The terrorist attacks we don't care about

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
edited January 2016 in A Moving Train
That's the "royal We". ;)
As many of you know, there are terrible mass killings carried out often in many places in the world, but most of them get little to no attention from the news media or from us on social media. Or from nations' governments, for that matter. I thought we needed a thread for all of these awful attacks that kill so many people in places most of us are not so familiar with. Our sense of detachment from people outside of the "western world" is a sad reflection of its biases, but I'd like for these things not to go as unnoticed as they are.

So, most recently, and one that hits home for me because I work at a university and do have a minor fear of it happening on my own campus: The Taliban attack at Bacha Khan University in Pakistan. There has been some coverage of course, a few minor mentions, but no one really seems to give a shit. But they are making a comeback, killing innocent people, crushing the rights of people, particularly women and girls, and doing their disgusting thing over in Pakistan and other places. The NY Times claims that the attack has renewed fears... and I'm sure that is very true in Pakistan. But it sure doesn't seem to have renewed any western fear or even concern.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/21/world/asia/bacha-khan-university-attack-charsadda.html

And this would be a good place to discuss why "we" don't care about these attacks outside countries that are mostly white. There are plenty of theories to talk about!
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
Post edited by PJ_Soul on

Comments

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I think we do care.I also think again it's a fundamentalist Islamic terror group doing the killing.Its a bi weekly thing now.The hotel last week,the school this week.Not hard to figure out the problem IMO.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2016
    If we care then why doesn't anyone talk about it unless it happens in Paris or some other Western nation? Close to no coverage on the news, no massive social media outcry, no nothing, really. It's all relative obviously. I'd argue that in a relative sense, people don't seem to care much at all.
    I didn't say we didn't know what the problem is as far as the attacks specifically. Obviously the problem is terrorism and the motives behind it. I meant figuring out why people don't care if it's not happening in the West. There are various theories there, from racism and xenophobia to expecting it to happen in certain places (which also suggests a severe bias). And why does this imbalance in how much people care matter? Because change only happens when people give a shit.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Obviously,major cities in metropolitan heavy tourist areas will get more attention.Also violence happens often over there and it's almost a buisness as usual situation in that cesspool.
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Didn't I just read something about the Pakistani government ruling that it's illegal and anti-islamic to ban child marriage? Pakistan is probably gonna be our next mess.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    If it doesn't fit the political/corporate agenda of making politicians/corporations rich, the government controlled media won't utter a word about it.
    edited January 2016
    rr165892 said:

Obviously,major cities in metropolitan heavy tourist areas will get more attention.Also violence happens often over there and it's almost a buisness as usual situation in that cesspool.

So to you, it doesn't even bear mentioning? Even though plenty of tourist-heavy metropolitcan areas elsewhere in the world suffer attacks... just not where white people are.
    Are you intentionally dismissing the point I am trying to make? I.e. it is not RIGHT that we only focus on the attacks and deaths and destruction where there are rich white people? I know that is the case. But it seems like a problem to me, not a casual given that I'm happy to dismiss. That people just say, "oh, well that's business as usual in that cesspool" is what's going to prevent these things from getting better. Things will only change if people care. That is why I posted the thread. So we have a place to give a shit. Meanwhile, innocent people are murdered. Not sure about you, but I actually do care if innocent men, women, and children die, even if they do happen to live in a "cesspool".
    ldent42 said:

Didn't I just read something about the Pakistani government ruling that it's illegal and anti-islamic to ban child marriage? Pakistan is probably gonna be our next mess.

Possibly. It is a nuclear nation...
    PJ_Soul said:

rr165892 said:

So to you, it doesn't even bear mentioning? Even though plenty of tourist-heavy metropolitcan areas elsewhere in the world suffer attacks... just not where white people are.
    Are you intentionally dismissing the point I am trying to make? I.e. it is not RIGHT that we only focus on the attacks and deaths and destruction where there are rich white people? I know that is the case. But it seems like a problem to me, not a casual given that I'm happy to dismiss. That people just say, "oh, well that's business as usual in that cesspool" is what's going to prevent these things from getting better. Things will only change if people care. That is why I posted the thread. So we have a place to give a shit. Meanwhile, innocent people are murdered. Not sure about you, but I actually do care if innocent men, women, and children die, even if they do happen to live in a "cesspool".
    Damn pj,you must be looking to spar today.whats with you?

In my first post I said I think we do care.i saw the story when evening news covered it.Even commented to my wife about it.Coverage was light but it was reported.Then I told you why I think it's not covered as much.
    It's not a "white" country issue.I can tell u we debated a lot over the boko assholes who took the girls in Africa.It got plenty of coverage.I think this story just didn't move the media meter as much.nothing more sinister.Plus there was a lot of other news breaking at same time.We have a short attention span.
    edited January 2016
    rr165892 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rr165892 said:

Damn pj,you must be looking to spar today.whats with you?

In my first post I said I think we do care.i saw the story when evening news covered it.Even commented to my wife about it.Coverage was light but it was reported.Then I told you why I think it's not covered as much.
    It's not a "white" country issue.I can tell u we debated a lot over the boko assholes who took the girls in Africa.It got plenty of coverage.I think this story just didn't move the media meter as much.nothing more sinister.Plus there was a lot of other news breaking at same time.We have a short attention span.
    Lol, sorry man. I don't think anything is really with me - I was actually kind of thinking the same about you! Our wires are just crossed I think. I thought your tone was dismissive, as though there was no point in even discussing it or having a place to talk about the stuff that does go unnoticed. Just felt like you were ignoring the idea behind the thread.

Not just talking about the one attack I mentioned - that just happened to be the most deadly recent one (there were more elsewhere). Sometimes there is some coverage (as with the university - I did post a NY Times article about it). Others aren't covered at all. Sometimes massive massacres aren't covered at all, especially in Africa. I mean really fucking barbaric horrific shit where hundreds die. Not a blip on anyone's radar for some reason. This is where we can talk about how the media fucking sucks for not covering shit (I really do find it disgusting - I'm at the point where I think the law somehow needs to step in when it comes to the job the news media is doing), and express that we give a shit when no one else seems to.... If no one cares to talk about it, the thread will fall off the first page (in a year or so, since that's how long it usually takes for something to fall off the first page these days, lol).
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Great thread idea, PJ_Soul. I hope we all learn something here. I'm sure I will.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

May I recommend PJ,you expand your news sources to include more in depth worldy reporting.I think it's out there.
    We are Myopic to a certain extent,and I think every region is.We only hear about the horrific shit and that is just a blip and then gone.
    I mean how can we fit in other news when there is so much election and weather here.lol
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    I think we do care about these acts but will agree not to the extent of the western attacks. We care more about things that make us think of us and the fact it could have been us. When Paris gets hit we can more closely relate since those people live in a society that is close to our own. It is basic human psychology. People relate and generally choose to associate with things similiar to themselves in looks and ideology.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    edited January 2016
    rr165892 said:

May I recommend PJ,you expand your news sources to include more in depth worldy reporting.I think it's out there.
    We are Myopic to a certain extent,and I think every region is.We only hear about the horrific shit and that is just a blip and then gone.
    I mean how can we fit in other news when there is so much election and weather here.lol

:confused: I know about these events because I do use those news sources. I think you are misinterpreting my post. Obviously I personally know about these attacks. Otherwise I wouldn't know to complain about the fact that they get no attention and need more. I really feel like you are perhaps still not understanding the point of this thread (or are maybe just being contrary for the sake of being a contrarian??).
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Proximity and familiarity play into it. If a Ferry sinks in Vietnam and 300 people die, you most likely go back to eating your Frosted Flakes after taking 20 seconds to ponder the horror. It's a different story if one of your H.S. classmates was on the ferry.
    Jason P said:

Proximity and familiarity play into it. If a Ferry sinks in Vietnam and 300 people die, you most likely go back to eating your Frosted Flakes after taking 20 seconds to ponder the horror. It's a different story if one of your H.S. classmates was on the ferry.

That is true - of course an actual personal connection has a huge impact.... But i don't think too many people knew anyone in the Paris attacks.
    Anyway, this is where news about attacks that most don't particularly care about because they aren't too worried about humans who don't look like them or spend money like them can be posted and discussed.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I just think that there are so many of these attacks everyday it seems it's almost like the gun violence in this country after a while it just becomes another day in the news , it's sad ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    PJ_Soul said:

If we care then why doesn't anyone talk about it unless it happens in Paris or some other Western nation? Close to no coverage on the news, no massive social media outcry, no nothing, really. It's all relative obviously. I'd argue that in a relative sense, people don't seem to care much at all.
    I didn't say we didn't know what the problem is as far as the attacks specifically. Obviously the problem is terrorism and the motives behind it. I meant figuring out why people don't care if it's not happening in the West. There are various theories there, from racism and xenophobia to expecting it to happen in certain places (which also suggests a severe bias). And why does this imbalance in how much people care matter? Because change only happens when people give a shit.

Do you have any specific ideas or proposals that will help to prevent further attacks? While I agree that it's a shame that news stories from non-majority-white countries seem to be weighted unfairly as compared to their western, white counterparts, there seems to be little to be done about actually preventing further violence.

Boots on the ground is a non-starter and even talk of direct action against the militant extremist perpetrators is more often than not met with accusations of Islamophobia, Xenophobia and war mongering.

Just to clarify, I agree with you and appreciate the point you are making. However, is just talking about these attacks enough?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

Do you have any specific ideas or proposals that will help to prevent further attacks? While I agree that it's a shame that news stories from non-majority-white countries seem to be weighted unfairly as compared to their western, white counterparts, there seems to be little to be done about actually preventing further violence.

Boots on the ground is a non-starter and even talk of direct action against the militant extremist perpetrators is more often than not met with accusations of Islamophobia, Xenophobia and war mongering.

Just to clarify, I agree with you and appreciate the point you are making. However, is just talking about these attacks enough?
    To your point they will keep happening until something changes.Question is what is that something.
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    I've brought this up before. I believe the explanation as to why we seem less affected by such events is quite simple.

The most basic human instincts are those of survival and the protection of your own family. When such attacks occur in third world countries, they basically don't set off our threat-detector. However, when they happen in a country like France or England it's close to home and it scares us. We see these people as being very akin to ourselves and thus perceive that what could happen to them could as easily happen to us.

This theory may seem to paint us in a bad light as inherently selfish beings but we can't control our most basic instincts
    rr165892 said:

dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

To your point they will keep happening until something changes.Question is what is that something.
    Yes, absolutely. That is definitely the point and the question.
    Not really Dudeman - I don't have any grand plan... but just talking about it is certainly better than than nothing. Everything has to start somewhere I suppose. Obviously it was that massive outpouring over the Paris attacks that highlighted the extreme contrast. That massive outpouring likely fueled real action, so the lack of such outpourings when other attacks happen logically leads me to assume that no real action follows.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I've brought this up before. I believe the explanation as to why we seem less affected by such events is quite simple.

The most basic human instincts are those of survival and the protection of your own family. When such attacks occur in third world countries, they basically don't set off our threat-detector. However, when they happen in a country like France or England it's close to home and it scares us. We see these people as being very akin to ourselves and thus perceive that what could happen to them could as easily happen to us.

This theory may seem to paint us in a bad light as inherently selfish beings but we can't control our most basic instincts

Quite insightful, my Irish friend.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    the Irish and Ani have it right. I don't think it's a white or black thing either. I think it's a "relatable" thing, where it becomes "if it can happen to them, it can happen to me", because we see ourselves the same as we see them.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

the Irish and Ani have it right. I don't think it's a white or black thing either. I think it's a "relatable" thing, where it becomes "if it can happen to them, it can happen to me", because we see ourselves the same as we see them.

Yes, although I think that is a big mistake, of course. The "it could never happen to me" mentality is unbelievably stupid. Major social and political upheaval and violence can happen anywhere.
  • PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

That is true - of course an actual personal connection has a huge impact.... But i don't think too many people knew anyone in the Paris attacks.
    Anyway, this is where news about attacks that most don't particularly care about because they aren't too worried about humans who don't look like them or spend money like them can be posted and discussed.
    No.

But we can all relate to being attacked while attending a concert- a pretty frightening ordeal to entertain in your mind.

This event was far from ordinary.

* And I'm not trying to dismiss your premise by saying such.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I had an argument with my cousin on Facebook as he said I need to keep it real after showing my support for the victims of the recent Paris attacks. He made a good point, what about all the third world countries where attacks happen often and no one shows their support on Facebook.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, although I think that is a big mistake, of course. The "it could never happen to me" mentality is unbelievably stupid. Major social and political upheaval and violence can happen anywhere.
    I wouldn't say it's stupid, per say, I think it's just how our brains are wired. if we can't relate to it, good or bad, our brains dismiss it.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:

I wouldn't say it's stupid, per say, I think it's just how our brains are wired. if we can't relate to it, good or bad, our brains dismiss it.

I can't really agree with that, since that is not how my brain is wired, and I know others who don't feel that way either. And it's not like we are special people or anything. I think the "it could never happen to me" thing is learned, not wired.
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I can't really agree with that, since that is not how my brain is wired, and I know others who don't feel that way either. And it's not like we are special people or anything. I think the "it could never happen to me" thing is learned, not wired.
    well I'm not saying 100% of the population is wired like that, I'm saying the majority. think of it this way: if you see an ambulance rushing down your street, you may go outside to look where it's going. if you hear an ambulance a few streets over, you probably go along about your day after the sound dissipates. it's all about how "close" it feels to a person.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited February 2016
    Dozens killed in ISIS attack in heavily populated, mainly Shiite Damascus suburb. More than 20 militia fighters with government forces among dead. Three bombs: when rescuers started showing up to rescue victims from a car bomb, 2 suicide bombers detonated themselves (one stood right next to a gas tank station). :frowning: Pretty despicable tactics, blowing up rescuers... although I suspect the US military does the same thing.

https://www.rt.com/news/330764-damascus-bomb-attack-isis/
    No PJ we dont act like those low life murdering Islamic fundamentalist douche bags.Cmon,you know better than that.