Tremor Christ lyric question

CG49089CG49089 Posts: 109
Was re discovering Tremor Christ today... Such an amazing song. I'm actually thinking of using it as an accompaniment to a letter I'm writing my Dad.

Anyway,

The line at the end of the song: "turns the bow back, tows, and drops the line"

I'm curious to know if anyone knows what "drops the line" means.

I've always understood the lyric to mean that the sailor is heading back into the storm, or going back to try to save the lover who was drowning in his wake. But what does "drops the line" mean? I always wonder, does he mean drop the anchor? But that seems to mean the opposite.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Maybe it's the fishing line, like he's dropping it in the water, waiting for a bite?
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,430
    turns th wbow back, tows , drps the line.

Thinking it refers to the tow line?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14