A Docuseries for All the Flippers (Premiering Dec. 14)

dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
edited January 2016 in Lost Dogs
https://youtu.be/RwcDGLGUMRo

http://www.complex.com/style/2015/12/sold-out-supreme-reseller-documentary-trailer

Complex’s docuseries Sold Out: The Underground Economy of Supreme Resellers explores the world of reselling Supreme, where cutthroat fans do whatever it takes to purchase gear from the streetwear brand, and then sell the goods themselves for big profits. Our four-part series embeds with the individuals who perpetuate this global phenomenon to get an on-the-ground look at the illicit market of Supreme apparel.

So who would even participate in a worldwide market for secondhand T-shirts? Well, if that white tee happens to have a red Supreme box logo, the retail price of $44 could easily turn into $400 on the resell market. Of course, this means plenty of profiteers are going to employ whatever tactics they can to strike streetwear gold. But it's not all easy money; the resellers in Sold Out go into great detail on the non-stop struggles of trying to make a buck in a hyper-competitive, unregulated world.

Plus, it's not like the brand is necessarily happy about it. Back in 2002, Supreme founder James Jebbia told the now defunct Rift Trooper his feelings on reselling: "I don't like it very much simply because we try our best to make our clothing affordable for young people. After all Supreme is a skate brand and when I do see our things on eBay, the prices are normally at least double what they should be. Basically I don't like people getting jacked for a T-shirt."

Sold Out is an unprecedented look into a controversial subculture where the rivalries are heated, the market is ruthless, and lots of outsiders are...confused. What gives a brand this kind of intense cachet, and how do resellers—who create new, unsanctioned opportunities for distribution and profit—effect the brand and its consumers? Sold Out reveals the inner-workings of this underground reselling economy and the individuals who power it. Take a look at the trailer for the series, and make sure you stay tuned for the premiere of the first episode on Monday, Dec. 14.
I SAW PEARL JAM
Post edited by dankind on

Comments

• SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    I've never heard of this brand before. Interesting. It's also interesting that the founder thinks $44 for a t-shirt is affordable for young people.
    ELITIST FUK
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    As cool as I am, I have never heard of the brand either.

And yeah, what kind of jobs do young people get nowadays to be able to fork over $44 for a T-shirt?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Awesome!
    www.cluthelee.com
    2-f-r works at a college, so you'd think he's hip.

Just don't ask him how Twitter works. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    dankind said:

2-f-r works at a college, so you'd think he's hip.

Just don't ask him how Twitter works. :lol:

Hehee!! I got myself all reacquainted and realized Matt and I had an account for our band like 6 years ago. So, I'm back in the cool club again! Yeah!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
    Looks like it'll be online at Complex. I don't know if they have a television network outlet.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Never heard this Supreme brand in my life! :/
  • They put out some seriously cool kicks collaborations. If you are a sneakerhead then you know this brand.
  • If you all think the PJ Merch lines are bad then you haven't seen a line in front of Supremes. Every time the release merch Theres a line that starts about 24 hours before it opens and it usually stretches around the entire block.
    I actually saw some kid who looked just like the kind of skater punk I was 25 years ago with a Supreme bag today. I had some pro skater friends who always hooked me up with gear, so I never had to worry about trying to buy it for myself, but I'm about 99% positive that no streetwear caused this kind of secondary market back then.

My kicks collection used to be ridiculous, but I had to part with it, doctor's orders. Two broken ankles (one permanently so) and one arthritic knee (from all that skating, no doubt) led to fucking old man orthotics that couldn't be supported by any of my old kicks.

Again, WTF, middle age!?!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:

I actually saw some kid who looked just like the kind of skater punk I was 25 years ago with a Supreme bag today. I had some pro skater friends who always hooked me up with gear, so I never had to worry about trying to buy it for myself, but I'm about 99% positive that no streetwear caused this kind of secondary market back then.

My kicks collection used to be ridiculous, but I had to part with it, doctor's orders. Two broken ankles (one permanently so) and one arthritic knee (from all that skating, no doubt) led to fucking old man orthotics that couldn't be supported by any of my old kicks.

Again, WTF, middle age!?!

All we had was word of mouth back then. Plus no one, and I mean NO ONE was paying a mark up afterwards, lol.

Nothing was worth anything back then. People have social media so they are all connected and everyone wants to be a part of it. Kind of like me and PJ music and merch now!

Speaking of kicks, I don't ever remember anyone buying a pair of Jordans that wasn't their size to go and re sell...

My how the world has changed.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I think I saw some of these A$$holes in the line during Global Citizen week. :)

PS - I buy all my PJ gear to "Flex" on other PJ fans. :rofl: