Some facts for the Obama haters

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    JimmyV said:

Looks like we lost the Scalia thread for some reason? I'll just leave this here instead:

There you the proof but you know the haters will be spewing their garbage that he was golfing instead ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562

JimmyV said:

Looks like we lost the Scalia thread for some reason? I'll just leave this here instead:

There you the proof but you know the haters will be spewing their garbage that he was golfing instead ...
    "That couple could be anybody!"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Free said:

JimmyV said:

"That couple could be anybody!"
    Yeah ok ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    I was joking. ;)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    More (like anyone doubts it) evidence that Republican leaders have worked all along to thwart Obama's efforts in his presidency. The latest, of course, trying to hold off the Scalia replacement.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mitch-mcconnell-antonin-scalia_us_56c7707ee4b0ec6725e28291
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    brianlux said:

More (like anyone doubts it) evidence that Republican leaders have worked all along to thwart Obama's efforts in his presidency. The latest, of course, trying to hold off the Scalia replacement.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mitch-mcconnell-antonin-scalia_us_56c7707ee4b0ec6725e28291

They made it clear from day 1. Republicans in the Senate and congress fight against democracy and frankly are disgusting human beings. They are sinking lower and lower by supporting Trump. It's a clown show of epic proportions. I would laugh if it wasn't so impportant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-A09a_gHJc
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

Smellyman said:

brianlux said:

They made it clear from day 1. Republicans in the Senate and congress fight against democracy and frankly are disgusting human beings. They are sinking lower and lower by supporting Trump. It's a clown show of epic proportions. I would laugh if it wasn't so impportant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-A09a_gHJc
    Definitely hard to laugh about and yes, right there in living color 7 seconds.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited February 2016
    Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook
    February 19, 2016

MR. COOK: We've made clear that we need to confront ISIL wherever it rears its head. They have posted direct threat to United States. They have encouraged attacks against the United States and our -- and our allies, and we're going to continue to confront it to protect our national security.

And this was an instance where we saw an opportunity to strike at ISIL in Libya, and we carried out that strike. And we feel -- we feel confident this was a successful strike.

Q: But Peter, under what authority was this strike carried out? There is no AUMF for ISIS in Libya, no Americans were killed in the two attacks in Tunisia.

Under what authority?

MR. COOK: Well, again, we've struck in Libya previously, under the existing use of force, the authorization for the use of military force.

Q: In 2001, against Al Qaida?

MR. COOK: Yes, specifically. And this -- in our targeting of Chouchane in this instance.

And we believe that this was based on -- was legal under international law.

Q: But you're saying that you're using the 2001 AUMF against Al Qaida to go after ISIS in Libya (2016)?

MR. COOK: Specifically, again, as a -- the use of military force against ISIL is authorized by the 2001 authorization for the use of military force, specifically. Just as it was -- as we used it in our previous strike in Libya.
    Post edited by JC29856 on
    COMBINED!

The Obama administration has used the Espionage Act to target whistle-blowers more than all other presidents combined — “three times more".
    2008 - Obama wants to close Gitmo
    2016 - Obama wants to close Gitmo
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Not closing Gitmo was one campaign promise I was always glad Obama didn't keep.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    JimmyV said:

..... So you're glad he's trying to close it?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    JC29856 said:

COMBINED!

The Obama administration has used the Espionage Act to target whistle-blowers more than all other presidents combined — “three times more".

This is one of things I really don't like about Obama.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    JC29856 said:

And it never happened because of republican congress being butthurt that a white Texan war criminal they love is replaced by a black democrat.

You're welcome.

It's called civics class. You should enroll sometime.
    PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

Yeah, I guess my grammar was pretty poor there. :wink:

No...I don't think he needs to close it nor does it need to be closed.

edited February 2016
    JimmyV said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

It's not a huge issue for me, but why does the US need it to be where it is, if not to skirt US law? That's the problem I have with it. I think they should close Gitmo, but not before they build a replacement in the continental USA, where they are more bound to US law. They do need a place where these kinds of prisoners are kept, but not in this way. It's just shady.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

It's not a huge issue for me, but why does the US need it to be where it is, if not to skirt US law? That's the problem I have with it. I think they should close Gitmo, but not before they build a replacement in the continental USA, where they are more bound to US law. They do need a place where these kinds of prisoners are kept, but not in this way. It's just shady.
    I would prefer they were not brought into the continental US which is why I have never minded this place not being closed. Does it seem shady? Yeah, probably...but maybe necessarily so.

JimmyV said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

I would prefer they were not brought into the continental US which is why I have never minded this place not being closed. Does it seem shady? Yeah, probably...but maybe necessarily so.
    I prefer a government to uphold their own laws.
    edited February 2016

JC29856 said:

And it never happened because of republican congress being butthurt that a white Texan war criminal they love is replaced by a black democrat.

You're welcome.

It's called civics class. You should enroll sometime.
    Ignoring congressional recesses....It could take 1 ( maybe 2) day to close Gitmo, Obama had 72 filibuster free days to close Gitmo.

I forgot to mention that it was a first 100 days promise.
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    fact-

obama could make a recess appointment to the supreme court.

why doesn't he just do that?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

fact-

Not strategic enough, make them look like the obstructionist pigs they are, THEN make a recess appointment.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,620
    edited February 2016
    Hola!

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

rgambs said:

fact-

Not strategic enough, make them look like the obstructionist pigs they are, THEN make a recess appointment.
    he still has 300 days left as president. i mean, his term is essentially over already, why waste time making them look like obstructionists?

they do a good enough job of that on their own.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

rgambs said:

fact-

he still has 300 days left as president. i mean, his term is essentially over already, why waste time making them look like obstructionists?

Nominate a moderate republican, sit back and laugh while the try to squirm out of that shit somehow
    my2hands said:

rgambs said:

fact-

Nominate a moderate republican, sit back and laugh while the try to squirm out of that shit somehow
    there is no squirming. they just refuse to hold meetings/hearings and then refuse to answer questions from the media.

it is very hold to hold people accountable or make them squirm when they absolutely refuse to do their fucking job.

"Brutal dictators"

President Obama banned torture in the first week of his presidency. Citing his desire to “look forward, not backward,” however, he has declined to prosecute the senior officials responsible, and has used the state secrets privilege to block lawsuits from torture victims.

With Obama shielding U.S. officials from criminal and civil liability, former detainees are turning to international courts for justice – but the Obama administration is not cooperating. In 2012, the judge in Benchellali and Sassi’s case requested U.S. government documents related to the plaintiffs’ detentions, but got no response.
    JC29856 said:

"Brutal dictators"

President Obama banned torture in the first week of his presidency. Citing his desire to “look forward, not backward,” however, he has declined to prosecute the senior officials responsible, and has used the state secrets privilege to block lawsuits from torture victims.

With Obama shielding U.S. officials from criminal and civil liability, former detainees are turning to international courts for justice – but the Obama administration is not cooperating. In 2012, the judge in Benchellali and Sassi’s case requested U.S. government documents related to the plaintiffs’ detentions, but got no response.

of course.

it is not a crime when our guys do it. only when theirs torture our people.

The Obama administration has long called itself the most transparent administration in history. But newly released Department of Justice (DOJ) documents show that the White House has actually worked aggressively behind the scenes to scuttle congressional reforms designed to give the public better access to information possessed by the federal government.

https://news.vice.com/article/it-took-a-foia-lawsuit-to-uncover-how-the-obama-administration-killed-foia-reform
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    "Real power means you can get what you want without having to exert violence"
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited March 2016
    This is such a phenomenal article. I view it as very positive but certainly understand that it will be inteperted differently by his critics.

It also makes me very nervous about Hillary.

I very much appreciate how smart and pragmatic Obama is. Well worth the read by everyone

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/04/the-obama-doctrine/471525/