Options

Would you be willing to share?

Miss TerriMiss Terri Bucksport, ME USA Posts: 24
Hello! As an undergraduate student, I have been assigned to write an ethnography essay and I would appreciate your help. Would you be willing to share your thoughts and opinions about your relationship with the band? How long have you been a fan? What drew you in and keeps you faithful? How many shows have you attended and how far have you traveled to see Pearl Jam? Have they influenced you socially, politically or otherwise? Thanks for your help and I look forward to hearing your thoughts :)
Makes much more sense to live in the present tense....

Vedder-Boston 6/16/2011
Pearl Jam~Worcester, MA 10/15/2013
Pearl Jam~Fenway Park 8/07/2016

Comments

• Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    edited May 2015
    It's a hopeless situation, and I'm starting to believe that this hopeless situation is what I'm trying to achieve. But I try to run on towards all or none.

....here's the selfless confession leading me back to war--Can we help that our destinations are the ones we've been before? (I still try to run on towards all or none.)

To "myself", I surrender to the one I'll never please.
    I still try to run on--(but I still try) to run on--but it's all or none.
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing :)

Vedder-Boston 6/16/2011
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Im fan from the beggining
    i am from Greece and saw the band 38 times..1time in my country 37 times abroad
    and im travelling to see them 7 times at SA at november 15..i saw them in 20 different countries..and with SA in 3 different continents..so i travel alot for see them live
    i love the band cos give me speciall feelings and something pure and unique..
    as for influence politically..i would say no..being from greece some things are different.society is different here ..and im antigun anti war myself so its cool the band ia in the same path
    great thread..thanks for that
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,499
    PJ keep me strong and true..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Thank you for this! Love hearing more about the fans!!

Vedder-Boston 6/16/2011
  • Options
    rtwilli4rtwilli4 Posts: 261
    They care so much about their fans, without caring what anyone thinks of their music.
    They are able to let go of all inhibitions without forgetting about their fans.
    They understand how important their music is without forgetting that they are just a tiny speck in the circus that is mankind.
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,924
    I have been a fan since December 25, 1993, when my brother gave me Vs. for Christmas. I was eleven, so I've basically spent two thirds of my life as a hardcore fan. I might have known their radio hits from Ten, but I don't recall; I just know Vs. blew my mind as it was so different from the music my friends listened to. I didn't see them live until 2000, Virginia Beach, their first show after the Roskilde tragedy. The tickets were a high school graduation gift from my parents. I've seen them 16 times in all, the longest trip being from Virginia to Wisconsin for PJ20, but I wish I had the resources to see them in another country. They have certainly influenced me, in several ways, directly or indirectly. The fact that they weren't just a sex-drugs-rock n roll-band, but a group of musicians that had integrity and something to say, gave me in return something to respect and aspire to, which was good for an angsty teen boy. I've learned a lot about music from them, whether through their music, the bands they tour with or mention as influences, or in the songs they cover. The same could be said about their political actions. I'm inspired by the amount of charities and causes they support, and that they use their platform to try to make a positive impact on the world. I might not always agree with their causes or statements, but I always appreciate that they take a stand. Overall, being a fan of their music, going to their shows, and meeting other fans, makes me a really happy human, and besides friends and family they are what I'm most thankful for in life.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    Love your post and especially the details that you shared. I agree with you completely about the artistic integrity and being true to their principles. They have inspired me to always be the best possible version of myself, which is part of the reason that I chose to go back to school after losing my job of 27 years. Ed, especially, has always stressed the importance of education, and how can that be a bad thing? Thanks, again, for sharing your experiences.

Vedder-Boston 6/16/2011
  • Options
    SuzyntheqSuzyntheq Posts: 48
    When I first saw the video for Alive and especially Eddie's performance in it, you know, when he's singing "I can't remember anything to this very day"... I was hooked. I saw the video again the next day and really loved the song so went down to the local record store to buy the album. Well it hadn't been released yet so I had to pre-order it and wait! I may be the first in my town to own Ten. I still play this original cd and have bought every album since. Pearl Jam have been the soundtrack to my adult life, I get as excited buying a new release from them now as I did when I was 20 yo trying to buy Ten!