These are the band's, right?

Comments

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,972
    I think so.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    If you are asking whether Pearl Jam owns the PA system they use on tour, I very much doubt it. Bands used to own their own systems, but that hasn't been the case for decades. Most bands now just contract with a PA company to provide the gear for their tours.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124

If you are asking whether Pearl Jam owns the PA system they use on tour, I very much doubt it. Bands used to own their own systems, but that hasn't been the case for decades. Most bands now just contract with a PA company to provide the gear for their tours.

but they're not the venues speakers, right?

So Pearl Jam doesn't take those speakers from Philly to MSG but instead has a similar setup in MSG? I guess I'll ask google too. haha

• Options
    Also, admire my quality photo
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,972
    I'm pretty sure PJ hauls the PA gear from show to show. I don't know if they actually own the equipment or if they lease it, though.

If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    The band hires a company to do a tour. So they will take the speakers from venue to venue, and then they go back to the PA company at the end of the tour. While most venues have speaker systems, they are usually configured for things like basketball games, so not appropriate for concerts. That is likely a million-dollar speaker system (each of those boxes is somewhere in the $2k-6k range) and will likely be considered second-tier gear after three to five years on the road, so a sound company has to keep those speakers moving if they want to make money. And a band like PJ, even if they tour a bunch, just can't get that kind of value out of a system.
  • Options
    thanks. the best seats are those that get a direct blast from one of those
  • Options
    l've been pretty impressed by the quality of the system technicians that Pearl Jam uses, and their front-of-house mix engineer is really solid. They do a great job of making sure it sounds good everywhere in the room. I've been at shows with terrible sound (I'm looking at you, Foo Fighters 2008) and I really appreciate how much the technicians work on covering these venues, even 360-degree shows where they literally cover audience members in every direction. I'd love to know what system they are travelling with this year; they had an L'Acoustic K1 rig the last time around.
  • Options
    goosefuzzgoosefuzz Posts: 40
    edited June 2016
    Here's a nice article on how line arrays work for the technically minded. :)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar06/articles/live_linearrays.htm
    Adelaide '03, '06 x2, '09 and EV Solo x2 '11. New York '16 MSG2.
  • Options

Here's a nice article on how line arrays work for the technically minded. :)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar06/articles/live_linearrays.htm

I love this article and have been savoring it. I'm not exactly technically-minded, but I'm following what he is saying, and am enjoying the shit out of it. it's not going over my head, nor is the sound HA!...thank you!