***The Official Stone Temple Pilots Thread***

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
edited February 2022 in Other Music
It should come as no surprise that Chester Bennington has split (amicably) from STP. He was just spread too thin being the lead singer of two bands. Oddly, it was Scott Weiland who broke the news the other day, with STP confirming it today.

What does the band do now? They say they have a number of songs recorded and have auditioned other singers over the last while. Not sure if that means the recorded material is with Chester or with a new singer. STP has proven to be quite uninteresting without Scott at the mic.

Talk Show?
Army of Anyone?

I enjoyed both those records, but the record-buying public thought otherwise. It would seem the Deleo brothers abandon any project that proves commercially unsuccessful.

I hear Weiland is available. Third times a charm.
Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on

Comments

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Loved Army of Anyone. and would take Richard Patrick over Scott Weiland anyday
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    I'll take another Weiland STP album for sure. No need for a tour though, unless he gets his act together
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • pjfaninindianapjfaninindiana Northeast Indiana Posts: 311
    Last album with Weiland was awesome! I'd love another one from Army of Anyone as well.
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    that Talk Show album had some great tunes
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Maybe they need Axl Rose. You know you want it.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    They'd be nuts to take Weiland back. Bring back Army of Anyone.
    www.cluthelee.com
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    also the only problem with bringing back Army of Anyone is that Richard Patrick still has Filter. They are working on a new album. which hopefully will come out next year.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Ok, this kind of made me laugh. But I don't know why and that bugs me!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    dudeman said:

Oh that would be such rich irony if he filled that big empty void. :lol:

And he will fill it because he's so fat now. :rofl:
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

dudeman said:

He looked a bit chubby about 15 years ago. He is a normally fit person now, and has been for several years. Not that anyone is childish enough to make fun of someone's weight.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I just think it would be cool to have Axl sing with STP for a bizarro Velvet Revolver project.

Maybe "Burlap Semi-Auto"?
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

dudeman said:

He looked a bit chubby about 15 years ago. He is a normally fit person now, and has been for several years. Not that anyone is childish enough to make fun of someone's weight.

I don't remember hearing about how chubby he was until those memes about him came out around Chinese Democracy.
    When he played live for the first time at some MTV awards show in about 2000, everyone was agast at his weight gain. Not to mention the corn rows.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

"Welcome to the jungle, we've got lots of cake. "
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    Anyone else starting to wonder if the problem is with the Deleo brothers and not scott? They've broken up with Weiland three times and split with two other singers. STP is the new Van Halen!
    mr bungle said:

Anyone else starting to wonder if the problem is with the Deleo brothers and not scott? They've broken up with Weiland three times and split with two other singers. STP is the new Van Halen!

no, weiland was a druggie and a drunk, and they had to pitch him. Richard Patrick said he would be more than happy to do AoA again if time permitted, and I don't know about Dave Coutts. he just fell off the earth. And Chester just plain out didn't have the time to devote to STP, and they split amicably.

maybe they'd give weiland another shot if he could stay sober for an elongated period of time, but man, after that much time and bullshit, you just say "fuck it".

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Less than 6 months ago Weiland looked like he'd fallen off the wagon again. Granted his Walkabouts? guitarist died, but still. There's a vid of him looking/sounding awful. When he's together he's fucking brilliant. Talented as they come. I liked the last STP record too, so they clearly have the chemistry when Weiland is clean & sober IMO.
    www.cluthelee.com

Less than 6 months ago Weiland looked like he'd fallen off the wagon again. Granted his Walkabouts? guitarist died, but still. There's a vid of him looking/sounding awful. When he's together he's fucking brilliant. Talented as they come. I liked the last STP record too, so they clearly have the chemistry when Weiland is clean & sober IMO.

Totally. On all counts.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

well this thread was bad timing. RIP Scott. obviously this means no more original STP or VR.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

reports are out that they have chosen Jeff Gutt as the new singer. We shall see if those reports are true. He was named as the new singer back in November 2016 by some outlets, and management denied it. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Gutt#Stone_Temple_Pilots

he is a pretty man. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    It's sad they are carrying the name on.  STP will never be the same without Weiland.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    It's sad they are carrying the name on.  STP will never be the same without Weiland.
    I agree, but i guess they got to pay the Bills some way.
    I thought maybe I'd be into all this but nope.
    www.cluthelee.com
    i was listening to the EP today that they did with chester. it honestly felt like the songs would have a place on some teenager soap opera show, not qualified to be under the name STP. 

the deleos make great music. aoa was great, and so was talk show. i did not like what they did with chester. it seemed very cheesy. they might make great music with whomever they pick, but it really is a tough sell to replace weiland and call it stp. in the case of replacing lead singers, i was reluctant to judge aic, maybe it was because they went with such a different singer, that was obviously not intended to replace layne, but to round out the band, and so much time had passed. this just seems too soon, and their choices too derivative of weiland's style and look. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    STP died with Weiland
    in your opinion, but that's really up to the band. 

I think AIC died with Layne, honestly, but I don't begrudge them for using the name. I don't even really think of them as AIC, I think of them more as Jerry Cantrell solo. BGWTB pretty much is a JC solo record. William was rhythm guitar and backing vocals. Dinosaurs was different, and I didn't like it. 

I don't get hung up so much anymore about bands and whatever name they choose to use when they lose their singer. Same with Courtney Love using Hole. I thought it was stupid, but it didn't make me like/dislike the record. 

what's in a name, really? marketing, and nothing more. Talk Show probably would have been successful had they used the STP name. it was a good record. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Picked up Talk Show today. Never listened to it before. Really great album. Maybe I can get around it afterall. Just have to see what they come up with. Can't listen to the stuff with Chester anymore. Never liked Linkin Park either. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Stone Chester Pilots was god awful.
    LOL. agreed. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD