SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
Pearl Jam
Bonnaroo
Manchester, TN
June 11, 2016

Pearl Jam set delayed because of weather
Band Onstage:11:37
Band Offstage: 1:40

(Ed asks the audience if it is past their bedtime)
01. Go
02. Save You
03. Corduroy
(during the intro Ed says “let’s hear it for Macklemore and LCD sound system.” He tells the audience he is happy to be here and that they can play.)
04. Lightning Bolt
05. Given To Fly
06. Nothingman
(“before we play the next song I want to talk about one of the candidates that wants to build a wall.” He points all of the ridiculous, insulting, expensive, bigoted and impossible implications of building such a wall. He offers to give money to build a wall around the unnamed candidate with a viewing port so the candidate could see the obscene gesture Ed would like to show them.)
07. Mind Your Manners
08. Even Flow
09. Wishlist (for Nathan and Jessie [sp] who met ten years ago today in this very spot)
(Ed introduces the next by “the great Joe Strummer”. He talks about Joe’s fondness of festival culture in Europe. Ed notes that Bonnaroo is maybe the first US festival that feels like one of those Euro festivals in it’s positivity.)
10. Arms Aloft In Aberdeen-(Bullen, Shields, Slattery, Stafford, Strummer)
(Ed talks about the transgender bill that was rejected but notes that Representative Susan Lynn has promised to bring it up again. He directs his comments to Rep. Lynn and implores her to join those people who are looking forward to a future rather than continue the bigotry of the past. He lets Rep. Lynn know that she can break her promise to bring back the legislation and live in a future with tolerance.)
11. Daughter
(“Happy Birthday Jeremy”)
12. Jeremy
13. Why Go
14. Porch

Encore Break One

Ed compliments the audience on taking care of each other

15. Oceans
(Ed asks Bonnaroo to do him a favor for someone that means the world to him. “See I got a birthday cake for a girl but I didn’t get any candles. If you light up your phones you could be the candles and when she blows them out you could turn them off. The birthday girl turns out to be Ed and Jill’s daughter Olivia. The audience sings her Happy Birthday and acts as her candles)
16. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
(“This one goes out a guy named Mickey Hart” (almost certainly a reference to the Grateful Dead drummer. The Dead And Friends are playing Bonnaroo the night after Pearl Jam)
17. Comfortably Numb-(Gilmour, Waters) { Ed plays piano on Boom’s riser. Ed thanks Roger Waters for letting them borrow the song on a special night. }
18. Do The Evolution
19. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)
(We have a friend here who has made many records with us)
20. Black w/ Brendan O’Brien playing piano
21. Alive
22. Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

Thanks John for the set list & notes.
Tagged:

Comments

• BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,839
    Shame about the delay, hopefully it didn't impact the set too much, and more importantly everyone is ok.

Lots of hits as may be expected, however when you read the show 'notes' it helps put song selection into context.

Will look forward to hearing about the show from people who were there!

Looking forward to Pemberton and Telluride in a month.
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • HanquanHanquan Indiana Posts: 6
    One of the greatest nights of my life! I was standing two feet from Mike when he came to the audience for his solo on even flow. Comfortably numb was fantastic as well. Crowd was incredible, wasn't too loud, and the setlist was great. Thank you PJ
    Lexington 4/26/16
    Manchester 6/11/16
  • Hubmann2513Hubmann2513 Posts: 237
    Tonight was my 7th show! I can't believe I've been lucky enough to see the guys so many times. Though last bonnaroo had a lot of deep cuts, I figured that was the exception rather than the rule, and went into this one expecting a more traditional festival set. It definitely was heavy on the hits, but really it needed to be. A whole of people in the area just behind the pit we're seeing pj for the first time and they really seemed to enjoy it. It made me have a new appreciation for why they play hits at festivals.

That being said, they played oceans!! I never thought I would hear that one live, especially tonight. It made my night.

Overall I enjoyed the show and the bonnaroo experience. Yes, there were mistakes during the show (including a hilariously rough version of save you.) but you can never take a show for granted. Every experience is great, and this one was no exception!
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,839

Tonight was my 7th show! I can't believe I've been lucky enough to see the guys so many times. Though last bonnaroo had a lot of deep cuts, I figured that was the exception rather than the rule, and went into this one expecting a more traditional festival set. It definitely was heavy on the hits, but really it needed to be. A whole of people in the area just behind the pit we're seeing pj for the first time and they really seemed to enjoy it. It made me have a new appreciation for why they play hits at festivals.

That being said, they played oceans!! I never thought I would hear that one live, especially tonight. It made my night.

Overall I enjoyed the show and the bonnaroo experience. Yes, there were mistakes during the show (including a hilariously rough version of save you.) but you can never take a show for granted. Every experience is great, and this one was no exception!

Hopefully it wasn't Satans Bed @ State College 03 'hilarious' haha!
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Wow. Only 22 songs? Looks like a great setlist though. How much did the weather impact the show length? In 2008 it was a 3 hour full show
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    cool setlist! glad to hear everyone is a ok.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • socalstylesocalstyle Columbus, OH Posts: 40
    No Jack White? Didn't he promise to play since PJ played the blue room at 3rd Man? Waiting to see if Jack shows up at Wrigley.
    03 - Irvine
    10 - Columbus
    13 - Pittsburgh
    16 - Lexington, Chicago 2
    18 - Seattle 2, Missoula, Boston 1
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,375
    Looks like a great show. Glad you guys had a blast. :smiley:
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748

No Jack White? Didn't he promise to play since PJ played the blue room at 3rd Man? Waiting to see if Jack shows up at Wrigley.

Yeah, but with two hours and lots of tags...those tags add a lot of time. And you know Free World and Alive were most likely longer versions.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    did a lot of people stay for pjs set? approx size of the crowd?
  • RM211166RM211166 Austin, TX Posts: 126
    Was bummed they didn't play longer. Finally heard Oceans some 40+ shows later.
    --The time you enjoyed wasting was not a waste of time--
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited June 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

About this big...

mcgruff10 said:

About this big...

holy shit!!!!! thanks for the photo bud.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

About this big...

holy shit!!!!! thanks for the photo bud.
    Not mine but no problem. Here's the original tweet it came from.

• LiftedLifted Posts: 1,583
    Have a feeling this wouldve been an hour longer if it weren't for the delay. Who knows....for what it was though, and working within 2 hours, excellent setlist. No fat. Wasn't there, but im sure it played out great. Pretty high energy song selection.
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,825
    I was disappointed at first when I saw that they kept playing hits, but that turned to happiness when I saw the crowd (which was young -- I felt so old at bonnaroo in general at 31 - I was 23 during the 2008 show here) was eating it up, basically turning on a new generation to the band, so that was great to see. Unbelievably powerful versions of Jeremy and Comfortably Numb. As someone mentioned, the early lyric flubs were borderline disastrous, but they overall sounded so tight. Band and crowd in great spirits.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Reminds me of the Gdynia festival setlist. Bet nobody was getting trampled here though which is a good thing.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    You can listen to Pearl Jam's Bonnaroo set right now on SiriusXM The Spectrum Channel 28. :)
    demetrios said:

You can listen to Pearl Jam's Bonnaroo set right now on SiriusXM The Spectrum Channel 28. :)

Sounds pretty good so far
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

I was disappointed at first when I saw that they kept playing hits, but that turned to happiness when I saw the crowd (which was young -- I felt so old at bonnaroo in general at 31 - I was 23 during the 2008 show here) was eating it up, basically turning on a new generation to the band, so that was great to see. Unbelievably powerful versions of Jeremy and Comfortably Numb. As someone mentioned, the early lyric flubs were borderline disastrous, but they overall sounded so tight. Band and crowd in great spirits.

Had a great time. I actually had more fun seeing the young kids get into Alive, Jeremy and Even Flow then I would have hearing a rarity. It sometimes amazes me how someone in the early twenties or teens even know who PJ is.
    Thoughts on Arms Aloft?
    Central Park 15

• RM211166RM211166 Austin, TX Posts: 126
    Arms Aloft was a highlight for sure
    --The time you enjoyed wasting was not a waste of time--
    I thought the song sounded pretty good. Did anybody in the crowd actually know the song?
    Central Park 15

• PearlybakerPearlybaker Posts: 207
    Just heard Black on Sirius - Mike pretty much ripped it up. Very nice.
    "Hey, listen asshole, one more fucker throws a fuckin' quarter up here and we're outta here, I'm tellin' ya, FUCKER! What the fuck, you're blowin' it for fuckin' everybody. Hit me with a fuckin' quarter again and, fuck it, I'm outta here. We're all outta here. Fuck you, and if anyone sees someone throw fuckin' change right next to them, you have my permission to beat the fuckin' holy shit outta them."
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    Young crowd. Delay. Probable shortened set.

That's the perfect setlist if you ask me
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    The mix of this show on Sirius sounds outstanding. Best sound quality and mix so far this year. Ed's voice is strong and out front instead of buried and the rest of the band is blends well.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Was there, on rail behind pit.
    Setlist reads a bit different on paper than it was played.

They came out swinging, and played what felt really fast which was what I think the crowd needed and gave an energy to their hits that I haven't felt in the 3 previous festival gigs I've seen them at.

Overall a strong rock your face off front to back set perfect for a fest with people all around me who had never seen them.

One thing I'll note that was apparent after seeing a lot of acts, PJ'S sound and video crew are top notch. The sound was great, the video was excellent and engaging, purposeful and additive not just there to fill a screen.
    Dallas '03, ACL '09, PJ20, Lollapalooza Brazil '13, Wrigley '13, Dallas '13, ACL '14, Milwaukee '14, Bonnaroo '16, Wrigley '16, Nashville '22
  • eloist2eloist2 Posts: 15
    It was a seriously high energy show.
    Even Flow and Comfortably Numb were my highlights. Mike was a mad man.

My brother snuck behind the vendors trucks on stage left and lit a pretty big fireworks display during Comfortably Numb. Eddie thanked him for it after the song. It was awesome haha!

Not my favorite PJ show (that would be Amsterdam night 1 2012) but definitely glad I popped down to manchester for the night to catch the boys.
  • yungaveyungave Posts: 14
    Cool show. Obviously I would've liked it longer and deeper, but as has been said, it was thousands of kids' first PJ show and a great introduction to arguably the greatest live band currently touring. I heard quite a few youngsters (I'm 53) the next day at various shows talking about it. If just eavesdrop and then pose a few questions. 100% of them dug it. More obscure songs might've thrown them off.

Overall, I'm glad I made the trek from San Diego.

PS: if anyone got an XL PJ Bonnaroo shirt who wants to trade for an L ...
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    30th pearl jam show, 10th bonnaroo (since 2004).

welp, this was the type of set i expected in 2008. i didn't think it'd happen this time around. alas. while i'd have been pretty disappointed if i went to roo just for this set, still had a blast in this particular setting. ed flubbed lyrics all over the place, especially at the beginning, but the band was pretty much high energy throughout the night. there were some points where it seemed ed wasn't getting the crowd response he wanted/anticipated, but from every on-site and online opinion i've seen and heard, a lot of people were really happy with the show and had high praise for it. they probably made some new fans this weekend.

the main highlight for me was 'comfortably numb'. my favorite song of all time, played by one of my favorite bands, at my favorite place on this earth. it really was all i was hoping for, and it was a joyful experience.