PEARL JAM: REISSUE YOUR CATALOG ON VINYL

Comments

• kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    The band has already said they'll get to it, just not right now.
  • kramer73 wrote:
    The band has already said they'll get to it, just not right now.

I think next year would be a safe bet, they've gotten people's attention with the new record, they'll be touring, it makes sense that they would take advantage of the renewed interest.

They should just get Music On Vinyl to handle them - they always do a great job, they're affordable, makes perfect sense!
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    When they continue the catalog re-issues....it will be done : )

but they won't be reissuing the entire catalog. only the sony stuff, right?

That's everything except the last 2, which are readily available.
  • VOLAREVOLARE Posts: 313
    In seattle for the show. Wanted to go do the pop up. I'm ultimately glad it was too cold to wait that long. Went over to east street records. Grew up with record stores and always loved shopping them as a teen for albums. Gotta say though that the prices for everything are really high. Saw temple of the dog for 50bucks. Saw ITW for 50bucks saw bleach and never mind for 50 bucks. I still have some records from my original teenage album collection but after what I saw albums going for I have to stick to CDs. Got Benny on cd and really love it.

I give it up to you album collectors. Man what an expensive endeavor to hear your favs on vinyl.

Maybe I can just hang out at your houses and listen to your collections like I did with my friends as a poor teenager!!!
    8-28-92 Harriet Island
    6-16-93 University Theatre, UM
    2-8-95 Adams Field House
    6-20-98 Washington-Grizzly Stadium
    5-28-03 Adams Field House
    8-29-05 Adams Field House
    7-22-06 Gorge Amphitheater
    9-3-11 Alpine Valley
    9-30-12 Adams Field House
    10-31-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    11-01-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    9-6-13 Key Arena
    6-20-14 Milan
    6-22-14 Trieste
    11-28-15 Mexico City
  • maverickmaverick Posts: 1,181
    I would love to pick up a few studio LP's on vinyl. It would be nice if they were reissued. Can't hurt right? Print on demand like Vault #3… Win win. Fans happy, money made, very little inventory kept. Why not?
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Bump. For obvious reasons.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • RD101189RD101189 A distant time, a distant space Posts: 454
    Now Eurpoean bootleggers are making money off colored vinyl versions of albums that haven't been reissued. This would put those guys out of business or at least severely limit their market opportunity. Re-release No-Code through Pearl Jam!
    09/08/1992 - Phoenix, AZ
    07/08/1998 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/21/2000 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/19/2013 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/22/2014 - Denver, CO
    05/09/2022 - Phoenix, AZ
    09/22/2022 - Denver, CO
  • JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,406
    lastexit said:

BeerBaron" said:
    The thing that I find odd about bands who have not jumped on the vinyl reissue train is that this is essentially the only format that allows bands to sell their music. No one buys CDs anymore - people just download them/copy them. But vinyl sells because people want the physical product.

If the reissued the catalog tomorrow I would buy every single one without hesitation, as would hundreds, probably thousands of others around here.

So what is stopping them?
    And then all the others beyond the ones lucky enough to scoop up the hundreds of re-issues would bitch at the Tenclub because they didn't release them when they weren't sleeping, at work, etc. The Tenclub can't win.

What do you mean? If they reissue it, everyone could buy a fucking copy if they're sleeping, working, playing, fucking off...if it's restocked it's there for sale period. No ones going to miss out.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 889
    edited August 2014
    Awesome post, as I bought the recent bootleg copies from Europe!
  • Great Thread OP
  • Seriously. Ppl vinyl is huge now. Store adding vinyl sections. Record players sold at department stores everywhere. All kinds of bands including new ones issuing vinyl. But my favorite band hasn't reissued all records on vinyl so ppl gouge us on eBay and other sites. Hundreds of dollars for riot act and lost dogs??? Really? Sadly, normal middle class moms like me won't have them at those prices. Rent, clothes, shoes and everything else for my kids come first.
    I'll keep waiting....
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    get it done! put the market out of business!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    I can't believe its gone on this long. I've been trying to wait patiently.......but its a getting a little ridiculous.
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Yep. Vinyl is even back in Target stores now. I have teens who favor vinyl over their ipods now.

Only people PJ is hurting by not reissuing is the fans. Trust me. I dont care if my copy of Yield drops in value down to $30. It shouldnt be worth $120 in the first place.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,944
    Benaroya sold out pretty quick in the first place. I think it sold out in around 24 hours or so. Within a year and change it was already going for several hundred on ebay. I think Benaroya was intended as a special limited release. I doubt it ever gets a repressing.

In regards to the studio albums. I think the band (or 10c) most likely want to keep rolling with the boxsets. The problem is the band/10c aren't always the fastest to do things. If they release the vinyl standalone before the boxsets, it would be hard to get people to double dip. Hence you sell them the boxset up front. I do think it's pretty crazy they haven't gotten the next one yet. It's been a while since the last set.

Last note. Vinyl is getting very popular but it's not that popular. It still only makes up for a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of overall music sales. Still need to keep it in perspective :)
  • FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    FrankieG said:

:thumbup: I would buy a record player if they started doing this.. :lol:

Well, I bought a record player! My end of the deal has been made, your turn PJ!
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
    Well yeah Vinyl will never take over again but to press 4,000 copies each of No Code-Avocado would absolutely make them a profit and help satisfy the fans.
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874

This is getting annoying. I don't even fucking buy vinyl, but it just makes ZERO sense to me that this band who "spins the black circle" can't help out their fans and reissue their catalog on vinyl when they are paying hundreds, and in some cases, over a thousand dollars to get the first presses.

I get it. Benny was a limited run of 2000. So reissue it with variances. Make the box fucking puke green or something so the originals "retain their value" so not to piss off those who spent hundreds and years tracking one down.

When other bands put out vinyl nowadays, and it goes out of stock, they RESTOCK IT. Vinyl is no longer a niche market. Every goddamn big box store sells turntables now. Is this not a hint?

PJ20 vinyl went out of stock quick. You did a great job with the vault 3 release of it being made to order.

Reissue the fan club singles to current members. You hate flippers so much? PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS.

Stop selling at these pop up shops for market value. Seriously.

Reward your fans as much as they've rewarded you. You do so live. Why not with your studio music as well?

Yes, to everything here. I have never understood why they don't just press more. It should be a clue when their albums are getting widely bootlegged. The new pressings don't have to be remastered or fucked with in any way. WAY smaller bands do this every damn day. I look forward to the day when I can laugh at all of the $200+ prices/ransom for vinyl in the Lost Dogs section.

BTW, isn't this supposed to be a "community" that helps each other? Why does every record seller in the marketplace seem to be asking TOP ebay prices? Not asking for a freebie, but why would anyone buy from someone here when they could probably get it for much lower on the bay? The repressing of expensive records would put the brakes on that nonsense.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2

BTW, isn't this supposed to be a "community" that helps each other? Why does every record seller in the marketplace seem to be asking TOP ebay prices? Not asking for a freebie, but why would anyone buy from someone here when they could probably get it for much lower on the bay? The repressing of expensive records would put the brakes on that nonsense.

Isn't the going prices on Lost Dogs (the marketplace forum) about 10% less than ebay? Not everyone does it, but it's customary to sell it for a bit cheaper as you don't have pay ebay's fees. Both ebay and the lost dogs forum seem to charge around marketplace.

I have all the vinyl and I'm not even willing to sell it at current market prices. How much do you think you'd have to offer me to break up my PJ collection. $1000/record? $2000/record? I'm not sure :) People are selling for market price because they aren't willing to sell it for lower. At $250 maybe they'll sell l02l. At $100 they'd rather keep it. Everyone has their price. I know mine is way higher than market prices :)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Name me one major band (Pearl Jam is a major band right... right?) that has not re-released most or all of their catalog on vinyl. Heck, even a lot of not-so-major bands have done it- Mission of Burma, Dinosaur Jr., etc.

COME ON GUYS!!!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SK203708SK203708 Posts: 48
    edited July 2015
    Well, reissueing the LPs is one thing - doing it properly and with care is another. If they keep the reissues as box-set-firsts, they probably stay in line -qualitywise- with the box sets that were already released. And the way (esp. Vs. and Vitalogy) those vinyl-reissues were handled was a shame. It's mindblowing how reckless PJ are treating the format - pressing at GZ, like they do the Vault-releases, says a whole lot. I recently compared the first 3 albums - reissues vs. originals. The reissues sound horrable - and as the originals aren't perect either that says a whole lot. I'd be in for reissues or a whole vinyl-box-set of all studio-albums in a second - if done properly. The way the band (or management) handels vinyl-issues these days and in the recent past doesn't make me very hopeful that we'll see a "worthy" reissue-campaign in the near future (or ever). The first step in the right direction would be to go to a premiere pressing plant and to get masters and lacquers cut by top notch professionals like cb or bg.
    Post edited by SK203708 on
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    SK203708 said:

Well, reissueing the LPs is one thing - doing it properly and with care is another. If they keep the reissues as box-set-firsts, they probably stay in line -qualitywise- with the box sets that were already release. And they way (esp. Vs. and Vitalogy) those vinyl-reissues were handled was a shame. It's mindblowing how reckless PJ are treating the format - pressing at GZ, like they do the Vault-releases, says a whole lot. I recently compared the first 3 albums - reissues vs. originals. The reissues sound horrable - and as the originals aren't perect either that says a whole lot. I'd be in for reissues are a whole vinyl-box-set of all studio-albums in a second - if done properly. The way the band (or management) handels vinyl-issues today and in the recent past doesn't make me very hopeful that we'll see a "worthy" reissue-campaign in the near future (or ever). The first step in the right direction would be to go to a premiere pressing plant and to get masters and lacquers cut by top notch professionals like cb or bg.

:clap:
    perfectly stated, sir.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    I understand them not reissuing things such as the Benny or singles and what not. Those are one off items that are limited edition and I can live with never hearing them on vinyl, I get it.

Now, with that being said, not being able to purchase studio albums in the shop makes ZERO sense.

I'm 23. All of my friends are starting to buy record players (I've had mine since 2010). It is HUGE and is becoming even bigger with us college age people. You want to reach out to a younger fan base, but make it impossible to buy half of your studio collection when the vinyl market is so hot. Makes no sense.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

I understand them not reissuing things such as the Benny or singles and what not. Those are one off items that are limited edition and I can live with never hearing them on vinyl, I get it.

Now, with that being said, not being able to purchase studio albums in the shop makes ZERO sense.

I'm 23. All of my friends are starting to buy record players (I've had mine since 2010). It is HUGE and is becoming even bigger with us college age people. You want to reach out to a younger fan base, but make it impossible to buy half of your studio collection when the vinyl market is so hot. Makes no sense.

I am glad to hear this....
    revolt against all the shitty MP3 quality stuff out there.
    hopefully PJ will wake up and make their albums available again.... and do it the right way this time.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

A one time repressing would do huge damage to the flippers.

We should be able to see No Code at Barnes and Noble next to every other band. Hell even if just 10club sells them thats fine too. Just press a few thousand of each album from 96-06. Win-win. More money for PJ and more vinyl for us. (Less money for us :D )
    Yah.. maybe they should abandon the boxset idea, pull a Foo Fighters, and re-release all the studio albums. If waiting for boxsets means no vinyl re-releases in the immediate future, than maybe it's time to go a different path. I don't even think they need to be remastered. I love how No Code/Yield/Binaural sound.
    Waiting via the reissue process is silly. I already have the entire works via vinyl and I hate that people have to pay out the *** or wait it out.
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited July 2015
    Perhaps not having a record label behind them limits them. Perhaps being in house has some limitations after all.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Zod said:

Isn't the going prices on Lost Dogs (the marketplace forum) about 10% less than ebay? Not everyone does it, but it's customary to sell it for a bit cheaper as you don't have pay ebay's fees. Both ebay and the lost dogs forum seem to charge around marketplace.

I have all the vinyl and I'm not even willing to sell it at current market prices. How much do you think you'd have to offer me to break up my PJ collection. $1000/record? $2000/record? I'm not sure :) People are selling for market price because they aren't willing to sell it for lower. At $250 maybe they'll sell l02l. At $100 they'd rather keep it. Everyone has their price. I know mine is way higher than market prices :)
    FWIW: I've found much better prices on eBay and Discogs than from my "community" on Lost Dogs.

You can't really trade on those sites, though, which is what makes Lost Dogs worthy of your time. I've made some excellent trades on Lost Dogs (at least from my perspective, meaning that I got something I could use from something I could no longer/would never use; of course, I may have gotten hosed on "market value").
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • SK203708SK203708 Posts: 48
    edited July 2015

Perhaps not having a record label behind them limits them. Perhaps being in house has some limitations after all.

Phish is doing everything in house as well - probably even more so than PJ. If you see how great Phish are handling the reissue-campaign of their studio-album (they have faults, but compared to PJ the Phish-rereleases are vinyl-reissue-heaven), one could only hope PJ would take notice and follow a similar path. But the quick shot without dedicated work (see the vinyl-reissues for the first 3 records) seems the prefered way for the PJ-camp. If they continue with that path, one could argue (I def would) that we can live without official vinyl-reissues of No Code, Yield or Riot Act. Because they'd sound like poo anyway.

Post edited by SK203708 on