Making a Murderer (Crime-Docu similar to West Memphis Three case)

Anyone watched Making a Murderer on Netflix yet?
It reminds me so much of the West Memphis Three trial.
Corrupt police and procecutors, an incompetent defense lawyer - this case shows a dark picture of the US justice system.
I wonder if these cases (Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey) will get the attention the WMT got, both from the media and from celebreties.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxgbdYaR_KQ

In my opinion, there are many leads police could have followed but did not do.
Look at the strange brother, the ex-boyfriend of Teresa Halbach, or the creepy video Teresa made herself.
Enough reason to take a close look at the family / friends of the victim, but nothing was done there by the police.
Well, the police itself is more than suspicious too.
Clearly planted evidence (from officers Lenk and Colburn) shows that there must be an involvement in some kind by the police.

Way to many unanswered questions to close the case and destroy the lives of two men that may be not guilty of this crime.
This case, like the WMT, is a shame to the US justice system, and should be looked at (this time from all sides) once again.

Comments

• BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    That looks good, would like to watch it, thx for the info
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Thanks...I saw someone else mention this on fb. I added it to my list.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • It is really worth the 10 hours watch.
    After the end of the series, I was left with a strange feeling in my stomache, and with the wish to do something about this unjustice.
    This book is really good if you like this type of thing...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Innocent-Man-Murder-Injustice/dp/0345532015

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • This book is really good if you like this type of thing...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Innocent-Man-Murder-Injustice/dp/0345532015

Thanks - I will check it out!
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

Corrupt police and procecutors, an incompetent defense lawyer - this case shows a dark picture of the US justice system.
    I wonder if these cases (Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey) will get the attention the WMT got, both from the media and from celebreties.

Look at the strange brother, the ex-boyfriend of Teresa Halbach, or the creepy video Teresa made herself.
    Enough reason to take a close look at the family / friends of the victim, but nothing was done there by the police.
    Clearly planted evidence (from officers Lenk and Colburn) shows that there must be an involvement in some kind by the police.

Way to many unanswered questions to close the case and destroy the lives of two men that may be not guilty of this crime.
    This case, like the WMT, is a shame to the US justice system, and should be looked at (this time from all sides) once again.

Serious Question: Has anyone ever seen a not-dark picture of the US justice system?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • ldent42 said:

Serious Question: Has anyone ever seen a not-dark picture of the US justice system?
    Interesting question - wouldn't that just be boring and no one would watch?

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    I'm about halfway through. It's really great but a super infuriating watch....in the best way possible, I suppose.
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

ldent42 said:

Interesting question - wouldn't that just be boring and no one would watch?
    Put Leo Dicaprio in it. Problem solved.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Great.

I'm hooked.

I watched 2 and a half episodes last night.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
    Its sick to know that it is one small sheriffs dept.and there are thousands just like it spread across America. Why doesnt Ed say something about it. Just like West Memphis 3. Funny how within 3 years of being free after 18 yrs you say Fuck it im gonna murder someone. When the law is out to get you,you're fucked. Just ask Steve Avery.
  • Well...

I powered through it. Couldn't stop watching it to be honest.

I'm a little sick to my stomach.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!

Evidence was obviously planted. There was no blood on the scene when there should have been a bloody mess. The jurors initially voted 7 innocent 3 guilty and 2 undecided... something happened in the deliberations.

At a minimum, there was a high degree of doubt which should have set him free.

I still, for the life of me, cannot get my head around false confessions. These folks were awfully simple, but I found myself liking them. The mom and dad- in particular the mom- were as devout as parents could be.

Fak.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2016
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    This took place in my hometown/county (grew up in the city of Manitowoc). This was obviously a huge deal when it all went down. Portrayal of the rural county is pretty accurate, glad I went away to college and got out, not the place for me. Seven episodes in. Waiting to finish it to make my final thoughts. Interesting where i grew up is getting such notoriety, sad this is what it's for. I get a lot of people asking me if manitowoc county is really like that. I let them know a large portion of the population is like that but not all.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • I'm still feeling a bit. I wish more people would watch and contribute to this thread.

The scumbag prosecutor has been saying the documentary left some key evidence out.
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    I'm halfway through watching this. I'll throw my thoughts out once I'm done.
  • William WallaceWilliam Wallace Posts: 553
    edited January 2016
    There are so many people acting strange and suspicious:
    Officers Colburn and Lenk (most definitely planting evidence, Lenk not singning in at the Log-on when the car was found), Theresas ex-boyfriend (knowing his exes password in a mysterious way), Theresas brother (also the password, plus his whole one-sided coments), Theresa herself (the disturbing video about her death), the woman who found the car (said she was led there by god), Bobby Dassey and Scott Tadych (both giving each other alibis that don't fit looking at the timeframe, plus Tadych lying about the fire), the investigators not looking at any other suspects than Avery the whole time.
    So many things screaming for something very wrong going on.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't think Avery is an angel himself, he can be considerer white trash, is not very smart and has a criminal record.
    But this does not make him a murderer.
    He, like everybody else, deserves a fair trial.
    He deserves the justice system looking at all directions when searching for the murderer, not just focusing on one man and leaving out all other possibilities.
    Everything went wrong with this murder case, and the persons responsible for this mistreatment must be punished for their actions.
    Plus, the true murderer has to be found...

There are petitions active to pardon Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey, just in case anyone is interested:
    http://time.com/4165678/making-a-murderer-petition/
    Post edited by William Wallace on
  • KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905
    3 episodes in now, so far very disturbing. The problem with signing a petition to pardon, is that I don't know all the facts. A petition to another fair trial and federal government to reinvestigate this case, I'm all for. I'll let you know how I feel after I finish the series, but I can't see signing a petition to pardon, based on a documentary I've watched. I do agree however, that it sure looks very suspicious to say the least. From what I've seen and read so far, I could not convict without a doubt of innocence.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • nobtrannobtran Posts: 15
    I finished watching then did a google search on the case. People magazine posted an article about evidence that was left out of the documentary.

I am of the opinion that the documentary was not complete. The main areas being evidence not discussed and Brandon's confession that might have been made to seem more coerced than it really was.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I am halfway through it.

IMO, the whole thing should have been thrown out. It seems pretty clear that procedure was blown by authorities with a stake in taking Avery down (how could they just seize the property for like 8 days to search it and also invite regular civilians in to "search"?). A lot of the evidence seems very fishy and the "confession" by that kid with a 70 IQ by being double-teamed by professionals is garbage. That slimy Public Defender was out to get him too. The whole process seems to have been botched and unfair from the get-go, whether or not Avery is guilty, who knows? Everything around the case is in doubt.

I really want to punch that Kraatz guy in the face. I knew he was a creep the moment he opened his mouth and not surprised at all to see what he did later on.

Its amazing what a predisposition this Avery character and people surrounding him has with the law though. Just constant (self-imposed) issues with the authorities.
    It's hard for me to comment knowing that some of you haven't watched all of it yet. I don't want to spoil anything.

I would suggest that you finish it ASAP because there seem to be a lot of articles popping up about it. Once you are done watching the documentary do some google searches on "Steven Avery evidence" and see what you think.

Anyone who hasn't watched the whole thing yet might want to stay out of this thread for awhile.

• It's hard for me to comment knowing that some of you haven't watched all of it yet. I don't want to spoil anything.

I would suggest that you finish it ASAP because there seem to be a lot of articles popping up about it. Once you are done watching the documentary do some google searches on "Steven Avery evidence" and see what you think.

We've likely been reading the same articles. I'm curious to know what you think.

It's hard for me to comment knowing that some of you haven't watched all of it yet. I don't want to spoil anything.

We've likely been reading the same articles. I'm curious to know what you think.
    I'm really disappointed in what the documentary left out. It would still be an interesting case but why leave out extremely important pieces?

• It's hard for me to comment knowing that some of you haven't watched all of it yet. I don't want to spoil anything.

I'm really disappointed in what the documentary left out. It would still be an interesting case but why leave out extremely important pieces?
    Certainly raises more suspicion by selectively omitting those pieces for sure.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    1 episode in. Looks good. Will not participate here until I'm finished. :)
  • dignin said:

1 episode in. Looks good. Will not participate here until I'm finished. :)

See you tomorrow (lol!).
    **SPOILER ALERT** - Don't read if you are watching the documentary

http://onmilwaukee.com/movies/articles/evidenceagainstavery.html

Here is a good article that describes where I am at right now.

• William WallaceWilliam Wallace Posts: 553
    edited January 2016

I generally understand that they had to cut down the material to fit in a certain time frame.
    Can you please write down some important things so we can see what is missing.
    But even if important stuff was left out, the things that are shown in the docu give a pretty clear picture of some things and some people in the docu (see my last post).

Edit:
    Thanks, I just saw you posted a link.
    Will check it out...

Post edited by William Wallace on

I generally understand that they had to cut down the material to fit in a certain time frame.
    Can you please write down some important things so we can see what is missing.
    But even if important stuff was left out, the things that are shown in the docu give a pretty clear picture of some things and some people in the docu (see my last post).

Edit:
    Thanks, I just saw you posted a link.
    Will check it out...

Yeah it's all there.

Plus...I saw an interview with Strang where he basically refused to answer whether he felt Avery was guilty or not. He was more insistent that he didn't receive a fair trial and that some evidence might have been planted. The thing that hit me the most was in the documentary itself. The Wisconsin Innocence Project refused to take up the case. That's pretty telling in my opinion.