Brian Fallon

ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
edited March 2016 in Other Music
The guy deserves his own thread. Can't wait for Painkillers

Comments

• marjenmarjen CT Posts: 792
    Agreed. Loving all the songs I have heard so far. Cant wait for Friday.
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    Saw him last night at the electric factory in Philly. Show was very good, he sounded great and the band was tight. The Horrible Crowes songs certainly sounded more polished to me, but all of the new stuff was really good too. He even threw in AC by Bruce which people went nuts for. The venue (holds like 2500-3k) was a little over half full, but it was a good crowd. Came on around 940, off right before 11. Excited to hear the album cover to cover on Friday.
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I'm going mad in anticipation for this record. Friday, a proper leak, or my vinyl pre-order can't get here soon enough!
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    listening now. not a huge departure. i like it.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    As I mentioned on the other thread, I'm a late arrival to the Gaslight party, but once I fall for a band, I fall hard.

I've been binge catching up on all Brian Fallon projects for the last year or so. I've heard the four or five songs from Painkillers that have already been released and really, really like them.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
    I'm really digging the songs that have been released. "A Wonderful Life" sounds like a Springsteen track from The River. "Nobody Wins"...man, what can I say about that song. It cuts me like a knife. I'm trying to find out if the chorus is "Oh I'll never see you again" or "I hope I never see you again"...or both
  • vedder6vedder6 Posts: 86
    I was also at the show last night at the Electric Factory. I thought he sounded great. Loved the extended jam on A Wonderful LIfe. Looking forward to hear the rest of the album on Friday.
    47 shows and counting.
  • FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095

As I mentioned on the other thread, I'm a late arrival to the Gaslight party, but once I fall for a band, I fall hard.

I've been binge catching up on all Brian Fallon projects for the last year or so. I've heard the four or five songs from Painkillers that have already been released and really, really like them.

Have you gone back to his before Gaslight Days? Some really good (And alot of really bad) demos floating around. This Charming Man, Surrogate McKenzie, Amping Copper, The Coffeehouse Sessions.

I cannot wait to get home from work tonight and listen to the new songs!
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    I theoretically love this new album that's not out until Friday....

I'm really digging the songs that have been released. "A Wonderful Life" sounds like a Springsteen track from The River. "Nobody Wins"...man, what can I say about that song. It cuts me like a knife. I'm trying to find out if the chorus is "Oh I'll never see you again" or "I hope I never see you again"...or both

It's "hope I never see you again" ... has to be ... because goddamn that's a cold-ass song.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    yes! can't wait.

I was very bummed he didn't tour anywhere near.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    FrankieG said:

Have you gone back to his before Gaslight Days? Some really good (And alot of really bad) demos floating around. This Charming Man, Surrogate McKenzie, Amping Copper, The Coffeehouse Sessions.

I have not.

My affair with Gaslight began in 2014, when Pearl Jam played ACL Fest. As I usually do, I began to investigate other bands on the bill.

I gravitated to Gaslight almost immediately, especially after I started calling up some of their lyrics. I found that every song had at least one line that stabbed me in the guts.

I like that.

I still didn't know many Gaslight songs when they took the stage that festival. It was a crash course. But I still dug them.

I kept with them after the show, falling deeper and deeper into various YouTube rabbit holes.

Then one day my wife, whose taste in music (God bless her) I do not often share, told me one day about this band called The Horrible Crowes. I dismissed her immediately, thinking it was just some other weirdly named band she'd found on the Weirdly Named Band station on Sirius.

But I kind of liked them.

It was literally weeks before I found out it was the guy from the Gaslight Anthem. I have only barely dipped my toes into Molly and the Zombies -- which is odd because, frankly, that brand of music is playing right in my wheelhouse right now.

Fast forward a few months, and I'm listening to like four Brian Fallon songs over ... and over ... and over ... and over ... and over ...

Like I said, I fall hard.
  • jeff2040jeff2040 Des Moines, IA Posts: 1,586
    Do we think the CD/vinyl will arrive tomorrow? I haven't received any shipping notification yet.
    Sometimes you find yourself
    Having to put all your faith
    In no faith
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    my copy shipped yesterday from amazon canada and they said it will be here tomorrow. so excited for this.
    Mine is shipping today. Figure it won't arrive until monday, but at least I can listen online tomorrow. Cant wait to have it on repeat all day.

FrankieG said:

I have not.

My affair with Gaslight began in 2014, when Pearl Jam played ACL Fest. As I usually do, I began to investigate other bands on the bill.

I gravitated to Gaslight almost immediately, especially after I started calling up some of their lyrics. I found that every song had at least one line that stabbed me in the guts.

I like that.

I still didn't know many Gaslight songs when they took the stage that festival. It was a crash course. But I still dug them.

I kept with them after the show, falling deeper and deeper into various YouTube rabbit holes.

Then one day my wife, whose taste in music (God bless her) I do not often share, told me one day about this band called The Horrible Crowes. I dismissed her immediately, thinking it was just some other weirdly named band she'd found on the Weirdly Named Band station on Sirius.

It was literally weeks before I found out it was the guy from the Gaslight Anthem. I have only barely dipped my toes into Molly and the Zombies -- which is odd because, frankly, that brand of music is playing right in my wheelhouse right now.

Fast forward a few months, and I'm listening to like four Brian Fallon songs over ... and over ... and over ... and over ... and over ...

Haha That's an awesome story! Similar thing happened to me, I was big into Gaslight and kinda ignored The Horrible Crowes stuff until the hiatus was official and Brian started writing Painkillers. But since then, i have been listening to THC and MATZ alot.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
    jeff2040 said:

Do we think the CD/vinyl will arrive tomorrow? I haven't received any shipping notification yet.

I have seen pictures of vinyl on facebook from someone who had it shipped, so today is a possibility if you are lucky.

PS Its soooo good. :sunglasses::joy:
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Listening to some of this on YouTube right now. Good stuff. Pissed I didn't know about the Electric Factory show.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    FrankieG said:

FrankieG said:

I have not.

I like that.

Haha That's an awesome story! Similar thing happened to me, I was big into Gaslight and kinda ignored The Horrible Crowes stuff until the hiatus was official and Brian started writing Painkillers. But since then, i have been listening to THC and MATZ alot.
    Same here. Have really gotten into The Horrible Crowes and MATZ over the past few months.
    Listening now. I so far don't like the new Long Drives as much as the MATZ version as I LOVED that version. But I am sure it will grow on me like Smoke did. Otherwise such a great album. Very very solid.
    I'm gonna disagree with you on Long Drives. I think Catherine Popper's vocal harmonies are fantastic on the record. It's probably one of my favorites on the record.
    I liked the tempo much better on the original version. Like I said it will probably grow on me, but in certain parts it sounds like a totally different song.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Really like it after 1 listen. I'm really loving this version of Long Drives. Good stuff.
    The two I had not heard that are sticking out right now are Rosemary and Among other Foolish Things. Two excellent songs. Of course many others but those I had not or do not recall hearing. Like the new version of Red Lights too.

I'm gonna disagree with you on Long Drives. I think Catherine Popper's vocal harmonies are fantastic on the record. It's probably one of my favorites on the record.

I'm with you on Long Drives. Not the consensus but watch people will come around on it.

That, Mojo Hand, Open All Night and Nobody Wins are my favorites right now.

Love the whole album and vibe. Feel like he made the exact album he needed to make.
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    Just listened to the album for the first time

Its a great album, dont get me wrong, but I dont think it has that appeal thatll make me keep going back and listening to it over and over like a few of the Gaslight albums had

Thats just me though. Good songs, but nothing that makes me want more.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    edited March 2016
    Went to the show at Starland last night. I've seen Gaslight and Fallon (in whatever capacity) more than any band the last 6 years, even PJ. Helps that I live in Jersey of course.

That being said (besides maybe the 2011 Convetion Hall show, where there weren't supporting an album and Bruce showed up) last night might have been the absolute best performance by Fallon I've seen. His voice, guitar playing and energy were at peak levels.

I saw this tour in January and while that was great, not knowing half the songs had an effect on the show, the crowd and the band. (A common Gaslight mistake of touring right before an album comes out). Last night that wasn't a problem. The new songs sounded great. The crowd was really into it and the band was on fire. Of course it helped that it was in Jersey, it was Saturday and it was at (what I think) the best local music venue around.

The real reason I'm posting is because having seen The Horrible Crowes live and Fallon doing HC songs solo acoustically so I'm just giving heads up that this band last night took those HC songs to another level.

As much as I like this new album (it's really good) and LOVE Gaslight. The HC album is Fallons best work. He absolutely destroyed with those songs last night. I highly recommend if your a fan of Elsie making sure you check out this tour.

Also, he absolutely nailed National Anthem last night. Found these on YT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adIgz0RJKoc&sns=tw

Go Tell Everybody
    http://youtu.be/NyxB0pMAxdE

I agree, Brian played very well at the Starland show. You can tell he was so happy to be playing for the hometown crowd, and that showed in his energy.

I have been listening to the new album (not quite) non-stop since Thursday, and I think it's very good. Not a TGA album, but definitley a Brian Album.
    Everybody's hurt and mine aint the worst
    But it's mine and I'm feeling it now

Damn.
  • jambayleafjambayleaf Posts: 644
    Seeing him Saturday. What kind of merch is at these shows?
    So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
    You're batman!- George
    Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer