Shannon Hoon -- A Danny Clinch Documentary ! ! ! FUCK YES ! ! ! (Blind Melon)

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited October 2015 in Other Music
SO THIS IS HAPPENING: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/53195090/shannon-hoon-film-a-danny-clinch-documentary
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/see-blind-melons-shannon-hoon-get-naked-and-bring-pizza-to-guns-n-roses-20150428

I have been eating, breathing, and shitting Blind Melon lately for some reason.
My friend always said he wanted to see the private footage Shannon filmed of himself and intended to release.
I googled to see what's up with that. Danny Clinch is making it happen!
FUCK YES!

If you need a reason to get excited about this:
Shannon Hoon's Opinion on Pearl Jam (in late '91)
Blind Melon - I Wonder (Woodstock)
"Change" and "Walk" on John Stewart Show
Afterhours \ Time
Candy Says (amazing Velvet Underground version)
The Pusher
Sleepyhouse (live)
Vernie (live)
Lemonade (live)
, also, this month and last, celebrate his life and death 20 years ago (oct 21 95), but
DON'T CRY
Pretty sure he and Andy are Spirit Brothers in heaven.
:)
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by DriftingByTheStorm on

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I love music documentaries. watched a couple last night.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Is this a for sure thing? I've been interested in a couple of music kickstarter things only to read horror stories from those who contributed.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    imalive said:

Is this a for sure thing? I've been interested in a couple of music kickstarter things only to read horror stories from those who contributed.

It's been fully funded and Danny Clinch is behind it and he will make it happen. I'm sure of it, especially because of Danny's ties to Shannon and Blind Melon.
    Suziemay said:

imalive said:

It's been fully funded and Danny Clinch is behind it and he will make it happen. I'm sure of it, especially because of Danny's ties to Shannon and Blind Melon.
    Hi Su - one of the "shaky" kickstarters I saw was the Bob Mould (with Dave Grohl and maybe others) thing. Everyone was waiting and waiting for their promised incentive item. There is some great footage on youtube (I posted one below). I do wonder, though, why Dave and even Bob need to beg for money. Is it more to guage interest?

the other was after I saw a PHENOMENAL Ed Kowalcyzk solo show and wanted to see if he had been DVDd for posterity. More disgruntled contributors.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Yes, please.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Really looking forward to this.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    +1
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Suziemay said:

imalive said:

Yeah just watch the harmonica solo here and you will understand, imalive.

http://youtu.be/R5mjntMAfbU

Definitely happening.
    Definitely gonna be amazing, beautiful, (and sad).
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I hope it does not focus too much on his decent into addiction.
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited October 2015
    Poor guy was high everyday tough not to at least touch on it.Really looking forward to this!

RobbyD462 said:

Poor guy was high everyday tough not to at least touch on it.Really looking forward to this!

Which is why I said "too much". I heard how the Cobain movie went and I have no interest in ever seeing it, ever. There will be some similarities asthetically speaking (i.e. the home movie format, self-shot footage) and maybe even some comparisons to the Cobain movie. Maybe. I don't know. How personal will Clinch go? How will he tie together all this footage into a cohesive piece? I'm excited for sure. Blind Melon is in my top 3 favorite bands, always has been. Clinch is a talented man and I look forward to seeing what he does with it all.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • It's cool that Clinch is making this- but Letters from a Porcupine was already a pretty terrific doc that focused a lot on just Shannon as well as the whole band. Not sure we need another.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
    RobbyD462 said:

I agree. Him being completely fucked up was one of the biggest things in his life. There is no way not to focus on it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

RobbyD462 said:

Which is why I said "too much". I heard how the Cobain movie went and I have no interest in ever seeing it, ever. There will be some similarities asthetically speaking (i.e. the home movie format, self-shot footage) and maybe even some comparisons to the Cobain movie. Maybe. I don't know. How personal will Clinch go? How will he tie together all this footage into a cohesive piece? I'm excited for sure. Blind Melon is in my top 3 favorite bands, always has been. Clinch is a talented man and I look forward to seeing what he does with it all.
    I'm not sure you can really use the Cobain movie as some kind of comparison or whatever if you're not even willing to watch it.
    There is no way not to focus on Hoon's drug use and still be honest IMO. I just want the thing to be true to reality.... and I think that reality for Shannon Hoon was an almost total haze of drugs for those few years when his band was killing it.
  • This movie is using all the private footage that Shannon obsessively took of himself. So it will be whatever he filmed. From what has surfaced previously, he is defnitely "stoned" a lot. But that was Shannon.

http://youtu.be/9AUCtqA8feQ
  • It's cool that Clinch is making this- but Letters from a Porcupine was already a pretty terrific doc that focused a lot on just Shannon as well as the whole band. Not sure we need another.

I think it's great. Probably great closure for clinch. Great tribute to Shannon to finish and release what he started. And a great treat for fans.

RobbyD462 said:

I feel the same way,I thought the Cobain movie was too much about the drugs too.

• Fwiw, though haunting, I thought Montage of Heck was very well done. For anyone who has given up on the mythology of a murdered Kurt and who may be looking to better understand what lead a funny little Pisces to declare that his biggest fear is his daughter growing up to be like him, and then kill himself, that movie is priceless.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    20 years ago today. RIP Shannon. Nice shirt....
    PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

I'm not sure you can really use the Cobain movie as some kind of comparison or whatever if you're not even willing to watch it.
    There is no way not to focus on Hoon's drug use and still be honest IMO. I just want the thing to be true to reality.... and I think that reality for Shannon Hoon was an almost total haze of drugs for those few years when his band was killing it.
    I saw the movie - it's called "Heavier Than Heaven". What did I miss that wasn't documented in that book, or in all the print media that's out there? I clearly stated in my post I wasn't sure about comparisons. More thinking out loud in my response right? Not everything I post here is well crafted. I understand Shannon and drugs were inextricably linked throughout a good deal of his fame in Blind Melon. I understand that Clinch won't be able to get around the 'rawness' of the film Shannon shot. Letters to a Porcupine already focused on his well known drug use and trouble with the law - why do it again? Perhaps my comparison to the Cobain movie is that it's essentially been done before. Cobain's love for Frances is documented in other places - anyone who is curious could read it. I think we might have differing expectations of Clinch when it comes to being "true to reality" where Shannon is concerned. Greg Prato's book on Shannon Hoon is a very well written document about his drug and alcohol problems. No sense in making this new doc focused on that.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited October 2015

PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

I saw the movie - it's called "Heavier Than Heaven". What did I miss that wasn't documented in that book, or in all the print media that's out there? I clearly stated in my post I wasn't sure about comparisons. More thinking out loud in my response right? Not everything I post here is well crafted. I understand Shannon and drugs were inextricably linked throughout a good deal of his fame in Blind Melon. I understand that Clinch won't be able to get around the 'rawness' of the film Shannon shot. Letters to a Porcupine already focused on his well known drug use and trouble with the law - why do it again? Perhaps my comparison to the Cobain movie is that it's essentially been done before. Cobain's love for Frances is documented in other places - anyone who is curious could read it. I think we might have differing expectations of Clinch when it comes to being "true to reality" where Shannon is concerned. Greg Prato's book on Shannon Hoon is a very well written document about his drug and alcohol problems. No sense in making this new doc focused on that.
    again, he is just finishing Hoon's own self-doc that he envisioned. it will be mostly what Hoon wanted people to see. Hoon on Hoon. I'm shocked it got funded. It wasn't looking good there for a while.

The Cobain film touched on the drug thing (the scene with him holding Frances), but most of it was just showing a different side of Kurt that mostly no one ever saw-a portrait of a human (many times in his own voice) conflicted about not just his celebrity, but his own existence.

it was sad at the end, as we all know how that story ends. but it wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be (for example, I sometimes cry at sad commericals). did it feel voyeuristic in nature? sometimes. but it helped knowing that Frances green-lit the entire thing.

I read Heavier Than Heaven. Montage goes much deeper than just facts about the rise and fall of Kurt.

Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
    edited October 2015
    RIP Shannon.
    Life ain't so shitty...
    http://youtu.be/7vFd_jfiVRY
    Post edited by DriftingByTheStorm on
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    edited October 2015
    So I'm a big fan of Danny's but don't know much about Blind Melon (but I've been trying to learn!) so I don't know about the other documentary that some say this one would duplicate. But the opening paragraph of this article seems to imply that the footage Danny has hasn't seen the light of day yet. Maybe I'm mistaken. In any case, take a look: https://www.yahoo.com/music/exclusive-photo-essay-of-shannon-c1430340087479/photo-give-peace-a-chance-1445375136679.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    I was one of the (many) funders for this documentary.
    If you're interested then there was a host of musicians who recorded covers of Blind Melon songs as part of the Kickstarter. Brian Fallon covered 'Mouthful of Cavities' which is one of my favourite songs.
    The film will be compiled from interviews, Danny's footage, but mainly Shannon's footage which wasn't made available for 'Lettters'. It's almost his story rather than a story about him. Some of the footage is really interesting.
    There is a team of people working on it and I get emails from them with updates on how the film production is going.
    My reward is one of Danny's books of photos signed to me with some other personal annotations I believe. The book includes photos of PJ which will be cool. I think you can buy the book on his website but this is a special 'version'
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Suziemay said:

So I'm a big fan of Danny's but don't know much about Blind Melon (but I've been trying to learn!) so I don't know about the other documentary that some say this one would duplicate. But the opening paragraph of this article seems to imply that the footage Danny has hasn't seen the light of day yet. Maybe I'm mistaken. In any case, take a look: https://www.yahoo.com/music/exclusive-photo-essay-of-shannon-c1430340087479/photo-give-peace-a-chance-1445375136679.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

I actually came back to post the article you just posted but instead, here:
    http://youtu.be/v9AI4YY3oHY

I honestly recommend you start just by playing their first album on loop if you're trying to get in to them. It took me from the time I was 12 (in 92) to about the time I was 22 to really appreciate it. Now at 35 I think I am just starting to completely "get it". The music is complex as fuck. Almost everything in mixolydian and most songs in split keys as well. Once you digest it, then hit up the live stuff. THEN hit up Soup, since it is even more challenging than the first album.
    ^^ Their second album, Soup, is at least as good as their first, so put both of them on loop. :)
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    PJ_Soul said:

^^ Their second album, Soup, is at least as good as their first, so put both of them on loop. :)

Agreed, I'm on my third play of Soup today already :)
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    What's the latest on the Kickstarter thing?
    www.cluthelee.com

What's the latest on the Kickstarter thing?

it got funded, didn't it?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

but do only those who pledged get to see the film? I'd love to see it.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD