Post your stereo system!

This might be slightly/completely off topic, but anyway... It's sort of a gearhead topic too, even if it's not about guitars or drumheads. :)
With all the vinyl collectors and music lovers on the board, there has to be some cool stereo setups around. Let's see 'em! It'll be fun.

I'll start:

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    In my old Jeep Cherokee and then my Grand Cherokee 5.9, I had a 100 watt Kenmore amp with two JL 12"subs. Was pretty good but took it out a few years ago when I got on the FD. Just didn't need that much sound in my vehicle. But those college days were good---blasted some Nsync, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, the occasional crap rap tune or some classic Incubus (when I wanted to feel high school nostalgic)...but Pearl Jam and Nsync were pretty common.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • wgwg Posts: 411
    THAT is how you start a thread! Very nice!
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Fairly new editions to the system. These are my new Monitor Audio Bronze 5 floor standing speakers to replace my Polk Audio RTiA bookshelves. I did a lot of research into what to get in my price range and these were hard to go past, very good online reviews. I demoed a few other brands, but these came out on top for strong sound quality and looks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Turntable - Rega RP3.
    Amplifier - Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20.
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • photo Image 2_zpsfoqzqshz.jpg

Pioneer SA 8500 ii Amp, TX 8500 ii receiver, Sony CD player, Pro-Ject Carbon debut turntable all being heard through Martin Logan 15's
  • steinba said:

This might be slightly/completely off topic, but anyway... It's sort of a gearhead topic too, even if it's not about guitars or drumheads. :)
    With all the vinyl collectors and music lovers on the board, there has to be some cool stereo setups around. Let's see 'em! It'll be fun.

I'll start:

Can you please explain all your components starting with top row first.

Nice looking speakers too.
  • steinbasteinba Posts: 110
    edited January 2016
    Sure. :)

I've changed it around a bit now, and upgraded the turntable, but here's a quick rundown of what you see in the picture:

The speakers are Klipsch RF-63. Standing on the top shelf, on both sides of the turntable, are two Abrahamsen V4.0UP power amplifiers. One mono bridged for each speaker. In the nex row, I have an Audion Premier MM phono stage, An Abrahamsen V3.0 preamplifier and an Abrahamsen V6.0 D/A Converter. Below these, from left to right, sits a satellite TV tuner, a Squeezebox Touch streamer, a Cambridge Audio Azur BD-650 blu-ray player mostly used for playing CD's (the TV tuner, the squeezebox and the BD-player are hooked up to the D/A Converter) and a DIY headphone amp. In the bottom, there's an old tape deck. Just for fun. :)

Since the photo was taken, I've bought a new turntable, tonearm, cartridge, Step Up Transformer, etc. This is it:

Post edited by steinba on
    Fantastic gear, well done! Bet that must have cost you an arm and a leg...
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Analog:
    Yamaha YD-PG turntable (Shure M97HE)> Bellari Rolls VP129 pre-amp> Pioneer Elite receiver(true direct)> Klipsch R28F Floorstanding Speakers. ( Monster Reference Series wires and carbon mat for turntable)

Digital Audio:
    PONO portable + Sony Blu-ray + Sony 400 Disc Changer > Pioneer Elite receiver > Klipsch speakers + JBL 12 inch subwoofer. (connected with Monster Fiber Optic, HDMI and Monster Speaker wire)

my digital video setup is a little different:
    Samsung Blu-ray + Samsung 55 inch HDTV > Yamaha Receiver > JBL reference monitors + JBL Subwoofer (connected with Monster HDMI)

Everything in the system is connected to Monster Power Signature Series rack component.

Good little budget system that I put together over the years.

I also use ZEROdust for cleaning my stylus and SpinClean for cleaning records.

I want to try out the anti-static gun... does anyone have experience with it??

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• My bachelor pad setup. I am a proud, broke college student. Most gear courtesy of Kijiji.

Gear:
    Receiver - SONY STR-DH-100
    Speakers - Behringer Truth B2031p
    Disc Tray - Yamaha CDC-585
    Turntable - SONY PS-LX250H
    Laserdisc Spinner - Pioneer DVL-909

follow the strangest tribe. . . . .
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    used to crank these infinity & the surround sound speakers. wish i had them now.

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    chadwick said:

used to crank these infinity & the surround sound speakers. wish i had them now.

Nice! There's no substitute for big ass speakers.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman, agreed. the original poster's system looks absolutely ruthless. his turn table has me curious. i wanna see that thing spin on a youtube video or something

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    ^^^^ Great read, thanks!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    Thought there might be some of you interested in watching this...

CES 2016 - Video coverage of high end audio in the Venetian
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfClVSvo_6c

Some very nice gear.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited February 2016

Oh wait, did you say my home stereo system?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

Wow, who's system is that Brian? It's insane...
  • LetsGoMteersLetsGoMteers New Bern, NC Posts: 157
    Damn you guys have some kickass setups. Sadly mine is iPhone connected to Beats Pill
    2016 Columbia, SC
    reesdog said:

brianlux said:

Wow, who's system is that Brian? It's insane...
    I honestly don't know, haha!

So OK, you really want to see what I've got, eh?...

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Alright, all joking aside, my beautiful old Marantz tuner crapped out and I'm putting it aside until I can find a good repair tech so right now I've got these:

and these Polk Audio bookshelf speakers:

and this Project Debut Carbon/ red ortofon:

Anything higher end would be way overkill for me.

brianlux said:

Alright, all joking aside, my beautiful old Marantz tuner crapped out and I'm putting it aside until I can find a good repair tech so right now I've got these:

Nothing wrong with that set-up at all Brian, I used to have Polk bookshelves the RTia1's, they sounded so good, but I upgraded to some Monitor Audio floor standers. Parted with the Polk's and their stands recently on our version of Ebay here in NZ, sad to see them go really. I think you can't beat a decent 2 channel set-up...
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    Anyone have opinion on Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 floor standing speakers? They were highly rated when first released but now discontinued and discounted heavily.

I'm looking for floor standing speakers for my VPI Scout TT.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I have a pair of Diamond 8.1 bookshelf speakers. They're top notch. Great build quality and they sound clear and accurate.

I would bet the larger floor standing speakers are more of the same.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    reesdog said:

brianlux said:

Nothing wrong with that set-up at all Brian, I used to have Polk bookshelves the RTia1's, they sounded so good, but I upgraded to some Monitor Audio floor standers. Parted with the Polk's and their stands recently on our version of Ebay here in NZ, sad to see them go really. I think you can't beat a decent 2 channel set-up...
    I do have to say, the Marantz PM5005 only has bass and treble controls whereas my old 2220B has "mid" adjustment which I really miss! I'm a mid-range kinda guy sound-wise!

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Hey all - does anyone own an OPPO Universal BR Player?
    http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-BDP-103D-Universal-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B00GPFM106/ref=sr_1_2?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1456762006&sr=1-2&keywords=oppo+bluray+player
    I've heard these things, next to speakers, are critical to good sound. Can anyone testify from experience?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602

Hey all - does anyone own an OPPO Universal BR Player?
    http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-BDP-103D-Universal-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B00GPFM106/ref=sr_1_2?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1456762006&sr=1-2&keywords=oppo+bluray+player
    I've heard these things, next to speakers, are critical to good sound. Can anyone testify from experience?

Oppo's are the gold standard of a Blu Ray player, but I'm not sure that would be at the top of the chain for upgrading. To me, it's 1. Speakers 2A. Amp (separates) 2B. TT/DAC/source 3. AVR or pre/pro 4. Blu Ray.
    I've used an Oppo before and I didn't hear a big difference. The video was maybe...upscale a bit. But nothing compared to the speakers or the amp. IMO.
    FrankY59 said:

Anyone have opinion on Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 floor standing speakers? They were highly rated when first released but now discontinued and discounted heavily.

I think Wharfedale's have a good, solid reputation. There has been some criticism about their internal parts compared to the cabinetry which is considered very nice. What's your budget? With that nice Scout, you definitely want to have speakers that can let that TT shine.
    reesdog said:

Fairly new editions to the system. These are my new Monitor Audio Bronze 5 floor standing speakers to replace my Polk Audio RTiA bookshelves. I did a lot of research into what to get in my price range and these were hard to go past, very good online reviews. I demoed a few other brands, but these came out on top for strong sound quality and looks.

Turntable - Rega RP3.
    Amplifier - Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20.

Nice. I've shopped Monitor Audio before. The bronze are considered exceptional values. I really like them.
    steinba said:

I'll start:

Trying to see what you got there. Are those two monoblocks on the top shelves? What are they?
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    mrussel1 said:

FrankY59 said:

I think Wharfedale's have a good, solid reputation. There has been some criticism about their internal parts compared to the cabinetry which is considered very nice. What's your budget? With that nice Scout, you definitely want to have speakers that can let that TT shine.
    DAMN. I thought regularly priced $1300 speakers discounted to $800 would be good enough for my Scout.
    I saw them make some audiophile list with a Class C grade. I could spend a bit more but definitely not in the thousandS range. Plus, I like the look of floor standing.