Options

*Updated* Joshua - The Love Boat Captain

Comments

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    beautiful read. although I didn't get to meet you guys, I am glad to have shared Philly 2 with you.
    what an amazing night!!!! I am so happy for Joshua.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PJM3333PJM3333 Chicago Posts: 291
    WOW. Thanks for sharing your story. That video gives me chills every time I watch it. Blessings to you and your family! Joshua seems like a great little guy. Amazing how LBC affects all of us. I can still remember the first time I heard it back in 2002. The dude has great taste and you guys got one of the coolest sounding versions ever!

If I see you at Wrigley I'm buying you and your husband a beer! Go to Gingerman (2 blocks away) before the show and I'll buy you one there!
    2000-Chicago
    2003-Chicago, East Troy
    2006-Chicago, Cleveland
    2009-Chicago
    2011-PJ20 1, PJ20 2
    2013-Wrigley
    2014-Moline, Milwaukee
    2016-Lexington, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2018-Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    stina1118 said:

Thank you! I had such a hard time articulating all of the positive emotions we felt into words. I'm still so emotional about this whole trip.

Joshua had to go back to school this morning. Talk about an epic meltdown. Poor kiddo!!!!

Thank you for sharing this experience with us as well. Joshua has touched many of our lives. He has made me appreciate the music even more than I did before and the power of it. The dedication to him of LBC was the highlight for me of the 2 nights.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    stina1118stina1118 Illinois Posts: 151
    @lolobugg it was so hard with Joshua... We had to kinda play off his mood and tolerance. I would've loved to meet you as well!! You've been so supportive. Luckily, there will be more shows and more opportunities!

@PJM3333 I'll take you up on that! Can't wait!

Thank you @Amongst the Ani and everyone else. This thread has gone so much further than I had ever imagined.

I've been so inspired by this trip. My heart is full and I couldn't have asked for anything more out of this experience. I cried so many times during and after the trip out of happiness, relief and love.

Joshua's journey hasn't been easy,but we are very blessed in many ways. I have amazing kids, that have a passion for music. That makes me so happy.
    Particularly Joshua. He feels music in a way that I can't even understand.

Joshua already enjoys listening to the you tube video with his dedication. He's so excited about it. I can't even imagine how many times I will have to listen to that bootleg. Hahaha

Xoxo
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    So happy for Joshua and your family, to be able to experience that.

Memories that will last a lifetime=PRICELESS !
  • Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    stina1118 said:

@lolobugg it was so hard with Joshua... We had to kinda play off his mood and tolerance. I would've loved to meet you as well!! You've been so supportive. Luckily, there will be more shows and more opportunities!

@PJM3333 I'll take you up on that! Can't wait!

Thank you @Amongst the Ani and everyone else. This thread has gone so much further than I had ever imagined.

I've been so inspired by this trip. My heart is full and I couldn't have asked for anything more out of this experience. I cried so many times during and after the trip out of happiness, relief and love.

Joshua's journey hasn't been easy,but we are very blessed in many ways. I have amazing kids, that have a passion for music. That makes me so happy.
    Particularly Joshua. He feels music in a way that I can't even understand.

Joshua already enjoys listening to the you tube video with his dedication. He's so excited about it. I can't even imagine how many times I will have to listen to that bootleg. Hahaha

Xoxo

Joshua's LBC again mom...clap mom...dance with me...sing quiiiietlyyy... ❤️

Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    "Joshua's LBC again mom...clap mom...dance with me...sing quiiiietlyyy... ❤️"

Three days with us Tom and you know
    him so well!!!! And don't forget Samba Medusa
    Post edited by stina1118 on
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    cutz said:

So happy for Joshua and your family, to be able to experience that.

Memories that will last a lifetime=PRICELESS !

second this one! awesome story

• Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229

Thank you both for sharing Joshua's story. Pearl Jam is no stranger to kids with special needs, as they've played Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit Concert plenty of times over the years. Two years ago, Pearl Jam couldn't make it to Bridge, so some of the Bridge School kids came to their show instead, and this happened. One of the greatest concert moments I've ever witnessed. Mike McCready was even moved to tears after the song was over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYyOdGYS9sE

I watched this from the rail that night and I never get tired of watching the band interact with the Bridge kids. The only time I really enjoy hearing this song live is when the kids are in attendance because it makes it all the more meaningful to me.
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229

stina1118 said:

Thank you!!

If anyone grabbed a photo or video of us on the Jumbrotron, could you send it my way? We'd like to put a video together of our trip!

Thank you so much!!

Jim Powers did. Eddie starts talking about Joshua at the 3:00 min mark, then you guys are on the jumbotron. I don't know how to embed the video, so here is the link.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=L4X_m19Z_MM
    Okay, you just made this 45 year old man cry like a baby with that video!! Joshua is going to wear out that bootleg I'm sure of it! Thanks for sharing your story, Joshua truly has amazing parents!
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    edited May 2016
    You guys have touched so many people with your story.
    I was so happy to watch on periscope as Joshua & Co. got the shout out.
    Bravo!

Thank you for sharing
    Tami
    Post edited by RunIntoTheRain on
  • Options
    It's funny... After night 1, I was floored at the people who approached us to let us know how they were impacted by us that night. I spent the whole car ride home thinking about it, as I read through all of the amazing comments and processed this whole journey. I sometimes forget that caring for a child like Joshua is different than the norm. But to me, caring for Joshua is the norm.

I can't articulate enough how much all of this means to us. Joshua is still so excited! Dad and I are so happy for him. Your kind comments, support and love lets us know that we (including Joshua) are a part of this community. It helps us know it is okay to bring him to shows, because he will always have friends to "clap with him" and "give high 5s". This was about more than a song request... It was about acceptance and belonging.

Tom from Given to Live did a really nice write up from his point of view. This is part 1 and the second will be posted this weekend.
    https://facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1377422675607620&id=814123041937589

And please support this great cause through social media! Kids like Joshua don't have a lot of programs to assist them in making their dreams come true. GTL gave him the experience of a lifetime and I will forever be grateful for that.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    We all have our weird norms.

(no, I'm not talking about our norm with the lovely grey-browed dog ;) )

I hope kids like Joshua DO have more help to get them through, but never underestimate what you, as parents, do for and give to them. People like me just want to pile on in whatever way - energy, funds, words.

Anything.

Even if from miles away, I'll be clapping along with Joshua!
  • Options
    @hedonist you've been there from very early on in this thread.... Thank you!

It's the connection to people like you, that made everything about this trip so special. We felt so much love. I've never experienced anything like this before. It's surreal. I'm still amazed at all of the people who have reached out to us.

And...You are so right, we all do have our weird norms! Hahahaha
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,710
    Meeting with Tom In NY and watching the videos he took before during and after the show, was truly heartwarming, and seeing the immense and very real happiness that exuded from him in the immediate aftermath was inspiring. There is a chap, whom I am proud to call a dear friend, in his element helping others.

So glad Joshua had the time of his life.
  • Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748

stina1118 said:

Thank you!!

If anyone grabbed a photo or video of us on the Jumbrotron, could you send it my way? We'd like to put a video together of our trip!

Thank you so much!!

Jim Powers did. Eddie starts talking about Joshua at the 3:00 min mark, then you guys are on the jumbotron. I don't know how to embed the video, so here is the link.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=L4X_m19Z_MM
    Okay, you just made this 45 year old man cry like a baby with that video!! Joshua is going to wear out that bootleg I'm sure of it! Thanks for sharing your story, Joshua truly has amazing parents!
    yea really dude...sniff sniff.....I didn't put the two together until this morning...This is just about the coolest thing i have ever seen, from anything I have ever seen. From how it all started until that moment of dedicating the song to Josh, wow that is just so great to see, hear and experience...
    Glad Joshua and family made it to the show to see that. Big ups to live and give, for coordinating that! Wow just wow!!!
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

Meeting with Tom In NY and watching the videos he took before during and after the show, was truly heartwarming, and seeing the immense and very real happiness that exuded from him in the immediate aftermath was inspiring. There is a chap, whom I am proud to call a dear friend, in his element helping others.

So glad Joshua had the time of his life.

I think the four of us all left on that same high. It was quite an amazing experience, thanks to Toms hard work and dedication to what he does. ❤️
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    I hope this thread stays on page 1 for a long time. Every time I see more threads complaining the band mailed in a show, complaints about people flipping merch or any other normal 10c complaint thread I chose to see what new posts are in this thread instead. I hope you keep us up to date on Joshua. We all need a little smile or even a little cry out of happiness and this thread gives it.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861

I hope this thread stays on page 1 for a long time. Every time I see more threads complaining the band mailed in a show, complaints about people flipping merch or any other normal 10c complaint thread I chose to see what new posts are in this thread instead. I hope you keep us up to date on Joshua. We all need a little smile or even a little cry out of happiness and this thread gives it.

Couldn't be said better.
  • Options
    Too sweet!!! I promise to post updates. I have a video I'm working on with all of the pictures of the trip, I will post when it's ready. :)

I'm really debating taking Joshua to Wrigley night 2. We will see how things fall into place. It's very hectic downtown and I'd hate for him to be too overwhelmed. I don't know when we will get another show for him after that... And he had so much fun. I'd feel guilty going two nights without him!

But, I will definitely stay in touch! <3
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242

^^ This.

Much love to Joshua and his awesome parents.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    Stay strong in the fight guys. Joshua is an amazing kid, and through time he will learn to overcome all the obstacles that life throws his way. But absolutely these are the threads that need attention. Shows the power that music contains to heal.
  • Options
    stina1118 said:

My final blog post about our Philly road trip filled with thank you's and a recap of our experience. Thank you all again for making this family feel so special!
    https://joshuajamsblog.wordpress.com/2016/05/02/the-love-he-recieves-is-the-love-saved/

I've finally been able to catch up on this thread and read your blog post about your Philly experience. Josh is such an amazing young man! And I am so happy that he got to hear his song! Every time I hear LBC I think of you guys, and it makes me smile.

All this affirms that this band and its community are the greatest ever!

Rock on Love Boat Captain! :rock_on:

• Options
    You guys are really the F'n best!!!!!!
  • Options
    Happy Mothers Day!

I got some new stuff to share. As stuff has come out we're getting more and more. It's so much fun!!

Peace & Love you all!!!

New videos and Tom from Given To Live wrote part 2 of our PJ experience.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1380087482007806&id=814123041937589

https://youtu.be/RBxlJY8SsBw
    https://youtu.be/1hombC3Kc2U
  • Options
    IcurapsIcuraps IL Posts: 4
    As we have had some time to get back into our daily routine I would like to take the time to acknowledge some of the people that made our trip so incredible.

First, Tom, thank you for making all of it happen. You worked for months “across the pond” from us and have it come together so well. When we arrived after midnight, stressed and tired from driving, we walked into our room covered with fun Pearl Jamness, (great adjective) it immediately brought a smile to our faces. You worried about each detail and I appreciated every bit of it. So thank you again to you and your great organization Given to Live.

Thank you to Dave, Brian, Paul and the people who made donations to provide us with amazing PJ Philly merch. Joshua has worn a different PJ shirt to school every day since we have been back. I’m not going to lie; I have been wearing mine to work as well.

Thank you to Crashious Roadside for the amazing hoodies. We are all obsessed. The creativity and quality are incredible and we will definitely order from you in the future. Christina has already started suggesting I consider getting her one for Christmas.

Thank you to Pam and Liam as well as Darlene and your daughter with the avocado socks. It was great meeting you guys have you all be part of this experience. I’m sure our paths will cross again in another city.

Thank you to each person that reached out to us and either just said hi or shared their experience with us.

Often times taking Joshua places gives me anxiety. It’s difficult to explain but Joshua is amazing, he has provided me with perspective and humility all while have the simplest views in an incredibly complex world. Bringing him out can feel like you are exposing your greatest insecurity. I mere awkward stare from a stranger can cut through you unlike anything else.
    My wife often asks me if I’m “OK” as she watches my stress level rise. I assure I am, it’s not that I am upset, it’s emotional armor that I wear often when we take him out in large settings.

After two days in Philly and having countless people providing an overwhelming amount of love and support I was able to take it off knowing I was among family. For most of the show on night two I sat with Joshua on my lap and enjoyed every second of it unburdened by anything except maybe the thought of Joshua losing it at the end of YLB, but hey, he’s not the only one.

Thank you,
    Josh
  • Options
    motarmotar Posts: 141
    Ive cried tears of joy reading your family's story no less than 5 times. You guys are an inspiration and Joshua is a Rock Star. My one regret about the 2 nights in Philly is that I didn't seek you guys out and deliver a strong round of bear hugs.

If you ever make it out to Colorado you have a friend out here.
  • Options
    Hi all! Just a heads up... If anyone wants to listen in... I am going to be interviewed about Joshua's experience on Pearl Jam radio today at about 4:15.

We're super excited!!
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    This thread never ceases to make me smile. :smile:
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    stina1118 said:

Hi all! Just a heads up... If anyone wants to listen in... I am going to be interviewed about Joshua's experience on Pearl Jam radio today at about 4:15.

We're super excited!!

that is so awesome. I will be sure to check it out.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore