Home Recordings - post em'

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
I've got a batch of about 10-15 songs in demo form that my band-mate Matt and I never got around to. I thought I'd share some of the one's I like with you all. Would love to talk home recording set ups you all use, and can post back what I use here in the home 'studio' in terms of gear. Feel free to send along comments/critiques/etc,. I'm always looking for ways to improve and/or refine what I do gear wise and song writing wise.

www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Very mellow, I liked the fading in and out synthesizer (I assume that's what it was), it helped the song progress. My favorite part was when the second guitar came in around 3:05

These are my favorites of my collection:

Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    That was 6 string electric - with some crazy spaced out echo/reverb effects that made notes hang. Synth strings on the right as it faded out!
    www.cluthelee.com
    haha that's sick!
    ehbacon said:

haha that's sick!

I ran a Boss ME-50 board through Garageband effects - I think the sustained bit comes from the ME-50 and the GB settings were set to some kind of 'space' echo/delay effect. The acoustic is a 6 string Fender cutaway from 1996 (my one and only acoustic) and was mic'd using two EV Cobalt instrument mics one above the body, one pointed at the 3rd fret and a Shure SM100 (I think) instrument mic at the sound hole. Drums were mic'd using a combination of those 3 mic's plus two condensor mics and a Shure Kick Drum mic placed just left of the bass drum hole. Electric was line in, as was the Fender P-Bass, along with GB orchestra synth.
    www.cluthelee.com
    ehbacon said:

Very mellow, I liked the fading in and out synthesizer (I assume that's what it was), it helped the song progress. My favorite part was when the second guitar came in around 3:05

What set up did you use for these? The first one sounds polished, second one sounds raw! Very demo-y!
    www.cluthelee.com
    I remember recording this one well. My wife and I were a few months from having our first child and I packed up the drum kit to make some space. This was the first demo I wrote up without the drum kit in a very long time. Bells, shaker, bongos and hand claps were my tools on the rhythm bit here. The P-Bass I actually mic'd up my Fender Princeton 115 (from 1994) and played the bass through it. I used both my EV Cobalt instrument mics up on the speaker of the amp and then used some EQ to smooth things out. It's the only time I've ever done it and it was a PAIN IN THE ASS trying to find the right place for the mics on the amp. I actually ended up with one right on the speaker mesh cover and the other one like 2-3 feet off the amp just off to the left of the speaker.

www.cluthelee.com
    edited May 2015

ehbacon said:

What set up did you use for these? The first one sounds polished, second one sounds raw! Very demo-y!
    Both I recorded with my Yamaha FGX-730SC Acoustic-Electric guitar plugged directly into my Lexicon Alpha. This was before I got the Shure SM57. The second one was when I had little experience recording, but I had gotten it down by the time I had gotten to the first one.

I'm 15 and don't have any money so I look for the cheapest way to get a good result possible.

Edit: also, nice fender princeton, I have the 650 :smiley:
    Post edited by ehbacon on
  • All Those YesterdaysAll Those Yesterdays Posts: 2,723
    edited May 2015
    This is one of the older batch from a recording project called "Hannah's Pocket" I've been involved with for 12 years. This song was off the EP "Something Next To Nothing" that we released.

Just a background, everything we record is done on 1" reel to reel tape on a 24 tract recorder. Everything was done in house, mixing, producing, engineering. We then pass it to a friend who does the mastering. Gear details I'll have to go take a look at the original tracking sheets although I believe a Jackson 12 string, is in there for sure!

E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Here is the opening track off the above noted EP. I've always had a thing for playing Octaves on guitar. This pretty much proves that ha ha. A Gibson Minuteman amp gets used pretty much non stop on this. I also use a Danelectro DC a bunch.

E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

Here is the opening track off the above noted EP. I've always had a thing for playing Octaves on guitar. This pretty much proves that ha ha. A Gibson Minuteman amp gets used pretty much non stop on this. I also use a Danelectro DC a bunch.

I love this song man! Big fan of octaves myself. Great sound, thanks for sharing with us!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Mostly old stuff here, but I don't have a recording system at the moment:
    https://m.soundcloud.com/penguin-studio
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Here is the opening track off the above noted EP. I've always had a thing for playing Octaves on guitar. This pretty much proves that ha ha. A Gibson Minuteman amp gets used pretty much non stop on this. I also use a Danelectro DC a bunch.

I love this song man! Big fan of octaves myself. Great sound, thanks for sharing with us!
    Thanks for the kind words. That song was extremely old to me when it was finally recorded for that album. I know we scrapped the entire recordings for it more then once. Multiple live drum takes. Finally going back to the original version of the drums and just redoing all the guitars, bass, vocals etc. There is definitely a Peavey T-60 guitar on that, my Danelectro DC, all old Sennheiser E609 for the guitar cabinet micing. We have never been a fan of the go to SM-57. The few we have just sit on the shelf. I fell I EQ the heck out of anything I use a SM-57 on.
    Tascam 1" 24 track Reel to Reel with a Tascam 32 channel mixer, all circa 1990s.

Here is the opening track off the above noted EP. I've always had a thing for playing Octaves on guitar. This pretty much proves that ha ha. A Gibson Minuteman amp gets used pretty much non stop on this. I also use a Danelectro DC a bunch.

Thanks for the kind words. That song was extremely old to me when it was finally recorded for that album. I know we scrapped the entire recordings for it more then once. Multiple live drum takes. Finally going back to the original version of the drums and just redoing all the guitars, bass, vocals etc. There is definitely a Peavey T-60 guitar on that, my Danelectro DC, all old Sennheiser E609 for the guitar cabinet micing. We have never been a fan of the go to SM-57. The few we have just sit on the shelf. I fell I EQ the heck out of anything I use a SM-57 on.
    Tascam 1" 24 track Reel to Reel with a Tascam 32 channel mixer, all circa 1990s.
    My bandmate Matt (mfc2006) and I are hoping to get in a studio together at some point to record a record. I'm very envious of those that have had this experience.
    www.cluthelee.com

Mostly old stuff here, but I don't have a recording system at the moment:
    https://m.soundcloud.com/penguin-studio

Awesome! I have to ask though, how did you manage to get a cover song up on Soundcloud? I'd love to know!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Here are a few tracks from my recording project Hannah's Pocket, that were done after the EP was released. We never mastered these tracks. They are just sort of stuck in limbo. These songs consisted from two different live drum sessions that were about a year apart from each other. I was on the kick of not having a click track and just let things be natural. Now a days I wish I would of done that differently. But they are what they are.

First song is called "Anymore". This recording session began my obsession with amps with 6V6's and guitars with P90s. Main guitar is a Hamer with two P90s (don't remember the name of it). I have a little Bronson amp from the 60s, that is about 18 to 20 watts with 6V6s and a tube rectifier. This amp must of been made by a company and rebranded by many other companies. I've seen this exact amp with a different company name on it four or five times now.

Next song is called "Death By High Miles". Same recording session as the one above. The Bronson amp is all over this song. Also lots of P90 guitars...

Next up is a quick pop punk deal called "Runaway".

Finally is a track titled "Quarry" a corky faster mess of a song.

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395

Awesome! I have to ask though, how did you manage to get a cover song up on Soundcloud? I'd love to know!

The only covers posted on that page are the obvious PJ ones, which I posted to share with everyone here on a previous post. Everything else is stuff I wrote. I didn't do anything special to post the covers, just posted them. I'm sure I'll eventually get flagged for it, but it's not like I'm making any money off it, just sharing some covers with some PJ geeks.

The original material spans about ten years, and varies from live recordings to demos to an EP. I was writing a lot more back when I had someplace to use material, I really need to get either a band or a recording setup (or maybe both). My ProTools rig is halfway across the country right now, being used by a friend with his band, so I haven't even seen it in five years. I hear it still works, though.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Stickman12Stickman12 Posts: 504
    To all, I dont have anything to post on here to share but wanted to say you are all very talented. Keep it up, awesome job.
  • Awesome! I have to ask though, how did you manage to get a cover song up on Soundcloud? I'd love to know!

The only covers posted on that page are the obvious PJ ones, which I posted to share with everyone here on a previous post. Everything else is stuff I wrote. I didn't do anything special to post the covers, just posted them. I'm sure I'll eventually get flagged for it, but it's not like I'm making any money off it, just sharing some covers with some PJ geeks.

The original material spans about ten years, and varies from live recordings to demos to an EP. I was writing a lot more back when I had someplace to use material, I really need to get either a band or a recording setup (or maybe both). My ProTools rig is halfway across the country right now, being used by a friend with his band, so I haven't even seen it in five years. I hear it still works, though.
    I know that feeling. I know my current situation with the recording project is much more laid back and flexible. No longer are we going like made to get together as much as possible. With a 2 year old that was extremely hard. So now its a few hours on the weekend once or twice a month. Still keeps the interest up.

I know that feeling. I know my current situation with the recording project is much more laid back and flexible. No longer are we going like made to get together as much as possible. With a 2 year old that was extremely hard. So now its a few hours on the weekend once or twice a month. Still keeps the interest up.
    Summer's off might help me reignite that spark...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    pjpjpaul said:

This is catchy as hell man! Love this one!
    www.cluthelee.com

A little weird thing I did with a dance track loop - mixed up with live drums, guitars, bass.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578

I remember recording this one well. My wife and I were a few months from having our first child and I packed up the drum kit to make some space. This was the first demo I wrote up without the drum kit in a very long time. Bells, shaker, bongos and hand claps were my tools on the rhythm bit here. The P-Bass I actually mic'd up my Fender Princeton 115 (from 1994) and played the bass through it. I used both my EV Cobalt instrument mics up on the speaker of the amp and then used some EQ to smooth things out. It's the only time I've ever done it and it was a PAIN IN THE ASS trying to find the right place for the mics on the amp. I actually ended up with one right on the speaker mesh cover and the other one like 2-3 feet off the amp just off to the left of the speaker.

I dig this one a lot. You ever come up with lyrics for it ?
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23

I dig this one a lot. You ever come up with lyrics for it ?
    I haven't. I thought maybe I'd focus on my writing & singing more this summer & see if I can't do an album of my own!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • edited June 2015
    Some great stuff here!
    This is me https://www.reverbnation.com/spinningrocks

Post edited by Dr.Teeth and the Electric Mayh on
    looking to hear of the earth

Some great stuff here!
    This is me https://www.reverbnation.com/spinningrocks

I love how you stitched together your drum loops on Wild Woman! Very cool song!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Thanks man. I did those two on GarageBand with some loops I found online. Since then I have been using logic and found some better loops. Hope to post those soon.

Thanks man. I did those two on GarageBand with some loops I found online. Since then I have been using logic and found some better loops. Hope to post those soon.

Where can I find loops like the one you used? That would save me a ton of time stitching things together to make em' flow.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • If you use torrents or perhaps reddit, loop loft loops are really great.
  • Also if there are any real drummers out there in Massachusetts or the central New England area I'd love to jam.