Avett Brothers - True Sadness (New Album)

LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
The new Avett Brothers album was released today. I love it! I swear this band gets better and better with each release. Anyone else check it out yet?
www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
1998: Birmingham
2000: Charlotte, Tampa
2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
2004: Kissimmee
2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
2010: MSG2
2012: Music Midtown
2014: Memphis
2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
2022: Nashville
2023: Ft. Worth II

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Pre-ordered the LP & it should be waiting for me when we get back to Portland tomorrow. Looking forward to it!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    It's on my immediate list of things to do.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Nice! Will listen tomorrow.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 270
    You Are Mine is a nice departure from their original sound. Loving the record.
    First listen - it's alright. Nothing really grabs me yet. When I picked up their last one I found myself mostly listening to the demos of the album songs they included. I think they included the whole album before it hit the studio sheen and polish.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    I will be listening to it very soon.
    Yep, I think they might be losing me. Dangit, sometimes that happens with bands for me. Still a great live act. Will remember seeing them before they hit the big time.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 460
    Great run of shows at the Capitol Theatre Port Chester.....first night was full run thru of True Sadness ( which kind of killed the crowd), missed Friday night, but Saturday night was a tremendous show.  One of the best live bands out there

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • tweedyfanjentweedyfanjen Posts: 881
    Yep, I think they might be losing me. Dangit, sometimes that happens with bands for me. Still a great live act. Will remember seeing them before they hit the big time.
    Same here and I've seen them live about 20 times in the past 5 years or so. I'm still planning on seeing them in October banking on the fact they'll play a lot of songs from the earlier albums. I just can't with the latest release. If you go back and listen to something like Four Thieves Gone and then this one you'll wonder how they got to the point of being so overproduced. 
    I'm through with screaming
  • THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    The latest album is quite different compared to the earlier albums. I've seen them when there was only Scott, Seth and Bob. I've also seen them with the extra instruments/musicians. I can honestly say that I have never walked away from a show disappointed! These guys are one of the best live bands right now, despite the last album. I feel that they do a great job of mixing in some older songs with the new ones during their shows! They have enough material to switch up the set list which is always a bonus with me. 
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    I'm seeing these guys on Friday night.  Pretty excited.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,291
    I'm seeing them on October 7, can't wait
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    LukinFan said:
    I'm seeing these guys on Friday night.  Pretty excited.
    Have a great time!
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Didn't know where else to put this. Sounds like a cool film.

http://ew.com/music/2017/09/11/avett-brothers-heavy-metal-documentary-clip/
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Has anyone caught May It Last, yet? I had a ticket for the September 12 show and then the tropical storm hit and life got in the way. Thankfully they have added other showings so I get to see it tonight in Asheville. 
    Has anyone caught May It Last, yet? I had a ticket for the September 12 show and then the tropical storm hit and life got in the way. Thankfully they have added other showings so I get to see it tonight in Asheville. 
    Same thing happened to me.  I need to look to see if they rescheduled it.  I'm assuming it will be released as a DVD at some point too?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Anyone going to the Cedar Rapids show next Friday?
  • LukinFan said:
    Has anyone caught May It Last, yet? I had a ticket for the September 12 show and then the tropical storm hit and life got in the way. Thankfully they have added other showings so I get to see it tonight in Asheville. 
    Same thing happened to me.  I need to look to see if they rescheduled it.  I'm assuming it will be released as a DVD at some point too?
    It's supposed to be on HBO sometime in January. I haven't heard anything about a dvd yet. The movie is so amazing. I can't wait to see it again!
  • LukinFan said:
    It's supposed to be on HBO sometime in January. I haven't heard anything about a dvd yet. The movie is so amazing. I can't wait to see it again!
    I really enjoyed the documentary too.  For some reason this last album took me a little longer to get into than some of their others, but after seeing one live show on this last tour, and this movie, I am pretty addicted to it again.  Love that this and Let's Play Two coming out so close together.
    No time to be void or save up on life, you gotta spend it all.
  • LukinFan said:
    I really enjoyed the documentary too.  For some reason this last album took me a little longer to get into than some of their others, but after seeing one live show on this last tour, and this movie, I am pretty addicted to it again.  Love that this and Let's Play Two coming out so close together.
    I still haven't listened to the album all the way through but yes, seeing their thought processes during the song writing and recording gave me a new appreciation for it. 
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Sometimes when I listen to these guys it’s like a neverending childs lullaby or kids song. 

Definitely not music I am always in the mood for during the day. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Co-headlining with gov mule and hitting my area. Can’t wait
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    LukinFan said:
    The doc totally gave me a new appreciation for the album, as well. I was slow to get into it. Caught a show just before the album release (MSG 2016) and just after (Coney Island 2016), listened the album a few times through, and even saw them play the album in it's entirety last year at the first Capitol Theatre show of a 3-night stand. Still wasn't hitting me like previous albums. Then, after seeing the doc, whole new appreciation. It's grown on me quite a bit, and have been enjoying it since.

Man I friggin love Avett. Always an amazing show. And they tour far and wide, always seemingly in a new place. Of course, the varied setlist keeps things exciting. I can't wait til I see them again!

Co-headlining with gov mule and hitting my area. Can’t wait
    Definitely picking up a ticket for the MI amphitheater show. My bf is a big fan as well, and we've probably seen the band at least 15 times between the two of us, but have never seen them together. I think this is finally the year!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Sometimes when I listen to these guys it’s like a neverending childs lullaby or kids song. 

Definitely not music I am always in the mood for during the day. 
    You're listening to the wrong songs/albums. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    As soon as I hear a banjo I just want to throw myself out a window
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Then don't listen to banjos?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65pol8rsDyQ

New song from Seth Meyers the other night.  Anyone here anything about a new album?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com