A heartfelt thank you to Pearl Jam

troublenomore62troublenomore62 Posts: 4
edited May 2016 in The Porch
A huge heartfelt thank you to Pearl Jam. My 16 year old daughter and I were at the show in Quebec City. This was my first concert since my husband died We were married in 1991, so we were together as long as Pearl Jam is. We travelled all over to see them, and these trips were very special to us, our escape from "regular life" - our last show together was Hartford 2013. When my husband became ill, one of his wishes was to see Pearl Jam one more time. Sadly, he was unable to fulfill that wish as he passed six months ago, so when the tour was announced, my daughter and I decided to see a couple of shows in his honour. We picked Quebec City and Ottawa, as they were not too far from home. As the Quebec City show got closer, I was starting to dread it. Seeing a band that had so many memories of my husband tied with it seemed very daunting. It seemed so wrong to be going without him. I also had not listened to a lot of music since he died, as my husband was an amazing drummer, and anytime I would hear a song that he had played (and there are hundreds - he played every day) it would cut like a knife. But this was going to be my daughter's first concert ever and she was so excited. She only started listening to Pearl Jam after her dad passed and fell in love with their music. Her big regret was that she did not start listening to them earlier and was unable to share this with her dad.

When Eddie started his dedication to Valerie and Jan, it was as if he was speaking to Amanda and myself. We stood there with tears rolling down our faces. THEN they played Given To Fly! My husband would never talk about funeral arrangements, the only thing he requested was that we play Given To Fly.

To Valerie, I am a couple of months ahead of you and I understand your pain. I hope that your path through grief becomes softer. Much love.

Gabi

P.S. My daughter, who is quite reserved, jumped and danced her way through the show. I have not seem her smile in a very long time and she smiled from start to finish. She cannot wait for Ottawa. I think Pearl Jam has a new fan for life.
Post edited by troublenomore62 on
Tagged:

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    Greatest band ever.

RIP.
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Sorry for your loss..it's great you and your daughter had that experience.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    awesome...best wishes to you both
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Gabi, my sincerest sympathy for your loss. It is wonderful that you are able to share this music with your daughter. Have a fantastic time in Ottawa.
    ELITIST FUK
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    Ed said it best in QC The pain is because of the love. See you in Otw.
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    great post...keep on keepin on.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    edited May 2016
    I have had so many tears this week, uncontrollable. Actually Valerie doesn't come in the forums, I am sure she will at some point, but here is her thread on Facebook, and I am 100% positive she would want you to share your story with her.
    https://www.facebook.com/valerie.georgiades/posts/1018841341529538?notif_t=comment_mention&notif_id=1462585706090056
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
    By the way I really appreciate your story, it has touched me deeply, not suppose to be crying this much at 6:00 am, but they are mostly good tears though
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    TalonTedd said:

That was one of my favorite moments of the show and he is 100% right with what he said.

Thanks for sharing your story OP. Its crazy how emotional one can get over a song.
    PJNB said:

TalonTedd said:

That was one of my favorite moments of the show and he is 100% right with what he said.

Thanks for sharing your story OP. Its crazy how emotional one can get over a song.
    I can't remember a concert at least recently where so many lives have been touched so deeply by an entire show, what a magical night that was, cannot wait for the bootleg, the power of music and this band, when people ask how we can be so into this band, nights like that is how
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,857
    My sympathy goes out to you and your family, as dealing with a loss is never easy. It is great to see that you will have new memories to build on this band with your daughter. Stay strong.
    Valerie just read this thread, and she will find the time to come on here, and would really like to connect with you, because your emotions that you both have been going through are so parallel with one another.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    TalonTedd said:

How true, for better or worse.

Gabi, what a beautiful post - warm welcomes from here. I too offer condolences to you and your daughter...and think that she can still share this amazing music with her dad, in her own way. It heals somehow.

And, your last line made me smile. A new fan for life.
  • UndrakanUndrakan Donostia - San Sebastian Posts: 113
    Much love for both of you, Gabi.
    Welcome to the new fan!!
    edited May 2016

A huge heartfelt thank you to Pearl Jam. My 16 year old daughter and I were at the show in Quebec City. This was my first concert since my husband died We were married in 1991, so we were together as long as Pearl Jam is. We travelled all over to see them, and these trips were very special to us, our escape from "regular life" - our last show together was Hartford 2013. When my husband became ill, one of his wishes was to see Pearl Jam one more time. Sadly, he was unable to fulfill that wish as he passed six months ago, so when the tour was announced, my daughter and I decided to see a couple of shows in his honour. We picked Quebec City and Ottawa, as they were not too far from home. As the Quebec City show got closer, I was starting to dread it. Seeing a band that had so many memories of my husband tied with it seemed very daunting. It seemed so wrong to be going without him. I also had not listened to a lot of music since he died, as my husband was an amazing drummer, and anytime I would hear a song that he had played (and there are hundreds - he played every day) it would cut like a knife. But this was going to be my daughter's first concert ever and she was so excited. She only started listening to Pearl Jam after her dad passed and fell in love with their music. Her big regret was that she did not start listening to them earlier and was unable to share this with her dad.

When Eddie started his dedication to Valerie and Jan, it was as if he was speaking to Amanda and myself. We stood there with tears rolling down our faces. THEN they played Given To Fly! My husband would never talk about funeral arrangements, the only thing he requested was that we play Given To Fly.

To Valerie, I am a couple of months ahead of you and I understand your pain. I hope that your path through grief becomes softer. Much love.

Gabi

P.S. My daughter, who is quite reserved, jumped and danced her way through the show. I have not seem her smile in a very long time and she smiled from start to finish. She cannot wait for Ottawa. I think Pearl Jam has a new fan for life.

Your daughter becoming a Pearl Jam fan is a very good thing, because she could not have better role models, well except maybe yourself and your husband of course. I didn't find out Valerie was attending the show until the day before, so for Ed to check the boards the day of the show, and not only play the request, when they were already playing two other board requests, but to read the story and remember the names and details, it brought so much joy to so many lives. I was watching on Periscope and when his voice started cracking, and started getting choked up, I started bawling, like the first time I saw Love Story after Ali McGraw's character passed away, and so many other people had the same response. Those that we have made a deep connection with will always be with us, and they wouldn't want us to mourn and be in pain, they would want us to be happy and celebrate their their lives. That it is really hard because the more we love them the more it hurts.

You won't believe this, I just went to play as song as I was finishing. It was at beginning of the second verse of I Am Mine

The ocean is full cause everyone's crying
    The full moon is looking for friends at high tide
    The sorrow grows bigger when the sorrows denied
    I only know my mind, I am mine.

This is crazy, I am speechless, this is like the 5th different thing that has happened surrounding one song request that I made, that the odds would be less than a 1% chance of each thing individually happening, and for all these things to fall into place, would be like me winning the lottery, but I would trade winning the lottery, for you guys to have that moment. No greater feeling than doing something unconditional with no expectations, except with the sole purpose of making someone's life better, this has been an amazing few days, I am truly blessed.
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Goddammit I'm crying again. This band sometimes can be more than we ask. And that is a great thing.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    Lots of love to you and your daughter, Gabi. I'm glad you were able to have this experience and find comfort in being at the show. Have a blast in Ottawa! :heart:

Goddammit I'm crying again. This band sometimes can be more than we ask. And that is a great thing.

• PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Rip. Sorry for your loss. Welcome to a new fan and hello to a long term one. :peace:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • KCjamKCjam Posts: 135

Gabi

This is simply awesome! Evokes lots of emotion in me when I read it. Thanks for sharing.
  • Valerie just read this thread, and she will find the time to come on here, and would really like to connect with you, because your emotions that you both have been going through are so parallel with one another.

Anytime, message me if she would like my email.