My newest songs (demos) - please check them out, let me know what you think (honest opinions)

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
edited October 2015 in Musicians and Gearheads

OLDER DEMO'S":

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Your chops are improving! "Things Unattended" sounds more like you if that makes sense. I love the Nirvana/Silverchair style influence throughout. Thanks for sharing this with us!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

Your chops are improving! "Things Unattended" sounds more like you if that makes sense. I love the Nirvana/Silverchair style influence throughout. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Thank you for checking them out :-)
    I am trying to move away from the Nirvana style, I keep getting told that my songs are like Nirvana, even when I play my acoustic songs at open mic nights. I listen to REM, Beatles, Bob Dylan a lot, so I don't know why those influences don't show.
    Yeah I have been told I am improving, even at my live performances.
    I am glad you liked it. Nice to know Things Unattended is more like me, I'll take note of that.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I really enjoyed Things Unattended. I can definitely hear the Nirvana influence, too.

A little advice I received years ago that really helped me to break the "obvious influence syndrome " was to play around with alternate tunings, effects and other instruments. Really, anything that helps you to write a song from a different perspective or a new approach. For example, a bass player will have different ideas for changes as opposed to a guitar player. It's really fun to write like that too.

Hope this helps.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:

I really enjoyed Things Unattended. I can definitely hear the Nirvana influence, too.

A little advice I received years ago that really helped me to break the "obvious influence syndrome " was to play around with alternate tunings, effects and other instruments. Really, anything that helps you to write a song from a different perspective or a new approach. For example, a bass player will have different ideas for changes as opposed to a guitar player. It's really fun to write like that too.

Hope this helps.

Thanks heaps dude. Wow I am flattered you like my song :-)

A song I have been working on since Tuesday last week, finally got around to recording a demo today. It's a song inspired by my good friend, a song about enduring friendship, individual goals in life and being there for the ride together as friends through thick and thin and against people telling you how you should live your lives. I aimed at making an uplifting song. I hope you like this.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Nice! I could see Eddie doing a cover of this at one of his solo shows.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:

Nice! I could see Eddie doing a cover of this at one of his solo shows.

Wow, that is a great compliment. Thank you :-)
    Well if Eddie is here and reading, cover my song! lol
    My new song, recorded today:

Diggin' it man! M.Ward vibe (and that's a good fucking thing in my book).
    www.cluthelee.com

Diggin' it man! M.Ward vibe (and that's a good fucking thing in my book).
    Awesome man, thank you! :)
    I have never heard of M.Ward, I will have to listen, which of his song(s) does mine have a vibe of so I can listen to it.

BTW, here is a version 2 of my song, I tightened the double tracked vocals, added EQ to my vocals and brought up the dB's on the guitar.

• rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    edited November 2015
    you are belting out and it sounds awesome (sunshine soul radiates)

"and yours must be beautiful"

edit: we are listening to it multiple times over here at our house on thanksgiving eve
    Post edited by rollings on
    Awesome! :-)
    Two more songs done this week.

Acoustic singer-songwrite type

Punk grunge type
    I like Invisible Man! You should set up some open mics and play these acoustic songs live!
    www.cluthelee.com

I like Invisible Man! You should set up some open mics and play these acoustic songs live!

Thank you.
    I have been playing my songs at open mics but have not done so for the past month or so.
    I've become scared to perform as I do not believe my songs are as good as other musicians songs on the open mic scene.

Thank you.
    I have been playing my songs at open mics but have not done so for the past month or so.
    I've become scared to perform as I do not believe my songs are as good as other musicians songs on the open mic scene.
    I think they are man - you just don't know it yet! Music isn't about one upping the guy who's next on stage. When you learn to master being intimidated by other musicians, you will be relaxed and dialed into your songs and that will come through when you play, trust me!
    www.cluthelee.com
    Thank you for your kind words.
    I don't know what's happened, I performed over 10 times at open mics without being too scared and all of a sudden became very embarrassed to be up on stage, I became very self conscious. I also hated my old songs and didn't want to perform them anymore. I have 2-3 that I might want to play, but I need another to make up the 20 minute time made available to perform.
    I also feel embarrassed singing about personal feelings.
    And with the other musicians, everyone I've seen play can sing and play guitar WAY better than me, I feel like I am embarrassing myself like some fool amongst musicians that can actually play.

I don't know what's happened, I performed over 10 times at open mics without being too scared and all of a sudden became very embarrassed to be up on stage, I became very self conscious. I also hated my old songs and didn't want to perform them anymore. I have 2-3 that I might want to play, but I need another to make up the 20 minute time made available to perform.
    And with the other musicians, everyone I've seen play can sing and play guitar WAY better than me, I feel like I am embarrassing myself like some fool amongst musicians that can actually play.

Think of where you'll be a year from now if you keep at it....music is always personal by the way, and anybody in the room you're playing in is more than likely there because they are interested to hear what you have to say through your music. Expressive arts aren't easy, but boy it feels flat out amazing inside to be able to share, connect, and really emote your true self in a way that, let's face it, not a whole hell of a lot of other people do. So what am I trying to say? Play!! It's good for your soul and that's all that matters.
    www.cluthelee.com

Think of where you'll be a year from now if you keep at it....music is always personal by the way, and anybody in the room you're playing in is more than likely there because they are interested to hear what you have to say through your music. Expressive arts aren't easy, but boy it feels flat out amazing inside to be able to share, connect, and really emote your true self in a way that, let's face it, not a whole hell of a lot of other people do. So what am I trying to say? Play!! It's good for your soul and that's all that matters.
    Thanks dude!
    My first effort for 2016, been busy with university studies so music has taken a back seat.
    I didn't warm up my vocals and have not been singing much this year so I am not that happy with how my singing turned out in this demo but was desperate to get something out. This was recorded live, not using any program. Honest thoughts?