this country.
    So you are saying it is insane to advocate getting rid of all guns or overturning the 2nd Amendment? I fully agree with this statement and hope that those mentioning it throughout this thread get the mental health treatment that they need.
    BTW, didn't we ban marijuana products and the growing of hemp? That still seems to be causing modern dilemmas.
    who has said we should get rid of all guns and overturn the 2nd amendment? i haven't seen talk of that at all. But yes i think anyone who advocates getting rid of all guns in America is not based in reality.

marijuana has been illegal for over 100 years. i wouldn't call that modern times. nice try though.
    100 years? Wasn't the "Marijuana Tax Act of 1937" put into play in 1937? I consider that a relatively recent time in history. It was slowly demonized, then straight up prohibited.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    Yes

Can anyone explain to me why gun supporters feel like they must compare weed and vehicles to their guns?

because those things are the things that actually do the killing.

;)
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Yes
    ridiculous -- When other "Products" have been found to be dangerous steps are taken to prevent more harm. Safety requirements and laws on cars, recreational vehicles, cigs, alcohol, food, water, toys, electronics,...etc etc etc .the list goes on and on.....

Why is it so hard to have the same common sense with firearms?
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

edited July 2016
    Yes

;)

Stupid argument.. We've added thousands upgrades and requirements to cars and forced the auto industry to make changes.. Why can't we do this with gun manufactures? Why do they block technology or laws that would make guns at least a little safer? Greed is the motivating factor, not your freedoms.

Hell its easier to buy a gun in most Red States than it is a single box of 12 hour decongestant cold medicine.
    Post edited by myoung321 on

• Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,857
    https://youtu.be/uLGBoN6eMq0

You do have people out there that are coming up with all sorts of ways of keeping guns out of the wrong hands. Here is a kid who is trying to make a change to keep guns out of the WRONG hands.
    edited July 2016
    Yes
    "Glorified G" is an anti-gun song with lyrics mocking gun enthusiasts.
    The song was inspired by an incident in which drummer Dave Abbruzzese told the band he had just bought two guns which sparked a conversation about guns within the band. Vocalist Eddie Vedder about "Glorified G":

I didn't actually write that song...I was at a band rehearsal and just started writing down these things the guys were talking about. The band were having this conversation and I just took down the dialogue. One of the band members had just bought a gun. It was the drummer, actually. Ask him about it.

Abbruzzese about "Glorified G":

I told our manager that I just bought a coupla guns and he told Jeff, and at rehearsal Jeff kinda blurted it out. And Eddie went, 'Whaaaat, you bought a GUN?' And I said, 'In fact, I bought two,' which ended up as the opening line of the song. I think it's fair to say Eddie was pretty outraged.

Yes
    "Jeremy" is based on two different true stories. The song takes its main inspiration from a newspaper article about a 15-year-old boy named Jeremy Wade Delle from Richardson, Texas who shot himself in front of his teacher and his second period English class of 30 students on the morning of January 8, 1991. In a 2009 interview, Vedder said that he felt "the need to take that small article and make something of it—to give that action, to give it reaction, to give it more importance."

Delle was described by schoolmates as "real quiet" and known for "acting sad." After coming in to class late that morning, Delle was told to get an admittance slip from the school office. He left the classroom, and returned with a .357 Magnum revolver. Delle walked to the front of the classroom, announced "Miss, I got what I really went for", put the barrel of the firearm in his mouth, and pulled the trigger before his teacher or classmates could react. Lisa Moore, a schoolmate, knew Jeremy from the in-school suspension program: "He and I would pass notes back and forth and he would talk about life and stuff," she said. "He signed all of his notes, 'Write back.' But on Monday he wrote, 'Later days.' I didn't know what to make of it. But I never thought this would happen."

When asked about the song, Vedder explained:

It came from a small paragraph in a paper which means you kill yourself and you make a big old sacrifice and try to get your revenge. That all you're gonna end up with is a paragraph in a newspaper. Sixty-four degrees and cloudy in a suburban neighborhood. That's the beginning of the video and that's the same thing in the end; it does nothing … nothing changes. The world goes on and you're gone. The best revenge is to live on and prove yourself. Be stronger than those people. And then you can come back.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    No
    No assault weapons are mentioned in glorified g or jeremy. ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    No
    myoung321 said:

;)

Stupid argument.. We've added thousands upgrades and requirements to cars and forced the auto industry to make changes.. Why can't we do this with gun manufactures? Why do they block technology or laws that would make guns at least a little safer? Greed is the motivating factor, not your freedoms.

Hell its easier to buy a gun in most Red States than it is a single box of 12 hour decongestant cold medicine.
    myoung321 said:

ridiculous -- When other "Products" have been found to be dangerous steps are taken to prevent more harm. Safety requirements and laws on cars, recreational vehicles, cigs, alcohol, food, water, toys, electronics,...etc etc etc .the list goes on and on.....

So what do you propose to make firearms safer?
    mcgruff10 said:

myoung321 said:

;)

myoung321 said:

Check out the video I just posted! For all of those saying that there isn't anyone out there trying to come up with any ideas, look at what some people are out there doing to keep guns out of the wrong hands, and preventing accidental shootings, especially amongst children in firearm households who might think it's a toy.
    No
    Ray J. T. said:

mcgruff10 said:

myoung321 said:

;)

myoung321 said:

Check out the video I just posted! For all of those saying that there isn't anyone out there trying to come up with any ideas, look at what some people are out there doing to keep guns out of the wrong hands, and preventing accidental shootings, especially amongst children in firearm households who might think it's a toy.
    Ray J. T. said:

mcgruff10 said:

myoung321 said:

;)

myoung321 said:

I'll check it out!
    mcgruff10 said:

Ray J. T. said:

mcgruff10 said:

myoung321 said:

;)

myoung321 said:

Ray J. T. said:

mcgruff10 said:

myoung321 said:

;)

myoung321 said:

I'll check it out!
    I think you are going to find it really interesting. But I have seen countless posts on this thread with people saying that there isn't anybody out there proposing some great ideas, when there are a lot of people who are active and coming up with a bunch of new Ideas to promote safety, awareness, and education.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    other
    mcgruff10 said:

myoung321 said:

;)

myoung321 said:

Ban humans from owning them. THEN a gun will be safe.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited July 2016
    Yes
    mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

myoung321 said:

;)

myoung321 said:

Ban humans from owning them. THEN a gun will be safe.
    True.. but there are technologies like fingerprint trigger identification (smart gun) that won't allow the gun to be fired by anyone except the registered owner.. How many kids would that save?

or

Smith & Wesson made a handgun with a grip safety and stated in its marketing materials that “…no ordinary child under eight can possibly discharge it.” of course the NRA killed it..

or

Another technology-touch memory-was used in 1992 by Johns Hopkins University undergraduate engineering students to develop a non-firing prototype of a personalized gun. Touch memory relies on direct contact between a semiconductor chip and a reader on the grip of the gun. A code is stored on the chip, which is placed on a ring worn by the user. The gun will fire only if the reader recognizes the proper code on the chip.

That was 1992!!!!!!!!!!!

The NRA is against any type of advance technology ,,,period

No
    Ray J. T. said:

mcgruff10 said:

myoung321 said:

;)

myoung321 said:

pretty good idea! my problem with all that is you know bad guys will find a way to hack it and somehow disable it. Personally I wouldn't buy it but hopefully lots of people would.
    edited July 2016
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:

Ray J. T. said:

mcgruff10 said:

myoung321 said:

;)

myoung321 said:

pretty good idea! my problem with all that is you know bad guys will find a way to hack it and somehow disable it. Personally I wouldn't buy it but hopefully lots of people would.
    Bad Guys? Most gun violence is not from unknown bad guys, it's someone you know. National Crime numbers make that pretty clear..

in fact - More than five times as many women are murdered by an intimate acquaintance than by a stranger..more than half with guns.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    other
    So kudos to SCOTUS for standing up for the denial of access to DV assholes.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    No
    myoung321 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Ray J. T. said:

mcgruff10 said:

myoung321 said:

;)

myoung321 said:

Bad Guys? Most gun violence is not from unknown bad guys, it's someone you know. National Crime numbers make that pretty clear..

in fact - More than five times as many women are murdered by an intimate acquaintance than by a stranger..more than half with guns.

yeah things get hacked all the time. I'm not one to trust a computer chip in my firearm. Like I said, that' s me. It's funny because here in New jersey we have "smart gun" legislation but all the police departments in new jersey have opted out of it lol. If the police don't trust it I won't either.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Yes
    for the record:

1) I have stated that, in a perfect world, it would be great if no guns were around.
    2) I have stated that the 2nd ammendment is just that, an ammendment, which can be repealed at any time. I have not stated it SHOULD be replealed, but that simply stating "it's in our constitution" does not make any argument whatsoever. it's not the law of gravity. it's man made and can be changed.
    3) I think PJPower makes an excellent point. Think about this: in the 80's, parents were outraged about teen sex. "Abstinence!" they'd all cry. "Don't teach my kid how to do it!" they'd yell. Well, guess what. That didn't fucking work. Give them condoms and at least if they are going to do it, they might do it safely. Empower them with knowledge on the consequences, and they just might not do it at all.

His suggestions have a lot of merit. Just because you are anti-gun (like I am), doesn't make his suggestions baseless.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited July 2016
    Yes
    just had to post this as I thought it was hilarious:

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

just had to post this as I thought it was hilarious:

:lol: it is true though. The knife doesn't cut it by itself.
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    No

just to name a few things that kill more people than guns:
    cancer, obesity, PEOPLE, prescription drugs, medical malpractice.....there is quite a list but anti gun folks don't care about the truth.

Godfather.

• DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Yes

cancer, obesity, PEOPLE, prescription drugs, medical malpractice.....there is quite a list but anti gun folks don't care about the truth.

Godfather.

That doesn't answer the question. But thanks for the effort.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
    Yes

Godfather.

so are you suggesting we outlaw cancer? oh wait, the republicans probably wouldn't allow it anyway. it's my god-given right to die a horrible death as an AMERICAN.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

other

for the record:

1) I have stated that, in a perfect world, it would be great if no guns were around.
    2) I have stated that the 2nd ammendment is just that, an ammendment, which can be repealed at any time. I have not stated it SHOULD be replealed, but that simply stating "it's in our constitution" does not make any argument whatsoever. it's not the law of gravity. it's man made and can be changed.
    3) I think PJPower makes an excellent point. Think about this: in the 80's, parents were outraged about teen sex. "Abstinence!" they'd all cry. "Don't teach my kid how to do it!" they'd yell. Well, guess what. That didn't fucking work. Give them condoms and at least if they are going to do it, they might do it safely. Empower them with knowledge on the consequences, and they just might not do it at all.

His suggestions have a lot of merit. Just because you are anti-gun (like I am), doesn't make his suggestions baseless.

1: I wish it was a fair/perfect world to, but perfection is merely an individual perception and means something different to everyone.
    2: Ratifying an amendment is a major thing and has direct implications on the entire integrity of the other rights that we as Americans hold as inalienable. Should be a very last resort in my opinion.
    3: Thank you for having an open mind and I agree 100%. I love the "empower with knowledge and consequences" part. When I was a counselor, teaching people to consider the consequences of their actions and refrain from negative impulsive behavior was a full time job.
    Yes
    PJPOWER said:

for the record:

1: I wish it was a fair/perfect world to, but perfection is merely an individual perception and means something different to everyone.
    2: Ratifying an amendment is a major thing and has direct implications on the entire integrity of the other rights that we as Americans hold as inalienable. Should be a very last resort in my opinion.
    3: Thank you for having an open mind and I agree 100%. I love the "empower with knowledge and consequences" part. When I was a counselor, teaching people to consider the consequences of their actions and refrain from negative impulsive behavior was a full time job.
    2. I don't consider the second ammendment an inalienable right. that's the problem. so many americans believe that their right to own a gun is a HUMAN RIGHT, which it is not. freedom is. speech is. religion is. clean air and water is. possession of anything (gun, knife, person, gummy bears) is not. that's a right given by the government elected by/for the people. which can be taken away.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

other

PJPOWER said:

for the record:

2. I don't consider the second ammendment an inalienable right. that's the problem. so many americans believe that their right to own a gun is a HUMAN RIGHT, which it is not. freedom is. speech is. religion is. clean air and water is. possession of anything (gun, knife, person, gummy bears) is not. that's a right given by the government elected by/for the people. which can be taken away.
    I guess to me it falls under the freedom part. Freedom to choose how to protect yourself and your family. Being forced to rely on someone else to do that is not freedom at all.
  • Yes
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

for the record:

I guess to me it falls under the freedom part. Freedom to choose how to protect yourself and your family. Being forced to rely on someone else to do that is not freedom at all.
    There has to be limits to what one can employ to protect themselves with. I don't think that is for debate as a line has been drawn and accepted without much resistance (no hand grenades, no bazookas, etc.).

One's idea of freedom cannot trump the safety of others.
    "My brain's a good brain!"