*** New York, NY Fanviews Here 5/1/16 ***

Comments

• crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    I wouldn't mind getting one but I think people lose focus of the performance because they are just eyeballing the tambourines the whole time.
    nycrats said:

mcgruff10 said:

and to the asshole wearing yellow who stole the tambourine from the lady ....Karma is a bitch you fucking douche!
    and who stands in front of a guy who is in a wheelchair?
    by the way, mccready is on a new level. he is INSANE!!!!! the dude is playing is ass off.

Pretty sure Eddie threw the tambourine to the guy wearing yellow because of the sign he was holding he just can't catch to save his life. Just like everyone else, if the guy /gal was pointed out like that, they should get tambourine even if they fumbled. I think it was one of those that just looked bad from afar
    why do people care SO much about a tambourine? you know the only reason i look out for one? because it looks like it would be fun to catch as a sport.. then i would turn around ad give it to a kid, but thats if it was thrown right at me.. if the dude points at someone and says "you- yes you.. ready?" and 11 people try to grab it for themselves thats weak sauce
    On night 2 Eddie told a guy in GA "give it to the kid, you fuck" then smiled like he was joking but Im sure he was really pissed and just caught himself.
  • southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988

LB233944 said:

As you can see, I don't post often, and it's taken me a couple of days to process, and now I'd like to share my thoughts about my time in New York. I'm such a lucky person, I have a wonderful husband of almost 34 years, two great sons, and a lovely daughter-in-law. They have indulged my passion for the band and to varying degrees, are fans and concert attendees. My oldest son, Andy, is as infected as me, and is my favorite concert buddy. We both won lottery tickets for night one, and thanks to Chris from New Jersey, we were able to trade one pair for night two, so it was on! Coming to New York City from Boulder (I know, a lucky girl) was terrific. Two full days of playing tourist, running into the shit show of a Donald Trump sighting on 5th avenue (just my opinion), finding kind helpful locals willing to help us navigate the city was just the beginning.
    Spending Sunday on line for GA and meeting such great people, Abul, Manny, Kimmy and the super sweet couple from Holland made the time fly by. On the rail Stone's side, and who doesn't love Stone, checking out a-listers who were really into the show, and then finally, Andy tossing his Montana Griz hat (he's a UM grad) to Jeff, seeing him say "for me", and "hey it fits" is something I'll never forget! Having Jeff return the hat with a sweatband folded into it was such a treat. Now, cut to Monday and being in 119, it was amazing - I've never been in a more energized place. Seeing Abul on the mike during Evenflow was outstanding. So much fun to make these connections with people from all over. Thank you Pearl Jam for being the soundtrack to our family. Thank you 10 Club for the random drawing. Thanks to Andy, my sweet boy for indulging his mom with what was truly a bucket list event for us. Thanks to you for letting me wax on about this. Bring on Telluride and Wrigley! Can't wait!
    Laura

Wow what a lovely story! Makes me feel better. I applied only for MSG shows. Didn't get either. Well done. That's what makes this band so special.

rustedsigns
  • southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    LB233944 said:

As you can see, I don't post often, and it's taken me a couple of days to process, and now I'd like to share my thoughts about my time in New York. I'm such a lucky person, I have a wonderful husband of almost 34 years, two great sons, and a lovely daughter-in-law. They have indulged my passion for the band and to varying degrees, are fans and concert attendees. My oldest son, Andy, is as infected as me, and is my favorite concert buddy. We both won lottery tickets for night one, and thanks to Chris from New Jersey, we were able to trade one pair for night two, so it was on! Coming to New York City from Boulder (I know, a lucky girl) was terrific. Two full days of playing tourist, running into the shit show of a Donald Trump sighting on 5th avenue (just my opinion), finding kind helpful locals willing to help us navigate the city was just the beginning.
    Spending Sunday on line for GA and meeting such great people, Abul, Manny, Kimmy and the super sweet couple from Holland made the time fly by. On the rail Stone's side, and who doesn't love Stone, checking out a-listers who were really into the show, and then finally, Andy tossing his Montana Griz hat (he's a UM grad) to Jeff, seeing him say "for me", and "hey it fits" is something I'll never forget! Having Jeff return the hat with a sweatband folded into it was such a treat. Now, cut to Monday and being in 119, it was amazing - I've never been in a more energized place. Seeing Abul on the mike during Evenflow was outstanding. So much fun to make these connections with people from all over. Thank you Pearl Jam for being the soundtrack to our family. Thank you 10 Club for the random drawing. Thanks to Andy, my sweet boy for indulging his mom with what was truly a bucket list event for us. Thanks to you for letting me wax on about this. Bring on Telluride and Wrigley! Can't wait!
    Laura

Wow what a lovely story! Makes me feel better. I applied only for MSG shows. Didn't get either. Well done. That's what makes this band so special.
    rustedsigns
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052

LB233944 said:

Laura

That's a tremendous story. Ten years ago around this time is when I started paying attention more to going to shows and I met one of my best friends just by standing outside the Letterman taping trying unsucessfully to get in.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • robhrubalarobhrubala Posts: 51
    Just starting to come down from my first trip to MSG...and what was an incredible two weeks, starting in Greenville, followed by Columbia and MSG.

Each show was very special to me for different reasons. Greenville was my second PJ concert, and the anticipation level was off the chart! The energy level in the building was awesome, and the guys seemed to be having a blast, too. Getting Vs. was obviously an unexpected bonus. Columbia was special because I was able to take my two daughters. We already had two GA tickets, and were able to buy a third from someone in the GA line just 20 minutes before the doors opened. It was such an incredible experience being in the pit. And to be able to do that with my daughters, created memories for all three of us! It was a blast!

Which brings me to New York. My girlfriend called me the Wednesday before the show and said she thought she had two for either MSG1 or 2, but, she wouldn't know until Friday. Because of work, I could only make MSG1. So, I booked a flight that Wednesday and crossed my fingers. As luck would have it, she was able to get MSG2. So, we immediately began working to trade for MSG1. Turns out, that was probably the hardest ticket to get this tour. Fortunately, we met three guys from Chicago, who had extras for Sunday, but needed Monday. Thanks Josh for the trade!

Side note: while talking to folks in the Ten Club ticket pick-up line, I saw a guy in a Steelers jacket drop his GA wristbands. I ran over and picked them up, and realized he'd also dropped the GA tickets too. Before I could snag them, a security guard grabbed them. I told the guard what had happened, and he said unless I could get him to come back to the guard to claim them, he'd have to keep them (SMH). So, I went around the corner to the merch line and found the guy in the Steelers jacket. I showed him the wristbands and explained that he'd dropped them and the tickets. He couldn't believe it...said he owed me a beer! We went over to the guard and he got the tickets back. Maybe it was karma, but when Josh from Chicago saw what I had done, he decided to make the trade.

On to the show...wow...just wow! Pearl Jam playing MSG. I couldn't help but think that this show was going to deliver. The crowd would be on fire. The history of the venue mattered. The place was packed and juiced up. I thoroughly enjoyed the setlist. Starting off with Go was like a left upper cut to the jaw...immediately got your attention and got everyone rockin'. Finishing with Indifference was incredibly strong, powerful, and moving. In between those two, it was like a 3 hour sing along...as Ed likes to say "good singin'". We were in the 200's but, everyone in our section was standing and participating.

A few take-aways...that was an incredible two week period for me as a Pearl Jam fanatic. I can't imagine what it must take to perform like these guys do night after night...and at such a high level. I have the utmost respect for them. Kudos to the Pearl Jam community...for the most part, everyone seems to be there to have a really great time, enjoy the best band ever, and look out for each other. The End.

2013 Charlotte, 2016 Greenville, 2016 Columbia, 2016 MSG1, 2018 Barcelona, 2018 Seattle2

• THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,650
    Great show, go, hail hail, in hiding, rats, down, whipping, crown, taking it to the streets, the end, off he goes, low light, release, I got Id, footsteps, indifference. Solid show, Eddie sounded great and it was loud in there.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mcgruff10 said:

nicknyr15 said:

Following this tour has me fuckin wiped out. Especially that I had to work the day after every show (besides Hampton).
    Do I have anything left for tonight?
    Does pj have any more tricks up their sleeves ?
    Can MSG bring it AGAIN tonight?

I guess we'll see

I'm the same way. I am freaking tired as hell at work right now. I'm about to teach the Kennedy assassination to 8th graders all day. It's gonna be a long one.
    You gonna teach them the truth, or give them the "official" version? Lol
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I just realized this was my 40th show
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited May 2016
    my2hands said:

mcgruff10 said:

nicknyr15 said:

Following this tour has me fuckin wiped out. Especially that I had to work the day after every show (besides Hampton).
    Do I have anything left for tonight?
    Does pj have any more tricks up their sleeves ?
    Can MSG bring it AGAIN tonight?

I guess we'll see

I'm the same way. I am freaking tired as hell at work right now. I'm about to teach the Kennedy assassination to 8th graders all day. It's gonna be a long one.
    You gonna teach them the truth, or give them the "official" version? Lol
    I teach the "official" version. then they look up conspiracy theories and make their own decision.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • susannjsusannj Posts: 646
    Such a great show even without fan club tickets... Still can't believe that I finally saw Release for the first time... So amazing!! I posted several videos on you tube if anyone is interested... Love Pearl Jam and love the fans!!! You guys rock!!! My youtube channel is susannj100 :)
    -See the waves on distant shores, awaiting your arrival...

Stanhope, New Jersey 08-12-1992
    Randall's Island, New York 09-28-1996
    E. Rutherford, New Jersey 09-08-1998
    Wantagh, New York 08-24-2000
    New York, New York 07-09-2003
    E. Rutherford, New Jersey 06-03-2006
    New York, New York 05-21-2010
    Brooklyn, New York 10-19-2013
    New York, New York 05-01-2016
    New York, New York 09-11-2022
  • JF157715JF157715 Posts: 40
    After scoring tickets to the second MSG show through the 10C drawing and booking my flight from Chicago on the Bucket List Express to arrive the day before, I decided I couldn’t stand the thought of being in a town where PJ was playing and not being at the show. So I broke down and bought a fairly reasonable single on StubHub (at least to the extent that you can use “reasonable” and “StubHub” in the same sentence) and went to the Sunday show as well. Definitely one of my best ever concert-going decisions.

What a wonderful show this was! The band hit the stage with a very energetic “Go” and never let up the intensity for the rest of the night. The main set was excellent and was highlighted by, well, virtually all of it. Playing five Yield songs is certainly good way to win me over and “Lowlight”, “In Hiding” and “DTE” were all especially fine. It was strange but cool to hear “Release” in the middle of the set instead of as an opener. It worked just fine there. In the encores, the sequence of “Off He Goes”, “Footsteps” and “Chloe/Crown” in the first encore was absolutely killer, as was the “Black”, “Alive” and “Free World” string in encore #2. About the only thing that fell a little flat for me was the closing “Indifference”. I might have been subconsciously (and unfairly) comparing it to 2010 and found it a bit wanting. But that’s a minor complaint. Overall, this one was spectacular. Can’t wait for the boot.

And at the risk of beating a dead horse, Mike was flat out bewildering tonight. Rockers, slow songs…it didn’t matter. He was just on. His solo in “Black” was absolutely mind blowing and he could easily have coasted right through the remaining 3 songs and still left everyone happy. Did he? Nope. Instead he stepped it up a notch during a ferocious “Alive” by - without missing a note - running a lap around the pit and then bounding straight upstairs to the top of the 100 section, causing the entire Garden to lose its collective mind, his bandmates included. I know he does that kind of thing semi-regularly, but Lord it was exhilarating! Two hours and 45 minutes into a 3 hour show and he’s still bouncing off the walls. How can you not love a guy who appreciates his job and his audience that much? “Don’t it make you smile?” Yes, it sure as hell does. Thank you, Mike.

Finally, to chime in on a topic that comes up every so often around here, my seat this evening was behind the stage, four rows up, straight behind Jeff and enabling me to look at an angle over Matt’s right shoulder. The sound was great and the perspective was very interesting. Needless to say you see a lot of things you don’t get to see when you’re out front, both before and during the show. I’ve been behind the stage, lower level (though not this close) at a couple of Bruce Springsteen shows and had pretty good experiences there, as well. It’s probably not as good as being in front or on the side of the stage at the 200 level or below, and I’m guessing that things get a little dicey behind the stage once you get up to the 300 level, but if you can score fairly lower level seats behind the stage, don’t be afraid to grab them. It’s a very unique and rewarding experience.
    2003 - Chicago (6/18 - United Center)
    2006 - Chicago 1 (5/16 - United Center), Chicago 2 (5/17 - United Center)
    2009 - Chicago 1 (8/23 - United Center), Chicago 2 (8/24 - United Center)
    2013 - Chicago (7/19 - Wrigley Field)
    2014 - Moline (10/17 - iWireless Center), Milwaukee (10/20 - Bradley Arena)
    2016 - New York City 1 (5/1 - MSG), New York City 2 (5/2 - MSG), Chicago 1 (8/20 - Wrigley Field), Chicago 2 (8/22 - Wrigley Field)
    2018 - Chicago 1 (8/18 - Wrigley Field), Chicago 2 (8/20 - Wrigley Field)
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    edited May 2016

Can't take the photo credit but the nice guy jammin next to me took this pic of Mike playing the even flow solo behind his head while standing on the rail. His elbow nearly knocked me on the head. :smiley:
    Post edited by shetellsherself on
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 834
    Mike's solo in Black brought me to tears... That is a very rare event I gotta say. Absolutely fucking mind blowing. My 25th show on Sunday and I am never not amazed by the intensity, musicianship and wonderful atmosphere at every show..
    Was lucky to be in 115 4 seats in so pretty close when he came steaming up the stairs next song in...
    Release, Hail Hail , In Hiding , Crown , the album opening of Go...

Superb show. Loved it.
  • mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    Re-listening/watching 'Go' and holy shit, that's an awesome version.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • redsoxfan72redsoxfan72 North Jersey Posts: 3
    First time in the nosebleeds of the new MSG for the 5/1 show and thoroughly loved the show. Crowd energy was tremendous and the band brought even more energy than we did. Hoping to get the bootleg so I can hear Eddie's vocals, which were drowned out by a chorus of thousands. "Alive" into "Rockin' in the Free World" was powerful, and loved hearing "In Hiding." Lot of humor and fun. Can't wait to see them at Fenway!
  • pjandtheopjandtheo Brooklyn NY Posts: 3
    10th show. and first set was the best ive seen. looking forward to 2 at fenway
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    I wrote a piece on AXS for the NY dates, so feel free to enjoy if you'd like.

http://www.examiner.com/article/pearl-jam-throws-a-garden-party-new-york-city
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    good work Dustin
  • adamg5adamg5 Posts: 774
    This show was amazing just had to throw that out there again.
    edited May 2016
    Great show. Great view from one of the Chase bridges. To see the whole thing go down from up there was amazing. Also met great guys at the front of the line in our mission to acquire merch. Great run to the stands, guys.

Jeff also gave us this message..

Post edited by crookedcross on
  • foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 717
    i just can't wait for the boots because it's still just a blur! oh my
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    Eagerly awaiting the boot :smiley:
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    that first set was a monster.. it was relentless
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
    nycrats said:

that it was!
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

that it was!
    i did 6 shows phl,nyc,tor and there were some serious highlights but the msg1 first set was near the top of the list. cant wait to relsiten
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
    nycrats said:

mcgruff10 said:

nycrats said:

that it was!
    i did 6 shows phl,nyc,tor and there were some serious highlights but the msg1 first set was near the top of the list. cant wait to relsiten
    I've seen pj 56 times and that was the best first set i've ever seen.
  • ReikoReiko Posts: 29
    „This is not a parable, this is a terrible, this is a terrible thing...“, butterflies, such a great song, next time at Wuhlheide!

Only one month ago. It is incredible how time goes by! I have been waiting years to go to the Garden – my dream to see PJ there. I won tickets and traveld with my wife an son to NYC. We were lucky and greatful to PJ, to the 10Club and spent few days in NYC. MSG 1+2 were powerfull and full of amazing energy. I will never forget the two nights. Wonderful! Release make you want to kneel down. Awesome!

After MSG we spent two days in NYC and fell in love with SoHo. On May 4th, we have had a lunch at „Siggys Good Food“ around 2 pm, just around the corner from Housing Works Bookstore Cafe! At the evening – at „Hu Kitchen – Union Square“ – I saw the post on the message board! Major drama! Thats´ how life goes! The book I own is not signed, but anyway very important for me!
    „Tomas Young´s War“ is indispensable!

Hopefully see you at Wuhlheide in 2017!
    Berlin 1996, 2000, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2012 (1+2), 2014, 2018
    Düsseldorf 2007
    New York (1+2) 2016
    Amsterdam (1+2) 2018
    Prague 2018
    Wrigley (1+2) 2018
    EV-A´dam (2) 2012
    EV-A´dam (1) 2017
    EV-A´dam (1+2) 2019
    EV-Berlin 2017, 2019
    EV-Antwerpen 2017
    EV-Barolo 2019
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    That first set flew by so fast. It was blistering and the band was all business. Loved it :smiley:
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Playing on PJ Radio right now. This first set was awesome. Release always gives me chills. What a night.