Got questions about NYC/MSG shows? Post them here! New Yorkers please contribute!

Comments

• ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

Posted in the roll call thread accidentally.

Question for New Yorkers.... I'm considering driving in even though the nj transit is very easy from where I live. I really want a place to stash my stuff (merch etc) before the concert. It would be nice to return to my car to do so. if I park in a garage will I be able to return mid day to stash my stuff without taking my car out? Just weighing all the pros and cons. $$ for the Ez pass through the tunnel plus the garage versus $$ for parking in NJ plus the train ticket, what will be less hassle and get us home as quickly as possible etc. thx for any input.

As long as you park in a regular garage and not one of the ones where they put your car on a car shelf, it should be fine as long add you tell the guy web you dip it off that you'll be back in a while to put something in the trunk and maybe slip him a fiver at that time in addition to regular tip when you pick up your car.

Also, icon parking usually has Groupon deals, so check that out too.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    ldent42 said:

Posted in the roll call thread accidentally.

Question for New Yorkers.... I'm considering driving in even though the nj transit is very easy from where I live. I really want a place to stash my stuff (merch etc) before the concert. It would be nice to return to my car to do so. if I park in a garage will I be able to return mid day to stash my stuff without taking my car out? Just weighing all the pros and cons. $$ for the Ez pass through the tunnel plus the garage versus $$ for parking in NJ plus the train ticket, what will be less hassle and get us home as quickly as possible etc. thx for any input.

As long as you park in a regular garage and not one of the ones where they put your car on a car shelf, it should be fine as long add you tell the guy web you dip it off that you'll be back in a while to put something in the trunk and maybe slip him a fiver at that time in addition to regular tip when you pick up your car.

Also, icon parking usually has Groupon deals, so check that out too.
    Thank you. That's what i was thinking too
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • scornlanderscornlander Colorado Posts: 98
    edited April 2016
    Thanks for all of the great advice!
    Post edited by scornlander on
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    My hotel is right near times square. Where's the best spot in that area to get some NY style pizza?
  • DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259

My hotel is right near times square. Where's the best spot in that area to get some NY style pizza?

i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Staying at the Wingate by Wyndham N1 and the Paramount in Times Square N2. Not the most efficient plan but got them for reasonable prices.
    2013: Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG I, MSG II, Fenway I, Fenway II
    2018: Fenway I, Fenway II
  • wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    edited April 2016

John's Pizza is pretty good, stay away from Michael Scott's favorite NY pizza from the post above and the rest of the chains. lol

http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/

I should add that John's is more of a sit down place, if you want to just order a slice you can fold and walk with then Patzeria Pizza is your spot. There are lots of pizza places in the area, just stay away from the chain restaurants.
    Post edited by wall232 on
    NYPJ
  • nigelnigel Posts: 267
    Can I just re-iterate what a great thread this is for people coming to city for first time. I am flying in from London for my first ever PJ shows outside of Europe! Anyway - apologies if this has already been mentioned but Bob Mould is playing Webster Hall on Friday night - for anyone arriving early for a bit of sightseeing on the Saturday (like us!) he's brilliant live!!
  • UtahBoltUtahBolt Posts: 187
    ^^This. Thanks again to all the locals for the insight, this thread has been awesome! Man...bursting at the seams...can't wait to get on that plane Friday!
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    wall232 said:

John's Pizza is pretty good, stay away from Michael Scott's favorite NY pizza from the post above and the rest of the chains. lol

I should add that John's is more of a sit down place, if you want to just order a slice you can fold and walk with then Patzeria Pizza is your spot. There are lots of pizza places in the area, just stay away from the chain restaurants.
    Awesome. Will definitely check out Patzeria for a slice. Thanks for the info!

wall232 said:

I'm gonna pay devil's advocate and tell you to go to 2 Bros pizza (which is a chain) there's one near times sq but I'll be 100% honest here and admit that I don't remember exactly where it is, only that it was on the west side and that I jumped on the train at times sq 42nd st afterwards :lol:
    There's one around 34th & one around W4 that I know of, and it's damn good pizza lol
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,789
    MSG to The Village?
    Time?
    Distance?
    Means of travel? Can I walk it? Train it? Cab it? Rickshaw? Rollerblades?

How far is it from MSG to The Village?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    nigel said:

Can I just re-iterate what a great thread this is for people coming to city for first time. I am flying in from London for my first ever PJ shows outside of Europe! Anyway - apologies if this has already been mentioned but Bob Mould is playing Webster Hall on Friday night - for anyone arriving early for a bit of sightseeing on the Saturday (like us!) he's brilliant live!!

Some other shows that may be of interest:
    4/28: Thurston Moore at Rough Trade
    5/3: Tangiers Blues Band at Brooklyn Bowl (Danny Clinch's band, although he's at most but not all shows)
    5/3: AWOLNATION at Irving Plaza

MSG to The Village?
    Time?
    Distance?

You can take the 1 train down to Christopher Street, walk down to West 4th street and start your adventure there.
    NYPJ
    ldent42 said:

wall232 said:

I'm gonna pay devil's advocate and tell you to go to 2 Bros pizza (which is a chain) there's one near times sq but I'll be 100% honest here and admit that I don't remember exactly where it is, only that it was on the west side and that I jumped on the train at times sq 42nd st afterwards :lol:
    There's one around 34th & one around W4 that I know of, and it's damn good pizza lol
    I have heard 2 Bros has a good slice but haven't tried it. Maybe next time I'm in the area I'll give it a try.
    NYPJ
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,789
    wall232 said:

MSG to The Village?
    Time?
    Distance?

You can take the 1 train down to Christopher Street, walk down to West 4th street and start your adventure there.
    Distance from MSG to The Village?
    Travel time?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244

Here's what you do.
    Find some flimsy cardboard. Slather it in tomato sauce so it gets even flimsier. Melt some cheese on it with whatever desired topping you like. Dump a ton of grease on top.
    Boom.

New York pizza.

Just be sure to fold it because that's how pizza was meant to be eaten.

wall232 said:

MSG to The Village?
    Time?
    Distance?

Distance from MSG to The Village?
    Travel time?
    On the subway, about 10 minutes.
    NYPJ
    mca47 said:

Here's what you do.
    Find some flimsy cardboard. Slather it in tomato sauce so it gets even flimsier. Melt some cheese on it with whatever desired topping you like. Dump a ton of grease on top.
    Boom.

New York pizza.

Just be sure to fold it because that's how pizza was meant to be eaten.
    You must have eaten at Sbarros. A good thin crust pizza, nothing beats it..
    NYPJ
  • I posted to this thread earlier looking for advice on driving into the city or taking the train. Thanks to everyone who helped. Per the responses I'm planning to take the train in to grand central on Sunday morning or early afternoon (we have res seats for MSG1). That should be fine but I'm worried about getting home after the show. My wife and I haven't been to the city too often and I'm worried that we'll get lost getting home. For those who go into the city for concerts what's the best way to get from MSG to grand central late at night? I've never used Uber and it's been 20 years since I hailed a cab.

Also I'd like to do something nice for my wife for coming to the show with me. I don't want to run her ragged so are there any suggestions of what we can do in the area of MSG.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I want to make my first show at MSG ever (22nd Pearl Jam) a fantastic experience.
    Boston (4/10/94), Hartford (10/2/96), Barre (8/22/98), Hartford (9/13/98), Mansfield (9/15/98 + 9/16/98), Mansfield (8/29/00 + 8/30/00), Mansfield (7/2/03 + 7/11/03), Boston (9/28/04), Hartford (5/13/06), Boston (5/24/06 + 5/25/06), Hartford (6/27/08), Mansfield (6/28/08 + 6/30/08), Philadelphia (10/31/09), Hartford (5/15/10), Worcester (10/15/13 + 10/16/13), Hartford (10/25/13), New York (5/1/16), Boston (8/5/16 + 8/7/16), Boston (9/2/18 + 9/4/18)
    rssesq said:
    I love Franks Pepes, there is one in Yonkers which is a lot closer than New Haven, but the original is better.
    NYPJ
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    rssesq said:
    That looks awful to me, sorry...

I'm telling you people that you need to try a grandma slice!!!

what's the best way to get from MSG to grand central late at night? I've never used Uber and it's been 20 years since I hailed a cab.

With everyone pouring out of MSG at the same time, your best bet is to walk. It will take you about 20 minutes and it's perfectly safe. You won't get lost, that part of the city is on the grid. MSG is on the West side between 32nd/34th Street (streets run East/West) and 7th/8th Avenue (avenues run North/South). Grand Central is on the East side between 42nd/45th Street and and around Madison/Park Avenues. When you get out of MSG, make sure you are walking East and North. Even numbered streets generally run East.

Or pull up GoogleMaps (that's what I do, I'm going the wrong direction half the time :lol: )

Also I'd like to do something nice for my wife for coming to the show with me. I don't want to run her ragged so are there any suggestions of what we can do in the area of MSG.

How about afternoon tea before the show? The views from the Mandarin Oriental are stunning (overlooking Columbus Circle/Central Park), it's about 30 mins walk from MSG, or you can take the A or C trains (blue line) or 1 train (red line) and be there in 10-15 mins. It's way indulgent and probably more overpriced than it needs to be but it's a nice treat! That's my brilliant suggestion. Will let you know if I come up with anything else :) but if you do go the tea route you need to call ASAP for reservations.
  • schappschapp Posts: 160

How about afternoon tea before the show? The views from the Mandarin Oriental are stunning (overlooking Columbus Circle/Central Park), it's about 30 mins walk from MSG, or you can take the A or C trains (blue line) or 1 train (red line) and be there in 10-15 mins. It's way indulgent and probably more overpriced than it needs to be but it's a nice treat! That's my brilliant suggestion. Will let you know if I come up with anything else :) but if you do go the tea route you need to call ASAP for reservations.

Bergdof-Goodman also has a good afternoon tea with great views. Mandarin's view is awesome, but I prefer it for a classy drink than for afternoon tea... but now my wife will be curious about it, LOL :)
    schapp said:

Bergdof-Goodman also has a good afternoon tea with great views. Mandarin's view is awesome, but I prefer it for a classy drink than for afternoon tea... but now my wife will be curious about it, LOL :)

Ooh. I must try it!
  • Suziemay said:

schapp said:

Ooh. I must try it!

Thanks Suziemay and Schapp. Very helpful. Looking forward to the show. My first since Hartford '13.
    Boston (4/10/94), Hartford (10/2/96), Barre (8/22/98), Hartford (9/13/98), Mansfield (9/15/98 + 9/16/98), Mansfield (8/29/00 + 8/30/00), Mansfield (7/2/03 + 7/11/03), Boston (9/28/04), Hartford (5/13/06), Boston (5/24/06 + 5/25/06), Hartford (6/27/08), Mansfield (6/28/08 + 6/30/08), Philadelphia (10/31/09), Hartford (5/15/10), Worcester (10/15/13 + 10/16/13), Hartford (10/25/13), New York (5/1/16), Boston (8/5/16 + 8/7/16), Boston (9/2/18 + 9/4/18)
    Suziemay said:

nigel said:

5/3: Tangiers Blues Band at Brooklyn Bowl (Danny Clinch's band, although he's at most but not all shows)
    Suzie May. You are my hero. I've been devastated about missing Awolnation cuz that grid thing got cancelled, I hadn't heard about this. XOXIXOXO :hug:
    ldent42 said:

Suziemay said:

nigel said:

Suzie May. You are my hero. I've been devastated about missing Awolnation cuz that grid thing got cancelled, I hadn't heard about this. XOXIXOXO :hug:
    Oh good! I'm glad that worked out. I happen to see it on Twitter which was fortuitous :peace:
    Do you happen to know where I can get ground coriander and cardamom too cuz then I'm convinced you're an Oracle :lol: