Options

PJ's musical moments of brilliance!!

inmyNCinmyNC amongst many Posts: 243
To the musicians and those of us who sit back and play along with PJ's recordings... Have you ever caught those moments of brilliance like a certain chord change or tempo change that made you respect their musicianship even more.. A drum beat, a certain guitar tone, an impressive bass line, or Boom on the keys..

Comments

• Options
    I'll start off with one moment I love ... In the song "Faithful" between the first and second chorus there's a jam and the chord change approx 2:20mins into the song .. Just before Eddie sings " and echoes" ...brilliant change
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited May 2016
    Have you tried listening to that part with a nice pair of headphones?, amazing.
    There are too many to list but recently I am really digging in LB when after he says ....die with you, yeah, yeah.
    The riff changes and opens up the organs to a take off good feeling.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Have you tried listening to that part with a nice pair of headphones?, amazing.
    There are too many to list but recently I am really digging in LB when after he says ....die with you, yeah, yeah.
    The riff changes and opens up the organs to a take off good feeling.

Just listened to " Lightning Bolt" ...You are right ..A slight tempo change and it totally opens up at that point of the song.. Great song...
  • Options
    ^^^
    And there are plenty more to discover.
    To this day I still find new sounds in the songs - especially w/ headphones.
    Brain is wide, brain is deep - Pearl Jam sinks in.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Here's another... "All or None""
    Its starts with a very simple dragging style strum on an acoustic. Ed's sings very dismal setting the tone... But two parts of that song Mike lays out solo with a guitar tone that sounds like what a persons soul would sound like while crying... That combination of distortion and I think a slight wah really stands out... Beautiful tone
    Post edited by inmyNC on
  • Options
    xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    There are so many moments, especially on a personal level when the music just fits whatever emotion I'm in. During the live version of "Dock of the Bay", the last chord (played by Steve Cropper) always gets me. The single note McCready plays, in Nothing as it Seems, (before the solo) also gives me chills. There is a fill in Unemployable, that McCready plays, that I absolutely love (First appearing at 1:07).
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    edited May 2016
    In Go, I love how the chorus goes from the bass-line to Bb the first time, and then Bb to the bass-line the second time.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options

There are so many moments, especially on a personal level when the music just fits whatever emotion I'm in. During the live version of "Dock of the Bay", the last chord (played by Steve Cropper) always gets me. The single note McCready plays, in Nothing as it Seems, (before the solo) also gives me chills. There is a fill in Unemployable, that McCready plays, that I absolutely love (First appearing at 1:07).

That single note before the solo in "Nothing as it Seems" is definite genius!!! Followed by another solo with an amazing guitar tone..
  • Options
    The bass line punch from In My Tree after
    I remember when....
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    the best A to C EVER.....

"and the sun is setting, the sun will rise again some day"
  • Options
    "Immortality" the solo starting with an acoustic building into a heavy wall of distortion.. That gets my head in the clouds!!
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007

The bass line punch from In My Tree after
    I remember when....

That Octave he Throws in is cool...
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,654
    The finger picking lines with the slightly phased DADGAD tuned guitar on Given to Fly, the beginning of Black when the bass comes in after the guitar intro that sounds a little bit like its "underwater"
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    Even Flow...nice funky riff...
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:

I have always struggled trying to play "Even Flow" on guitar.. There are countless ways to play it. I've got a jaguar bass . I tend to sit the guitar down and pick up the bass on that song!! Such a great song to play bass along with.
  • Options
    inmyNC said:

i_lov_it said:

I have always struggled trying to play "Even Flow" on guitar.. There are countless ways to play it. I've got a jaguar bass . I tend to sit the guitar down and pick up the bass on that song!! Such a great song to play bass along with.
    Yeah exactly just a nice song to play along too on the Bass...I use a Fretless as well...and also Nice Bass..
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2016
    After he says, "Turns to sand" there is only one sound to be heard. (use headphones)
    What is the instrument that makes that sound at 2:40-2:42
    Amazing fit.
  • Options
    xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759

After he says, "Turns to sand" there is only one sound to be heard. (use headphones)
    What is the instrument that makes that sound at 2:40-2:42
    Amazing fit.

The digitech Hyper-Phase pedal can achieve this effect (on the step setting)
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy