U.S. Soccer Thread

Comments

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    ldent42 said:

imalive said:

I've been to a few Philadelphia Union games. DOOP! There is a Union thread on here I remember. Stadium is great unfortunately it's in Chester, PA image

They're not off to a great start though, I think they are like 0-2-2.

Oh hell, that's fine....they treat ties like they're a good thing.
    meh. actually 0-3-2 and in last place. Luckily the season just began though.
    Union won their first game of the year this past weekend :smile:
    I'm getting ready to head out to the rematch at YS. I read that Mix wants to play tonight and that he got back to NY a few hours ago, so I hope Kries lets him and he brings some of that energy he had in the USMNT game last night.
    Go Union! :wink:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Well at least we didn't lose
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    edited April 2015
    ldent42 said:

Well at least we didn't lose

it was a good game
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Can't believe Montreal has a chance to win the CONCACAF Champions League tonight. Obviously the CCL is nothing compared to the UEFA CL, but still would be pretty cool to see an MLS team win it. Craziest part is Montreal is one of the worst teams in the MLS and still somehow pulled this off...
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I'll be cheering for Montreal! Not a Montreal fan, but am an MLS fan, so anything that raises the stature of the league is good for all teams. All US & Canadian soccer fans should be pulling for Montreal tonight.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I just can't do MLS....our Salt Lake team has not put the ball in the net in 316 minutes. So exciting.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

I just can't do MLS....our Salt Lake team has not put the ball in the net in 316 minutes. So exciting.

Yeah, I have felt the same way the past few years. Love watching EPL and La Liga. I've been giving MLS more of a chance this year....helpful that the Fire have actually been decent so far.
    Well, I'm a Sounders fan first, have been since NASL days. Then A League, then USL. Now that we're in MLS I obviously want the league to continue to grow, continue to garner more respect around the world, and be able to develop great players at home. There is obviously still a quality difference between the MLS and top flight Euro leagues, but given the extremely low salary cap, and the short time the league has existed, I think it is on a nice trajectory toward becoming more than a league for young players, and older Euros looking for a place to retire.
    jeffbr said:

I think it is on a nice trajectory toward becoming more than a league for young players, and older Euros looking for a place to retire.

judging from my team's roster I'd say you are correct.

I think it's a great time to be an MLS fan. Tickets are affordable, the games are (usually) quite entertaining and because the fanbase is still relatively small you get really passionate people at the games and at the watch parties.

NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    ldent42 said:

jeffbr said:

I think it is on a nice trajectory toward becoming more than a league for young players, and older Euros looking for a place to retire.

I think it's a great time to be an MLS fan. Tickets are affordable, the games are (usually) quite entertaining and because the fanbase is still relatively small you get really passionate people at the games and at the watch parties.

the league is making a huge mistake in expanding too much. they are talking about possibly getting up to 30 teams in the near future. that is way way too many. the level of play now is still remarkably low compared to the top tier European leagues and they are going to add more teams? that's just dumb. they started out with the right idea of less teams, smaller stadiums and letting it grow naturally but now they seem in a hurry. they should take a cue from the NHL and realize expanding too much without enough quality players can be a disaster.
    pjhawks said:

ldent42 said:

jeffbr said:

the league is making a huge mistake in expanding too much. they are talking about possibly getting up to 30 teams in the near future. that is way way too many. the level of play now is still remarkably low compared to the top tier European leagues and they are going to add more teams? that's just dumb. they started out with the right idea of less teams, smaller stadiums and letting it grow naturally but now they seem in a hurry. they should take a cue from the NHL and realize expanding too much without enough quality players can be a disaster.
    Completely agree. I feel like I'm reading about MLS expansion every day. The talent pool for the MLS just isn't strong enough yet for the massive expansion that they seem to want.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

pjhawks said:

ldent42 said:

jeffbr said:

Completely agree. I feel like I'm reading about MLS expansion every day. The talent pool for the MLS just isn't strong enough yet for the massive expansion that they seem to want.
    It also doesn't help that the league is rigged and players go to teams the league wants to be good.

pjhawks said:

ldent42 said:

jeffbr said:

It also doesn't help that the league is rigged and players go to teams the league wants to be good.
    Oh my god, yeah. I still have no fucking clue how the 'designated player' stuff works. A friend is a pretty big MLS fan and he has tried to explain it to me several times and I still don't get it.

pjhawks said:

ldent42 said:

jeffbr said:

Oh my god, yeah. I still have no fucking clue how the 'designated player' stuff works. A friend is a pretty big MLS fan and he has tried to explain it to me several times and I still don't get it.
    Yeah, that is a big problem with the single-entity league. No transparency. There's allocation money, allocation order, behind the scenes deals, some teams getting players regardless of selection order, etc... The MLS owns the player contracts as well. Much of this was necessary early on to control the growth. They didn't want another NASL flame out. But I agree that expansion has really become an issue, and is starting to dilute the talent pool. On the flip side, there are now MLS teams actually making money, developing players through academy systems, and supporting second-tier USL teams to accelerate player development. So there are good and bad things happening right now, and hopefully the good will prevail. It is in the interest of every fan of soccer in the US and Canada for the MLS to be successful.
    jeffbr said:

pjhawks said:

ldent42 said:

jeffbr said:

Yeah, that is a big problem with the single-entity league. No transparency. There's allocation money, allocation order, behind the scenes deals, some teams getting players regardless of selection order, etc... The MLS owns the player contracts as well. Much of this was necessary early on to control the growth. They didn't want another NASL flame out. But I agree that expansion has really become an issue, and is starting to dilute the talent pool. On the flip side, there are now MLS teams actually making money, developing players through academy systems, and supporting second-tier USL teams to accelerate player development. So there are good and bad things happening right now, and hopefully the good will prevail. It is in the interest of every fan of soccer in the US and Canada for the MLS to be successful.
    But the allocation order is pretty much bullshit, right? Dempsey wanted to go to Seattle, so he's in Seattle. Ronaldo wants to go to LA, so he will end up in LA in a couple years.

jeffbr said:

pjhawks said:

ldent42 said:

jeffbr said:

But the allocation order is pretty much bullshit, right? Dempsey wanted to go to Seattle, so he's in Seattle. Ronaldo wants to go to LA, so he will end up in LA in a couple years.
    Oh, definitely! That is what I meant by lack of transparency and teams getting players regardless of order. Red Bulls and Galaxy were notorious for this for quite a while, as the MLS was clearly trying to build up the teams in the 2 major media markets. Hell, Beckham was brought in before anyone even knew about designated player exceptions. But I think the DP rule has helped bring some big names and generated interest the league otherwise wouldn't have received. And the Sounders are certainly benefiting now with Dempsey. LA will be getting Gerard this Summer in what was probably funny business. CR7 has talked about MLS, which likely means NY or LA. I definitely dislike the structure of the league currently, and hope that it evolves into something less dictatorial, and more open.
    I can't talk shit about expansion teams cuz mine is one.

I'm also not sure I agree with the idea that there ain't enough talent in the pool to draw from. What are we talking about here? Like that Morris kid who wants to finish his degree before he signs with any MLS team? I don't know how they recruit players but if they're only looking at schools' teams then the problem is with the recruiting process.
    ldent42 said:

I can't talk shit about expansion teams cuz mine is one.

I'm also not sure I agree with the idea that there ain't enough talent in the pool to draw from. What are we talking about here? Like that Morris kid who wants to finish his degree before he signs with any MLS team? I don't know how they recruit players but if they're only looking at schools' teams then the problem is with the recruiting process.

I think Jordan Morris is a good example of where we've come recently. I think the talent pool comment by me was that there just aren't enough of those examples yet, but I do believe because of the success of a number of MLS clubs, that talent pool is absolutely growing. The Sounders just send Yedlin to the EPL. He was a homegrown player, played local club soccer (I watched him as a 14 and 15 year old - he was in the same club as my son), went into the Sounders Academy program, played college ball for Akron, got signed by the team, played for a year, made the USMNT WC squad, and immediately got interest from Europe. Jordan Morris is similar. Played in a local club, then into Sounders Academy, on to college ball at Stanford, picked up by the USMNT for a friendly, and is talking with the Sounders about his pro future. I think we'll see more and more examples of this, but it takes time. The structure has to be in place to start developing these kids at a young age, and until recently there just weren't quality academy programs, and US High School soccer was definitely not producing these players. College soccer isn't much better as they don't get enough games, and the level of play isn't as high.

But there are some great homegrown players coming up the ranks in many MLS club organizations now, and as long as these teams keep making money, and investing it into the system, we'll see results sooner rather than later.

I've been to a few Philadelphia Union games. DOOP! There is a Union thread on here I remember. Stadium is great unfortunately it's in Chester, PA image

They're not off to a great start though, I think they are like 0-2-2.

wow we suck, 1-7-3

looked horrible the past few games
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Finally the hammer is starting to come down on FIFA. Although nothing will change until Blatter is gone....

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/sports/soccer/fifa-officials-arrested-on-corruption-charges-blatter-isnt-among-them.html
    Sheeeeeeet. Just found out the golf cup final is in Philly. Man, I would love a US-Mexico final here.

Sheeeeeeet. Just found out the golf cup final is in Philly. Man, I would love a US-Mexico final here.

That's awesome. Unfortunately U.S. won't be playing in Chicago at all during the Gold Cup. Hard for them to host big games here since the opposing team usually gets a ton of fan support...especially a CONCACAF game.

Tough test today with the friendly against the Dutch.

That's awesome. Unfortunately U.S. won't be playing in Chicago at all during the Gold Cup. Hard for them to host big games here since the opposing team usually gets a ton of fan support...especially a CONCACAF game.

Tough test today with the friendly against the Dutch.
    If it ended up to be US-Mexico, I would imagine Mexico would have a pretty strong showing here. Really hoping the US makes the final. The third place game is also here but seeing them play for a trophy would be all kinds of awesome.

I don't know the format of the tournament, but would be sweet if Mexico got Costa Rica in knockout rather than the US getting them. Have to figure it's between those three teams. Either Mexico or Costa Rica in the semis would be tough.

Needed to score that.
    Needed to score that one too
    Bradley looks good. Read he was garbage so far in the MLS
    Or that one
    Yep, bites them in the ass
    Zardes is killing me. Brutal.

And of course as soon as I post that, he puts one in. Pretty goal....great ball from Johnson.

HAHAHAH.