*** Toronto, ON Fanviews Here 5/10/16 ***

Comments

• BV84003BV84003 Holt, MI Posts: 360
    Tremorman said:

Is this the first show with only one song from Lightning Bolt?

London, ON 2013 also only had MYM played.

Strangely enough, of the 3 "lightning bolt" era shows that I've seen, I've only heard 2 songs from the album - I got MYM at all 3 shows, and LB at just one.
    2003 Clarkston MI #2 | 2004 Grand Rapids MI | 2013 London ON | 2014 Detroit MI | 2016 Toronto ON #1
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I have now gotten Even Flow and Given to Fly at all 11 shows I've been to.

I am happy to have gotten an album show. I used to listen to Binaural a lot. Now I'll have to break it out more often again.

Imagine was a nice treat as well. And what a badass version of GO to start the show!

Would have been nice to end the show a little differently rather than Black>Alive>RITFW though. A little predictable. At least they didn't end it with Yellow Ledbetter!!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    BV84003 said:

Tremorman said:

Strangely enough, of the 3 "lightning bolt" era shows that I've seen, I've only heard 2 songs from the album - I got MYM at all 3 shows, and LB at just one.
    Lightning Bolt was released like 4 month after the London show so not surprising.

What were the other shows?
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Would it be creepy if I proposed to Donna Grantis?
  • ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075

http://imgur.com/cGIcyDM

Security guard wasn't impressed either last night.

I was waiting for that to be memed.
  • BV84003BV84003 Holt, MI Posts: 360
    Smellyman said:

BV84003 said:

Tremorman said:

Lightning Bolt was released like 4 month after the London show so not surprising.

What were the other shows?
    That's true about London being well before the album, but Chicago just a few days later did have a few LB songs. Detroit 2014 and last night were my other shows. Kind of silly I've only heard those two songs the last few years; I'd have loved to at least get Pendulum or Getaway somewhere along the way.

Last night was noteworthy for a few things, not just full Binaural and one LB song. MYM and Down aside, every song played was also from 2000 or earlier.
    2003 Clarkston MI #2 | 2004 Grand Rapids MI | 2013 London ON | 2014 Detroit MI | 2016 Toronto ON #1
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited May 2016
    1 lightning bolt
    0 backspacer
    0 avocado
    0 riot act

Having started my Fandom on the riot act tour... 25 shows in, this show was completely unique to me.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • WWSWWS Ontario Posts: 455
    17th show. Fantastic. Hard to place where it fits in my best shows- I've been fortunate to see some great ones (Buffalo '03, Philly #4, Wrigley '13, Detroit '14). I see both sides from love to just like. I was losing my shit about all of the songs I have never experienced live. Amazing!, On the other side my daughter was with me and didn't know any of the Binaural songs and looked a bit bored until the hit parade started in the encores. Top 5 show for me...understand how it could be tough for those who didn't grow up with Binaural or see the Binaural tour. Cheers.
    '93 Toronto, '98 Barrie, '00 Toronto, '03 Buffalo, '05 Hamilton, '06 Toronto 1&2 '09 Toronto, '09 Philly #4, '11 Hamilton, '13 London, '13 Wrigley,    '13 Buffalo, '14 Detroit Rock City,'16 Ottawa, '16 Toronto 1&2, '16 Fenway '18 Wrigley 1&2, '20 Baltimore. '22 Hamilton, '24 Wrigley 1&2
  • pineapplesandwaves.pineapplesandwaves. GTA Posts: 1,808
    edited May 2016
    goldenegg said:

The people beside me and behind me chatted loudly all through Let Me Sleep and the couple in front of me left to get beer. WHAT?! Crazy!

Were you by any chance in section 121, row 27? I had the exact experience in that section. Specifically, two girls behind me that kept talking through the majority of the concert. Crazy.
    I was in 118 or 119 towards the back.
    MayDay10 said:

Anyone notice the sound was cranked up 10 notches for the second encore? That was loud as shit

I sure did! So loud!
    Post edited by pineapplesandwaves. on
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    I watched/listened to the show from the comfort of my sofa, thanks to periscope, and I enjoyed it immensely. A great show.
  • GJ125369GJ125369 Canada Posts: 40
    BV84003 said:

Last night was noteworthy for a few things, not just full Binaural and one LB song. MYM and Down aside, every song played was also from 2000 or earlier.

I thought this was interesting too as other shows I've been to generally have at least one track from each album. Nothing off No Code either last night so that's basically five entire albums they didn't touch with the exception of MYM. I think it's probably safe to assume Lightning Bolt and Sirens will be making appearances tomorrow night.

• Glorifried GGlorifried G Posts: 37
    edited May 2016
    I don't understand how people don't like Binaural. "It's inaccessible"? What the f*** does that even mean? That you actually have to listen to and think about the songs? That's what you're supposed to do! To see it live was amazing. Doesn't matter how many shows you or I've seen, it was awesome! Along with Let Me Sleep-a song I never thought I'd see live-just fantastic! Get off your horses and enjoy the experience.
    Post edited by Glorifried G on
    G.

"The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime" r.w.
    "Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd-smiling" p.f.
  • siansphericsianspheric Toronto, Canada Posts: 22
    edited May 2016
    Only 3rd show for me! First was Oct 2000 at ACC, second was Sept 2011 at ACC.

I'm a bit more of a casual PJ fan than a lot of people here, as such I'll admit I totally don't know Binaural at all. My PJ obsession kind of ran up until Yield, didn't really love the albums after that one (just being honest). So when they got halfway into Binaural I didn't even know (besides knowing Nothing As It Seems) I didn't even realize it until someone near me mentioned they were running through Binaural.

All in I had GA which was AMAZING. First time I've had GA at an ACC show since Jane's Addiction 15 years ago. The crowd on the floor was fantastic and respectful and showed the band real love.

As for the setlist, I'll admit I'd have rather had a more varied set than ALL of Binaural. While Ten Club has lots of members who show a lot of love and respect for all PJ material I think the more casual fans would have loved a full run through of any of the first 4 albums as opposed to say Binaural. I was a bit sad there wasn't much material from No Code (none) Vitalogy (2 tracks).

Other than that, I loved the set. The band were absolutely on fucking fire during Rearview Mirror and Once and tons of other tunes. Mike McCready is a fucking boss and he was better than ever last night. He is such an underrated guitarist.

Overall I had a great time, I sang my heart out to all the tracks I knew and loved. The band sound better than ever. It was also some of the best sound I've ever heard for an ACC show so credit to the sound guys for making the best out of an arena that often has bad acoustics.

Post edited by sianspheric on
  • queequeg29queequeg29 Posts: 23
    Anyone manage to get an extra poster for the show?
  • C D NC D N Posts: 29
    What does it look like
  • KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    Let me sleep. Nuff said. Bye.
  • KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748

I don't understand how people don't like Binaural. "It's inaccessible"? What the f*** does that even mean? That you actually have to listen to and think about the songs? That's what you're supposed to do! To see it live was amazing. Doesn't matter how many shows you or I've seen, it was awesome! Along with Let Me Sleep-a song I never thought I'd see live-just fantastic! Get off your horses and enjoy the experience.

People who don't dig in Binaural, are more than likely PJ fans that I wouldn't want to sit next to at a show lol

• toblerussetoblerusse Posts: 91
    Great show. Binaural is excellent and fun.

I might have two tickets up for grabs for Thursday's show. Lower bowl, section 107.

I will know for sure whether they are available around noon on thursday. DM if interested
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    edited May 2016

Did I see a crowd surfer (who was quickly pulled over the rail, it seemed) during (I think) Alive?

Wonder if I should just edit my first post instead of adding random rememberances as they occur, lol?

Yes someone crowdsurfed!
    As I drifted off last night it occurred to me it might have been someone in distress, glad to hear it wasn't that. Hope everyone in the vicinity made out none the worse for wear.

Edited to remove a potentially offensive lol, lol.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 1,989
    my2hands said:

Vs. and Vitalogy may have been better records in 1993 & 1994... but in my opinion Binaural & Riot Act are better albums in 2016... they are more mature... they have better song writing... they are less testosterone & angst driven.... they are more refined... they are amazing fucking records

I cant tell you the last time I listened to Ten, Vs, or Vitalogy... its been YEARS... but I reach for Binaural & Riot Act all the time

Yup.
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • ccjackccjack Posts: 134
    I was up in the nose bleeds and super happy to just be in the building but sometimes it's hard to ignore those around you when they're texting and talking so loud I could barely hear Ed singing Let Me Sleep, I think some of the casual fans just didn't seem to get what was happening but I did my best to block them out and can't wait for the boot so I can hear what Eddie was talking about. Def have a new appreciation for my fan club seats after not being surrounded by the faithful on Tuesday. Can't wait to see what's in store for us tonight!
    TL170678 said:

Wow it`s so awesome. I just do not get why people care if the people around them enjoy it or not...

"Push me and I will resist"
  • nevetsreddabnevetsreddab Chatham, Ontario Posts: 14
    edited May 2016
    Only my 4th show but I am always amazed by the energy the band gives, and also the energy the crowd gives back. I have never seen another band that does what these guys do. I understand Binaural is not everyone's fav, it's not mine either,but I feel privileged that I was there to experience it. Every show I have seen has a song that just goes to a different level and as someone mentioned earlier, it was Comfortably Numb for me at this show. Everyone we encountered was super cool, both in the merch line and in the show. For everyone going tonight as well, enjoy! It should be special.
    Post edited by nevetsreddab on
    London - July 16, 2013
    Buffalo - October 12, 2013
    Detroit - October 16, 2014
    Toronto - May 10, 2016
  • jdopjjdopj Posts: 646

my2hands said:

Vs. and Vitalogy may have been better records in 1993 & 1994... but in my opinion Binaural & Riot Act are better albums in 2016... they are more mature... they have better song writing... they are less testosterone & angst driven.... they are more refined... they are amazing fucking records

I cant tell you the last time I listened to Ten, Vs, or Vitalogy... its been YEARS... but I reach for Binaural & Riot Act all the time

Yup.
    Vitalogy has always been favorite but recently it has been replaced by Binaural.
    Add in the b-sides from this album and Wow!!!
  • toblerussetoblerusse Posts: 91
    8 pages of comments and barely a mention of Parting Ways?
    c'monnnn

driftinnnn awaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy
    driftinnnn awaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    driftinnnn awaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    driftinnnn awaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Loved knowing it was coming once i clued in that this was another full album show.
  • Amazing show. One of the best I've ever seen. Thank you PJ and 10c
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • jessebasijessebasi Toronto Posts: 149
    MayDay10 said:
    I was sitting beside friends of theirs at the show and they told me the story. Didn't know it was published online. Wonderful story that is truly a testament to how amazing this band is. It's great that they did I Am Mine on night 2. Don't know if Robin and Joel were there, but if they were, good on you Ed.
    2016 - Toronto I (Binaural!), Toronto II
    2020 - Toronto, Hamilton
  • satansbed94satansbed94 Montreal Posts: 349
    Any pictures floating around of Mike going up the stairs during his Alive solo?
  • jordan kjordan k Posts: 196
    Well this was my 19th show and I am so glad I went. Every year since 2000 I have worn my Binaural shirt to the first show I go to on any given season. And to not only experience my first full album at a show but for it to be Binaural was something I will never forget. My wife and I were in the pit (Mikes side) and around the second song in to album my Neighbours started wondering if this was going to be them playing Binaural, and by the 4th song we knew it was on.

Binaural has grown into my second fav album over the years. Light years hits me with a new emotion almost every time I listen. Rival is a dark enjoyable journey for me, I think one of Stones truly great songs. And then he follows it up with Thin Air. This song is especially meaningful for me now as it was one of the first songs my wife and I danced to during our wedding. Insignificance live was a transformative moment for me when it came to Pearl Jam. I will never forget the unexpected power that came from hearing it live. The energy from the band was unlike any think I had ever seen before. This was live music.

Seeing it all unfold live was incredible. And to see how the band juxtaposed playing such a moody textured album with some playful moments and breaks truly show why they are one of the all time great live bands. Sleight of Hand live was unreal. Evacuation after Eddies Talk was a ballsy sincere moment. Soon Forget was played in a perfect place to get almost universal support from a crowd.
    Gods Dice was on fire. I could go on and on about the songs but instead I will share one last story.

I was dancing and singing along and enjoying a great moment with my lovely wife, and at one point I felt someone grab me because they wanted a pic of me in my faded old shirt (much like my faded old self I suppose hahah). The crowd parted and I did my best to give a decent one. Usually pics are not my thing, but I was happy to oblige this time!

Such fun, such an experince!
    Key Arena - Nov 05 2000, General Motors Place - May 30 2003, General Motors Place - Sep 02 2005, Canada Olympic Park - Aug 08 2009,Key Arena - Sep 22 2009, GM Place - Sep 25 2009, The O2 - Jun 22 2010, Odyssey Arena - Jun 23 2010, Hyde Park - Jun 25 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Scotiabank Saddledome - Sep 21, 2011, Rexall Place - Sep 23, 2011, Pacific Coliseum - Sep 25, 2011, Portland OR 11-29-2013, Spokane WA 11-30-2013, Vancouver BC 12-04-2013, Seattle WA 12-06-2013, Toronto ON 05-10-2016, Toronto ON 05-12-2016, Seattle WA 08-08-2018, Seattle 08-10-2018

EV Arlene Schnitzer Hall - July 14 2011, EV Benaroya Hall - July 16 2011

• nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    Anybody notice the security guard/venue employee in blue I think sprinting around night 1 through all the chaos trying to find shorter lines for people to get in? He was busting his ass, awesome guy, really just concerned about people getting in easily and being happy
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1