Mental Illness

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    thanks for turning a serious thread about mental illness and suicide into a fucking joke. nicely done.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• thanks for turning a serious thread about mental illness and suicide into a fucking joke. nicely done.

That actually never happened.

A little humour was injected into the thread as a side as the stream of conversation slowed. That's not atypical behaviour on this forum.

However, if you care to get back to the subject with something that can carry us past a page and a half of content... then do so.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianlux said:

I don't think psychologists and psychiatrists really care.
    If they did they'd have a heart and lower their fees.
    All I did was spend $200 a week talking, venting and it got me nowhere and $3000 out of pocket.
    Now that I am unemployed I can't afford it.

The ones who are good are saints but some of them are simply in the wrong field.

I had a therapist chew me out once for saying that I wanted to have a little place in my house where I could be alone when I wanted to be. He said I had no right to expect that. I stopped going to see him.

And once about 20 years ago after nearly killing myself I was sent to a psychiatrist. It wasn't my idea to see him but I figured maybe he could help me. I started to tell him about how upset I was when my S.O. at the time suddenly dumped me with no warning and he said, rather aggressively, "Well I don't want to talk about that!" I told him I was done here and walked out on him. The man was a monster.

It's always good to interview a counselor with specific questions to find out how they work and let them know what you expect and if they don't respect that, leave!
    Very good points. Finding a good therapist is like hiring any other professional. You want to check background, references and be willing to move on if it isn't a good fit. It's nobodys fault, you just need to keep trying until you find the one you click with.
    when he's happy he looks insane

Gorge 2005

thanks for turning a serious thread about mental illness and suicide into a fucking joke. nicely done.

A little humour was injected into the thread as a side as the stream of conversation slowed. That's not atypical behaviour on this forum.

However, if you care to get back to the subject with something that can carry us past a page and a half of content... then do so.
    "I'll be your psychiatrist....stuff mustard packets up your ass". that's a fucking mockery.

there's certain topics that do not require an "injection of humour". there is no obligation to keep the conversation at a pace determined by you or anyone else. if the thread dies, so be it. it's shit like this that makes people wary of posting their personal feelings/experiences on the matter, as they might feel it is taken lightly or there is possibility of themselves getting mocked.

if there is anything to be said about the topic, feel free. if not, move on.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I am so pissed off psychologists and psychiatrists charge so much for 50 mins of their time.
    I for one need sessions but cannot afford it right now, $200 every week or fortnight is too much.
    How much does it cost in the USA?

My therapy was free for years due to my income. Sad to hear Aus does not offer something similar. I found a few links that might help -

http://www.mindhealthconnect.org.au/

http://www.ontheline.org.au/about-us/what-we-do

http://www.redcross.org.au/files/Mental_Health_brochure_FINAL.pdf

The red cross offers mental health assistance in Victoria which is close to you I think -

VIC
    23-47 Villiers Street
    North Melbourne
    VIC 3051
    Tel 03 8327 7700

You can do it, you are worth it =)

Gorge 2005

All I did was spend $200 a week talking, venting and it got me nowhere and $3000 out of pocket.

I have had good and bad experiences as well. I think part of it is that they are so overworked it may be difficult to keep "feeling" all day every day for every patient.

I had one guy, the first guy I ever saw, actually fucking LAUGH AT ME. He told me "do you think Dahmer ever went to anyone and told him how he felt? if you are telling me, you are obviously not crazy, just stop worrying about it and you'll be fine". This fucking douche with a PhD in psychology actually said this to me. I was devastated. I never went to see him again. I wanted to report him. But I didn't out of fear of him know who did it and possibly blacklisting me from the profession.

My second guy was ok. He was kind of an unfeeling robot, but he allowed me to talk and helped me understand my own thoughts and feelings better, which is the point. it's an outlet, and after you use that outlet, they are there to give direction on where to go next. they aren't necessarily a shoulder, or to TELL you what to do, cause they don't know, they are there to help you use the tools they have to figure out what works for you.

don't give up. you'll find one that works. it can take a long time to find one that's compatible with you. it might help in the interim to find some self-help books or something inspirational until you can afford it again.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• thanks brian. I've already had one pm from someone who identified with what I wrote, which is exactly why I did this. I'm trying to think of other things I can do in my limited reach to help. others and myself.

Just keep doing what you are doing, and saying what you are saying. The stigma is still so powerful, the trolls still so accepted and the entire dialogue still so quiet. Thank you for honoring your friend by getting involved, my heart goes out to you and yours, aloha.

Gorge 2005
  • Nope, not a funny subject for me.

Hey Chaddy - keep your special brand of comedy to posts that aren't addressing a serious medical issue okay?

I am sure if I was talking about my fathers end stage renal failure you would have enough class not to make jokes. Why is it any different when the malady is mental?

Gorge 2005
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Yeah, Chadwick ain't no troll, lol. That's just Chadwick being the Chadwick we know and love!

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • thanks for turning a serious thread about mental illness and suicide into a fucking joke. nicely done.

"I'll be your psychiatrist....stuff mustard packets up your ass". that's a fucking mockery.

there's certain topics that do not require an "injection of humour". there is no obligation to keep the conversation at a pace determined by you or anyone else. if the thread dies, so be it. it's shit like this that makes people wary of posting their personal feelings/experiences on the matter, as they might feel it is taken lightly or there is possibility of themselves getting mocked.

I didn't see it that way.

And as debilitating as mental illness can be... one must be a participant in their own recovery. I think this is what he was getting at. You might not like what he said or how he said it... but there's truth to it.

I don't feel like getting too personal with my own experiences (and would never begrudge anyone for doing so)... but I can testify that according to my intimate knowledge of depression... it requires a great amount of effort to overcome feelings of despair. Great is not a fantastic descriptor. Colossal is perhaps better.

Depression is an anchor that seeks to keep you submerged. I feel greatly for anyone afflicted with it and I wish you strength. There is no band aid solution and no easy fix.

And as debilitating as mental illness can be... one must be a participant in their own recovery. I think this is what he was getting at. You might not like what he said or how he said it... but there's truth to it.

I don't feel like getting too personal with my own experiences (and would never begrudge anyone for doing so)... but I can testify that according to my intimate knowledge of depression... it requires a great amount of effort to overcome feelings of despair. Great is not a fantastic descriptor. Colossal is perhaps better.

Depression is an anchor that seeks to keep you submerged. I feel greatly for anyone afflicted with it and I wish you strength. There is no band aid solution and no easy fix.
    there is zero truth in what he said. it was 100% nonsense, insensitive, and borderline offensive to those that suffer from it. I know how much you hate people being what you deem oversensitive, but seriously, I have had more pm's about this topic than responses to this thread. why, you ask? because of bullshit like that.

one must participate in their own recovery for EVERY illness. but, for some, say what you will about how much you know or empathize with depression, you wouldn't make lighthearted jokes about it if you really experienced it to the depths that some have. that is the stigma of it all. it's still somewhat ok to poke fun at it. you wouldn't do that with any other illness, you know you wouldn't.

there's candor that needs to be utilized for some topics. this is one of them. once that is recognized, only then can people be free to express themselves about it.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

scorpio2k said:

Nope, not a funny subject for me.

Hey Chaddy - keep your special brand of comedy to posts that aren't addressing a serious medical issue okay?

I am sure if I was talking about my fathers end stage renal failure you would have enough class not to make jokes. Why is it any different when the malady is mental?

exactly. it's a double standard that people still aren't willing to admit they engage in.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    What I know from reading everyone's post here leads me to believe that everyone here understands the severity of mental health. I'm quite sure no one here wishes anyone here ill will. This issue and this thread are a damn good place for us all to accept our differences and be supportive rather than at odds and bickering with each other. I wish the best for each and everyone of you on this issue. I say this as someone who has almost died from a suicide attempt, plus a separate near-fatal overdose of pscyh meds, two involuntary 72 hour holds in a mental health hospital and and a one week voluntary admission to a mental health hospital. I'm lucky enough to be here to wish you all well and carry on as best you can.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

What I know from reading everyone's post here leads me to believe that everyone here understands the severity of mental health. I'm quite sure no one here wishes anyone here ill will. This issue and this thread are a damn good place for us all to accept our differences and be supportive rather than at odds and bickering with each other. I wish the best for each and everyone of you on this issue. I say this as someone who has almost died from a suicide attempt, plus a separate near-fatal overdose of pscyh meds, two involuntary 72 hour holds in a mental health hospital and and a one week voluntary admission to a mental health hospital. I'm lucky enough to be here to wish you all well and carry on as best you can.

it may lead YOU to believe it brian, but there are many out there who aren't so sure. I KNOW there are. there needs to be a much better understanding of what we're dealing with; not just the disease itself, but how our words affect those afflicted by it. this page of this thread shows me exactly what we're still dealing with.

the reason why my friend didn't divulge to even his partner what he was going through at the time his disease took over.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    edited January 2016
    Thread re-opened.
    Please be nice and respectful.
    Please do not derail topic integrity or make inappropriate posts.
    Thank you
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
    Post edited by Sea on

I lost another friend the other day. Found out yesterday on Facebook. He lived on the west coast. All of us not in his inner circle are in total shock, since he always seemed to be so positive, so outgoing, so happy, so full of life and wanting to make the world a better place. He even started (or helped start) a group called Random Acts of Kindness. They would hit the streets with flowers or gift cards and give them to random people for no reason other than to make people smile. Everyone who passes away gets nothing but positive things said about them. But this guy, honestly, was universally loved. I can't say that about anyone else I've ever known. It's tragic that he felt so alone and that the world would be better without him.

Two young daughters that are now fatherless. I am so incredibly sad right now. As a person who has suffered as well, this really hits home.

January 27th, as it happens, is Bell Let's Talk Day, an initiative to help end the stigma of mental illness so more people get help before they decide to end it all. Or even living in suffering every day, as I did for a very long time.

Some people honestly still believe you can "shake it off", get up out of bed, put a smile on your face and move on. I can tell you with utmost certainty, this is absolutely not the case. Mine got so bad that it started to manifest itself physically. I was having debilitating physical pain. I don't go to the doctor often, but in August I was going regularly to make sure I wasn't dying. I had a miriad of tests done. But as it turned out, it was my brain causing all of my physical pain. And many many people have it much much worse than I did. And my fight is not over. It's a daily struggle, even with therapy and medication.

Start a conversation with family, friends, coworkers, anyone. If even one person feels comforted knowing that people won't judge them, it could make a world of difference.

Peace everyone.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
    Sea said:

I lost another friend the other day. Found out yesterday on Facebook. He lived on the west coast. All of us not in his inner circle are in total shock, since he always seemed to be so positive, so outgoing, so happy, so full of life and wanting to make the world a better place. He even started (or helped start) a group called Random Acts of Kindness. They would hit the streets with flowers or gift cards and give them to random people for no reason other than to make people smile. Everyone who passes away gets nothing but positive things said about them. But this guy, honestly, was universally loved. I can't say that about anyone else I've ever known. It's tragic that he felt so alone and that the world would be better without him.

Two young daughters that are now fatherless. I am so incredibly sad right now. As a person who has suffered as well, this really hits home.

January 27th, as it happens, is Bell Let's Talk Day, an initiative to help end the stigma of mental illness so more people get help before they decide to end it all. Or even living in suffering every day, as I did for a very long time.

Some people honestly still believe you can "shake it off", get up out of bed, put a smile on your face and move on. I can tell you with utmost certainty, this is absolutely not the case. Mine got so bad that it started to manifest itself physically. I was having debilitating physical pain. I don't go to the doctor often, but in August I was going regularly to make sure I wasn't dying. I had a miriad of tests done. But as it turned out, it was my brain causing all of my physical pain. And many many people have it much much worse than I did. And my fight is not over. It's a daily struggle, even with therapy and medication.

Start a conversation with family, friends, coworkers, anyone. If even one person feels comforted knowing that people won't judge them, it could make a world of difference.

Peace everyone.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
    thank you, sea.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

there is zero truth in what he said. it was 100% nonsense, insensitive, and borderline offensive to those that suffer from it. I know how much you hate people being what you deem oversensitive, but seriously, I have had more pm's about this topic than responses to this thread. why, you ask? because of bullshit like that.

one must participate in their own recovery for EVERY illness. but, for some, say what you will about how much you know or empathize with depression, you wouldn't make lighthearted jokes about it if you really experienced it to the depths that some have. that is the stigma of it all. it's still somewhat ok to poke fun at it. you wouldn't do that with any other illness, you know you wouldn't.

there's candor that needs to be utilized for some topics. this is one of them. once that is recognized, only then can people be free to express themselves about it.

I find it interesting that you believe good taste should be practiced for some topics, but not others. For example, I can recall some very distasteful comments you made that were directed at a person in a thread where they were being honoured post-humously.

And you know how much I hate people being what [I] deem oversensitive? What is that? Did you even read what I wrote? You don't have a monopoly on depression, man. Far from it.

I find it interesting that you believe good taste should be practiced for some topics, but not others. For example, I can recall some very distasteful comments you made that were directed at a person in a thread where they were being honoured post-humously.

And you know how much I hate people being what [I] deem oversensitive? What is that? Did you even read what I wrote? You don't have a monopoly on depression, man. Far from it.
    HAHA. how many times are you going to bring this up? for the last time, I said nothing distasteful about her. I simply said that she said some mean shit to me, and I felt (and I wasn't the only one) that the thread needed a little balance. It bothers me when people are "honoured post-humously" and it's only a half truth. it's a complete misrepesentation. I have stated many times to my wife how I want to write my own obit, so I don't have some person glossing over the less-than-savoury details of my life. now, back to this thread's topic.........

who the fuck said I had the monopoly on depression? I started this thread FOR OTHERS WITH DEPRESSION. I shared a personal story to try to help others.

this thread is not for arguing with you. if I want that, I'll go back to the DP thread. either tell a story that maybe helps someone, or I respectfully request that you move on.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Please discuss the topic not the people discussing the topic. Please take personal issues with each other off the forum.
    Thank you.

HAHA. how many times are you going to bring this up? for the last time, I said nothing distasteful about her. I simply said that she said some mean shit to me, and I felt (and I wasn't the only one) that the thread needed a little balance. It bothers me when people are "honoured post-humously" and it's only a half truth. it's a complete misrepesentation. I have stated many times to my wife how I want to write my own obit, so I don't have some person glossing over the less-than-savoury details of my life. now, back to this thread's topic.........

who the fuck said I had the monopoly on depression? I started this thread FOR OTHERS WITH DEPRESSION. I shared a personal story to try to help others.

this thread is not for arguing with you. if I want that, I'll go back to the DP thread. either tell a story that maybe helps someone, or I respectfully request that you move on.

Well... I only brought it up here since challenging it when it was first presented. So... I'm not really too sure where you feel you can flippantly dismiss it as a 'go to' tactic extensively over-used. And I only brought it up to note the obvious.

Regardless, we aren't miles apart outside of some differing opinions on tasteful posting: I stated this in my other post:

Have a good day.
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    It would be good if people could feel safe to share their thoughts and experiences here without fear of being mocked. I know sometimes people think they're helping by trying to 'lighten the mood' but there are times when we actually need to be serious and to be taken seriously.

It can be so so hard for people who suffer from depression to admit that and to even begin to try express their feelings. Please take a minute to think before you post in a thread like this where emotions are likely to be raw and people easily scared away. That goes for all of us, as I'm frequently guilty of speaking before I think! (Thankfully I usually think before I type)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I don't feel like anyone was mocking anyone. That was just Chadwick's way - I really don't believe that he meant anything negative by it. I actually feel like people should be able to express themselves anyway they see fit when it comes to mental illness. If humour makes it easier for them to talk about it, then that seems perfectly acceptable to me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Again, my guess is all of us here are unbiased regarding depression and other mental health issues. Hopefully this will remain a supportive thread and not a conflicting one. Thanks for considering that thought, good people.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

PJ_Soul said:

I don't feel like anyone was mocking anyone. That was just Chadwick's way - I really don't believe that he meant anything negative by it. I actually feel like people should be able to express themselves anyway they see fit when it comes to mental illness. If humour makes it easier for them to talk about it, then that seems perfectly acceptable to me.

I don't know him at all, so would never presume to guess his intentions. Also I know we're not meant to discuss individuals so I did not do so. I just think that the negative reaction suggests that a degree of sensitivity might be appropriate in discussing this topic and that people should be mindful of how they approach it. That's just me though, all I want is to keep the peace!
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962

PJ_Soul said:

I don't know him at all, so would never presume to guess his intentions. Also I know we're not meant to discuss individuals so I did not do so. I just think that the negative reaction suggests that a degree of sensitivity might be appropriate in discussing this topic and that people should be mindful of how they approach it. That's just me though, all I want is to keep the peace!
    I know we're not supposed to discuss individuals here but I like you.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    scorpio2k said:

I am so pissed off psychologists and psychiatrists charge so much for 50 mins of their time.
    I for one need sessions but cannot afford it right now, $200 every week or fortnight is too much.
    How much does it cost in the USA?

My therapy was free for years due to my income. Sad to hear Aus does not offer something similar. I found a few links that might help -

http://www.mindhealthconnect.org.au/

http://www.ontheline.org.au/about-us/what-we-do

http://www.redcross.org.au/files/Mental_Health_brochure_FINAL.pdf

The red cross offers mental health assistance in Victoria which is close to you I think -

VIC
    23-47 Villiers Street
    North Melbourne
    VIC 3051
    Tel 03 8327 7700

You can do it, you are worth it =)
    You are so awesome for posting all those links.
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    Yeah I am in Melbourne which is the capital of the state of Victoria :-)
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

I have had good and bad experiences as well. I think part of it is that they are so overworked it may be difficult to keep "feeling" all day every day for every patient.

I had one guy, the first guy I ever saw, actually fucking LAUGH AT ME. He told me "do you think Dahmer ever went to anyone and told him how he felt? if you are telling me, you are obviously not crazy, just stop worrying about it and you'll be fine". This fucking douche with a PhD in psychology actually said this to me. I was devastated. I never went to see him again. I wanted to report him. But I didn't out of fear of him know who did it and possibly blacklisting me from the profession.

My second guy was ok. He was kind of an unfeeling robot, but he allowed me to talk and helped me understand my own thoughts and feelings better, which is the point. it's an outlet, and after you use that outlet, they are there to give direction on where to go next. they aren't necessarily a shoulder, or to TELL you what to do, cause they don't know, they are there to help you use the tools they have to figure out what works for you.

don't give up. you'll find one that works. it can take a long time to find one that's compatible with you. it might help in the interim to find some self-help books or something inspirational until you can afford it again.

I bought Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now the other day and began reading today.
    So far I like it.
    I just want to rid myself of self loathing and anger as well as pessimism and fear.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

I know we're not supposed to discuss individuals here but I like you.
    :smile:
    PJ_Soul said:

if someone wants to talk about their OWN depression in that manner, I see no issue with that. Hell, with my wife, I call them my "crazy pills" just to lighten it. But I would never say that to someone whom I don't know intimately as they might take that as being made fun of. no indication was given that this was the case. All I saw (and apparently Sea agreed) was the issue as a whole being diminished. Which is exactly one big reason why people stay silent.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD