Options

What's better Apple or PC?

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
I am considering buying an Apple laptop.
I've never owned a laptop, always a Windows PC.
My PC is currently having major issues since upgrading to Windows 10.
I need my PC working for university.

Is Apple better than PC?

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Different people will argue different points with this. This one is generally black and white. For me, I'm an iMac girl. I had huge issues with my PC with functionality and continually eating worms and virus'. I've had a few minor tweaking with the iMac over the years, but nothing at all in comparison to the PC.

Once you go Mac, you never go back.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I love my PC, never cared much for a Mac. Some people claim the Mac is more intuitive, but I think this is a subjective thing. If you start on a Mac, you find that more easy, same goes for a PC. Plus, with a PC you get more for the buck. I never had major issues with my PC at all, it all comes down to mainenance, in my opinion. I even disassembled my PC when I moved from Germany to the States, and rebuild it here with a new casing. No probs whatsoever :) Look for refurbshed ones in computer stores, you might get a better price but they still have a guarantee.

What is your problem with Windows 10? I upgraded without any issues.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938

I love my PC, never cared much for a Mac. Some people claim the Mac is more intuitive, but I think this is a subjective thing. If you start on a Mac, you find that more easy, same goes for a PC. Plus, with a PC you get more for the buck. I never had major issues with my PC at all, it all comes down to mainenance, in my opinion. I even disassembled my PC when I moved from Germany to the States, and rebuild it here with a new casing. No probs whatsoever :) Look for refurbshed ones in computer stores, you might get a better price but they still have a guarantee.

What was interesting was getting my grandmother set up with computers (she's 89 now). We bought her her first one ever (Windows XP) about fifteen years ago. A year ago we switched her to a Mac. The PC took her in the realm of several years to get the hang of - the Mac, a few months. She hated it at first and wanted us to take it back and said it was useless, but shortly after it was amazing to see how she'd gotten the hang of it.

As Leezestar said, this is subjective. I personally use both at work (Mac, and a virtual PC within it), and see positives and negatives to both. The Mac side is better for if you want it just to 'be right' straight away. I find the PC side is more malleable, but takes more time investment to set it up the way you want. If you don't think of yourself as a tinkerer, I'd honestly just go Mac.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options

I keep getting a 'failed to connect to Windows group policy pop up upon logging in', I can't run Windows update, I can't open Start or Search, I cannot run command prompt to try fix issues as per instructions on YouTube, it is very slow to shut down, it feels sluggish in general, I cannot open Microsoft Edge anymore, I cannot open calculator anymore, I cannot right click on programs on the taskbar to quickly access recent files, I cannot right click file explorer to open a new explorer window. In general because I cannot open Start menu or command prompt I cannot even try fixing it.
    My PC is 7 years old now, I built it myself and it was fine until the free upgrade from Windows 7.
    This is the worst Windows I've experienced. Full of issues, errors, bugs.
    A guy I spoke to at a computer store suggested I do a full re-install as often file corruption occurs when upgrading from a previous Windows.
    I only upgraded because I kept getting a pop up asking me to upgrade and it said my PC met system requirements.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    One of my friends said once he switched to Mac he hasn't gone back to PC.
    My sister and her family are huge fans of Mac and wouldn't go back to PC either.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    benjs said:

What was interesting was getting my grandmother set up with computers (she's 89 now). We bought her her first one ever (Windows XP) about fifteen years ago. A year ago we switched her to a Mac. The PC took her in the realm of several years to get the hang of - the Mac, a few months. She hated it at first and wanted us to take it back and said it was useless, but shortly after it was amazing to see how she'd gotten the hang of it.

As Leezestar said, this is subjective. I personally use both at work (Mac, and a virtual PC within it), and see positives and negatives to both. The Mac side is better for if you want it just to 'be right' straight away. I find the PC side is more malleable, but takes more time investment to set it up the way you want. If you don't think of yourself as a tinkerer, I'd honestly just go Mac.
    I am definitely not a tinkerer, I am not that computer savvy.
    All I want is great sound as I have Creative 2.1 speakers running off a Creative soundcard, I listen to music quite often on my PC and use it to create my song demos.
    I am not a gamer.
    I pretty much want it for university homework and music.
    I want to use an LED monitor and keyboard, mouse when working from home, not used to laptop touch pad and keyboard.
  • Options
    So I got myself a Macbook Pro!
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

So glad to hear it! My friend has one of those and absolutely loves it. Congratulations!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited February 2016
    I have used both, and I prefer Windows by far. I just don't like a lot of Apple features, namely the compatibility issues that Apple brings (on purpose). As far as things being intuitive go... I really see no difference either way. Obviously you need to get used to them either way, but once you do, I feel like both interfaces are just fine, and pretty much the same at their cores. But Mac is better for certain things. If you're doing shit like graphic design or serious intranet building and whatnot Mac is almost certainly the way to go. If you're just using it for word processing, internet browsing, emailing, youtubing, excel sheets, music organization, and more normal stuff like that, then Windows is better IMHO. However, I don't think Windows 10 is any good. I haven't upgraded on the advice of our IT department, and don't plan to unless Microsoft makes it better. Windows 7 is still working great for me.
    As someone else mentioned, Mac is very expensive.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited February 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

Having owned both Macs and Windows-based computers, my rebuttal to this is that yes, a Mac will be a bigger initial investment. That last word is key. Investment. My first iMac lasted nearly 10 years, bought it January 06. It still works just fine computing wise, but the screen has gone bad and only displays about 64 colors at any given time. Now, in the 10 years prior to owning that iMac, I had to buy 3 Windows-based computers at around $1000 each. So, at least in my experience, a Mac is half the cost over the same period of time.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Maybe they got shittier :lol: I had my windows computers forever. But I always got into them and upgraded parts and stuff. Like I said, I even diassembled my computer in Germany and brought the parts over here and rebuilt my computer. I needed it to work quickly. I did not know when my container would arrive and it was too heavy to bring on the plane in one pice. I am actually happy now that I did not put it in the container, cause that thing was flooded by hurricane Katrina.

I am glad you made a decision and I hope you are gonna be happy with it. A good working system is irreplaceable!

As for what PJ_Soul said about Windows 10... I loved Windows 7 just fine, but I always love to upgrade, and I did once I knew all my software would work on it. So far, no problems at all.
  • Options
    deadendp said:

So glad to hear it! My friend has one of those and absolutely loves it. Congratulations!
    Thank you! A big hit on the pocket but I needed it.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I have used both, and I prefer Windows by far. I just don't like a lot of Apple features, namely the compatibility issues that Apple brings (on purpose). As far as things being intuitive go... I really see no difference either way. Obviously you need to get used to them either way, but once you do, I feel like both interfaces are just fine, and pretty much the same at their cores. But Mac is better for certain things. If you're doing shit like graphic design or serious intranet building and whatnot Mac is almost certainly the way to go. If you're just using it for word processing, internet browsing, emailing, youtubing, excel sheets, music organization, and more normal stuff like that, then Windows is better IMHO. However, I don't think Windows 10 is any good. I haven't upgraded on the advice of our IT department, and don't plan to unless Microsoft makes it better. Windows 7 is still working great for me.

Windows 10 is garbage. I have never had so many problems with my PC since I upgraded to it. I spoke to the sales guy where I bought my Mac and he is well aware of that issue and has had customers coming in wanting to go Mac.
  • Options
    I have bought in addition to my mac, a Samsung LED 22" screen as I am using my Mac in closed clamshell mode when at home, put an order on a Creative Omni external sound card so I can use my Creative 2.1 sound again (sucks having no good sound), a 4 port USB hub.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

As for what PJ_Soul said about Windows 10... I loved Windows 7 just fine, but I always love to upgrade, and I did once I knew all my software would work on it. So far, no problems at all.

Windows 7 is awesome!
  • Options
    LetsGoMteersLetsGoMteers New Bern, NC Posts: 157
    Apple Master Race
    2016 Columbia, SC
  • Options

Apple Master Race

Mein fuhrer Steve Jobs
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Pick the right device for the job, and for you. Fan boy brand loyalists rarely will be able to provide good advice since they are not able to objectively look at all factors. I have an iPhone, and Andriod tablet, a Windows laptop and a Windows desktop. Whatever works for your situation when considering functionality, price, performance, and build quality may be different than what someone else needs. The answer to the OP's original question "Is Apple better than PC?" is "It depends".
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    jeffbr said:

Pick the right device for the job, and for you. Fan boy brand loyalists rarely will be able to provide good advice since they are not able to objectively look at all factors. I have an iPhone, and Andriod tablet, a Windows laptop and a Windows desktop. Whatever works for your situation when considering functionality, price, performance, and build quality may be different than what someone else needs. The answer to the OP's original question "Is Apple better than PC?" is "It depends".

+1
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    jeffbr said:

Are you a Data Base Administrator by chance?
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options

jeffbr said:

No, but have DBAs working for me. I manage a data center, and manage an IT org and a tech support org.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

No, but have DBAs working for me. I manage a data center, and manage an IT org and a tech support org.
    I was close. The "It depends" gave it away :lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options

jeffbr said:

jeffbr said:

I was close. The "It depends" gave it away :lol:
    :lol I didn't realize it was so transparent. D'oh!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,835
    Building your very own customized PC is the best way, imo. With a customized PC, the possibilities are endless.