Options

Best hybrid amp?

I've got a Roc Pro 700 from Fender. I've used the Roc Pro 1000 and the Marshall one. Thoughts and opinions on hybrid amps? I love 'em.
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy

Comments

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,972
    What is it about hybrid amps that you love? I haven't had much luck finding guitar tones that I like without having a tube preamp (12AX7) and power amp (6V6).

I'm curious to know if hybrids offer something that tube amps don't.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I've always had a thing for the Music Man amps. They used a solid-state preamp and a tube power amp. They tend to be pretty loud, and you have to really crank them to get saturation, but when they load up, they sound great. Big California glass-bottle sound.

The Fender Roc Pro and Marshall hybrids aren't even fully-fledged hybrid amps, as they only use a single tube in one of the gain stages of the overdrive channel. You can get the same general effect by using a real tube distortion pedal in front of a solid-state amp. The jaded musicians among us view these amps as more marketing tactic than good amp design.

I've learned over the years that I need power tubes saturating. Preamp tubes are nice, but not completely necessary for me.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    The upkeep is nice and I love the overdrive tone I get, with the Roc Pro. I can get Tool and Sabbath overdrive. I also like the clean channel. It stays clean without any distorted tones. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I like the clean breakup, but I love the clean channel on the Roc Pro. I get the same tone as early TEN (Yellow Ledbetter).
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    dudeman said:

What is it about hybrid amps that you love? I haven't had much luck finding guitar tones that I like without having a tube preamp (12AX7) and power amp (6V6).

Exact same combo of power tubes I need. I also lean towards a tube rectifier.

E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options

I've always had a thing for the Music Man amps. They used a solid-state preamp and a tube power amp. They tend to be pretty loud, and you have to really crank them to get saturation, but when they load up, they sound great. Big California glass-bottle sound.

The Fender Roc Pro and Marshall hybrids aren't even fully-fledged hybrid amps, as they only use a single tube in one of the gain stages of the overdrive channel. You can get the same general effect by using a real tube distortion pedal in front of a solid-state amp. The jaded musicians among us view these amps as more marketing tactic than good amp design.

I've learned over the years that I need power tubes saturating. Preamp tubes are nice, but not completely necessary for me.

Music Man was definitely on to something, wrong place at the wrong time. I agree I'm more of a power tube breakup guy, then a pre amp tube.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options

The upkeep is nice and I love the overdrive tone I get, with the Roc Pro. I can get Tool and Sabbath overdrive. I also like the clean channel. It stays clean without any distorted tones. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I like the clean breakup, but I love the clean channel on the Roc Pro. I get the same tone as early TEN (Yellow Ledbetter).

I can see the argument for maintenance and reliability. One of my former clients used to bring me his '64 Fender Bandmaster all the time for service. That thing was not built very well but it sounded great when it worked! Modern tube amps are better in terms of reliability.

In the end, it's all about finding out what works for you.
  • Options

dudeman said:

Exact same combo of power tubes I need. I also lean towards a tube rectifier.

5AR4 FTW!
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    dudeman said:

5AR4 FTW!

I'm more of a 5Y3 man myself.

No doubt, OP, that solid-state amps are way more reliable. Transistors are more stable, and don't require replacement, like tubes do. And since they aren't given to distortion, the clean tones are crystal and usually have a lot of headroom. I've always sort of wanted a Roland Jazz Chorus for pretty much this reason; great clean amp.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.