Some facts for the Obama haters

Comments

• callencallen Posts: 6,388
    ACA rocks. I'm not now held hostage by my employer giving me the opportunity to leave and start my own business. Also if I'm fired and have little income I can still go to DR.

I have someone close that found a decent plan at a fair price. Pre existing conditions would have prohibited finding coverage in past. Prescriptions are affordable.

Is it perfect, no. But frinkin rocks from my perspective.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG

jeffbr said:

rr165892 said:

Obamacare is conservative as hell. Liberals hate it....but the right is so ignorant they hate it just because Obama passed it. If Romney would have won they would embrace it. Total hypocrites.

I could care less if Obama or the Dems passed it.It sucks because it is not a good for the healthcare system as a whole.Although a couple of parts are worthy,many other parts are not.It is doing more harm than good. And it's costing regular folks a lot more money.As an employer who has paid my peoples insurance costs for 2 decades,I can tell you my employees now pay more for shittier coverage.Just look at how big pharma benefits from this shit.That should tell you a lot.
    ^ This. I know my deductible and out of pocket costs shot through the roof (making it so I can't afford to use my insurance), my premiums went up, and my coverage is worse. My wife couldn't renew her policy, and we just got to sit down and pick between one of the shitty policies on the health exchange or adding her to my shitty policy for way too much money. Pre-ACA I used to go to my doctor, took care of necessary exams/procedures, and had a couple of medications I took. Post-ACA I no longer visit a doctor, I no longer have wellness/preventative care check-ups, and have dropped any meds I used to take. The only thing my insurance is good for is keeping the fucking IRS off my ass and ticking the box that says I was covered by a qualified health plan for the year. The rich were unaffected by the ACA. The very poor benefited from the ACA with subsidized coverage. The vast middle class again takes it in the shorts. I don't care whether it was passed by Republicans, Democrats, Obama, Romney, Bush, Trump, or whomever. I just know I got screwed by its passage. I'd like to see it repealed, and either get the gov't completely out of the insurance game, or go all-in with some sort of single-payer system. What we have now is a grand compromise that delivered very little and costs us dearly.

Lots of things are better under Obama than Bush, but this isn't one of them.
    It might not be better for YOU but it is better for millions of others. A tax increase won't be "better" for the rich but it will benefit the majority.

That's how life works.
    Whom is it better for? I had GREAT insurance from my old company. When I left I didn't renew the policy so I had to use Obamacare.
    It's horrible. It costs me DOUBLE of what it cost before and I have a fraction of the coverage.

I hope someone fixes this. As I see it I'm filling the profits of a few people rather than helping the mass of people.
    You seriously can't see outside of your bubble?

It is better for the millions that could not get insurance because they had pre-existing conditions. It is better for the millions that could get cut from their plans because they developed cancer or another horrible disease. It is better for the millions who were unable to afford insurance and now can because of the income subsidies. It is better for the insurance companies as well....unfortunately.

Yes it sucks for a lot of people. But what you are experiencing is nothing different that what others have been experiencing for years before the act.
    What bubble? I was all for Obamacare until I realized what it was really doing. Costing people money.

I am still for everyone to have affordable healthcare but this isn't it. Costs go up 10% a year no matter what.

It needs some tweaking. Serious tweaking.
    Sure it costs. And my employer plan costs go up every year.

Millions now have coverage and are paying in. Getting preventative care. Staying out of ER's.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    So we just shifted the burden.it is not a fix.
    Enjoy it while it lasts.it will be gone in 2017.no doubt
    rr165892 said:

So we just shifted the burden.it is not a fix.
    Enjoy it while it lasts.it will be gone in 2017.no doubt

Shift from whom to whom?
  • callen said:

ACA rocks. I'm not now held hostage by my employer giving me the opportunity to leave and start my own business. Also if I'm fired and have little income I can still go to DR.

I have someone close that found a decent plan at a fair price. Pre existing conditions would have prohibited finding coverage in past. Prescriptions are affordable.

If you couldn't get coverage I can see how this is great for someone. For me being someone who had previously had coverage and then went to get my own coverage and reading the fine print the whole thing just isn't very good IMHO. I and my employer paid HALF of what my plan covers now and the coverage is HALF as good.

Ask your friend to read on the costs and actual coverage.

Here are some articles that talk about both our points.
    http://www.healthjoy.com/affordable-care-act-2015/
    http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/healthcare/264138-the-affordable-care-act-another-christmas-bah-humbug

They both talk about my major concerns of rising costs...

Again I think it's great for some but needs some serious fine tuning.

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936

jeffbr said:

rr165892 said:

Obamacare is conservative as hell. Liberals hate it....but the right is so ignorant they hate it just because Obama passed it. If Romney would have won they would embrace it. Total hypocrites.

I could care less if Obama or the Dems passed it.It sucks because it is not a good for the healthcare system as a whole.Although a couple of parts are worthy,many other parts are not.It is doing more harm than good. And it's costing regular folks a lot more money.As an employer who has paid my peoples insurance costs for 2 decades,I can tell you my employees now pay more for shittier coverage.Just look at how big pharma benefits from this shit.That should tell you a lot.
    ^ This. I know my deductible and out of pocket costs shot through the roof (making it so I can't afford to use my insurance), my premiums went up, and my coverage is worse. My wife couldn't renew her policy, and we just got to sit down and pick between one of the shitty policies on the health exchange or adding her to my shitty policy for way too much money. Pre-ACA I used to go to my doctor, took care of necessary exams/procedures, and had a couple of medications I took. Post-ACA I no longer visit a doctor, I no longer have wellness/preventative care check-ups, and have dropped any meds I used to take. The only thing my insurance is good for is keeping the fucking IRS off my ass and ticking the box that says I was covered by a qualified health plan for the year. The rich were unaffected by the ACA. The very poor benefited from the ACA with subsidized coverage. The vast middle class again takes it in the shorts. I don't care whether it was passed by Republicans, Democrats, Obama, Romney, Bush, Trump, or whomever. I just know I got screwed by its passage. I'd like to see it repealed, and either get the gov't completely out of the insurance game, or go all-in with some sort of single-payer system. What we have now is a grand compromise that delivered very little and costs us dearly.

Lots of things are better under Obama than Bush, but this isn't one of them.
    It might not be better for YOU but it is better for millions of others. A tax increase won't be "better" for the rich but it will benefit the majority.

That's how life works.
    Whom is it better for? I had GREAT insurance from my old company. When I left I didn't renew the policy so I had to use Obamacare.
    It's horrible. It costs me DOUBLE of what it cost before and I have a fraction of the coverage.

I hope someone fixes this. As I see it I'm filling the profits of a few people rather than helping the mass of people.
    You seriously can't see outside of your bubble?

It is better for the millions that could not get insurance because they had pre-existing conditions. It is better for the millions that could get cut from their plans because they developed cancer or another horrible disease. It is better for the millions who were unable to afford insurance and now can because of the income subsidies. It is better for the insurance companies as well....unfortunately.

Yes it sucks for a lot of people. But what you are experiencing is nothing different that what others have been experiencing for years before the act.
    What bubble? I was all for Obamacare until I realized what it was really doing. Costing people money.

I am still for everyone to have affordable healthcare but this isn't it. Costs go up 10% a year no matter what.

It needs some tweaking. Serious tweaking.
    Costs have gone up every year since health insurance began.

I can tell you that my premiums went up 20-25% per year up until healthcare reform started being discussed. Since it has passed I usually expect 10-15% increase each year. Much better than the 20-25% I was experiencing before.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I have heard good and bad from people entering the marketplace.

I compared the marketplace plans to my current plan and it wouldn't save me anything. The premium was a little more but the deductible was less. Since we are relatively healthy we kept our current plan.

I have several clients that told me how much they saved from the marketplace. Some get the subsidies and some don't.

If you remember what it was like to apply for health insurance 10 years ago you would be very surprised at how you apply today.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
    Must be true if you have a chart,lol.
    edited January 2016

callen said:

If you couldn't get coverage I can see how this is great for someone. For me being someone who had previously had coverage and then went to get my own coverage and reading the fine print the whole thing just isn't very good IMHO. I and my employer paid HALF of what my plan covers now and the coverage is HALF as good.

Ask your friend to read on the costs and actual coverage.

Here are some articles that talk about both our points.
    http://www.healthjoy.com/affordable-care-act-2015/
    http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/healthcare/264138-the-affordable-care-act-another-christmas-bah-humbug

They both talk about my major concerns of rising costs...

Again I think it's great for some but needs some serious fine tuning.

My company plan wasn't affected by AHC. The increases actually went down.

I feel healthcare and employment should be decoupled. One of the reasons I like AHC.

As to my friend, has used plan including deductibles for 18 months and been great.

So not perfect but better than what was out there.
    Post edited by callen on
  • ACA will live on for what his original real intent was - a massive tax supported expansion of Medicaid on a National level.

As for the exchanges - ummm, yeah. Enjoy your current prices. He did nothing toward his spoken intent of bending the cost curve, so as more and more companies feel the realities of the exchanges, they will become less and less attractive. Too lazy to look up exact number, but Half the Federal Co-ops have or are in the process of failing and going out of business. In NY Health Republic had to plug pulled early bc it was bleeding so badly. Not a unique situation. Nationally, United Healthcare has indicated its strong consideration of exiting the market in 2017. They announced it just as open enrollment for 2016 was starting. Great marketing plan for a company that doesn't want to attract new members. They aren't the biggest players, but as the big boys drop out and the Federally supported locals do the same, what do you think the market will actually look like?

It will be a blood bath. And it will be blamed on the next President/Republicans while the the hand holding the butcher knife is off in Hawaii locating a place for his library. What will really be left for the next President is deciding how much of our tax dollars to pump into the remaining players to bail the whole thing out. Of course, if you personally pay no taxes, you have nothing to worry about.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • As for those talking about killing the golden goose of employer subsidized health benefits - it always was. Yes, you got a better BENEFIT if you are employed. But that's why it's called and employment BENEFIT!!!!!

Why do liberals always think they have to put a hand in my pocket bc something does not work for everyone? Why do we need to penalize those that can, ummm, you know, keep a job bc some may not get the same benefit?

This is why the Clintons backed off their plan. And why Democrat Cuomo instituted mandatory managed care for the NY Medicaid program - you don't kill the golden goose. When they studied the "evils" they were smart enough to see it was providing more good than bad on balance even if it didn't serve everyone's situation.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

As for those talking about killing the golden goose of employer subsidized health benefits - it always was. Yes, you got a better BENEFIT if you are employed. But that's why it's called and employment BENEFIT!!!!!

Why do liberals always think they have to put a hand in my pocket bc something does not work for everyone? Why do we need to penalize those that can, ummm, you know, keep a job bc some may not get the same benefit?

This is why the Clintons backed off their plan. And why Democrat Cuomo instituted mandatory managed care for the NY Medicaid program - you don't kill the golden goose. When they studied the "evils" they were smart enough to see it was providing more good than bad on balance even if it didn't serve everyone's situation.

Oh, wow, you keep a job, you must really be something.
    Condescension can go both ways there bud.

Personally, our healthcare prospects haven't changed, because we fall into the entrepreneur/small business owner category. Liberals are the only thing keeping small business afloat, its just a shame so many fall for the conservative lip service that only benefits the biggest corporations, while us in the little ones struggle for scraps.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Understand that if you have your own business, you have added expenses. Why shouldn't you pay for that? Should I pay your rent too since I don't have to pay rent with my job? What about electricity? Where and what constitutes something an employee should lose benefits so small business owners can afford it?

I'm baffled by that logic. I want to start my own business, so you shouldn't get employer subsidized health care, so I can afford to own my own business. I'd like to be a professional soccer player. I think Messi should have to play on his knees so I can do what I want. (For the record, he'd still kick my ass, and wouldn't make me any better soccer player. It would just make him worse.)

Understand that if you have your own business, you have added expenses. Why shouldn't you pay for that? Should I pay your rent too since I don't have to pay rent with my job? What about electricity? Where and what constitutes something an employee should lose benefits so small business owners can afford it?

I'm baffled by that logic. I want to start my own business, so you shouldn't get employer subsidized health care, so I can afford to own my own business. I'd like to be a professional soccer player. I think Messi should have to play on his knees so I can do what I want. (For the record, he'd still kick my ass, and wouldn't make me any better soccer player. It would just make him worse.)

I'm not going to bother explaining it and arguing against your straw men.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I can't imagine how americans survive with how much staying healthy costs them.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    I sure love ole Barry today. My Smith@Wesson stock was up 11% today!!! Every phony tear he shed the market went up up up on Gun stocks.
    muskydan said:

I sure love ole Barry today. My Smith@Wesson stock was up 11% today!!! Every phony tear he shed the market went up up up on Gun stocks.

One born every minute!
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    profit > people

typical... yet still sad to me
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    muskydan said:

how do you know they were phony tears??

did you meet with the sandy hook parents?
    he did.

did you talk to victims and their families?
    he did.

did you sit there and watch murders pile up on your watch because the other half of the government did not do it's job?
    he did.

did you make a promise to millions of people, and to the hundreds of people that you have personally met with to try to do somethng to make a difference?
    he did.

did you watch one of your colleagues gunned down at her own town hall?
    he did.

did you ever given multiple, multple prime time speeches reporting on mass shootings to a grieving nation?
    he did.

he has said over and over again his greatest regret is that nothing about gun violence was done during his two terms. he did something.

you don't know his tears were phony.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    That's a nice ride Dan-o after a few shit days.I wonder how the rest of sector did.I used to have Saf-t-lock.Rode that shit for a while.Overall a strong play in that area.imo

Edson-good points above

Gimme,Obama should be concentrating on his foreign policy as much as this gun control debate.Looks like Iran is getting cheeky again and all this admins mommy cuddling sucking up to the death to America crowd might be ready to bite them in the ass.
  • usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    Obama too worried about climate change.

what an idiot
    rr165892 said:

That's a nice ride Dan-o after a few shit days.I wonder how the rest of sector did.I used to have Saf-t-lock.Rode that shit for a while.Overall a strong play in that area.imo

Edson-good points above

Gimme,Obama should be concentrating on his foreign policy as much as this gun control debate.Looks like Iran is getting cheeky again and all this admins mommy cuddling sucking up to the death to America crowd might be ready to bite them in the ass.

i'm sorry, who executed who again?

saudi arabia executed a shiite cleric.

the sauda are sunni, and the iranians are shiite. the cleric angered the saudi family and got himself killed.

obama had nothing to do with that, and this has absolutely ZERO to do with the iran deal.

i swear to fucking christ, you people blame obama for world war one.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

You guys think he does no wrong.Im well aware of what caused the latest unrest.But did you see the footage of the new underground ballistic missile base the are rolling out? Clearly a violation of the accord,but who cares.Kerry can suck a little more Iranian dick,isolate more of our allies all in time for Iran to let the sanctions expire.Dont be blinded by the Obama glow and halo to see his foreign policy is horrible.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

rr165892 said:

Edson-good points above

i'm sorry, who executed who again?

saudi arabia executed a shiite cleric.

the sauda are sunni, and the iranians are shiite. the cleric angered the saudi family and got himself killed.

obama had nothing to do with that, and this has absolutely ZERO to do with the iran deal.

i swear to fucking christ, you people blame obama for world war one.
    I saw something about this on foxnews

They blamed President Obama :anguished:
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    rr165892 said:

You guys think he does no wrong.Im well aware of what caused the latest unrest.But did you see the footage of the new underground ballistic missile base the are rolling out? Clearly a violation of the accord,but who cares.Kerry can suck a little more Iranian dick,isolate more of our allies all in time for Iran to let the sanctions expire.Dont be blinded by the Obama glow and halo to see his foreign policy is horrible.

No we understand the man is not perfect and has made mistakes but people blame him for everything that's wrong in this country , I take it you'd rather just Invade kick ass and take the oil or just keep the sanctions going that really never work ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    rr165892 said:

he does not have a glowing halo. anybody who was ever president of the united states lost their halo the minute they were sworn in. it is a dirty job and people lose their lives based on the decisions the president makes. there is nobody who can do the job who is perfect in every situation. i do trust him more than every single republican on the planet though.

i did not see the footage of the underground missile base. would be awesome if you could post a link to the story so we can check it out.

l

rr165892 said:

he does not have a glowing halo. anybody who was ever president of the united states lost their halo the minute they were sworn in. it is a dirty job and people lose their lives based on the decisions the president makes. there is nobody who can do the job who is perfect in every situation. i do trust him more than every single republican on the planet though.

i did not see the footage of the underground missile base. would be awesome if you could post a link to the story so we can check it out.
    I'll try and find it gimme.It was on CNN
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Hang on one sec...There are people on here who still think Obama is doing a good job?! Wow. Just wow.
    BS44325 said:

Hang on one sec...There are people on here who still think Obama is doing a good job?! Wow. Just wow.

Check your facts. Record job growth, record stock markets gains, very few American lives lost in conflict, and repaired respect from the rest of the world.
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

Check your facts. Record job growth, record stock markets gains, very few American lives lost in conflict, and repaired respect from the rest of the world.
    You're going to talk about stock market gains on this week of all weeks? You're going to talk about repaired respect? Other then my new Prime Minister I don't think there is a leader in the world who respects your President. The global economy is failing, the EU is in a state of collapse, a full on Sunni/Shia war is about to get underway, North Korea is testing a hydrogen bomb, there is a massive refugee crisis, and ISIS is both gaining ground and showing global reach. Nothing is going well and you are a fool to suggest otherwise. Is this all Obama's fault? No but he is an empty suit providing zero leadership during extremely turbulent times.