Walk On Music: It Happened Today-R.E.M. 8:36
Band On Stage: 08:39
Band Off Stage: 11:20

01. Corduroy
02. Mind Your Manners
03. Once
04. Animal
05. Given To Fly
(“Good evening Madison Square Garden. We can’t throw a garden party without you so thanks for coming.” Ed comments that they have played New York City around 36 times and MSG around ten times. He adds that he thinks it sounds better than before. He introduces Rick Nielsen and Tom Petersson from Cheap Trick and congratulates them on being inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.)

06. Surrender-(Nielsen) (Rick Nielsen-guitar, Tom Petersson-12 string bass.) Jeff also played bass

(after the song Rick takes a picture of the audience and throws a pocketful of guitar picks into the crowd)

07. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
08. Nothingman
(Ed talks about being a fan of nature and jokes that last time they were here they played the park and this time they are playing in the garden. On one of his early visits he learned the story of the Leatherman)

09. Leatherman
10. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)
11. Garden
12. Even Flow
(Ed wants to dedicate the next song to Lance Corporal Tom Rorke. Rorke’s life was cut short last year dying at the age of twenty three. There are nearly a hundred people who are family and friends at the show this evening.)
13. Sirens (no outro)
14. Deep
15. Jeremy
16. Leash
17. Do The Evolution

Encore Break One
(Ed jokes that they aren’t leaving yet since they only have to drive to Canada and says New York or Canada?. He worries that he is insulting Canada before they even get there then wonders if they even have internet there yet.)

18. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away-(Lennon, McCartney)
19. All Or None
(Ed mentions that author of Tomas Young’s War, Mark Wilkerson, will be in Soho at New York’s Housing Works Bookstore Café with special guest Phil Donahue and others on May 4th at 2pm. He says it is an important book and we have to hold politicians responsible for their actions and that we have to make sure that our politicians don’t send our soldiers into harms way with an enemy we can’t see. The next song is dedicated to Tomas Young and other soldiers)

20. Pendulum
21. Present Tense
22. Breath (Ed hands the mic to an audience member at the barricade for some singing in the bridge)
23. State Of Love And Trust
24. Porch

Encore Break Two
(Ed compliments the audience for being so enthusiastic.)
25. Last Kiss-(Cochran) {played to 360}
(Ed talks about the amount of information we are subject to in the modern age as compared to the 17th century and how all of that information can wear you down. He talks about politicians spewing BS and promoting fear. He suggests that the networks like to make sure that elections go “all seven games” for ratings. He suggests that Bernie Sanders might be the best candidate but the press has a business to run. Ed describes the next song as one of the best ever that describes that feeling of being overwhelmed by all the bad news and fear mongering in the world.
26. Driven To Tears-(Sting). Special Guest Sting (Ed sings the top of the song then Sting comes out to sing the rest.)
“Let’s hear it one more time for my favorite singer, favorite bass player, favorite writer, favorite activist…”)
27. Lightning Bolt
28. Sonic Reducer-(Bators, Blitz, Chrome, Magnum, Thomas, Zero)
29. Alive
30. Baba O’Riley-(Townshend) (during the song Ed asks that a tambourine get passed to a kid. When someone snags it he snarls “give it to the kid you fuck”. The kid gets his tambourine.)
31. Yellow Ledbetter/Star Spangled Banner

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

Thanks John for the set list & notes.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,608
    edited May 2016
    Im not gonna troll out of bitterness that I was unable to attend these msg shows, as Im sure they were both great as most PJ shows are. And the setlist overall looks pretty nice for my taste, though a lot of repeats for a 2 night stand.

But...if I felt like taking a jab, Id say we got the album treatment for the one that started everything in Philly, and NY got Sting.

For real though. Great set, and I love me some Police.
    Post edited by Lifted on
  • Options
    adamg5adamg5 Posts: 774
    edited May 2016
    I Thought tonights Setlist was whack. I know cry me a river, can't please everyone blah blah....

I was hoping for something way different than last night. Lots of repeats.
    No light years, smile, no way, tremor Christ, ghost, in my tree, Love boat!? Wtf

Sting was cool and has an amazing voice.

Last night was miles ahead.
    Post edited by adamg5 on
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,608
    adamg5 said:

I Thought tonights Setlist was whack. I know cry me a river, can't please everyone blah blah....

There have certainly been better sets on the tour, but this show is in the running for best 1st encore if nothing else.
  • Options
    weremin23weremin23 Posts: 307
    edited May 2016
    The power cut outs during Porch reminded me of Meadowlands 06

Thought last night was better. Seemed a little off tonight but still an enjoyable show.
  • Options
    nothinasitseemsnothinasitseems New Jersey Posts: 1,507
    cheap trick. STING. PEARL JAM @ MSG! fuckin incredible 2 shows!
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • Options
    qq New York Posts: 97
    Not single Avocado song on its birthday. Not a single Binaural song in either night too. :angry:

Great to see All or None, so jealous of people who got to see that one! It was the only song played tonight from the 2000s!
  • Options
    Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 492
    It was a perfectly fine show but the repeats from both last night and Friday were surprising. Didn't compare to the first show, which was far superior.
  • Options
    Sad2113Sad2113 Posts: 35
    The setlist was weak! I was hoping for more B-sides/Rarities and something from Avocado at least WWS..It was cool that Sting and Cheap Trick made an appearance but last night's show overall was superior.
  • Options
    Lifted said:

adamg5 said:

There have certainly been better sets on the tour, but this show is in the running for best 1st encore if nothing else.
    I don't know about all that. The 1st encore started out great I'll give you that. I just don't get tonight's setlist, especially being at such an amazing magical place.

• Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Tonight the crowd was better than night 1 but everything else was not. The night suffered from multiple sound problems and a repeat setlist that was a little meh.
    It was ok, not amazing. A little disappointed for NYC, they deserved better.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options

Tonight the crowd was better than night 1 but everything else was not. The night suffered from multiple sound problems and a repeat setlist that was a little meh.
    It was ok, not amazing. A little disappointed for NYC, they deserved better.

Agreed. Crowd was louder and more energetic.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Nice dig at canada, ed.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 885
    Wow. I take back what I said about last night. Definitely attributing my lukewarm experience that night to a lame section. 213 was absolutely nuts tonight. NOW I get why MSG shows are so special. Wish I could remember your names, but that dude standing to the left of me who absolutely fucking lost it during Leash and that girl to my right from Minneapolis, thanks for making night 2 of my solo MSG experience awesome. Also all those disgruntled folks I met in the merch line this morning for making that experience tolerable. I was the short bearded dude who wore a grey Red Sox flat brim all weekend (was in Philly as well). Drop me a line. Would love to buy any of you your first beer if you ever make it out to Boston for a show. Great weekend! Can't wait to do it again.
  • Options
    JSBachJSBach Posts: 108
    What was great: garden, better man, encore 1, leash, guests.
    The only "issue" is that the setlist was average and repeating last 3 nights...
    Anyeay it's always eorth being at the Garden.

LK
    Sift everything, hold on to what is good!
  • Options
    Cheap Trick? Sting?

Fun.

Congrats people. You might not have gotten Parachutes or some other song to complete your personal checklist... but you got a rock show.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    MajLreapMajLreap Posts: 100
    Sound was terrible tonight. Had almost the exact same seats as last night but the sound was different. I've said this for years but get new sound people. I've seen a lot of big bands in big venues and Pearl Jam always seems to have all the levels wrong. So much feedback from the mic at the beginning which should just never happen. Also, Porch cutting out twice is so unnecessary. Come on..you're one of the greatest bands to walk the earth and it was amateur hour tonight as far as behind the scenes stuff goes. I've never left a show disappointed but tonight was the closest and it had little to do with the band. Granted the set looks better on paper. I thought Ed sounded horse and was pulling away from the mic a lot tonight but my biggest gripe was with the sound. Oh well.. I'm still glad I came to NYC because last night was great. I just really hope they fix their sound.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    edited May 2016
    Why do people think the band owes them an avacado song simply becase it's the anniversary of its release? Thanks God they,didn't play that album. But what do I know? I got wasted reprise into life wasted along with marker in columbia.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Wow, I thought the Philly shows deserve to be reshuffled into my top 5 but tonight's show needs consideration. I never EVER thought I'd see Sting again after I saw the police 9 years ago when they reunited. Absolute shock when he rolled out for about half a song then walked off like a boss. These last two philly shows and tonight have floored me. I might need to make a trip to Boston.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    MUZIKMUZIK Posts: 627
    A little disappointing compared to the first show but several highlights.

more importantly had 10c reserved in section in 108 and a good portion of it was VIP's who were either late to the show, sat down, or left early.

Terrible
    09.11.98, 08.24.00, 08.25.00, 04.30.03, 07.08.03, 07.08.03, 09.15.05, 09.16.05, 09.19.05, 09.30.05, 10.01.05, 05.12.06, 05.13.06, 05.25.06, 05.27.06, 05.28.06, 06.01.06, 06.03.06, 06.19.08, 06.20.08, 06.22.08, 06.24.08, 06.25.08, 06.27.08, 06.28.08, 06.30.08, 07.01.08, 08.05.08, 08.07.08, 10.27.09, 10.30.09, 10.31.09, 05.18.10, 05.20.10, 05.21.10, 10.15.13, 10.18.13, 10,19,13, 9.23.15, 9.26.15, 04.28.16, 04.29.16, 05.01.16, 05.02.16, 05.06.22, 05.07.22, 09.14.22
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 885
    MajLreap said:

Sound was terrible tonight. Had almost the exact same seats as last night but the sound was different. I've said this for years but get new sound people. I've seen a lot of big bands in big venues and Pearl Jam always seems to have all the levels wrong. So much feedback from the mic at the beginning which should just never happen. Also, Porch cutting out twice is so unnecessary. Come on..you're one of the greatest bands to walk the earth and it was amateur hour tonight as far as behind the scenes stuff goes. I've never left a show disappointed but tonight was the closest and it had little to do with the band. Granted the set looks better on paper. I thought Ed sounded horse and was pulling away from the mic a lot tonight but my biggest gripe was with the sound. Oh well.. I'm still glad I came to NYC because last night was great. I just really hope they fix their sound.

I think the issues with his voice were inevitable. These shows were on the backend of a 4 out for 5 night run in two of the biggest markets in the country.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Why do people think the band owes them an avacado song simply becase it's the anniversary of its release? Thanks God they,didn't play that album. But what do I know? I got wasted reprise into life wasted along with marker in columbia.

I dont get that either. The band has rarely recognized an anniversary. It really is no surprise it asnt mentioned.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    Not gonna bog the thread down with a long post, but I was pretty disappointed with tonight. Was fine overall, but there was no diversity at all. Was basically a less cool Philly 2. So much stuff left on the table with too many repeats from Sunday.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    mpar17mpar17 Posts: 161
    Way too much feedback, and porch getting cut off twice was a mess. The band must be furious with all the sound issues tonight.
    96 Hartford
    98 Hartford
    10 Hartford
    13 Hartford
    14 Denver
    16 MSG 1+2, Fenway 2
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    Fwiw, PA issues like what happened during Porch are rarely, if ever, caused by the crew. Those are technical problems, and they managed to fix it in the encore break
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    brianwilsonbrianwilson Posts: 406
    edited May 2016
    They should play the same set (w/ a couple changes every other night) like 95% of the bands that tour regularly.

I'll bet every member of the band or their crew has, once or twice, said to one another, "That show was fuckin' tight, we killed it tonight! Let's see if the fans heard what we heard from the stage."

Then they just laugh their asses off when they read a standard like, "Quite a few repeats tonight," etc. etc. etc.

It's embarrassing.
  • Options
    lkn72lkn72 Posts: 26

They should play the same set (w/ a couple changes every other night) like 95% of the bands that tour regularly.

I'll bet every member of the band or their crew has, once or twice, said to one another, "That show was fuckin' tight, we killed it tonight! Let's see if the fans heard what we heard from the stage."

Then they just laugh their asses off when they read a standard like, "Quite a few repeats tonight," etc. etc. etc.

It's embarrassing.

Well said!
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    I mean I guess I get some of the complaints but if you were lucky enough to go both, a lot of people could only go to one. You had to know when they told a lot of people one show or the other it was gonna be a lot of repeats. But that show was great, really very good. Leash!?! Present tense Into breath? Surrender And driven to tears covers with their respective guests? I'm tired from 4 in 5 days but if I can ever see shows like these again I'll be lucky.

Sure the sound cut out for a total of 8 seconds late but whatever. The other 2 hours 59 mins were great.

Please don't wait 6 more years to come back.
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Had fun. Great setlist for my friend's first show. Sound issues were inexcusable, didn't have these problems last night, wtf happened been then and now?
    Shocked to get TWO guest appearances in one night. Wouldn't say I was expecting cheap trick, but I knew they were playing at this random place in Astoria around the same time so I wasn't exactly surprised to see them either. My seats in 224 were better than I expected and the section was rocking.

Thanks for a great evening.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435