*** Toronto, ON Fanviews Here 5/12/16 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited May 2016 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
Air Canada Centre
Toronto, ON
May 12, 2016
Set List

Walk On Music:08:32 It Happened Today-R.E.M.
Band On Stage:08:34
Band Off Stage:11:32

(Band gets onstage while houselights are on. They go off as the verse starts)
(Jeff is wearing a ‘We Are The North’ shirt he amended to say ‘North West’.)
01. Why Go
02. Corduroy
03. Mind Your Manners
04. Brain Of J
05. Animal
(Ed comments that some pretty good things have been going on here the last couple of nights. He compliments the fans for being so vocal during the game last night. He talks about the prodigious amounts of pot Shawn Kemp smoked. He then complains that Seattle no longer has a team then suggests that Pearl Jam support the Raptors. When he mentions the opposing teams player Dwyane Wade and gets some boos he continues, “yeah, you don’t like him because he is good if he sucked you’d love him.”)

06. Garden

(Ed wants to acknowledge the people in Fort McMurray and Manitoba are helping with the fires and even though we are enjoying ourselves here those people are on our minds. “We are gonna give some dough to them to help out if we can and the money we are sending came from you so thank you.”)

07. I Am Mine
08. Nothingman
09. Cropduster
(Ed refers to the line “Let the fluency set it down”. It comes from an Italian friend’s idea of an American colloquialism. Ed talks about cities and their ‘erections’ or monuments. He says Rush is monumental. {Geddy Lee is sitting on the monitor wing}. The audience cheers loudly. Mike plays a couple of chords from “Fly By Night”. Jeff plays a couple of notes from Cygnus X-1. Ed says we have been a band for twenty five years but if we wanted to play a Rush song we would probably have to play for another twenty five. Geddy laughs. Ed continues “they have XYZ (sic) we are more like LMNOP. Getting back to monuments and erections we have the Space Needle and you have the CN tower. This next song was written underneath the Space Needle.”)

10. Even Flow (once again, an audience member helps sing the end of the song)
(EV expresses awe with Mike’s guitar playing by saying he would offer up all of his genitalia to play that well and asks if anyone is making that offer? He also introduces Matt “Fucking” Cameron. And Stone Gossard who starts the next song)
11. Daughter/WMA/Blitzkrieg Bop-(Ramones) this is just Hey Ho Let’s Go twice
12. Green Disease
13. Unthought Known
14. Present Tense
(“Right now we would like to play the whole Binaural record for you.”)
15. Alone
16. Lightning Bolt (Mike goes to the back of the stage and plays to crowd there. Towards the end of the song Mike looks to be having a casual conversation that no one can hear.)
17. Do The Evolution
18. Blood

Encore Break One
Ed thinks their families will understand if they stay and play a few more songs. He waves at people in suites and very high seats. He talks about the legalization of pot in Seattle and how well it is working. He brings up a “diabolical” genetic disease called EB. He describes some of the awful symptoms of the disease. He praises Toronto’s hospital for sick children for working with a hospital in The United States. He gives special thanks Dr. Elana Pope.
A French flag was tossed onstage and Ed talks about the tragedy at the Eagles of Death Metal concert and mentions Pierre-Antoine Henry, a fan club member killed at the concert. The next song is for his family.)
19. Just Breathe
20. Oceans
21. Inside Job
(We would like to play the next song for our longtime friend Michele [Anthony]. She has worked with us since we were kids. She specialized in difficult artists. We wouldn’t be here without her)
22. Breath (Ed gets on the barricade and sings)
23. Lukin
24. Porch (while the band goes nuts behind him Ed reflects light off of his pick guard back into the audience. Ed gets back on the barricade for the end of Porch. Mike goes to the barricade to let fans strum his guitar.)

Encore Break Two

(Ed says the band is providing a couple of autographed guitars for auction at the Tyler McGill memorial benefit concert and auction being held Queen Victoria’s Pub on Midland Avenue. Tyler was killed by a random act of violence in 2007 and the benefit raises money for youth music programs.)

25. Last Kiss-(Cochran) (played 360)
26. Last Exit
27. Better Man (EV stops singing but continues playing. As the audience sings the part for him Ed starts talking about the tour wrapping up and how cool Toronto is and how tolerant the people here are. He tells a story about a driver in Miami that was talking about “the coloreds , and the gays.” The guy was an older guy and was set in his ways and was everything that the people he was talking about were not. Also the guy was saying this in front of Ed’s children. Ed thought to himself how is this guy so intolerant and what kind of country do we live in? He then considered that the guy was old and out of shape and very overweight. He reasoned that this guy is gonna die soon and take all of his stupid ideas with him and that is great. He praises Toronto again and says how much they will miss it. He goes back into the song)

(Boom gets introduced)
28. Crazy Mary-(Williams) (during the solo section Mike comes over and plays with Boom. Ed sneaks his hand in to play some keys as well)
29. Black
30. Alive
(Ed introduces Donna Grantis who is back to play with the band again. He also takes some time to mention what an honor it is be able to play with Geddy Lee in the house who is not only the definition of a virtuoso musician but is a truly wonderful and kind person. The band breaks into a few seconds of Cygnus X-1 again)
31. Baba O’Riley-(Townshend) w/ special guest guitarist Donna Grantis
32. Yellow Ledbetter

(during the bows Ed says “we’re the Northwest, proud to be in the North.)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

Thanks John for the set list & notes.
Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• MUZIKMUZIK Posts: 627
    coming from someone who was at both philly and new york shows

Toronto got the best back to back shows.
    09.11.98, 08.24.00, 08.25.00, 04.30.03, 07.08.03, 07.08.03, 09.15.05, 09.16.05, 09.19.05, 09.30.05, 10.01.05, 05.12.06, 05.13.06, 05.25.06, 05.27.06, 05.28.06, 06.01.06, 06.03.06, 06.19.08, 06.20.08, 06.22.08, 06.24.08, 06.25.08, 06.27.08, 06.28.08, 06.30.08, 07.01.08, 08.05.08, 08.07.08, 10.27.09, 10.30.09, 10.31.09, 05.18.10, 05.20.10, 05.21.10, 10.15.13, 10.18.13, 10,19,13, 9.23.15, 9.26.15, 04.28.16, 04.29.16, 05.01.16, 05.02.16, 05.06.22, 05.07.22, 09.14.22
  • Glorified_NGlorified_N Posts: 57
    AMAZING SHOW I CANT EVEN EXPALIN HOE AWESOMM THE SHOW WAS YOMMING G TONIGJT
  • SputNickSputNick Posts: 101

+1
    Binaural > Vs > No Code > Yield = Riot Act > Vitalogy > Pearl Jam > Ten > Lightning Bolt > Backspacer
  • MUZIK said:

coming from someone who was at both philly and new york shows

Yup
  • This show. This fucking show.
  • WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    Take my money. Take it!
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    Wasn't at the show, but must say that poster is sweet. Easily one of the best of the tour.
  • 1rogeraspain21rogeraspain2 Posts: 104
    So fucking jealous!

Man, Toronto got two incredibly good shows. Amazing setlists both nights.

Good for you guys. Wish I could have been there.
  • cheney50mccheney50mc Posts: 217
    Incredible pacing all night. Some combos like Alone after PT were perfect. The encore run was crazy. Breath, wow. When it clicked in I was hoping for it, and if they had played Last Exit after Lukin I maybe would have passed out. Then got it the 2nd encore. The experience over the 2 nights was so great. Would have taken something else over Cropduster but that it was a tour first on the last night made it very cool.
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    You know what was fucking awesome? That some of EVERY ALBUM except Binaural got played tonight! Together with yesterday Binaural getting the attention, and today getting the full retrospective - was just a very cool back-to-back experience. As always, the band was on fire and I loved every second of it. We also got a great poster tonight! Still ecstatic from the night.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 440
    Tuesday was a cool experience with Binaural and some of the covers (my first show of the tour, so getting to see Imagine and Comfortably Numb plus The Real Me was new and exciting) but tonight just kicked ass from start to finish. Replace Cropduster (don't hate me, I just never really liked that song) and Last Kiss with two other songs and it's almost a perfect set.
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • inmyNCinmyNC amongst many Posts: 243
    Wish I could've been there.. Must have been quite a show!!
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Was just off the rail and it was killer. What a fucking set. Crazy Mary just knocked me out.
  • andrew68andrew68 Toronto Posts: 1,789
    stellar show!
    Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Awesome. Perfect. Amazing. Thank you. Love you Pearl Jam
  • ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    Perfect end-of-tour show. Emotional, genuine, great energy. Wonderful articulation by Ed of his appreciation of the city and the fans. Thank you.
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    Another terrific show within 72hours..... I'll go into live Pearl Jam withdrawl next week and then start counting the days to Fenway 1. This band is awesome!
  • GB200251GB200251 Posts: 9
    Everything about this show was amazing. The set grew into something spectacular as the night went on and so did the energy in the building. From Animal onwards that first set was straight fire. There was fucking steam coming off the band tonight.
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    MUZIK said:

coming from someone who was at both philly and new york and Toronto shows

'98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • GB200251GB200251 Posts: 9
    Also, inside job into breath was perfect
  • BennyLaRueBennyLaRue Posts: 751
    Infuckingtense

Just seeing the setlist doesn't do to show justice. These guys were just ferocious for 3 hours. How they do it, I dunno. It's like they're amazing artists AND athletes.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    That was a fucking great show. The band just rocked the Canadian dates. I can't wait for my next shows.
  • bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 1,989

This. Exactly.
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    edited May 2016
    Killer concert. Breath was so beautiful. And Garden completed ten for me. Second time seeing Oceans. Wow, no complaints here that's for sure. And second time seeing blood! Holy I could edit this post 5 more times! lol
    Post edited by Mignelli14 on
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    edited May 2016
    Again, just wow. WOW! After not seeing them since 91, twice just kicked my ass, lol.

Tonight I sat rearview by myself (I suspect Mike's conversation during LB was with his tech, who was out of view from most, lol. Don't specifically remember though, lol.). I'm a pretty sedate concertgoer, so just head-bopped and sang along, lol.

Tonight was just as good as Tuesday, with a more varied setlist (for obvious reasons, lol). Standouts for me tonight were (what may be my favourite yet) Better Man, Crazy Mary (Mike and Boom!!!), the return of Donna Grantis, glad I got Lukin. Again, the band was blazing and seemed to be enjoying themselves, and the crowd brought it as well.

Every song was fresh, even the couple repeats, like Even Flow and Porch. When 2 out of the first 3 songs were the same as Tuesday, I was wondering what we were in for (the rumoured Vitalogy, lol?), but quickly the show took its own equally enjoyable turns, with not a disappointing moment for 3 hours, lol.

I'm glad I ran into a couple of guys who were also at tonight's show (but not Tuesday), because it helped put the last couple nights in perspective for me, lol. The one guy was I'd say a more casual fan, while his buddy was a bit more dedicated, lol. If I were pointing them at the bootlegs, Tuesday's for the faithfull, while tonight was more accessible to the casual fan. Nothing wrong with either one, obviously. Now the waiting for the bootlegs begins, these will absolutely be favourites for more than just the fact I was there, lol.

Again, thank you to the band, as well as their crew, families, Ten Club (tonight's ticket was a 10C trade for my Tuesday spare, thanks again Geoff, glad you were able to make it tonight too), and the fans for a spectacular night and blowing my socks off. Again.

I won't be waiting almost 25 years again. This time I didn't get too hot until the walk home, lol.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    AAAHH! I SHOULDA BEEN THERE!!
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • TorontonianTorontonian Posts: 532
    Was there Tuesday and tonight. Tuesday good, Thursday was epic. My local is the Queen Victoria Pub in Scarborough. I was floored.
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,610
    Next tour I'm definitely hitting Canada shows. Some nice varied setlists going down up there.
    They really do love Canada. Tonight was what I guess the msg2 bitchers were hoping for
    Also eds story about the cab driver in Miami was pretty surprising
    Usually rock and roll is all "peace and love and let's change the world through positives" but instead he was so angry saying "fuck that guy I hope he dies tomorrow". Granted the guy sounds like a giant asshole but that's a lot of anger going over to the dark side. You could really feel eds seething hatred. Sure, fuck that prejudiced prick but wishing all your enemies dead is pretty harsh.