• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited January 2016
    BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

Hang on one sec...There are people on here who still think Obama is doing a good job?! Wow. Just wow.

Check your facts. Record job growth, record stock markets gains, very few American lives lost in conflict, and repaired respect from the rest of the world.
    You're going to talk about stock market gains on this week of all weeks? You're going to talk about repaired respect? Other then my new Prime Minister I don't think there is a leader in the world who respects your President. The global economy is failing, the EU is in a state of collapse, a full on Sunni/Shia war is about to get underway, North Korea is testing a hydrogen bomb, there is a massive refugee crisis, and ISIS is both gaining ground and showing global reach. Nothing is going well and you are a fool to suggest otherwise. Is this all Obama's fault? No but he is an empty suit providing zero leadership during extremely turbulent times.
    Chinese market volatility has absolutely ZERO to do with Obama's leadership. This conservative BS about the world not respecting Obama is total fabricated BS, there is no evidence to support it. North Korea's claim hasn't been settled yet, but it looks bunk. Rattling off the current world conflicts is a total distraction, you could come up with a similar (or worse) list from each Presidency, including those considered "good". You have zero metrics with which to discredit him, the only legitimate claim most cons could make is that he has shown exactly how childish and weak the conservative movement has become.
    Right...must not rattle off world conflicts. Nothing to see here folks. Everyone pay attention to the beautiful stock market! Celebrate with rgambs the wonderful corporate earnings that we are all so fortunate to partake in! Thank you Mr. President!
    again, i ask you and the other canadians to help participate in stopping these other world conflicts.

it is really easy to sit back and throw stones when your country has zero skin in the game.
    I agree with you on this and have been voting for the party that wants to participate! I am doing what I can! Unfortunately our country just elected the Canadian version of your current President...an empty suit who looks good but has zero experience. As far as the Loonie is concerned... it is not an accident that it has been tanking. Alberta elected the NDP while our federal government went liberal. All levels of government have decided to spend like crazy while the energy sector is being attacked from all sides. Foreign investors have taken notice of these facts and are fleeing out currency. At some point progressives have to realize the consequences of their oh so noble actions.
    Oh man.......what a load. It's no wonder you stay far away from the Canadian politics thread.

An American might believe this BS....but you and I know better.
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    dignin said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

Hang on one sec...There are people on here who still think Obama is doing a good job?! Wow. Just wow.

Check your facts. Record job growth, record stock markets gains, very few American lives lost in conflict, and repaired respect from the rest of the world.
    You're going to talk about stock market gains on this week of all weeks? You're going to talk about repaired respect? Other then my new Prime Minister I don't think there is a leader in the world who respects your President. The global economy is failing, the EU is in a state of collapse, a full on Sunni/Shia war is about to get underway, North Korea is testing a hydrogen bomb, there is a massive refugee crisis, and ISIS is both gaining ground and showing global reach. Nothing is going well and you are a fool to suggest otherwise. Is this all Obama's fault? No but he is an empty suit providing zero leadership during extremely turbulent times.
    Chinese market volatility has absolutely ZERO to do with Obama's leadership. This conservative BS about the world not respecting Obama is total fabricated BS, there is no evidence to support it. North Korea's claim hasn't been settled yet, but it looks bunk. Rattling off the current world conflicts is a total distraction, you could come up with a similar (or worse) list from each Presidency, including those considered "good". You have zero metrics with which to discredit him, the only legitimate claim most cons could make is that he has shown exactly how childish and weak the conservative movement has become.
    Right...must not rattle off world conflicts. Nothing to see here folks. Everyone pay attention to the beautiful stock market! Celebrate with rgambs the wonderful corporate earnings that we are all so fortunate to partake in! Thank you Mr. President!
    again, i ask you and the other canadians to help participate in stopping these other world conflicts.

it is really easy to sit back and throw stones when your country has zero skin in the game.
    I agree with you on this and have been voting for the party that wants to participate! I am doing what I can! Unfortunately our country just elected the Canadian version of your current President...an empty suit who looks good but has zero experience. As far as the Loonie is concerned... it is not an accident that it has been tanking. Alberta elected the NDP while our federal government went liberal. All levels of government have decided to spend like crazy while the energy sector is being attacked from all sides. Foreign investors have taken notice of these facts and are fleeing out currency. At some point progressives have to realize the consequences of their oh so noble actions.
    Oh man.......what a load. It's no wonder you stay far away from the Canadian politics thread.

I stay away from the Canadian politics thread because it's boring.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    BS44325 said:

dignin said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

No doubt, politics should be about vitriol...........and conservative lunacy
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    BS44325 said:

dignin said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

Probably because you don't get paid to be there. ;)
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    dignin said:

BS44325 said:

dignin said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

Probably because you don't get paid to be there. ;)
    Haaaa....there it is again.
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited January 2016
    Listened to Maron's pod cast with Obama yesterday. He's real, gets politics, life, happiness, equality. Well spoken.

Then I thought of Dubya and Trump and Cruz and all the other republican blow hards and just shake my head in amazement that there are people that support that excrement. Humans are fking stupid, insecure, selfish and mean.

Obama will be viewed as one of the best presidents in American history.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    callen said:

Listened to Maron's pod cast with Obama yesterday. He's real, gets politics, life, happiness, equality. Well spoken.

Then I thought of Dubya and Trump and Cruz and all the other republican blow hards and just shake my head in amazement that there are people that support that excrement. Humans are fking stupid, insecure, selfish and mean.

Come on man, I just spilled my coffee all over myself from extreme laughter after reading your post. You must warn us before making a statement like that…jee-wiz. HOPE and CHANGE, HOPE and CHANGE…HA, HA
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited January 2016
    muskydan said:

callen said:

Come on man, I just spilled my coffee all over myself from extreme laughter after reading your post. You must warn us before making a statement like that…jee-wiz. HOPE and CHANGE, HOPE and CHANGE…HA, HA
    Most consecutive years of job growth in history (still major problems with wage growth)

Saved auto industry

Ended two wars

Killed Bin Laden, al-awlaki and many others

Implemented health care and regardless of your position, some form of universal health care is here to stay. It is going to change dramatically over the years into a program that is much better, but he will be seen as the beginning of universal health care in this country

Marriage equality and ended don't ask, don't tell

Those are all major major accomplishments that will change the course of politics for generations, in my view in a very good way.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/01/obamas-legacy-chait.html#

In my view, Obama has had a wildly more successful presidency than the golden boy, Clinton.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    personal experience: cops hate democrats/liberals. a buddy of mine, who is a city cop, trashes Trudeau in very general and broad ways at every chance he can on Facebook ("trudeau sucks!" "all of you who voted for him can apologize now"). when I ask him follow up questions as to his position, he has never once answered. why? because he can't. all he thinks he knows is that liberals put criminals back on the streets and are soft on crime, and that is it.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

personal experience: cops hate democrats/liberals. a buddy of mine, who is a city cop, trashes Trudeau in very general and broad ways at every chance he can on Facebook ("trudeau sucks!" "all of you who voted for him can apologize now"). when I ask him follow up questions as to his position, he has never once answered. why? because he can't. all he thinks he knows is that liberals put criminals back on the streets and are soft on crime, and that is it.

All comes back to demographics and education. White, blue collar and fairly uneducated folks tend to vote one way...

http://www.people-press.org/2015/04/07/a-deep-dive-into-party-affiliation/

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

muskydan said:

callen said:

Most consecutive years of job growth in history (still major problems with wage growth).

Saved auto industry

Ended two wars

Implemented health care and regardless of your position, some form of universal health care is here to stay. It is going to change dramatically over the years into a program that is much better, but he will be seen as the beginning of universal health care in this country

Those are all major major accomplishments that will change the course of politics for generations, in my view in a very good way.

In my view, Obama has had a wildly more successful presidency than the golden boy, Clinton.
    I'm not an Obama hater. He was a better choice than McCain would have been, and probably Romney as well. But for every point, there's a counter-point. If we're going to tout accomplishments, then they should come with a few disclaimers. You included one in your first point about job growth. I'll help with others.

Job Growth - still have a huge wage gap issue.

Saved Auto Industry - any president at that time would have done the same thing. Obama's economic recovery efforts are no different than what W. had started. Wall Street and Detroit bail-outs were a fete accompli. Obama didn't do anything special here.

Ended 2 wars - yet recommitted troops. Since Dec 21 we've had 7 US soldiers die in Afghanistan. But luckily he ended 2 wars. We pay $111 million per day for the past almost 500 days on wars in Iraq and Syria. But luckily he ended 2 wars.

Kill Bin Laden - no argument there. Glad that one got taken care of.

Healthcare Reform - "if you like your current insurance, you can keep it". Actually, you can't. As has been discussed ad nauseum, this has worked out well for some, worked out poorly for others. If you didn't have insurance, you likely do now, so that's great. If you had insurance, it is likely more expensive, has higher deductibles, and that's not so great. It will get fixed, and hopefully we'll end up with a system that is good for all, but it won't be Obama's doing. And who knows if Obama's plan is better than what Romney would have done (or perhaps Romney's plan would have been just as shitty for many of us).

Marriage Equality - glad his daughter was finally able to make him see the light. He was a little late, but came around. It was mostly the states leading this one, just as the states are leading the MJ legalization charge. The Feds are followers on these sorts of issues, so it wasn't like Obama provided any sort of leadership here.

I'll add an accomplishment that I think is great:
    Reestablished diplomatic relations with Cuba. This was long overdue, and I'm glad he got it done.

And there are issues on the other side of that balance sheet to temper some of the accomplishments (there is good and bad with every administration, so this isn't unique to Obama):
    The slowest U.S. recovery since the end of World War II is even weaker than everyone thought.

Debt has skyrocketed. "One measure of the size of America's debt -- the debt-to-GDP ratio -- has increased from 48% the year Obama took office to 75% now."

Tuition costs are increasing at astronomical rates.

As Obama himself said in his 2010 SOTU address:
    "We can't afford another so-called economic "expansion" like the one from the last decade, what some call the "lost decade," where jobs grew more slowly than during any prior expansion, where the income of the average American household declined while the cost of health care and tuition reached record highs"

Ooops.

So temper these "major" accomplishments. He's doing a fine job. I don't have a beef with him, but certainly wouldn't put him on a pedestal. He's just a president. Presidents don't have nearly the power they need to affect change - so I take the praise for the good things, and the rants for the bad things that have occurred on his watch with a grain of salt.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:

muskydan said:

callen said:

Most consecutive years of job growth in history (still major problems with wage growth).

Saved auto industry

Ended two wars

I'm not an Obama hater. He was a better choice than McCain would have been, and probably Romney as well. But for every point, there's a counter-point. If we're going to tout accomplishments, then they should come with a few disclaimers. You included one in your first point about job growth. I'll help with others.

Job Growth - still have a huge wage gap issue.

Saved Auto Industry - any president at that time would have done the same thing. Obama's economic recovery efforts are no different than what W. had started. Wall Street and Detroit bail-outs were a fete accompli. Obama didn't do anything special here.

Ended 2 wars - yet recommitted troops. Since Dec 21 we've had 7 US soldiers die in Afghanistan. But luckily he ended 2 wars. We pay $111 million per day for the past almost 500 days on wars in Iraq and Syria. But luckily he ended 2 wars.

Kill Bin Laden - no argument there. Glad that one got taken care of.

Healthcare Reform - "if you like your current insurance, you can keep it". Actually, you can't. As has been discussed ad nauseum, this has worked out well for some, worked out poorly for others. If you didn't have insurance, you likely do now, so that's great. If you had insurance, it is likely more expensive, has higher deductibles, and that's not so great. It will get fixed, and hopefully we'll end up with a system that is good for all, but it won't be Obama's doing. And who knows if Obama's plan is better than what Romney would have done (or perhaps Romney's plan would have been just as shitty for many of us).

Marriage Equality - glad his daughter was finally able to make him see the light. He was a little late, but came around. It was mostly the states leading this one, just as the states are leading the MJ legalization charge. The Feds are followers on these sorts of issues, so it wasn't like Obama provided any sort of leadership here.

I'll add an accomplishment that I think is great:
    Reestablished diplomatic relations with Cuba. This was long overdue, and I'm glad he got it done.

And there are issues on the other side of that balance sheet to temper some of the accomplishments (there is good and bad with every administration, so this isn't unique to Obama):
    The slowest U.S. recovery since the end of World War II is even weaker than everyone thought.

Debt has skyrocketed. "One measure of the size of America's debt -- the debt-to-GDP ratio -- has increased from 48% the year Obama took office to 75% now."

Tuition costs are increasing at astronomical rates.

As Obama himself said in his 2010 SOTU address:
    "We can't afford another so-called economic "expansion" like the one from the last decade, what some call the "lost decade," where jobs grew more slowly than during any prior expansion, where the income of the average American household declined while the cost of health care and tuition reached record highs"

Ooops.

So temper these "major" accomplishments. He's doing a fine job. I don't have a beef with him, but certainly wouldn't put him on a pedestal. He's just a president. Presidents don't have nearly the power they need to affect change - so I take the praise for the good things, and the rants for the bad things that have occurred on his watch with a grain of salt.
    Good stuff here and I agree with much of it, especially on the wages front. When compared to other recent presidents though, how does this stack up? There is a ton of good stuff here. I agree that he doesn't have that much power and isn't responsible for all of this, but a lot of good has happened over the past 8 years that is being drowned out by nonsense

I also agree that he got lucky on the social issues and that it was just time, but the fact is, it happened under him and that is a great thing.

I am not enough of a historian to know how common this is, but I feel like he has spent a good amount of time cleaning up messes from the previous 16 years. From Clinton deregulating Wall Street and implementing Don't Ask Don't Tell, to ending the wars, killing Bin Laden, etc. And I have no doubt that the next president will have to clean up some of his mess, namely healthcare. I noted that healthcare isn't perfect and has a long way to go, but it will get there eventually. There is no repealing it now and we are moving in the right direction.

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I agree with you, and don't really have any issues with what you just wrote. I think a lot of good has happened over the past 8 years, too. I'm not looking for a repeal of the ACA, since I agree that the train has left the station, so at this point I'll just be a voice for change to make it manageable and beneficial for everyone who needs it. As far as how Obama stacks up against other recent presidents, I'd give him pretty good marks. I thought W. was an absolute abomination. I thought Clinton did a fine job as a caretaker president. I thought Bush Sr. was a bright and intelligent foreign policy guy, but didn't really understand domestic issues. I thought Reagan provided the country with hope and pride at a time when things were falling apart, and think his heart was in the right place, but we're still recovering from some of his policies. I thought Carter had a heart of gold, but was in way over his head and completely out of his league (which caused us to need someone like Reagan). So given all of that, I think Obama has been just fine. I really do have low expectations for presidents and even lower expectations for whichever knucklehead is elected this time around, since I don't see any of them leading the country effectively.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2016

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

That is a massive insult to the Canadians who have lost their lives or their limbs in international conflicts. They played a huge part in the war in Afghanistan, they are involved in the conflict in Syria... so what are you talking about? What exactly are you expecting from a nation with 35 million people, and small military? Not sure you should be so smug, what with the USA's refusal to join WWI any kind of full scale way and refusal to fight in WWII until after Pearl Harbour. Not that I'm criticizing that per se, but I just find your accusation of Canada having "no skin in the game" a little odd, especially coming from you. As though going to war is a pissing contest.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Think Gimmies comments are for select Canadians.

I find most Canadians to be much more reasonable than my fellow Amerkins. Gives me hope we can evolve to your positions.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

That is a massive insult to the Canadians who have lost their lives or their limbs in international conflicts. They played a huge part in the war in Afghanistan, they are involved in the conflict in Syria... so what are you talking about? What exactly are you expecting from a nation with 35 million people, and small military? Not sure you should be so smug, what with the USA's refusal to join WWI any kind of full scale way and refusal to fight in WWII until after Pearl Harbour. Not that I'm criticizing that per se, but I just find your accusation of Canada having "no skin in the game" a little odd, especially coming from you. As though going to war is a pissing contest.
    i am not insulting the canadians who lost their lives and limbs in international conflicts. i am thankful for their service.
    i am insulting a certain section or the canadian population who sit there and just bash our president and shit on him at every chance. they blame him for everything wrong with my country and somehow blame him for things that are wrong in your country.

i am not expecting so much from your country per se, just from the people who sit around and criticize mine. these people don't realize that obama can't do 90% of his agenda simply because one party is intransigent and refuses to even debate things. they prevent bills from coming to the house floor, jobs bill anyone? they refuse to do anything and continue to complain that nothing is getting done. as an american who works with vets it gets tiring having to come here and read that stuff.

woodrow wilson was a pacifist. he ran on being a pacifist and he was elected on that platform. he wanted to avoid world war I. we got involved when the lusitania(sp?) was sunk killing hundreds of americans. it was the equivalent of pearl harbor and 9/11 at the time. we committed troops. the brits and the french wanted american soldiers to be part of blended units. general john pershing refused to commit americans to mixed units. he wanted an american army. america was not on a war footing during WWI. it took time to recruit and train the troops. it took time to manufacture and arm the troops, and it took months of additional training once the americans were in country. the war was nearly over when we got involved. sometimes i think we got involved so that we can have a hand in the peace and have a seat at the table and a hand in the league of nations. we have been, to a certain extent, on a war footing ever since. world war II was the same. it was viewed as a european problem and an asian problem. we get attacked, we join the war. that is the pattern of history. iraq and vietnam aside.

i am not trying to insult ALL canadians. just the ignorant ones.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • ^^^
    That's understandable.
    But most of our fellow citizens don't understand that we are allies with you and if the going gets rough we will get dirty too if need be.

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

i am not insulting the canadians who lost their lives and limbs in international conflicts. i am thankful for their service.
    i am insulting a certain section or the canadian population who sit there and just bash our president and shit on him at every chance. they blame him for everything wrong with my country and somehow blame him for things that are wrong in your country.

i am not expecting so much from your country per se, just from the people who sit around and criticize mine. these people don't realize that obama can't do 90% of his agenda simply because one party is intransigent and refuses to even debate things. they prevent bills from coming to the house floor, jobs bill anyone? they refuse to do anything and continue to complain that nothing is getting done. as an american who works with vets it gets tiring having to come here and read that stuff.

woodrow wilson was a pacifist. he ran on being a pacifist and he was elected on that platform. he wanted to avoid world war I. we got involved when the lusitania(sp?) was sunk killing hundreds of americans. it was the equivalent of pearl harbor and 9/11 at the time. we committed troops. the brits and the french wanted american soldiers to be part of blended units. general john pershing refused to commit americans to mixed units. he wanted an american army. america was not on a war footing during WWI. it took time to recruit and train the troops. it took time to manufacture and arm the troops, and it took months of additional training once the americans were in country. the war was nearly over when we got involved. sometimes i think we got involved so that we can have a hand in the peace and have a seat at the table and a hand in the league of nations. we have been, to a certain extent, on a war footing ever since. world war II was the same. it was viewed as a european problem and an asian problem. we get attacked, we join the war. that is the pattern of history. iraq and vietnam aside.

but then why do you welcome criticisms from non-americans when it's directed at the republican party, such as myself?

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

but then why do you welcome criticisms from non-americans when it's directed at the republican party, such as myself?

that's not always the case.

i welcome it when it is warranted. obama has done plenty to warrant international criticism.

it really bothers me when the international critics blame him for things that are out of his control, and they use fox news outright lies to justify their criticisms. example of that is that obama had a filibuster-proof majority for the first 2 years of his presidency. that is not the case. in addition, he had a party that decided to block every single thing on his agenda the moment he was sworn in. most people who are not american don't realize it.

as far as criticizing republicans goes, most of the things they are criticized for actually happened. can you imagine a canadian political party holding the same vote to repeal a law more than 60 times when they know that whatever they pass will not overturn the law? it is insanity.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

i welcome it when it is warranted. obama has done plenty to warrant international criticism.

it really bothers me when the international critics blame him for things that are out of his control, and they use fox news outright lies to justify their criticisms. example of that is that obama had a filibuster-proof majority for the first 2 years of his presidency. that is not the case. in addition, he had a party that decided to block every single thing on his agenda the moment he was sworn in. most people who are not american don't realize it.

as far as criticizing republicans goes, most of the things they are criticized for actually happened. can you imagine a canadian political party holding the same vote to repeal a law more than 60 times when they know that whatever they pass will not overturn the law? it is insanity.
    I've never noticed anyone but godfather source fox news.

All I meant was, your comment seemed to imply that non-american sentiment was not welcome unless it fit your agenda. I think any political power is fair game for praise or criticism, as it affects us all, not just domestics, regardless of where someone lives.

your opinion, or Byrnzie's opinion, on Israel matters just as much as someone who lives there, for example, in my opinion.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

All I meant was, your comment seemed to imply that non-american sentiment was not welcome unless it fit your agenda. I think any political power is fair game for praise or criticism, as it affects us all, not just domestics, regardless of where someone lives.

your opinion, or Byrnzie's opinion, on Israel matters just as much as someone who lives there, for example, in my opinion.

Gimmes maybe(ok,sometimes)but Byrnzies were very biased and were borderline whacked in the other direction.I know that's not a popular opinion but it's mine.
    rr165892 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

Gimmes maybe(ok,sometimes)but Byrnzies were very biased and were borderline whacked in the other direction.I know that's not a popular opinion but it's mine.
    to me it's irrelevant if it was biased or not. any opinion should be valid.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

rr165892 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

byrnzie was one of the most intelligent posters that i have ever come across on these boards. i don't know of anybody who is more well-read than he is. especially on the israeli occupation. i don't know what you would call "whacked" if everything he ever posted the same thing that all major countries (minus the us of course) have said about israel and the occupation and the crimes against the palestinians. when he was banned, the collective IQ of AMT dropped a few points.

edited January 2016

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

it is not just "fox news" links, or their website.

it is worse than that. it is the "fox news narrative" that has permeated our national political consciousness. it is when their commentators spout outright lies on air and other tv personalities pick up on them and use them in their news articles, op-eds, and their own tv shows. they have americans convinced that obama is a secret kenyan muslim who hates america and is trying to destroy it from the white house. complete and utter bullshit creeps into our political process. and those of low intellect soak it up and perpetuate it.

to me, all non-american opinions are valid and welcome. i will respect and listen to all of them as long as they are based in reality, not the fox news narrative.
    Post edited by gimmesometruth27 on

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited January 2016

rr165892 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

byrnzie was one of the most intelligent posters that i have ever come across on these boards. i don't know of anybody who is more well-read than he is. especially on the israeli occupation. i don't know what you would call "whacked" if everything he ever posted the same thing that all major countries (minus the us of course) have said about israel and the occupation and the crimes against the palestinians. when he was banned, the collective IQ of AMT dropped a few points.
    No doubt he was a well read,smart guy who backed up his opinions with data.But he also was very biased,borderline rascist and if you didn't agree with his very pro Muslim /radical spin on things you were in for a fight.Theres a reason he was banned.I know some of you guys worship him for his extreme views and heavy anti Israel banter.Each to there own.I thought he was a argumentative dick.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2016
    ^^ I agree with that assessment.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    rr165892 said:

No doubt he was a well read,smart guy who backed up his opinions with data.But he also was very biased,borderline rascist and if you didn't agree with his very pro Muslim /radical spin on things you were in for a fight.Theres a reason he was banned.I know some of you guys worship him for his extreme views and heavy anti Israel banter.Each to there own.I thought he was a argumentative dick.

I met him in real life and he is very cool and a very nice guy.

He was argumentative becuase he was well read and very smart. No matter how many times he stated opinions which were backed up facts he presented, it was followed up by......'yeah, but' insert opinions with no fact. Not always of course, but more often than not.

That was also a time when this board had a few more loons on it that are no longer present. They brought up nothing but opinions backed up with falsehoods that made his blood boil.

Unforunately, you can't call a spade a spade here. Sometimes it is warranted.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Is this a fact?
    The US is currently bombing:
    - Syria,
    - Iraq,
    - Afghanistan,
    - Pakistan,
    - Yemen,
    - Somalia,
    and now
    - Libya (again)
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258

rr165892 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

Yeah I'd say quite a few is correct and I'm no where in your league or his when it comes to well informed posters ,,,
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Looks like we lost the Scalia thread for some reason? I'll just leave this here instead:

"...I changed by not changing at all..."