Options

Bringing kids to concerts - Experience + 10C tickets

Comments

• Options
    TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    KP_McMinn said:

I'd be so pissed if I were sitting next to you, and you had a baby. Although, I would surely ask you for a diaper to relieve myself in the seat.

bawahahahahaha
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • Options
    We took our 21 month old to the peanuts movie and she lasted 20 minutes
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    edited January 2016
    We have relatives in Amsterdam and were living in Europe at the time. ;) she's not going to Florida this year and she's pissed!! B :rofl:
    Post edited by buck502000 on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539

We took our 21 month old to the peanuts movie and she lasted 20 minutes

:lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ShanKathyShanKathy Edmonton, Alberta Posts: 308
    I took my daughters to a Tragically Hip arena show years ago and while we all had fun and enjoyed ourselves, my 10 year old did fall asleep before the encore. Kindof funny as everyone around us was on their feet rocking out. No regrets but she might have been a little too young for that experience.
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    Put on Live at the Garden, sit on the couch as you would in the stands at a show (so limited floor space, and act as if there are arm rails in-between). If she can make through the entire show (minus a couple of diaper changes, which us adulty types refer to as a "pee break") then hey, go for it. Just mind that earmuffs don't stop the punch-in-the-chest feeling from the kick drum, nor will they erase the combined aroma of alcohol, cigarettes, marijuana, & e-cigs, nor stop any drunks from acting all drunky, should they be assigned seating near you.

I really hope this is some psyche experiment for a university paper or some shit.

TL;DR: For fuck's sakes, NO. 

ಠ_ಠ
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Rockity-rockpants! Good to see you again (along with seeing your insight and wisdom are still going strong :) )
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,772
    TalonTedd said:

lolobugg said:

I think 10 year old is old enough to go.
    depends on his maturity but I know that I would've appreciated it when I was that age.

me too. He would be the model of how a great fan should act. Just no pre-party I guess.

You can do a 10 y/o at the pre-party, depending on the establishment's age policy. Some places are 21+ whenever while others might be 21+ only at night.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,772
    edited January 2016
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    Kids are only good for festivals as there is usually "kid zones" and other activities for them. Plus noise is not an issue as you are outside and can gauge your location. I wouldn't bring my ten year old to an inside show just because she would be bored and make my night miserable.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Young children at pearl jam shows was the single worst trend of 2013/2014... I know you love pj and you want to try and pass that on to your children, do it in the car with a no code cd and leave the damn kids at home for the concert... people are drinking, sometimes to excess, people are smoking weed, it's loud as fuck...

Leave your children at home. And im sorry, but to even ask about an 18 month old is totally ridiculous
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    edited January 2016
    I just keep thinking of smoking up before the show, getting to my seat and looking down to see an 18 month old baby staring up at me.
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    eddiec said:

I just keep thinking of smoking up before the show, getting to my seat and looking down to see an 18 month old baby staring up at me.

Or pulling out a bag of wine from your pants and guzzling it.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I remember all the concerts I went before I turned 3 ... actually, now that I think of it I don't remember a single thing before I turned 3 ...
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    From a mama perspective, I appreciate that you want to keep on living life and having your one and only experience everything with you. We have an only. We have taken her to guest lectures at museums, movies, acoustic night at coffee houses and all that. However, a 3+ hour PJ show that involves standing in multiple lines during the day (merch, ticket and the almighty line to get in) as well as going through security checks and all that . . . The likelihood that you could wear babykins in on your back is pretty slim and that would be your only pit option. Kiddo would be accidentally stomped to death otherwise. Headphones wouldn't be optional and the likelihood those would stay on would be slim. You couldn't bring in snacks. You probably wouldn't be able to bring in all of the baby accoutrement needed (diapers, wipes, things for entertainment) and as good as a baby as your little one is, a PJ concert is an all day affair that I'm not certain she is old enough to hold up to. She may hold up through whatever you have to go through to get to said seats or pit, but I see a major breakdown happening a few hours in. The intense clouds of pot smoke may mellow her out though . . .

Keep your lil one at home. It is a great thing to share all kinds of experiences with her. This one just isn't very baby friendly. Don't just think of her, but think of yourself continually doodling with her to keep her comfortable and think of your fellow fans. Soon enough. Just not now.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    My kid is almost 10. I never once thought of bringing him.

1. He's too young in my opinion
    2. He doesn't have a job to pay for a ticket
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    JR86440JR86440 Posts: 737
    edited January 2016
    t
    Post edited by JR86440 on
  • Options
    JR86440JR86440 Posts: 737
    JR86440 said:

That would be nuts bringing your kid at 18 months. I took my daughter to see Eddie Vedder show when she was 8 or 9. Sitting down. One guitar. The first night it hurt her ears so much we had to go to Home Depot the next day to buy those super duper ear muff things that you put over your head to cover your whole ear so she could enjoy the next night's show. She was old enough to tell me her ears hurt. An 18 month old will be in pain for 3 hours

• Options
    JM44800JM44800 Posts: 106
    My son is 6, I am bringing him to one of the 3 shows I am attending. He knows most of the Pearl Jam songs by heart, way more than most casual fans that just want the hits. I could ask him right now to sing Hard to Imagine, one of his favorite songs, and he would have no problem scream singing it at the top of his lungs and off key. :) He has his own playlist on Spotify of Pearl Jam songs that he likes the most and that he chose. He also knows it will be a late night for him and that there will be people there acting like drunk ass holes. He's ready to see a show in my opinion and I am not worried about anyone else around him, drunk, high or otherwise. I have taken him to professional football games, not apples to apples comparison, but very similar environment in that it's loud, people are drunk, high, obnoxious, and screaming. He was fine as were the drunks around him who were screaming obscenities at the top of their lungs and drinking and smoking cigarettes all day. I have taken him to other concerts, Gov't Mule for example, and he was great! Tired but great. I would rather have a 6 year old enjoying himself and having the time of his life, than someone that is pissed that they are not playing this song or that song and are sitting or talking through half the show because they don't know the songs. I wouldn't expect or ask anyone to act differently because my son is there. Any of the shows I have gone to, and it's a lot, people go about their business and do their own thing regardless of who is next to them. If someone feels uncomfortable because my son is there, then it's on you and whatever hangups you have and not because anything my son is doing or saying or making you do. I get that people have different parenting styles and I respect anyone's decision to not bring your kid. I personally would not bring an 18 month old, but have no problem with those that would or have done so in the past.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    JM44800 said:

My son is 6, I am bringing him to one of the 3 shows I am attending. He knows most of the Pearl Jam songs by heart, way more than most casual fans that just want the hits. I could ask him right now to sing Hard to Imagine, one of his favorite songs, and he would have no problem scream singing it at the top of his lungs and off key. :) He has his own playlist on Spotify of Pearl Jam songs that he likes the most and that he chose. He also knows it will be a late night for him and that there will be people there acting like drunk ass holes. He's ready to see a show in my opinion and I am not worried about anyone else around him, drunk, high or otherwise. I have taken him to professional football games, not apples to apples comparison, but very similar environment in that it's loud, people are drunk, high, obnoxious, and screaming. He was fine as were the drunks around him who were screaming obscenities at the top of their lungs and drinking and smoking cigarettes all day. I have taken him to other concerts, Gov't Mule for example, and he was great! Tired but great. I would rather have a 6 year old enjoying himself and having the time of his life, than someone that is pissed that they are not playing this song or that song and are sitting or talking through half the show because they don't know the songs. I wouldn't expect or ask anyone to act differently because my son is there. Any of the shows I have gone to, and it's a lot, people go about their business and do their own thing regardless of who is next to them. If someone feels uncomfortable because my son is there, then it's on you and whatever hangups you have and not because anything my son is doing or saying or making you do. I get that people have different parenting styles and I respect anyone's decision to not bring your kid. I personally would not bring an 18 month old, but have no problem with those that would or have done so in the past.

as long as he knows all the lyrics to Hard to Image, then he is OK in my book.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Took my son when he was about 16 months to see B52's and GoGo's (wife wanted to go) in small outdoor venue in summer where we sat in the back of the lawn area. No problems. Took both son and daughter (4 and 3 at the time) to see last 2 acts of GOTR tour for Old Crow Medicine Show and Mumford and Sons. Danced with them way way at the back end of the high school football stadium in Troy OH. They did not need ear protection cause it wasn't really loud that far back, and they didn't complain. Also took them same year to see Rusted Root in Cincy indoor, but had ear plugs and noise cancelling headphones on them. Was planning to take them to NY to the Global Citizens but plans fell through and it would have been a huge mistake, so glad we didn't go. They keep asking to go with us to shows. But not going to take them to see PJ indoors until they are around 10 or so. Gotta be selfish and have more fun with just my wife or alone.

Not a problem if the kids are really into it. Just 18 mo is little young for indoor venue. Expect some flack if you do. I wouldn't care, unless you were crazy mom shushing everyone around you when your kid falls asleep...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    ham_on_ryeham_on_rye Indiana Dunes Posts: 205
    my2hands said:

Young children at pearl jam shows was the single worst trend of 2013/2014... I know you love pj and you want to try and pass that on to your children, do it in the car with a no code cd and leave the damn kids at home for the concert... people are drinking, sometimes to excess, people are smoking weed, it's loud as fuck...

Leave your children at home. And im sorry, but to even ask about an 18 month old is totally ridiculous

As a parent, I have to agree with all of this. I was in GA in Memphis and it was crazy. I am 5'2" and got elbows in the face all night by the drunk douche in front of me.My husband stood behind me and was dry humped by the guy behind him because he was too drunk to stand up on his own. The girl next to us was so wasted that she could not stand upright for 5 full minutes. No kid should ever be in GA in my opinion; I do not care how many songs they know by heart. Also, a night out is a rare event for some people and they should not have to sensor their behavior because of young ears. The GA section is like a crazy packed bar, not a place for kids.
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    my2hands said:

:clap:
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Anything under 12-13 get a sitter ;)
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    TC282314TC282314 Posts: 380
    This is about the baby. Does an 18 month old want to go see Pearl Jam? Nope.
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    why? are u nuts
  • Options
    CW55354CW55354 Posts: 200
    I have a daughter that will be 4 in July that loves Pearl Jam and the Ramones. I'd love to have her go to a Pearl Jam concert with me and my wife, but crazy stuff happens at shows. It's a looong time for a kid to be there. And if she has a melt down, we'll have to leave early. Not fair for me to be upset with her if I have to leave the concert. We are planning on traveling to a few shows and we are bringing my sister with us. If you don't mind sharing a hotel room with another adult and you are driving, it won't cost much extra and you get some alone time with your spouse, which if you are like me, is pretty rare. My sister gets a free trip and a chance to bond with my daughter. But I plan on bringing her to the 2020 tour. I think there's a rumor thread that says it's happening...
  • Options
    I appreciate you coming here for some legitimate advice. To all of those inane responses you got in this thread, I would just ignore. To the very valid and concerned advice, obviously I would take. That age is tough for sure, even if the child is great. I would agree with the advice to not take an 18 month old. It is certainly information overload for the child. That being said, you are the parents and you will certainly make the best decision for your child. I think it is awesome that you want to expose your child to an experience like this, but in the end I would have to agree with the majority here. Leave baby at home and either get a sitter or sit this one out. I certainly have foregone some shows, but in the end I know that soon enough I will be exposing my boy to one of the most venerable, influential, and appreciated bands to come along in my lifetime. I hope you can make it to a show this time around.
    "When a person's soul is born in a country, nets are flung at it to hold it back from flight. You speak to me of nationality, language, religion. I shall try to fly past those nets." - James Joyce
  • Options
    you may want to wait until she can actually remember going. my wife and i feel the same way about waiting until our children are old enough to bring them to Disney. Before the little squirt 4 years old, they probably wont remember anything. At this stage it would be selfish on your part to subject her to that scene. Forget about being the "cool parent."

All I know is during "Release" the last thing i'd want to smell is a poopy diaper (pun is most definitely intended!). leaving her home or with a sitter will save you money and frustration if she will have to leave because she cant handle it. her mood will most likely dictate whether you stay or not. why do that?
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    This is about the baby. Does an 18 month old want to go see Pearl Jam? Nope.