Mental Illness

Comments

• rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Here is a link to a PubMed abstract regarding research of the use of humor to reduce mental illness stigma.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4059196/

the study found humor to be an effective and positive medium to discuss and deal with mental illness both for the persons discussing it as well as for their audience.

the abstratct linked above also contains links to other research articles:

Similar articles in PubMed
    Modifying attitudes to mental health using comedy as a delivery medium.
    [Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epide...]
    Laughing at the looking glass: does humor style serve as an interpersonal signal?
    [Evol Psychol. 2013]
    What is a mental illness? Public views and their effects on attitudes and disclosure.
    [Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2012]
    Humor, laughter, and physical health: methodological issues and research findings.
    [Psychol Bull. 2001]
    On the self-stigma of mental illness: stages, disclosure, and strategies for change.
    [Can J Psychiatry. 2

By making humor "off limits", you are perhaps cutting yourself off from the exact stigma breakthrough you are looking for and may instead be perpetuating it.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rollings said:

Here is a link to a PubMed abstract regarding research of the use of humor to reduce mental illness stigma.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4059196/

the study found humor to be an effective and positive medium to discuss and deal with mental illness both for the persons discussing it as well as for their audience.

the abstratct linked above also contains links to other research articles:

Similar articles in PubMed
    Modifying attitudes to mental health using comedy as a delivery medium.
    [Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epide...]
    Laughing at the looking glass: does humor style serve as an interpersonal signal?
    [Evol Psychol. 2013]
    What is a mental illness? Public views and their effects on attitudes and disclosure.
    [Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2012]
    Humor, laughter, and physical health: methodological issues and research findings.
    [Psychol Bull. 2001]
    On the self-stigma of mental illness: stages, disclosure, and strategies for change.
    [Can J Psychiatry. 2

By making humor "off limits", you are perhaps cutting yourself off from the exact stigma breakthrough you are looking for and may instead be perpetuating it.

As I stated, humour is not off limits. But I think it's important that the person using it disclose their own personal dealings with it. I see the study showed no "significant stigma change" in attitude between the diclosing comic and the non-disclosing comic, but I think at this point in time, it's important to air on the side of sensitivity, since the stigma is still so large. It is, after all, one study. I think it's interesting. I would have thought it would have showed some disparity, but it all depends what the researchers deemed "significant".

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I think it's also important to note that the humour used was in person, which can have a dramatically different effect than humour in print, which, as we know, can be miscronstrued in any number of ways.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited January 2016
    here i am with my big-huge mental disorder - ADHD - attention deficit hyperactive disorder. do not ever talk to me about psychologists & psychiatrists. at age (whatever age a kindergartener is) the school system noticed i was a odd duck w/ my head placed up my ass. that's also why my location says so on here as such. is a mental disorder the same as a mental illness? i'm looking into it.

i used to have to do the red/white plastic pieces placing them in the shapes shown test. done this so many times it's ridiculous. a school psychologist asked me to walk backwards when i was in kindergarten. I told him no I aint walkin backwards. he begged & begged me to walk backwards. i refused. he was upset. to be honest I don't think I knew how to walk in reverse because i told him my mom & dad taught me to walk forward.

ritalin kids in the 70's & 80's. i was one of those little squirrels bouncing off the ceilings for kicks. you wanna see a kid run circles around grown ass men in the navy seals training program at BUDS? you shoulda got a load of me as a kid. im the definitions of "all over it" or "lost in space" or "up my ass is my head" or "you can't wear me out im a squirrelly carnival" or "solid shit grades goes the daydreamer athlete" or "football, baseball, swimming, boxing, bikes, kick boxing, hide & seek marathons, treehouse madness/forts & chores guy" up at 5am grinding shit down

that was my average day.

as a kid i was embarrassed about taking a "crazy pill." yes i called ritalin "crazy pill." i had to get up from class w/out saying a word to the teacher, walk to the nurses office & take my "crazy pills" then i walked back to class & failed w/ my head stuck up some day dreaming asscloud where psychologists, psychiatrists & i found entertainment.

i was always in the slowed down mental disability werewolf classes. it's funny how i was tested as having a high IQ even though i've no idea where the hell i am at half the time

everything's the opposite, the opposite

i am actually trying to learn how to live my life. up until last year i was a teenager - 20s. i then learned im 43 yrs old. i'll be god damned im a full fledged adult.

this is my mental disorder

congratulation
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    hugh, isn't that something, when i was a kid i called Ritalin "crazy pills"
    turns out you do the same thing. that has me amazed at the moment

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited January 2016
    chadwick,

Your honesty, and how you share it, is beautiful.

*edit - I'd be awfully remiss if I didn't say the same for Hugh.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I knew we could all come together on this. Honest responses, forthright feelings, putting it out there. Hell, you guys is the bees knees! :bee:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    To be a dick, did that meet the "humor litmus test"?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

I would think it would be obvious if anyone here were making light of mental illness or making fun of someone with a mental health issues. Trying to help lighten things up never seems like a bad idea to me. The other thing is, if someone feels uncertain about a response they can always ask for clarification either on the thread or in a PM. But like I say, I just don't see anyone here as giving anyone else shit about having mental health issues.

Hopefully we're all good here.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    edited January 2016
    brianlux said:

mickeyrat said:

I would think it would be obvious if anyone here were making light of mental illness or making fun of someone with a mental health issues. Trying to help lighten things up never seems like a bad idea to me. The other thing is, if someone feels uncertain about a response they can always ask for clarification either on the thread or in a PM. But like I say, I just don't see anyone here as giving anyone else shit about having mental health issues.

Hopefully we're all good here.
    I agree.

All too often I judge peoples outward exhibitions against my internal ones. Its not fair to either of us. Nor is it an accurate understanding of reality. believe that to be generally true for most.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Good to see a healthy discussion about mental illness taking place. I was diagnosed bipolar II almost 6 years ago and there hasn't been a dull moment since. I went through a doctor who damn near killed me by over prescribing and now have a doctor who listens and really takes what I have to say to heart.
    The stigma around those w/ mental illness (while changing slowly) is still obscene. I've been able to accomplish a great deal in my life while fighting bipolar disorder, depression, addiction and all of the other fun things that come with my diagnosis.
    I think going through a mental illness really does lead you to view the world differently. If you're fighting this battle in silence, what else is everyone else fighting without mentioning. It's definitely made me more aware of others feelings and what could possibly be driving them and their behavior.
  • gibsonguitarsgibsonguitars Canada Posts: 18
    Hi, so sorry to hear that sad news. I've suffered from depression/anxiety for years now, and unfortunately there still remains a stigma attached to mental illnesses. Like other comments, there are good days and bad ones, but I feel so blessed and fortunate for the help I've received and for my family (wife and 3 boys). We live in Canada, and fortunately my employer (I'm a nurse) provided some benefits coverage for the psychiatry visits and for meds.
    Music, especially music from the worlds greatest band (you know who) has always provided me with some form of escape from some of what I feel.
    Again, my condolences to you as you grieve your loss.
    P
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

Hi, so sorry to hear that sad news. I've suffered from depression/anxiety for years now, and unfortunately there still remains a stigma attached to mental illnesses. Like other comments, there are good days and bad ones, but I feel so blessed and fortunate for the help I've received and for my family (wife and 3 boys). We live in Canada, and fortunately my employer (I'm a nurse) provided some benefits coverage for the psychiatry visits and for meds.
    Music, especially music from the worlds greatest band (you know who) has always provided me with some form of escape from some of what I feel.
    P

I was considering being a nurse but was given advice not to as working shifts at night would exacerbate my illness. Do you find working night shift makes it harder for you to manage your symptoms?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I read a news article this morning about a girl in her early 30's (my age) has been knocked back from 900 employers due to her mental illness, this discrimination needs to stop!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    if i may ask, what is her mental illness? she applied for work with 900 employers?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    edited January 2016
    chadwick said:

if i may ask, what is her mental illness? she applied for work with 900 employers?

Depression and Anxiety.
    Here's the article: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/north-west/sunburys-kristy-hansen-says-job-is-meant-to-be-after-900-applications/news-story/d3352de66bca33fdb486d678dabf8461

P

I was considering being a nurse but was given advice not to as working shifts at night would exacerbate my illness. Do you find working night shift makes it harder for you to manage your symptoms?
    Yes, I do have to do my fair share of night shifts, and when I finish them each month, I'm not myself for a few days. I just do my best to find the right balance of peace and quiet, and things I enjoy (family time, music, my dog etc).
    edited January 2016
    probably over 90% of the population have difficulties in working the night shift. i've done it & it sucks. i've worked all the shifts & night shift is the worst. you do what you gotta do.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    well folks, today is Bell Let's Talk Day. for every tweet or text message using the hash tag #bellletstalk, Bell Canada will donate 5 cents to mental health initiatives in Canada. Since 2010, they have donated over $100 Million.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

well folks, today is Bell Let's Talk Day. for every tweet or text message using the hash tag #bellletstalk, Bell Canada will donate 5 cents to mental health initiatives in Canada. Since 2010, they have donated over $100 Million.

Good show, Bell Canada!

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2016

chadwick said:

Depression and Anxiety.
    Here's the article: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/north-west/sunburys-kristy-hansen-says-job-is-meant-to-be-after-900-applications/news-story/d3352de66bca33fdb486d678dabf8461
    Hmm. Why did this woman keep telling people at interviews about it unless she thought it would negatively impact the work she would be doing? She was under no obligation to divulge an illness unless it would prevent her from doing the job, and if it did, then the employer would be under no obligation to hire her. It is not normal to tell people about your depression at a job interview just like it's not normal to tell people, say, that you get chronic bladder infections.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

chadwick said:

Depression and Anxiety.
    Hmm. Why did this woman keep telling people at interviews about it unless she thought it would negatively impact the work she would be doing? She was under no obligation to divulge an illness unless it would prevent her from doing the job, and if it did, then the employer would be under no obligation to hire her. It is not normal to tell people about your depression at a job interview just like it's not normal to tell people, say, that you get chronic bladder infections.
    seems to me that maybe she was just trying to make a point. the wrong point, IMO.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

it's been a shitty 6 months. probably longer. advice: don't quit your meds. no matter the reason. mine? I forgot to renew my Rx and was going away, so I thought "ok, I'll give it a shot". that set me back MONTHS and nearly killed me. I'm still not even close to 100%. it's brutal. I have never called in sick and just laid in bed staring at the ceiling so much in my life. every single day I'd wake up shaking nervously. I literally hated the day the second my eyes opened. it was a terrible way to live. lost a bunch of weight again. every little minutiae of the day stresses me the fuck out. 

which has manifested itself physically again, and caused my anxiety to get exponentially worse. ugh. (don't google your symptoms! ever!)

good thing I have a boss who asks no questions. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

it's been a shitty 6 months. probably longer. advice: don't quit your meds. no matter the reason. mine? I forgot to renew my Rx and was going away, so I thought "ok, I'll give it a shot". that set me back MONTHS and nearly killed me. I'm still not even close to 100%. it's brutal. I have never called in sick and just laid in bed staring at the ceiling so much in my life. every single day I'd wake up shaking nervously. I literally hated the day the second my eyes opened. it was a terrible way to live. lost a bunch of weight again. every little minutiae of the day stresses me the fuck out. 

which has manifested itself physically again, and caused my anxiety to get exponentially worse. ugh. (don't google your symptoms! ever!)

Thinking good thought for you my friend.    Anxiety is the shits and although a lot of the symptoms are similar, I think those of us who struggle with it all do so in our own way so, like you say,  better to not read about it Google or in books.  I think it's more helpful to focus on finding something to anchor to than it is to focus on the symptoms.  Do what works best for you, not what someone else says.  You're a good guy, you know yourself, and your friends here care!  I will send out anxiety ass-kicking good vibes for you and hope things start sailing smoother for you, HFD.  You're cool, man.

• fifefife Posts: 3,327

I don't think psychologists and psychiatrists really care. If they did they'd have a heart and lower their fees. All I did was spend $200 a week talking, venting and it got me nowhere and $3000 out of pocket. Now that I am unemployed I can't afford it.
    Hey Thoughts, as a person who works alot with psychologists and psychiatrist, I can tell you most do really care but you also have to search for one that you trust and one that works in the way you want.  for example, I once went to meet a existential therapist and while i did gain some insight i also felt that it didn't help me in ways that I want.   I have also tried many different types of talk therapy such as CBT and interpersonal therapy. 

it sucks that you didn't get what you were looking for but don't give up.  
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    PJ_Soul said:
    I am so pissed off psychologists and psychiatrists charge so much for 50 mins of their time. I for one need sessions but cannot afford it right now, $200 every week or fortnight is too much. How much does it cost in the USA?
    Where do you live? I know in Canada these things can cost a lot, but if a doctor actually refers you to a psychiatrist as a medical need you can get it covered. Also, where do you work? Any good benefits? Because I also know that my benefits actually include 12 free therapist sessions a year with good therapists if you need them, BUT it's not a benefit that is "advertised" for some reason. Most employees have absolutely no idea it's an option (which is shameful).
    Hey PJ, that is quite amazing that you get 12 free sessions a year. my employer benefit package allows for 50 a year that can be used between myself and my girlfriend.  you don't see alot of employers giving these benefits. 
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited July 2017
    brianlux said:

Thinking good thought for you my friend.    Anxiety is the shits and although a lot of the symptoms are similar, I think those of us who struggle with it all do so in our own way so, like you say,  better to not read about it Google or in books.  I think it's more helpful to focus on finding something to anchor to than it is to focus on the symptoms.  Do what works best for you, not what someone else says.  You're a good guy, you know yourself, and your friends here care!  I will send out anxiety ass-kicking good vibes for you and hope things start sailing smoother for you, HFD.  You're cool, man.
    HughFreakingDillon
    I have ADHD.(attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) I've never been hyper but that's what they call it.  Is that a mental illness?   I think so.  That's what the grade school shrink told my parents & I anyway.  Yes I was one of the Ritalin lab rat experiments.  And they gave it to me at the wrong age. It's useful they say, before puberty.  Suppose to help you concentrate. But they started me on it in 6th and 7th grade.  And I figured out very quickly that if I took it 20 minutes before gym class holy fuck I could run faster and jump higher than anybody else.  And then an hour & a half later you hit the wall with ZERO energy, having to cope the rest of the day with out it.  When I went back for a check up at the end of 7th grade, I answered the doctors questions about it, the doctor took my mom into a little closed door meeting room across the hall way for 2 minutes that I was not invited to, and said "whoops this isn't supposed to happen!" we've got to get him off of this as soon as possible but don't stop him cold turkey. My mom was trying to cut a pill the size of an aspirin into 8ths to wean me off of it.
    But starting a kid in the sixth or seventh grade, it was damn wrong in the first place right?  So you got to be careful what shrinks you go to.  They will prescribed you s*** that you shouldn't be taking. And the dosage that my mom was giving me to begin with was one pill cut into quarters, so I had a quarter of a pill and I was bouncing off the walls for an hour and a half.  At the time I thought it was fun.  I didn't realize that I was fucking high. Later on in life looking back I think that they were experimenting to see what it would do to a kid a little older than what's actually recommended.  And the doc knew damn well that he had no business perscribing this shit to me based on my age.  The doctor who did this to me looked like Mr.Rodgers!  Kaki pants pulled up to his nipples for crying out loud, and a nice zipup sweater.  I also thought that he spent way too much time with the physical examination kinda odd.  So then I go and read about all the side effects and post effects that it can do to you, and none of them are good. Hard on your liver, hard on your heart, makes​ your heart race, blood pressure shoots up like a rocket. When you're in 7th grade, this isn't good it's not good anytime.  You go on with a somewhat compromised system after that.  I read that a common thing with ADD people is that complex things can make total sense, and the most basic things cause confusion.  Wierd.
    As a 40 year old now it comes and goes.   I drive a semi truck so I have learned how to cope with it.  But some days it's bad.  When I have to much time on my hands is when it gets the​ worst.  Got things that I want to do or get done.  I can be going to the hardware store for something, swing by a burger joint, then halfway through the drive through change my mind about eating there and go home forgetting that I was going to the hardware store for something.  We all have shit that we deal with man.
    I joke now that I have AAHD
    (Adult Attention Hell-of-a-Disorder) so I tend to only entertain only one or two threads at a time.
    Just checked this one out for the first time today it's been going on for awhile with very interesting content.  I obviously don't know you, but I do care about you and your happiness and your well-being HFD.  And everyone else here for that matter.
    I will pray for you, it certainly can't hurt. ;)
    Post edited by RYME on
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited July 2017
    Cheer up music.
    https://youtu.be/YcAw0ROJe0U
    https://youtu.be/zOPPfA4sUTA
    I just love The Head and the Heart!
    Post edited by RYME on