Options

Brand new vinyl cracks… Why?

So I brush my new vinyl before I listen to it. I still get some crack and pops through my speakers…

My turntable is new, Project Debut Carbon w/Ortophon cartridge.

All connections and grounds are secure.

Should I be cleaning my records and needle before I listen?

Thanks

Christopher

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    did you drop it on the floor maybe?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

hahahaha! Says the "juggler"

No opened it up, placed it on the platter, brushed it but I still hear some pops.

Looking for other ideas?
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279

No opened it up, placed it on the platter, brushed it but I still hear some pops.

Looking for other ideas?
    I'm fresh outta ideas on this one. Sorry. Maybe someone else can chime in??!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124

Looking for other ideas?
    Sure...

Sounds like you have a defective vinyl.

I SAID IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A DEFECTIVE VINYL
  • Options
    rollings said:

Looking for other ideas?
    Sure...

Awful... Thanks...
  • Options
    rollings said:

Looking for other ideas?
    Sure...

HAHAHAHA!!! I just realized the caps lock was on!!! HAHAHAHAHAH
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,846
    This sometimes happens to me too, which is super frustrating.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    This happens with a few of my vinyls. I have the same TT and the ort red. Probably the same setup as you. Does it happen on every record or just a few? I hear some crackles on my Vitalogy for some reason, but most records are silent.
    Do you live in a very dry area? I've heard that using the acrylic platter can really help on the static. I will likely be adding that. One other possibility could be the preamp itself. If it's on every record, I would definitely try a new pre-amp. Maybe order from Amazon and try it out.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    how was it shipped & was the album warped at all?

the needle, is it made in hong kong or toyko? A-6 brand?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719

So I brush my new vinyl before I listen to it. I still get some crack and pops through my speakers…

My turntable is new, Project Debut Carbon w/Ortophon cartridge.

All connections and grounds are secure.

Should I be cleaning my records and needle before I listen?

Thanks

Christopher

I've always gone with the idea that all vinyl should be cleaned first due to manufacturing residues etc. I use a Spin Clean system which works great. That said, new vinyl can be very frustrating depending on the label/ manufacturer. Just this evening, I spun a brand new, carefully cleaned copy of "1969: The Velvet Underground Live With Lou Reed". Great music, horrible pressing. And yes, the tape source was not great but I'm referring to the actual vinyl pressing. I'm noticing more and more that reissues and new vinyl can be very problematic. See more on that here:

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/202416/vinyl-show-your-best-worst-sounding#latest
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

This happens with a few of my vinyls. I have the same TT and the ort red. Probably the same setup as you. Does it happen on every record or just a few? I hear some crackles on my Vitalogy for some reason, but most records are silent.
    Do you live in a very dry area? I've heard that using the acrylic platter can really help on the static. I will likely be adding that. One other possibility could be the preamp itself. If it's on every record, I would definitely try a new pre-amp. Maybe order from Amazon and try it out.

I have an acrylic platter too.

It was the one record. Everything else I've played is ok.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631

mrussel1 said:

I have an acrylic platter too.

It was the one record. Everything else I've played is ok.
    Ohh... I thought you were saying it was happening all the time, not one vinyl. Yeah, bad vinyl I suppose.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    which record is it - I would take it / ship it back
  • Options

which record is it - I would take it / ship it back

Too late now. It was one of the DMB live trax.

I'm going to try cleaning it.

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Try cleaning it up and see what happens.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    STATIC sucks.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    Yes, it's likely static. But a real cleaning is also a good idea. I don't normally clean my brand new records because I'm lazy, but if there is crackling I'll wash it immediately, since that takes care of both static and any dirt/dust that might be stuck on it. I don't feel like a brush does much of anything, FWIW.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Sometimes when I get what seems like excess crackle I clean the needle with some LP #9 from Record Research Lab. Just a few drops on the bush and a few gentle, light brushing from back to front of needle only does it. One little 1/2 oz. bottle/brush kit lasts a long time. It helps some of those times and it's a good thing to do occasionally anyway.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Gotta love the nuances of vinyl.

Static, Pops, Non-fill
  • Options
    Yeah, I thought that was what made Vinyl so waem and fuzzy for people... The pops and hissing... Go back to CD's if you want clean sound I guess.
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited February 2016

Yeah, I thought that was what made Vinyl so waem and fuzzy for people... The pops and hissing... Go back to CD's if you want clean sound I guess.

Nope, that is not at all what appeals to vinyl collectors. Ideally, a record should have no pops and no hissing. That is always the goal, and definitely the expectation with brand new records.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Nope, that is not at all what appeals to vinyl collectors. Ideally, a record should have no pops and no hissing. That is always the goal, and definitely the expectation with brand new records.
    Totally agree. Records can be made to sound very clean and clear. And what is kind of a bummer is that older records, especially 50's and 60's that were well kept (or if you're really lucky or wealthy, are still sealed) sound great because they had deeper, fatter grooves and almost always sound great. I'm not sure there as many good record pressing plants around these days. That's what I'm told anyway. Vinyl should and can be an amazing listening source.

• Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224