Options

Looking to get a stompbox.

I'm looking into getting a stompbox and wanted your opinions before purchasing one. Which brands do you guys prefer and are any made in the USA?
I am the Lizard King I can do anything

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    What kind of effect are you looking for?

If you don't know the different effects and what they do to your guitar sound go to proguitarshop.com and sort effects by type and just start watching videos.

Quality, versatility and build origin are all over the map. There are literally thousands of effects of each type and some of the more timeless individual effects gave thousands of clones.
  • Options
    xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759

I'm looking into getting a stompbox and wanted your opinions before purchasing one. Which brands do you guys prefer and are any made in the USA?

Much like Dewie said, there are endless possibilities. You can also make your own stompbox.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I'll look into it more. I've seen them used a few times at concerts and am interested in them now.
    I am the Lizard King I can do anything
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Find someone whose guitar tones and effects you want to try and emulate, and then find out what is in their pedal chain.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,974
    The best thing I ever did when getting into the world of effects was to buy a multi-effects processor. Anything in the $100.00 price range should give you access to all of the basics. OD/Distortion/Fuzz, Compression/Limiting/Gates, Phase/Corus/Flanger and Delay/Echo/Reverb will be your general effects and most effects processors these days have a few varieties of each. Some even have expression pedals for Wah, Volume and Pitch-shift effects. It was a good starting point for me because it gave me the ability to experiment and explore what I liked and didn't without spending hundred of dollars on individual pedals. Once I had an idea of what I wanted, I started shopping for better quality and better sounding individual pedals.

I was also able to sell that processor for about 70% of what I originally paid for it.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    Toooooys.

• Options
    and when I play out solo (acoustic):

• Options
    pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    I have been trying to trim my touring board down a bit, currently I am down to this sparse setup:

"Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • Options
    Win.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    I'd say get the essentials-

Distortion- RAT or Boss
    Overdrive- Tubescreamer
    Wah- Crybaby
    Delay- Carbon Copy and Boss DD
    Phaser- MXR Phase 90
    Fuzz- Big Muff Pi
    Chorus- Holy Grail, CE 2, or Small Clone
    Whammy- Digitech Whammy
    Volume pedal- Ernie Ball
    Compressor- MXR dyna comp
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    pjpjpaul said:

I'd say get the essentials-

Distortion- RAT or Boss
    Overdrive- Tubescreamer
    Wah- Crybaby
    Delay- Carbon Copy and Boss DD
    Phaser- MXR Phase 90
    Fuzz- Big Muff Pi
    Chorus- Holy Grail, CE 2, or Small Clone
    Whammy- Digitech Whammy
    Volume pedal- Ernie Ball
    Compressor- MXR dyna comp

Another good chorus: DOD Ice Box or a Danelectro (not the most road worthy but great sound). They're cheaper. Distortion: BOSS DS1.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    If you're just looking to play around with some stuff, get a Line 6 M5 pedal and spend a bunch of time with it. As a modeling effects pedal, it has a variety of different effects to choose from, and then you can see which ones you really connect with.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options

If you're just looking to play around with some stuff, get a Line 6 M5 pedal and spend a bunch of time with it. As a modeling effects pedal, it has a variety of different effects to choose from, and then you can see which ones you really connect with.

+1. It's expensive but there are a lot of options. If you're able to go to a guitar shop, try out some pedals. Used stuff (which I LOVE) is usually a bit cheaper and you could stumble upon a gem
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    I thought a stomp box was an old-time sturdy beer case with a drum pedal attached.....no?