FVGΛZI Live Series - A Bootleg Review Blog

gunter1976gunter1976 Posts: 587
edited January 2015 in Other Music
As some of you might know, Dischord Records opened up its archives on December 1, 2011 and launched the Fugazi Live Series in an attempt to make available every single live Fugazi recording that has been documented over the years. Today, this juggernaut of a project is nearing completion, providing hundreds of digital live recordings and a multifold of pictures and flyers to illustrate the history of the band on the road.

Being a Fugazi enthusiast, I set out to (eventually) listen to each and every recording that will see the light of day. And even though the scope of such an undertaking is quite daunting if I pause to think about it, I do find comfort in the process, having immensely enjoyed several hundreds of these recordings so far.

As a result, I recently set up a blog to collect some of the notes, comments or tentative reviews I previously posted on the Fugazi Live Series website (see dischord.com/fugazi_live_series), and to be able to add new notes and reflections as I continue to take in new recordings.

Through this blog, I am not only trying to create some sort of accessible and useful frame of reference or tool to navigate through the vast amount of available recordings, but I am also hoping to connect with fellow fans by providing a forum to share thoughts or views related to the Fugazi live recordings.

Over the years, I have come to know Pearl Jam fans mostly as a dedicated bunch of music enthusiasts, and as such figured some of you might find something of interest in my efforts related to the Fugazi live repertoire as well.

So, please feel free to check it out sometime, to get in touch or to drop some words of encouragement. Any interest would be much much appreciated.

My blog can be found here: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com/.

Thanks for reading, take care,

gunter
"...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com
Post edited by gunter1976 on

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Fugazi is an amazing band and this is a fascinating project, Gunter. Thanks for posting this! With limited time, and a wide interest in music in general, it's highly unlikely I'll ever get around to listening to all 800 live performances, but will definitely check out some of them.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Thanks for getting in on this Brian. Hit me up if you feel you could use some suggestions or points of entry. Plenty of these recordings are well worth checking out. Enjoy!
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2015
    Cool! That's a lot of work, and it's worthwhile. I think there are a lot of Fugazi enthusiasts here. :)
    .... I wonder if that indefinite hiatus will ever end. :-?

(Question: is there a reason you used a "V" in the band name in the thread title? Something I don't know about?)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    That's an awesome undertaking. I've bought dl'd a few shows mostly ones that i was actually at and love getting to relive some of the best live music experiences i've witnessed. Absolutely love Fugazi!
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • RB90590RB90590 Posts: 227
    I purchased all the CDs they originally released as the live series, which were amazing. Kinda forgot about the download site, was bummed that only MP3 was offered.

Think I'm gonna download the Bellevue YMCA show tonight.

Look forward to your choice picks.
  • halvhalv Posts: 675
    I'm looking forward to reading your blog. I have about 10 of the bootleg shows and would love to hear about other good shows that I should check out. Man do I ever miss that band.
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Very cool project!!! As a fellow Fugazi enthusiast, I look forward to reading your take on these recordings. As Brianlux mentioned, I doubt I will be able to get around to listening to all the performances, so it will be great to see your recommendations.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Much obliged for taking an interest in this project everyone. Setting up the blog a couple of months ago, I started out adding show notes and reviews in chronological order. At this point, the 1987 and 1988 live recording reviews are up.

Unfortunately I have been encountering technical issues with my outdated laptop for some time now and, as a result, am having difficulties accessing a number of the live recordings I still need to download. So for the time being, I resorted to posting notes related to shows I already have at my disposal, regardless of chronology.

I am hoping to get my hands on some new hardware shortly. Once I do, I will gear up to cover the 1989 and subsequent tours in full.

As to the "V" used to refer to the band in the title of this conversation, I will add that it is a mere reproduction of the iconic script used on Ian's amp, as featured for instance on the cover of the tremendous book by Glen E. Friedman, Keep Your Eyes Open: The Fugazi Photographs (see dischord.com/release/kyeo).

Cheers,

gunter

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Great to know about the Fvugazi book, Gunter. Thanks!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux wrote: »

Thanks Brian. If anything, I would also like to urge you to check out the Fugazi documentary Instrument by Jem Cohen (discogs.com/Fugazi-Instrument/release/1333734).

That surely will blow you away. It did in my case. I remember feeling that buzz afterwards, the sense of perfection and completeness that the footage sparked. I have enjoyed the feature numerous times since and still think it is the most amazing and spot on documentary possible. It is all I could have ever hoped for.

g.

• EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    edited January 2015
    gunter1976 wrote: »
    brianlux wrote: »

Thanks Brian. If anything, I would also like to urge you to check out the Fugazi documentary Instrument by Jem Cohen (discogs.com/Fugazi-Instrument/release/1333734).

That surely will blow you away. It did in my case. I remember feeling that buzz afterwards, the sense of perfection and completeness that the footage sparked. I have enjoyed the feature numerous times since and still think it is the most amazing and spot on documentary possible. It is all I could have ever hoped for.

g.

I just wanted to jump in here and second this Gunter. Instrument is the best music doc I've ever seen. Took my connection to the band to a whole other level.

By the way, great thread you've got going hear, Fugazi for me is the greatest band of all time. (Sorry PJ)

Edit: Just briefly checked out your blog, so cool man, going to invest some time into reading more of it when I have some free time!
    Post edited by EnterThanman on
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • I just wanted to jump in here and second this Gunter. Instrument is the best music doc I've ever seen. Took my connection to the band to a whole other level.

By the way, great thread you've got going hear, Fugazi for me is the greatest band of all time. (Sorry PJ)

Edit: Just briefly checked out your blog, so cool man, going to invest some time into reading more of it when I have some free time!

Thanks for the appreciation and kind words.

I hope you'll find something of interest on my blog. Let me know what you think sometime.

Thanks,

gunter

• My latest instalment relates to the January 24, 1992 Rock for Choice benefit gig at the Hollywood Palladium in Los Angeles, CA. Probably the only time Fugazi and Pearl Jam fitted the same bill. As such, I figured it might interest some PJ heads on this forum.

Find out more here: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com/

Thanks,

• halvhalv Posts: 675
    Excellent read. Thanks for posting.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Thanks for this... I have only listened to the 2 shows I was lucky enough to attend.
    Tallahassee 2001 is ok
    Asheville 2002 is fucking amazing.
    I really dug the live versions of The Argument Tracks.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Another year has passed. I figured this could use a reminder. So it goes.. .

• gunter1976gunter1976 Posts: 587
    Catch up on your reading, you gotta get up, get on it