Options

Ryan Adams 1989

Comments

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    edited September 2015
    I listened to Ryan's Bad Blood again. I know what I don't like about it: the chorus. Everything else is actually wonderful. "Now we got pro-blems, and I don't think we can solve-them"

(cringe)
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Taylor's 1989 is a super strong album in its own right.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

• Options
  • Options
    The album is streaming on spotify, very nicely done :)
  • Options
    Its so good.
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,492

Its so good.

Absolute Masterpiece. And I've only made it to Wildest Dreams so far.

Haters gonna hate...
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,650
    edited September 2015
    Digging it after listening to the first four tracks. Any news on when the CD and vinyl are going to be out?
  • Options
    CD is looking like first week of November if Amoeba and Amazon are to be believed. no word on the LP. I'd guess December at the earliest. Depending on the plant, its a 4-6 month window to get a record to market.
  • Options
    Will definitely get the vinyl for this.
  • Options
    I LOVE IT!!!!
  • Options
    Wonder how TS fans are viewing this. My guess is not good.

I think it just proves though that good songs are good songs.

I only listened to her version after this was started and while it's not my cup of tea I got it. She has talent for sure and at least she isn't fake controversial like some other people in her genre.

Really glad she's a supporter of it and even happier Ryan pulled it off.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

I only listened to her version after this was started and while it's not my cup of tea I got it. She has talent for sure and at least she isn't fake controversial like some other people in her genre.

No idea, but my guess is they probably wouldn't be into it. I mean, would we be into it if anyone covered an entire Pearl Jam album? Probably not!

Hmm, how would I feel if Ryan covered Pearl Jam? I'll have to think about that...
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,274
    Suziemay said:

No idea, but my guess is they probably wouldn't be into it. I mean, would we be into it if anyone covered an entire Pearl Jam album? Probably not!

Hmm, how would I feel if Ryan covered Pearl Jam? I'll have to think about that...
    Based purely on the covers Ryan has done in the past (Alice In Chains, Maiden, Ratt(!) Sonic Youth, Danzig etc) I think he'd do a great job of covering a PJ album. He also covered the first Strokes record in its entirety but never released it.

It's hysterical reading some of the comments from Taylor Swift fans on Ryan's Instagram page. Apart from the expected "who is Ryan Adams?" posts, they range from accusing him of copying her song titles, to telling him she's going to sue him, and saying he's only doing it to 'get' her. I just saw "I'm dying. 'Out Of The Woods' has killed me. I'm dead"
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:

Suziemay said:

Based purely on the covers Ryan has done in the past (Alice In Chains, Maiden, Ratt(!) Sonic Youth, Danzig etc) I think he'd do a great job of covering a PJ album. He also covered the first Strokes record in its entirety but never released it.

It's hysterical reading some of the comments from Taylor Swift fans on Ryan's Instagram page. Apart from the expected "who is Ryan Adams?" posts, they range from accusing him of copying her song titles, to telling him she's going to sue him, and saying he's only doing it to 'get' her. I just saw "I'm dying. 'Out Of The Woods' has killed me. I'm dead"
    Isn't that last one positive? I don't understand half the things kids say these days, but isn't that the equivalent of "That slayed me" which I think is a good thing. Right?
  • Options
    this is sort of cool too -
  • Options

I disagree. I know nothing about Father John Misty but this comes across as a parody rather than a tribute.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,274
    Suziemay said:

goldrush said:

Suziemay said:

Isn't that last one positive? I don't understand half the things kids say these days, but isn't that the equivalent of "That slayed me" which I think is a good thing. Right?
    Yeah it's a positive one, I just love the drama of it :) It's like "I literally just died". No, you didn't...

My niece is a huge Taylor fan so I've heard her album enough times to know that I really don't like it. I'm really enjoying Ryan's version, I think it's more to do with his voice and his arrangements than the actual quality of the original songs though.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

I disagree. I know nothing about Father John Misty but this comes across as a parody rather than a tribute.
    It's definitely parody.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    The impression I get from Father John Misty is he's one of those weird-for-the-sake-of-being-weird "artists."
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    When will sellout pseudo hipsters learn you can't polish a Radio Disney turd?
  • Options
    edited September 2015

When will sellout pseudo hipsters learn you can't polish a Radio Disney turd?

Pretty harsh and immature. No one says you have to like Taylor Swift though.

I do think that what Ryan proved is well written tunes are well written tunes. And yes I know she has co-writers.

Each there own.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    MedozK said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5SPg2afRXvE

And don't start with that hate hate hate crap. Most adults don't listen to man card repellent Radio Disney crap.
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,650

Suziemay said:

It's definitely parody.
  • Options
    Is "man card" is still relevant in 2015?

• Options
    I'd also posit a good number of adults listen to "Radio Disney crap" because not only do a good number of adults have kids, but a good number of adults don't really care about what they listen to and just want something catchy and easy and don't have a dated rockist attitude toward pop.

• Options

Is "man card" is still relevant in 2015?

Man card? Enlighten me please :lol:
  • Options
    Some people just need to enjoy life and quit being so negative.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,810
    Two listens in and I like it.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    nigelnigel Posts: 267
    I think it's totally brilliant - although my daughters (aged 10 and 12) who both love the original album are less convinced! :)