Options

American Special Strat or American Standard Strat?

So my 1977 black on black strat is badly in need of repairs and new frets. So now is the perfect opportunity to get a brand new strat. It's been a long time since I've been strat hunting, and I am totally clueless as to what new strats are like nowdays. While I like what I see in the American Deluxe Strat, it is out of my price range. Right now I'm looking at the American Special, or the American Standard Strats. Anyone own both? Anyways would love to hear any opinions or thoughts from you guitar pros on these two strats. my head is spinning from the confusion and anticipation of buying a new guitar! Help!

Comments

• Options
    Completely off subject but what are you doing with the '77?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options

Completely off subject but what are you doing with the '77?

I'm going to have it cleaned up and have some soldering done. I love the feel of the neck but really don't like the tones I get from the pickups, so I'm going to see if getting them rewound will help. If not, new pickups and a 5way switch to replace the 3way. I still have to decide if I'm going to do a refret. As I said I love the feel of the neck, and the tint looks awesome, but I'm working with next to nothing for frets. My fear is that maintaining or matching the tint of the neck on a full refret will be too expensive. Gonna take it in for an estimate once I get a new Strat.

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    edited October 2015
    I'd go for the Standard. By the time you upgrade pickups, hardware on the Special and buy a decent case, you're at the cost of the Standard anyway.

Also, I don't know if you have a good, reliable servicer that you plan to use for your '77 but I have had great service from www.elderly.com.
    Post edited by dudeman on
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:

I'd go for the Standard. By the time you upgrade pickups, hardware on the Special and buy a decent case, you're at the cost of the Standard anyway.

Also, I don't know if you have a good, reliable servicer that you plan to use for your '77 but I have had great service from www.elderly.com.

I tried 3 or 4 American Standards and 1 American Special. Just on feel alone the Standard Strat was superior in every way. Needless to say I came home with a brand new American Standard Stratocaster.

Thanks for the elderly tip. I live in Canada so I don't know if it's an option for me.

• Options
    BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
    Congratulations! I know exactly what you mean. I tried a bunch of different strat models, but tone of those Fat 50's pickups and the feel, compared to others, sold me on one too.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    Congrats, indeed! In recent years, Fender has really upped their game. I used to find it difficult to see much difference between their Mexican and American offerings, especially in the late '90's to early 2000's. Since 2008, their quality control, woods and electronics have really improved.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    This thread has really educated me on the differences in strats.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    BHealy said:

Congratulations! I know exactly what you mean. I tried a bunch of different strat models, but tone of those Fat 50's pickups and the feel, compared to others, sold me on one too.

dudeman said:

Congrats, indeed! In recent years, Fender has really upped their game. I used to find it difficult to see much difference between their Mexican and American offerings, especially in the late '90's to early 2000's. Since 2008, their quality control, woods and electronics have really improved.

Thanks for the congrats guys. Yes those Fat 50's Custom Shop pickups make a huge difference. It was definitely a good thing to be able to feel the difference between Strat models as it made my decision a lot easier.

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Love these vintage guitars guys! Awesome!!
    www.cluthelee.com