Uncle Joe Biden

JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
Is the buzz for real? Is he getting ready to jump in the race? Feels like he is the establishment's backup plan in case Hillary goes down in a blaze of scandal. I personally love the guy but I've never seen him as being #1 candidate material. But he might make the Democratic Primary a better race if he gets into it.

Thoughts?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I read something the other day - who knows how accurate - that he was taking a few days away to contemplate running.

I can see him getting in on it but not sure of his actual chances.

As far as the man himself, I like his blunders and the occasional faux pas; they're relatable. Reminds me of Bush, in a way.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I really hope he does, he is much more electable right now than Hilary.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    now is as good a time as any to jump in. i love joe. i actually voted for him in the missouri primary in 2008. before he became obama's running mate.

i would love to see joe debate the republican candidate. he doesn't take anybody's bullshit and calls them on it. he says the things obama wishes decorum would allow him to say.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

now is as good a time as any to jump in. i love joe. i actually voted for him in the missouri primary in 2008. before he became obama's running mate.

i would love to see joe debate the republican candidate. he doesn't take anybody's bullshit and calls them on it. he says the things obama wishes decorum would allow him to say.

Agree, he is like Trump, but with class.
    That would play in his favor.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    The thing I have always liked about Joe is that he comes across as genuine. I don't say that lightly because the words "politician" and "genuine" have close to opposite meanings in this world we live in. But Joe Biden is about as close as it gets. Not saying he is perfect, not saying he doesn't have his faults, just that when I compare him to other politicians (including the current Democratic "frontrunner") he seems authentic in a way they don't.

If he's on the ballot here come Super Tuesday he would probably get my vote.

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I loved Joe Biden even when I was a republican.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Eh, I'd like to have a beer with Biden. Joe seems like a fun guy. Not sure that I'm interested in him as president. He doesn't always have control of his hands or his mouth. But a likable guy, and may rise to the level of serious contender by default (incumbant VP, better known than Sanders, less scandal and baggage than Clinton).
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    For me it goes Clinton < Biden < Sanders so I hope he runs for two reason 1. If Bernie gets pushed out of the race I would much prefer him over Clinton and 2. He could possibly split the vote with Hillary and allow Bernie to get in.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Biden Worries Legalized Weed In D.C. Will Cut Into His Business

WASHINGTON—Claiming that his operation would be “completely dicked over” by an influx of product, Vice President Joe Biden reportedly became increasingly worried this week that the recent legalization of marijuana in Washington, D.C. could seriously cut into his business.

Biden, who White House sources confirmed had significantly increased his annual marijuana sales after swiping a state-of-the-art hydroponics unit from a gardening supplies store back in 2012, expressed frustration at the possibility that legalizing the drug would wreak havoc on all of his investments.

“Aw, Christ, now everyone will be growing their own herb,” said a visibly upset Biden, adding that he was “raking it in” before D.C. voters approved “that horseshit” Marijuana Legalization Initiative in a ballot measure last November. “Don’t get me wrong, Uncle Joe is slinging the dankest nugs in town. But who’s going to call me up for an eighth of Purple Trainwreck if they can just grab some buds from their own homegrown stash?”

“Sure as shit no one’s hauling ass all the way to the Lincoln Memorial to meet up with me to score some cheeba anymore,” the vice president continued.

Biden stressed that his business had recently been running as “smooth as Tennessee trim,” becoming especially lucrative after he brought on his buddy Blaze to strong-arm a couple “rough and tumble” hombres who were muscling in on his turf.

theonion.com/article/biden-worries-legalized-weed-in-dc-will-cut-into-h-38210
    I've never thought of Joe Biden as a serious option before, but looking at the very real possibility of a Clinton implosion combined with the weakness of the seventeen Republican dwarfs, why not?

• CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    The Biden Vs. Ryan debate still has me laughing.
    60% chance that Joe runs!

60 percent of the time, Joe Biden runs...every time.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Thinking that Hillary isn't gonna make it by this time next year...but Joe will.

My husband and I have dubbed him "Plan B".
    It does feel like Hillary going down in a blaze of scandal is almost inevitable. Better it happens sooner rather than later. If it's not the emails it will be something else. Once she is the nominee it will be too late.

The Dems need options. If Joe runs he makes a great "plan B." He may come across as the crazy uncle but the GOP is determined to run a different kind of crazy at the top of their ticket. Biden would make for an appealing option come 2016.

• Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    If anyone really thinks a Clinton will go down because of a scandal, they obviously forgot the 90's. Even on the slim chance she does go down, Biden would be a horrific back up plan. The dems have zero good options right now. It's quite sad that niether party can muster up a candidate worth considering.

If anyone really thinks a Clinton will go down because of a scandal, they obviously forgot the 90's. Even on the slim chance she does go down, Biden would be a horrific back up plan. The dems have zero good options right now. It's quite sad that niether party can muster up a candidate worth considering.

I should have added "relatively speaking" to my post. Biden would make an appealing option relative to the rest of the field, specifically any likely challenger from the GOP.

That people do remember the 90's is a big reason why I think she may go down. People have been through it once. I don't know many who want to go through it again.

It was easy to laugh off Bill's scandals because I didn't care if he was faithful in his marriage or not. But bring careless with classified information, trading favors from the State Department for donations to the Clinton Foundation, or WHATEVER may be next...these are a scandals of a different breed.

That said...it will be difficult for any Democrat to win this time. A sitting POTUS being term limited and then succeeded by a member of their own party has not happened often in recent history. In fact the only time it has happened since WWII was in 1988 when Bush 1 was elected to succeed Ronald Reagan.

Much like Joe Biden today, Bush was sitting Vice President at the time.

edited August 2015
    I can agree with much of what you said about the scandals. But I still think there isn't a republican that can win. I know history doesn't support my stance. I think people will bore with trump. After that, they are left with what? Bush, Cruz, or Carson?

By now, it's easier to remember GWs idiocy than Clinton's.

Edit: in no way is that a ringing endorsement from me to any democrats. I'll be voting third party. Again.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Is there really even a scandal with Hilary? I mean besides a pretend one?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

I can agree with much of what you said about the scandals. But I still think there isn't a republican that can win. I know history doesn't support my stance. I think people will bore with trump. After that, they are left with what? Bush, Cruz, or Carson?

By now, it's easier to remember GWs idiocy than Clinton's.

Edit: in no way is that a ringing endorsement from me to any democrats. I'll be voting third party. Again.

The electoral map is tough for a Republican. There are scenarios where they can win Florida, Virginia, Ohio and still not get to 270. Tough road when you need to run the table on swing states.

PJ_Soul said:

100% honest answer: I'm not sure yet.

The email thing is definitely becoming another partisan affair, and that helps Clinton because it mobilizes Democrats and makes it look like she is being attacked unfairly. But the exclusive use of a personal email account, coupled with the potential for lackadaisical care of classified information, still could turn into something real. We'll see where it goes.

JimmyV said:

PJ_Soul said:

100% honest answer: I'm not sure yet.

The email thing is definitely becoming another partisan affair, and that helps Clinton because it mobilizes Democrats and makes it look like she is being attacked unfairly. But the exclusive use of a personal email account, coupled with the potential for lackadaisical care of classified information, still could turn into something real. We'll see where it goes.

I think there is a bit of a cover-up, which is what takes it into scandal territory.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    RiotZact said:

For me it goes Clinton < Biden < Sanders so I hope he runs for two reason 1. If Bernie gets pushed out of the race I would much prefer him over Clinton and 2. He could possibly split the vote with Hillary and allow Bernie to get in.

I agree with this order....
    I would def feel more comfortable voting for Biden than Hillary.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

An hour long meeting with progressive superstar Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts? Likely kicking the tires on her as a potential VP in the Biden administration and anointing her as the presumptive nominee in 2020? This is so much more interesting than anything Donald Trump is doing.

• rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Run Joe run!
    cuz if H is the Democratic nominee, I will either be abstaining or voting Repuke for the first time.
  • CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    edited September 2015
    Anybody see Uncle Joe on Colbert? I seen a few clips , thought it looked pretty good. He definitely has a way of connecting that Hillary and Bernie don't have. I think if he runs, he will get the nomination.
    Post edited by CH156378 on
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    JimmyV said:

Is the buzz for real? Is he getting ready to jump in the race? Feels like he is the establishment's backup plan in case Hillary goes down in a blaze of scandal. I personally love the guy but I've never seen him as being #1 candidate material. But he might make the Democratic Primary a better race if he gets into it.

Thoughts?

Eh eh eh.

Thoughts?

Not Candidate material?!?!?!?

Dubya was elected Twice! Oh Trump and Palin. Hell Cruz and Huckabee.

Enough said. :)
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    i don't think joe will jump in. he is already way behind in fundraising, (sad we have to consider that), and i am not sure how much he wants to tie himself to obama.

sure obama has accomplished some great things, and any true democrat would run on that stuff, but fox news is making dems want to run away from that stuff. the dems are stupid enough to do just that instead of fight for it and be proud of it.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Will he? Looks like maybe.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/joe-biden-hillary-clinton_55fc5c70e4b0fde8b0ce25bb

A group of prominent Democratic Party fundraisers on Friday began circulating a letter to encourage a hesitant Vice President Joe Biden to enter the 2016 race for U.S. president.

"We write today to publicly announce our support for Vice President Biden, to urge him to join the Presidential race, and to pledge our support if he does," they write in the letter, a copy of which was seen by Reuters.

It calls the Obama-Biden administration a "spectacular success." It cites job creation, a lower unemployment rate, new health insurance policies for nearly nine million Americans and the end of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"To finish the job, America needs a leader who is respected both home and abroad, and who understands the real challenges facing American families. In our opinion, the next president must be Joe Biden. If he announces he’s running, we’re all in. It’s a campaign we know he will win," the letter says.

The signees are largely party financiers who have yet to throw their support behind Hillary Clinton, the presumptive front-runner for the Democratic nomination to the November 2016 election. Their call is the most provocative yet for Biden to take her on. The letter makes no mention of Clinton.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

i don't think joe will jump in. he is already way behind in fundraising, (sad we have to consider that), and i am not sure how much he wants to tie himself to obama.

sure obama has accomplished some great things, and any true democrat would run on that stuff, but fox news is making dems want to run away from that stuff. the dems are stupid enough to do just that instead of fight for it and be proud of it.

Looking like he's got plenty of money to work with.
  • He's getting urged because his party is seeing an independent from Vermont coming in and making everyone else look bad. The trouble in this is, I see him taking more votes from Hillary, not Bernie.
    looking to hear of the earth